Pennsylvania Duck

Bradyn Swinson Enters Transfer Portal

The bleeding continues.  But then, I suppose every team in America is experiencing the same thing, save Georgia & TCU, maybe.

Oregon EDGE player Bradyn Swinson enters the transfer portal

247SPORTS.COM

Oregon sophomore EDGE player Bradyn Swinson has become the __th player to enter the transfer portal. Swinson's entry was...

Did we even have an edge rusher?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/1/2022 at 2:36 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

I know.  It didn't appear like it.  Tosh L's defensive schemes, maybe.  Also maybe why he's transferring?

On 12/1/2022 at 2:40 PM, Mic said:

I know.  It didn't appear like it.  Tosh L's defensive schemes, maybe.  Also maybe why he's transferring?

Brandon Buckner, Jayden Navarrete, Anthony Jones and Baby Winston signed last year,  Terrell Tillman could convert back from TE,  Jabril McNiel.

Maybe Trevon Mae slims back down. Of course some of them hit the portal as well.

We have three edge commits. We might grab some portal edge guys

Edited by DazeNconfused

I would rather have true freshmen playing on defense in a number of positions. If the new player can grasp the system then its easier to endure the growing pains.

Gosh, a number of players on the defense seemed lost all season long. #44 was one of them. He either didnt understand his role, didn't want to understand his role or was incapable of executing.

I wish him well and success moving forward

Edited by HappyToBeADuck
Hit send too soon

He regressed in the last year, and saw the numbers of edge rushers verbally committed to Oregon, and yet Lanning is pursuing some more big names yet.  Not a surprise to me; we tried a 3-Star who did not work out, so now we take that scholarship and see if someone else does.  It is a numbers game....

Eeyore.jpg

Oh my...or maybe Oregon is going into the crapper?

(Tongue-in-cheek)

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

A not especially informed fan opinion?

Keep an eye on non-west coast kids who have been around a season or two (or three) and don't have a near guaranteed path to 3/4 of snaps on either side of the ball next season.

If you think you are going to sit, why do it way across the country? 

It is always interesting to follow. I will suggest the number of (fairly) highly rated kids who have left early without making much of a UO mark? Mostly haven't gone on to their next step and blown the doors off the thing. That said, hanging onto DJ James instead of having him go to Auburn, probably would have meaningfully helped the defense. DT Jayson Jones as well; but, you are gonna win some and lose some.

Edited by AnotherOD

On 12/1/2022 at 5:36 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

If you consider 8 tackles and no sacks edge rusher-worthy stats. He did a lot better last year under the old system, but regressed this season. Look for him at Texas Tech, Miami or Nevada.

Edited by DrJacksPlaidPants

On 12/1/2022 at 5:34 PM, Mic said:

The bleeding continues.  But then, I suppose every team in America is experiencing the same thing, save Georgia & TCU, maybe.

Yes. Look at all of the WR’s from Bama and Tennessee who hit the portal yesterday. If they weren’t WR1 it seems like they hit the road. Keep in mind, we have more scholarship offers than scholarships to give. So they have to make some cuts. Many of these kids (except for Thornton) have probably been encouraged to go find playing time elsewhere.

Edited by DrJacksPlaidPants

Expect guys with C- performance grades to be shown the doo….. uh I mean enter the portal.

• Haha 1

I think it was briefly discussed in another thread? I counted the minimum number of guys entering the portal would be a minimum of 15, with 25 not being a crazy number.

Turning over 20+ kids with an 85 scholarship limit is pretty crazy given what we are used to in a typical off-season. So, one random opinion here is to not be surprised. I'm more interested in where these guys go and what impact they have. It's just a guess but I think the future impact guys -- largely aren't leaving.

On 12/1/2022 at 3:26 PM, AnotherOD said:

I think it was briefly discussed in another thread? I counted the minimum number of guys entering the portal would be a minimum of 15, with 25 not being a crazy number.

Turning over 20+ kids with an 85 scholarship limit is pretty crazy given what we are used to in a typical off-season. So, one random opinion here is to not be surprised. I'm more interested in where these guys go and what impact they have. It's just a guess but I think the future impact guys -- largely aren't leaving.

Or have yet to join the team.

On 12/1/2022 at 2:36 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

#75 ranked defense says, NO

On 12/1/2022 at 3:38 PM, VegasDuck said:

#75 ranked defense says, NO

I put the onus squarely on Tosh Lupoi in that his defense either didn't stress the rush or re-purposed players in other roles within the scheme.  I think that's what 1Ducker1 meant by his question and hence, my answer.  I was left screaming (not literally) at the screen or field: "Rush the passer!' on a lot of occasions this season - mostly to no avail. It's how Penix picked O apart.

On 12/1/2022 at 8:21 PM, Mic said:

I put the onus squarely on Tosh Lupoi in that his defense either didn't stress the rush or re-purposed players in other roles within the scheme.  I think that's what 1Ducker1 meant by his question and hence, my answer.  I was left screaming (not literally) at the screen or field: "Rush the passer!' on a lot of occasions this season - mostly to no avail. It's how Penix picked O apart.

Dazed and I covered this a long time ago.  We were not putting pressure rushing five and six on Eastern Washington, and I believe at that point is when Lanning decided to go with higher percentage with simulated pressures and primarily Cover-2.

You can rush, but if you don't have the talent, then you get eaten alive in explosion plays.  Lanning looked better when he had Georgia talent...right?

But hey...we'll go over again a few times.

FISHDUCK.COM

Duck fans, sometimes two heads are better than one, and amazing minds tend to think alike. It appears Oregon’s head coach Dan Lanning has concluded that the...

Mr. FishDuck

Not a surprise... He had some nice moments but couldn't be consistent. 

I think a lot of our defensive roster will be getting an overhaul for one reason or another. 

Need some edge rushers who can put some serious heat on the quarterback and at times make their own plays. 

Not a lot of love for the current staff.