Log Haulin

Trikweze Bridges Emerges Lockdown in Holiday Bowl?

Bridges played an exceptional game last night. The respect Mack Brown showed TB says a ton about Bridges emergence as a lockdown CB.

Bridges name wasn't called much in the Bowl game. Something you like with your CB. He just wasn't targeted, RESPECT!?!

UNC targeted Bridges once in the first Q. A perfectly defended pass in the endzone. Incomplete. Next play NC got the TD, a play TB almost defended coming off defending the flat to give help in the end zone.

Bridges name wasn't called in the second or third Q. He wasn't targeted at all. Again, respect from Maye and Brown.

Forth Q Bridges earned his crown. Came in on a corner blitz for a tfl. Pass break-up in the endzone that could have been picked and batted last second ball in the endzone. 

Trikweze Bridges growth this year has been nothing short of spectacular. He is setting himself up to be absolutely lock down next year.

Well done TB, Go Ducks!

• Thanks 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1

Agree, he's the most improved player on defense this year IMHO.

• Go Ducks! 1

Didn't I hear Joel Klatt comment that Bridges was finally getting snaps because Christian Gonzalez opted out?  Maybe they should have done some research on Oregon.

Huge improvement during the season.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

As I mentioned yesterday, you could make the argument that Bridges is Oregon's most improved player this year on either side of the ball.  

TB didn't look great in coverage earlier in the year but looked like a lock down corner yesterday!  If he works hard in the off season, continues to refine his craft and carries over his performance last night into next season, he could be looking at a very high draft pick in the 2024 NFL Draft.  NFL scouts are going to love his length.

Edited by OregonDucks
  • Like 1

He had a couple of fantastic break ups. One early in the end zone where he just knocked the ball clean away from the reciever. 

The second he almost had an interception but the reciever got a hand in there and kept him from catching the ball. 

I also think it was TB who knocked the ball down at the end of the game on the hail Mary attempt. 

He needed the development this year but he has looked good down the stretch. 

I think it also helped out big time that the pass rush finally existed and put pressure on the quarterback! 

By no means a flawless defensive game... But a brilliant second half that's for sure. 

• Go Ducks! 1

Agree. He’s learning to see and apply his athleticism and length to the disciplined requirements of each play. You just love to see someone as raw as he’s been beginning to put it together. He has the potential to be a monster. Now, if he could just master the art of intercepting? (I know, that’s why they’re DB’s and not WR’s)

On a related note, I’m no longer tolerant of flagrant and  intentional pass interference calls on DB’s who have been smoked and are just trying to save a TD. I think it was Franklin on two occasions where an NC DB just ran into him? (I recall the look on his face - the smirk - as if he’d just gotten away with murder)

There needs to be a price paid by any DB for flagrant pass interference that reflects the value of what has been denied the opposing offense. Common PI should remain a yardage penalty, but flagrant PI should move the ball to the spot of the foul (if not the 10 yard line), and the offender given a warning after which another flagrant removes him from the game, and the 1st half of the next game. 

Just my opinion.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I also think not have Pac 12 refs helped a lot. 

Take note Merton Hanks, remaining in contact with touching the receiver is not automatically PI.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I've been one of TBs biggest critics all year glad to see him have a great game. I still think he would be awesome at safety and much better in coverage than Stephens or Addison. I did like what I saw of JJ General.

On 12/29/2022 at 12:55 PM, Steven A said:

I also think not have Pac 12 refs helped a lot. 

Every bowl season I'm reminded about how bad PAC 12 refs really are.

On 12/29/2022 at 11:46 AM, Washington Waddler said:

There needs to be a price paid by any DB for flagrant pass interference that reflects the value of what has been denied the opposing offense. Common PI should remain a yardage penalty, but flagrant PI should move the ball to the spot of the foul (if not the 10 yard line), and the offender given a warning after which another flagrant removes him from the game, and the 1st half of the next game. 

I wouldn't be opposed to this idea... But how do you prove a flagrant PI? 

In both cases that you mention the DBs didn't even try and get their heads around and they just ran through Franklin. 

Is that incompetence or intentional? 

For UNC both plays were certainly better than the alternative which was Oregon scoring or getting major yardage but still difficult to prove on the flagrant side of things.

