Charles Fischer

What Do YOU Think of Coach Lanning's Tattoo?

This was already posted by Pennsylvania Duck, (thank you or I would not have known of it!) but I wanted to start a separate thread for your thoughts about it.  I have a few...

--No surprise, that as an old-fart, I do not care for 'tats at all. But I understand the cool factor associated with them for young men. A connecting element with the players?

--It is an inspirational theme on his own life, and that is cool. 

--He has a bit of "curves" on his wife that I am surprised to see him include.

--The Oregon part of it is exceptionally large; is this a sign of his longer term commitment here?

What do you make of it?

WWW.OUTKICK.COM

Oregon head football coach Dan Lanning recently got a new, profound tattoo that represents his entire life from start to present day.

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Tattoos are definitely a personal choice.

In many cases the art work will make or break what that person is trying to achieve. However, this is a tattoo that is not on full display 24/7.

A private tribute, and celebration of the road that has been traveled. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 1/8/2023 at 9:45 AM, Drake said:

A private tribute, and celebration of the road that has been traveled. 

Private?  In my view, I doubt that.

I have to think that part of getting to know a recruit when he visits for the first time is looking at each other's tats and explaining them.  Now Dan has his own...

Mr. FishDuck

Better hope they stay together.

Edited by jrw

I certainly fall in the O-fricken category as well when it comes to ink. Tats were either the unintentional byproduct of a hard night’s drinking (Jimmy Buffett?), or on old sailor’s who’d try to convince you what the smudge on their sagging bicep use to look like. 

But I agree (and even admire) that tattoos have for younger generations evolved into a form of self expression that can encompass all the passions and longings of the human soul - somewhat akin to what many ancient cultures around the globe have been doing for centuries.

And anyway, look at the bright side. Dan’s tat didn’t end up trying to attach a pair of Duck Lips to the mug of a bulldog.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I think it's amazing!

There's a small tattoo that I'd like to get, but it's the "ouch" factor that's holding me back. 😀

• Applause 1

A good friend of mine is buddies with the ink artist that did DL's tat and I got to see the sketch right before the articles came out about it. We were a bit surprised that his wife was that 'exposed', but I can't imagine he did this without her approval. Daily and then every time they have a marital 'difference of opinion', DL will have a very visual reminder of his commitment to his wife and family. Something to be said for that.

Not that he did this to impress any player or recruit, but everyone around him will understand the level of commitment he demands of himself and others. 

Big involved ink not really my cup of java, but to each their own, particularly with post Boomer crowd. For better or worse we old greybeards tend to internalize that life experience stuff, and wear it under our skin. The youngsters put it on their skin, wearing it literally on their sleeves. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Just glad that she doesn't have the tats which are referenced on Lannings side. Now that would be too much, way too much!

Also the boomerang tattoo meaning is basically, what you send out into the world comes back to you, for what it is worth. That seems to be a talking point for Lanning. 

Edited by Haywarduck

Not sure what the big deal is. It's not a full length arm tattoo or big neck tattoo. Looks like a private only a few will ever see tattoo. 

Anyone that's had cancer or is close to someone that's had cancer understands the seriousness of the disease. 

I think it's cool that he's showing his wife how much she means to him.

• Thumbs Up 3

Well I will say I do like the Oregon part, hopefully that shows how committed he is to staying here since he's tattooed a symbol on his body, of course he could always get it removed or altered, but still not sure if I would do that if I thought there was a chance I might bounce at the right opportunity if it comes up in the next couple years.

Looks to me like he is becoming an Oregonian. First the beard now the tat, next thing you know he will be drinking local beers, jogging and climbing mountains.

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

As you may have heard, Lanning has said repeatedly he wants his boys to grow up in one place, not move around.

Lannings ideal place is here, at Oregon. 

He will be ours as long as we want him.

As for the tat, most of us old grey beards don't get it, but DL is only mid-30's, so he gets it.

He and Sauphi are united and one. There will not be another. She is his everything, including his sex symbol.

It's not my thing, but for him, I think it's cool.

• Thumbs Up 1

I do not have any tattoos. But, have zero issues with this one.

Hey, coach can I have your wife's #?

On 1/8/2023 at 3:01 PM, Haywarduck said:

Also the boomerang tattoo meaning is basically, what you send out into the world comes back to you, for what it is worth. That seems to be a talking point for Lanning. 

In an article by James Crepea on this subject, he says the boomerang is a symbol for the Outback restaurant. Apparently that is where Dan met Sauphia when they both worked there during college.

• Thanks 1

I think it's very cool.   He is marking the key points in his life and that's cool in my mind.  It clearly is a generational thing and as  astutely pointed out in another post, it's how it's done now.

I do wonder if Dan intended for it to be public.  Clearly he knew pics were being taken but wonder if he anticipated they would be shared publicly.   Maybe he did.

On a separate note, I have heard from several people who have gotten to know him over the last year that it is very obvious that his wife is 'his rock' so clearly see why she is prominent in the tat.  

On another separate note I am SURE Crepea will ask him about it at some point. During the season Dan asked James why he did not wear shorts more often so his ink could be seen and James was the one of the first media guys to post about it other than the guy who did the actual inking.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/9/2023 at 3:37 PM, Augduck said:

I do wonder if Dan intended for it to be public.  Clearly he knew pics were being taken but wonder if he anticipated they would be shared publicly.   Maybe he did.

On 1/9/2023 at 3:37 PM, Augduck said:

On another separate note I am SURE Crepea will ask him about it at some point. During the season Dan asked James why he did not wear shorts more often so his ink could be seen and James was the one of the first media guys to post about it other than the guy who did the actual inking.

I'm glad you brought the first point up, whether he meant for it to go public. I actually saw the post from James Crepea on Saturday evening and read it. At first I thought it was rather personal and chose not to post it. Besides, there were no other postings than the two you mentioned. The next morning, I checked and it was all over the internet, so I put it on OBDF For Your Interest.

I don't get into tattoos myself. However, Dan's is special to him and that is fine.  

Look: Football World Reacts To Oregon Coach's New Tattoo

"Dan Lanning’s new tattoo is a way bigger story than the national championship.

I have so many questions," wrote Matthew Coca of CBS.

ATHLONSPORTS.COM

Oregon Ducks football coach Dan Lanning got a new tattoo that has social media buzzing.  Lanning's tattoo, which was performed...