cartm25

ION TV Enters the P-12 Media Rights Contest

ION TV is on YouTube TV . . . so I'd be happy with this.

Well that's an interesting one.  ION is on multiple streaming platforms (like YouTube TV as you mention) but also available on the cable networks like Xfinity, DirectTV, and Dish Network.  I have Sling so I've seen ION in passing as I flip through the channels.  It's also available free over the air if you have an antenna.  

So they have mass distribution all over the place, the question for me would be what their viewership numbers look like?  The few times I've looked at ION I've only ever seen re-runs of tv shows.  If ION decides to throw a ton of money at the Pac12 and market the heck out of it then it could work.

From the little I have read into ION/Scripps this could be very interesting. They have a vast portfolio. I could see them purchasing the PAC12 network as well. 

The entertaining part of that Twitter thread is the responses, mostly negative concerning what kind of content they currently see on ION.  It's completely gone over their heads that they all have direct access to that channel so any Pac12 content that goes on there would be instantly available.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

If ION would make a legit offer for the PAC12 network?? In conjunction with say ESPN?

That could be a game changer.

ION is obviously perceived as a niche market. 

People need to understand that part of surviving in this economy is thinking outside the box.

ESPN, Fox... virtually every current NAME brand carrier began as a speculative venture.

This is a possible window of opportunity  that at least deserves a little exploration. 

Edited by woundedknees
  • Thumbs Up 1

IONTELEVISION.COM

A list of ION stations looks like it's available just about everywhere in the US.

IONTELEVISION.COM

ION's line up of current shows on-air. Check out our schedule page to see upcoming airdates.

Their programming slate is obviously tilted towards a narrow demographic however.  If you're into crime shows then you'll love ION lol

On 2/24/2023 at 11:15 AM, DUCati855 said:

. I could see them purchasing the PAC12 network as well. 

They would probably have to just to get a jump start on being able to produce the programming or at least subcontract them.

This is quite intriguing, I have seen the channel I think I even get it on my TV antenna! This deal might make a lot of sense for a channel wanting to get into sports and obviously bringing a hold different demographic of viewership. Show me the money!

Well, I just checked and I get ION.

But I guess I don't understand the whole issue. Right now the PAC-12 network shows Duck games, but we see them on ESPN, ABC, Fox, etc. too. So, forgive my ignorance, what exactly does it mean when something has the rights to the PAC-12 games?

This is a great example of how wringing our hands at the demise of the conference, or Oregon, or all the negative seen on this forum is often just premature drama.  We cannot foresee the unfolding developments, both good and bad, and no need to mourn the loss of something until it actually happens.

giphy.gif

Or not...

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

The PAC12 network has control of virtually all content not currently carried on the major networks. 

If ION were to grab that it potentially opens a significant door to markets PAC12 fans have been groveling for.

Maybe GK does have a plan.

Stay tuned...

Edited by woundedknees
  • Thumbs Up 2

If Apple and Ion are jumping in the ring, I hope to see SCTV jump in as well. The McKenzie brothers calling games would be fantastic.

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1

It might take some sort of ramping contract to make it work for either. A lower payout at first but it grows. 

Streaming is becoming more and more the future of TV but it's not there yet. ION is interesting because they have the distribution but just having the distribution doesn't mean the PAC can cash in right away... People have to know where to find the content and that will take some time. 

So a contract that increases over time could be the way this has to go because PAC eyeballs will find it fast but the rest of the country will take awhile and that's what is also needed. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Another note is for the Pac-? to sign a very short-term deal unless it is very competitive. With the coaches and qb's the Pac has we are going to be a draw. Win games, get accolades and the eyeballs will come. 

I get worrying about the $'s and contracts, but we have to take care of game day, and wins. Fortunately many schools are positioned well this season and probably next. 

What I want to see from George is an 8 game conference schedule. We are at a disadvantage with our scheduling now. Get another non conference game late in the season so the teams can stay fresh. At this point I want to see something out of George, anything.

Does it seem to be taking eons to get this deal done?

But I'm with Charles. Keep the powder dry until we see what the ultimate and not the rumored deal is. 

Take off eh

On 2/24/2023 at 1:11 PM, kirklandduck said:

Well that's an interesting one.  ION is on multiple streaming platforms (like YouTube TV as you mention) but also available on the cable networks like Xfinity, DirectTV, and Dish Network.  I have Sling so I've seen ION in passing as I flip through the channels.  It's also available free over the air if you have an antenna.

