kirklandduck

Oregon Lost Peyton Bowen Because of Paperwork Mistake?

That's interesting. I'm not sure I believe him when he infers that he simply forgot to write am or pm. I hope our recruits at DB/S are so good that he would never be missed.

This dude will be a Duck in 24

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm not buying it that that was the problem. If that was the problem and he actually wanted to be a Duck he would have corrected it and resent in the paperwork. 

Afterall, he had to do a whole new set of paperwork for Oklahoma and send it into them. That is more work than fixing a single error and resending it to Oregon. 

It was an excuse to reopen his recruitment at the last minute, not the cause of him not being a Duck. 

• Thumbs Up 3

When you do the hat switch thing like Ju Ju you already give him flaky vibes even if the hat switch worked in Oregon's favor for a few days.

If I'm reading between the lines correctly, this kid was overwhelmed by the process and just wanted it done. I'm guessing he loved all three schools but turned in his LOI. When it came back as unfilled out it created mental stress and that created doubt. He is a teenager after all. 

How he plays in 2023 will factor in portal option for 2024. Oregon is sitting pretty. It's the nature of NIL now. Recruit for the entire college experience not just out of HS.

• Thumbs Up 2

Seems happy now, good for him. Fortunately, or unfortunately these kids are allowed many mulligans and the story isn't over, that I am sure of.

Not sure if everyone has read Steve Kerr's comments on AAU basketball. This mentality seems to be invading all areas of college sports. We are creating players, seldom are we creating teammates, young men who are part of something greater than themselves. 

“Even if today’s players are incredibly gifted, they grow up in a basketball environment that can only be called counterproductive. AAU basketball has replaced high school ball as the dominant form of development in the teen years. I coached my son’s AAU team for three years; it’s a genuinely weird subculture.

Like everywhere else, you have good coaches and bad coaches, or strong programs and weak ones, but what troubled me was how much winning is devalued in the AAU structure. Teams play game after game after game, sometimes winning or losing four times in one day. Very rarely do teams ever hold a practice. Some programs fly in top players from out of state for a single weekend to join their team. Certain players play for one team in the morning and another one in the afternoon. If mom and dad aren’t happy with their son’s playing time, they switch club teams and stick him on a different one the following week.

The process of growing as a team basketball player — learning how to become part of a whole, how to fit into something bigger than oneself — becomes completely lost within the AAU fabric.”

• Thumbs Up 3

People who are happy in their current situation don’t make public statements like this. It sounds like he’s sending a message to his current coaching staff.

My first week at Oregon in 1967 there were a couple guys I met that dropped out because they were too frustrated by the paperwork. 18 year olds.

On 2/18/2023 at 6:14 AM, 1Funduck said:

If I'm reading between the lines correctly, this kid was overwhelmed by the process and just wanted it done. I'm guessing he loved all three schools but turned in his LOI. When it came back as unfilled out it created mental stress and that created doubt. He is a teenager after all. 

How he plays in 2023 will factor in portal option for 2024. Oregon is sitting pretty. It's the nature of NIL now. Recruit for the entire college experience not just out of HS.

His girlfriend is also at Oklahoma right now or is going to Oklahoma... One of those two things. 

Probably got some pressure there and from his parents as well and it was a good excuse to reopen his recruitment as he was feeling doubts about his decisions. 

Mom seemed really surprised by his announcement. Maybe he wanted to go to Oregon against his parents wishes and dropped it on them on live TV.  When the paperwork came back it open the door for him to be talked out of it.

Just a guess, we'll know it's true if he ends up transferring to Oregon in the future.  No one wants to air family laundry in the national media.

I was super impressed by Peyton Bowen's film and think he has a chance to be an impact player in college and the NFL.  Like many Duck fans, I was surprised when he selected Oregon and disappointed when he changed his mind a short time later.  However, I have no hard feelings towards the young man and wish him luck.

Even if Peyton filled out the paperwork correctly, I'm sure that Dan Lanning and Oregon would have let him out of it, if he wanted out.  It's not like you want a player in your program, who doesn't want to be there.

Sounds like the explanation of a person who dislikes the image he creates for himself whenever he changes his mind: don’t go away mad; just go away.

I think it would be best if Bowen just left well enough alone. (not that he cares what I think) There have been lots of stories out there about why he did what he did but if I were him I would practice the old axiom of letting sleeping dogs lie.  

The issue about the time thing on the paperwork goes back to the old days when Gary Campbell had JJ Arrington sign before actual signing day which back then was after midnight on the first Weds in February.   Yes, clearly dredging up the past and that is not my  intention, but I know Oregon is hyper vigilant about that because it resulted in both NCAA rule changes and punishment (at the time) for Oregon.

"My dog ate my paperwork. It just happened to be my mom that smeared peanut butter on it and fed it to him."

• Haha 1