On 12/29/2022 at 12:02 PM, Dave23 said:

I still think he would be awesome at safety

I also think that Bridges would be a great safety with his open field tackling ability.  However, top cornerbacks make more $$$ in the NFL.

Playing DB at this level is difficult.

Fast receivers, and competent QBs expose young DBs often. With that said, Trikwese’s improvement has come with in game experiences, some not so good, that are vital for our team and his growth next year. 

Looking forward to seeing more from him in the future. 

On 12/29/2022 at 11:06 AM, Log Haulin said:

Bridges played an exceptional game last night. The respect Mack Brown showed TB says a ton about Bridges emergence as a lockdown CB.

Bridges name wasn't called much in the Bowl game. Something you like with your CB. He just wasn't targeted, RESPECT!?!

UNC targeted Bridges once in the first Q. A perfectly defended pass in the endzone. Incomplete. Next play NC got the TD, a play TB almost defended coming off defending the flat to give help in the end zone.

Bridges name wasn't called in the second or third Q. He wasn't targeted at all. Again, respect from Maye and Brown.

Forth Q Bridges earned his crown. Came in on a corner blitz for a tfl. Pass break-up in the endzone that could have been picked and batted last second ball in the endzone. 

Trikweze Bridges growth this year has been nothing short of spectacular. He is setting himself up to be absolutely lock down next year.

Well done TB, Go Ducks!

I've down on that kid playing in the secondary for awhile I must admit. I used to cringe when he came in because I knew the other team was going right after him. But you're right the last few games he has turned it around and is starting to make me eat my words gratefully. Better coaching now maybe? Or is he just maturing?

• Go Ducks! 1

On 12/29/2022 at 12:15 PM, David Marsh said:

Although it wouldn't solve the entire problem of the flagrant, take a clue from basketball in regard to the foul if the offensive player has a clear path to the basket.  

On 12/29/2022 at 12:15 PM, David Marsh said:

In both cases that you mention the DBs didn't even try and get their heads around and they just ran through Franklin. 

Is that incompetence or intentional? 

For UNC both plays were certainly better than the alternative which was Oregon scoring or getting major yardage but still difficult to prove on the flagrant side of things

There will always be an element of doubt to any situation requiring referee choice (was the helmet lowered intentionally or not?).

The grounds upon which a flagrant (as opposed to a common) PI foul would have to rest on the referee’s decision as to wether or not there was a choice being made by the DB to intentionally accept the less costly alternative of a yardage penalty as opposed to the potential for a touchdown, which the play situation should clearly indicate. 

TB only being targeted twice the whole game says a lot about what the opposition thinks about his skills.

He blanketed his man all game. At no time was his man open. Not once. TB will step in next year to fill Gonzo's role. DB's will be a strong unit next year.

I don't disagree with the idea of flagrant PI being a spot foul, but get two and you're out of the game!  It's no different from an obvious holding penalty to save a sack, it's not endangering the opponent, and it's not a personal foul that is after the play, that seems way way overboard.

• Applause 1

On 12/29/2022 at 12:02 PM, Dave23 said:

I still think he would be awesome at safety and much better in coverage than Stephens or Addison.

He would be perfect for covering the faster, athletic tight-ends, but we have had a shortage at corner in the past.  And maybe corner is his best position for the NFL?

I don't know--just asking.

Bridges interception at Washington State....and we needed it!

Bridges hauling in interception_Fox Sports Video.jpg

• Go Ducks! 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/29/2022 at 5:48 PM, Charles Fischer said:

He would be perfect for covering the faster, athletic tight-ends, but we have had a shortage at corner in the past.  And maybe corner is his best position for the NFL?

Give him a few more years at corner and I'm sure he'll be an NFL level guy. Selfishly I want to see him at safety because I believe he could be the next big time playmaker. Safety play was very uninspiring this year.

On 12/29/2022 at 1:40 PM, OregonDucks said:

I also think that Bridges would be a great safety with his open field tackling ability.  However, top cornerbacks make more $$$ in the NFL.

I'm just being selfish. Hope he keeps getting better at his craft CB has to be one of the hardest positions to learn to play. He's got the athleticism but he always seems a little slow when it comes to guarding smaller quicker receivers. This last game showed how his instincts have gotten so much better over the year.

Go TB!

• Thumbs Up 2