Two of the streamers ION  ia on are Sling and Fubo TV.

The Athletic says ion is not in negotiations, after being forced to take toradol shots.

How the Sports media analyzes the PAC-12 deal...

giphy.gif

How George Kliavkoff analyzes the PAC-12 deal...

giphy.gif

How CFB fans analyze the PAC-12 deal...

giphy.gif

How Rob Mullens analyzes the PAC-12 deal...

giphy.gif

How Phil Knight gets the PAC-12 deal...

giphy.gif

• Mic drop 1
  • Great post! 4

Ion is available on my Dish list of channels but in SD and not HD.

On 2/25/2023 at 1:05 PM, Duck Fan 76 said:

How the Sports media analyzes the PAC-12 deal...

giphy.gif

How George Kliavkoff analyzes the PAC-12 deal...

giphy.gif

How CFB fans analyze the PAC-12 deal...

giphy.gif

How Rob Mullens analyzes the PAC-12 deal...

giphy.gif

How Phil Knight gets the PAC-12 deal...

giphy.gif

The answer is Four?

• Haha 1

I find it so interesting that so called sources, who are not in the room with GK, network negotiators and others, are deemed credible or reliable.

Have any of the so called sources been accurate on the PAC 10 info yet? Where were these so called sources when the 2 traitors were sneeking around betraying their business partners?

They didnt know anything then and they dont know jack now...........

When the ink dries on the media rights contract then we will all know.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Screenshot_20230225_121431_Chrome.thumb.jpg.d88b2e436cf8162aa3062daa0156bed8.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/25/2023 at 11:13 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Where were these so called sources when the 2 traitors were sneeking around betraying their business partners?

That's a great point honestly.

As a side point I tend to view USC and UCLA very differently with regards to the move.  UCLA really was forced into a bad position due to their debt and the lack of a stadium near their campus.  They had to choose between the PAC and keeping a lot of Olympic sports they are great at but don't bring in the $$$.  I'm absolutely not happy with UCLA leaving and it should have been an above the board conversation but the secrecy was due to the university PR people requiring them to keep quiet about their debt problem.

USC however... didn't have this issue/motivation.  I believe USC was a victim of their own delusional BS.  They are just lagging Oregon in recruiting, wins, donors and TV viewership...   I don't think USC could stomach being little brothered by Oregon anymore.  I think they felt they were now too good for the PAC and felt they "belong" in the Big-10 with Michigan and Ohio St.  I think that is going to be a real wakeup call for them especially if they can't get to the playoffs in 2023.  Maybe they can use the money to really build out but they have a long history of getting in their own way.

Ironically the only remaining school in the PAC that can move to either the SEC or Big-10 without being a drag on ratings is Oregon.  We're twice the ratings of the next remaining school (Washington).  I actually do believe that the Big-10 is interested in continuing to expand but there's only a couple of schools on their list.  Their dream add is obviously Notre Dame which is not happening as Notre Dame would take a pay cut to join the Big-10. 

I think Oregon is #2 on their list but as has been mentioned, nobody wants to destroy the PAC (other than USC).  To get Oregon they would probably need to bring along Washington, Cal and Stanford giving them essentially a west coast mini division to keep most of the sports trips on the west coast.  From a money point of view the Big-10 after dark games would be a cash cow.  The downside to that move is that Cal and Stanford viewership is really in the dumpster.  Both schools would have to commit to major football program investments and the Big-10 would have to lower each schools share by a fair bit to build up Cal and Stanford again.

There are two reasons I think the Big-10 isn't going to make a move.  Reason 1, the Big-10 doesn't currently have a commissioner so the outgoing guy wasn't going to implement that and the interim guy can't.  Reason 2, the primary motivation to do it would be to maintain parity with the SEC if they were to grab Clemson and Florida St.  The ACC is currently on lockdown for 10 years barring some legal magic so the Big-10 has time to digest its current meal.

If FSU should find the legal equivalent of Excalibur then they and Clemson would BOLT for the SEC and the Big-10 would jump on plan-9 from the west coast.  Otherwise I expect Oregon, Washington, Stanford and Cal all know this and are telling GK to keep the contract short.  That way all four schools have confidence they will be good to go.

• Great post! 1