Steven A

Time to Put on Our Big Boy Pants

Now that the Southern/Sewer California schools will both be leaving and UCLA will subsidize Cal (as they should). 

Since UCLA leaving affects the remaining Pac 12 and they aren't subsidizing the remaining 9 schools, U of O and some school north are now the torch bearers for the league . . .

Time to tell the commish we DEMAND a much higher payout for post season berths in all sports, as in all expenses covered AND AT LEAST 1/2 of the rest of the payout.

Otherwise, keep our own media rights.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm all for Pac-12 schools who earn post season bids to receive more money, than those not receiving bids.  However, I'm not sure half of payout would be feasible.  Oregon is 100% a flag bearer for the Pac-12, but being too aggressive in forcing payment, may also leave them on the outside.  Oregon can't go independent and the Big 12 isn't going to give them special treatment if Oregon leaves the Pac 12.  It is a fine line they will have to walk.

• Thumbs Up 1

If we do all the things you mentioned I would imagine the four corner schools would strongly consider bailing to the BIG-12. They would be smart to do so. Oregon and Washington, and Phil Knight, have not done enough begging to get into the BIG-10. The notion of taking a little less money in the first year is not good enough. We should accept half, or heck, zero. We need to be in a relevant conference. The PAC-12 is dead without USC and UCLA, especially if UO and Washington demand higher returns. Either we subsidize the conference so it can exist, or we leave.

Personally, i feel the PAC10 is not in a position of strength. The Conference, including Oregon and Washington, has very little to bargain with. No conference is ch

Late window viewing on Friday and Saturday night is all the PAC has to offer TV Networks. And that in itself is a numbers game. Every Satuday night the BIG can have either USC/UCLA in prime time competing against the PAC. The numbers dont pencil out. FOX does not need the PAC for west coast viewing because they have the whore sisters in socal.

ESPN offered $300 million annually for media rights. Now it comes down to streaming and what dollars will flow.

How does the league help the other schools than Cal. Cal now has a sizeable advantage in money over the rest of us.

How is that just? I think we have to do something to equalize it out for the other 9 of us.

On 12/15/2022 at 1:05 PM, Steven A said:

Time to tell the commish we DEMAND a much higher payout for post season berths in all sports, as in all expenses covered AND AT LEAST 1/2 of the rest of the payout.

The key word there are post-season berths, as in Football Playoffs, March Madness, Bowl games, etc.

I would be curious as how others feel about ALL teams in the conference get half of the bowl payout, and the other half split with the other members?  For example OSU would get half of the revenue from their bowl on Saturday, and that helps to pay the bills in attending.

Yet the media contracts, streaming etc. should be split evenly...I think?

giphy.gif

Mr. FishDuck

I'm old enough to remember Oregon desperately needing the league revenue sharing plus at least one annual payout game to keep the athletic department somewhat solvent.  If the powers in the Pac-8 had taken the stance many here advocate we could be playing Southern Oregon each year as our rivalry game.

Revenue sharing allowed Oregon to survive until they became competitive.  I'm reluctant to deny others the same opportunity.  Isn't sports about a level playing field?

• Thumbs Up 1

I believe the PAC 12 should sue the UC regents for giving the Bears a decided advantage of letting UCLA bolt but only by paying Cal the extra money. How is that right by the rest of us.

The league, the players association, and most of UCLA alumni asked them to not allow UCLA to leave. Their has to be someone who could take that on.

Revenue sharing has to appeal to all conference members. Negotiating for a bigger slice of the pie sounds great for Oregon, but how does that keep a struggling conference intact? 

Every conference member has athletic budgets to worry about. The spiraling payout to coaching staffs alone is getting absurd. 

TV revenue drives the bus, and the networks that are involved with college sports have changed the face of college sports forever.

It is unfortunate that is our reality. 

Edited by Drake

I think that schools should keep 50% of their post season payouts (playoffs, bowl games, NCAA tournament) and the remaining 50% should be split evenly among the other conference members.  It incentives schools to invest in their sports to be better and earn more.

Teams should keep 100% of their home game ticket revenues.  I've heard that some conferences may split their home game revenues among conference members.  Not sure if the Pac-12 does this.

In terms of Cal, perhaps the other Pac schools insist that they carve the subsidy that they receive from UCLA out of the TV deal revenues.  Why should Cal get more than the other Pac schools because the UC Board of Regents decides so?  Cal brings very little to the conference from a revenue generating sports perspective. 

I am conflicted.

At what point does the revenue sharing get curbed? Are all these schools investing in their infrastructure? It doesn't matter how you get your coin. just get it. Are the practice facilities upper crust? Is the field and stadium something to behold? Why does this matter? 25 years ago Oregon started winning and that spurred investment. That kind of commitment has spurred recruiting. This in turn has promoted Conference championships and realistic duns at a National Championship.

So, I ask again, has your school invested? If not, then your payout is adjusted accordingly. Viewership matters as well. Not all schools are created equal because not all schools have invested equally. Your pay needs to be adjusted.

On 12/15/2022 at 4:52 PM, Charles Fischer said:

The key word there are post-season berths, as in Football Playoffs, March Madness, Bowl games, etc.

I would be curious as how others feel about ALL teams in the conference get half of the bowl payout, and the other half split with the other members?  For example OSU would get half of the revenue from their bowl on Saturday, and that helps to pay the bills in attending.

Yet the media contracts, streaming etc. should be split evenly...I think?

giphy.gif

I think that the Bowl teams should get a much higher percentage. 65-75%? Because, if you don't make a bowl, you shouldn't get an equal payout. Not in the least. You didn't go so you shouldn't be rewarded.

Do you know why the SEC has become so dominant? It's 8 conference games a year and NOT 9. 4 non cons basically guarantee that you only need 2 wins in conference. If you can't get 4 wins? Someone needs to be fired like last week.

Bowl games mean a winning season and that adds prowess to the conference, and cash to the coffers. The PAC disrespects itself with 9 games in conference. It just means more in the SEC. And thats the formula. More noncons mean more money because of more wins and more opportunities to bring more teams to more Bowl games which brings in more money.

• Thumbs Up 1