Haywarduck

Is Marcus Broken Or Is This An Opportunity?

Marcus, like Joey has been with three teams and both ended with Atlanta. Neither was given a decent team to play for. Both had flashes of what they could do at the NFL level.

Will, should Marcus hang it up, or try to get on a decent team, with the right scheme, talent and wait for his opportunity. I hope he doesn't continue putting himself at risk trying to prove he can succeed in a less than ideal situation.

I don't see him as a longterm back-up like Kellen was. He should either hang them up, or figure out the 2 or more franchises he will play for, go after those, and not compromise. At 30 he should know what he needs, wants, and if it is football, the franchises he can excel at.

I would love to see him back-up Mahomes, and see what that franchise would do with him. From there he may get an even better opportunity to start with another franchise. What franchises would seem best in your opinions, or should be hang them up?

Edited by Haywarduck
edit

I wonder if even Mahomes, Rodgers, or Brady would’ve fared any better on the same teams Marcus was on. Any team would be lucky to have him as a backup on their team.  It’s a rare starting QB in the NFL that doesn’t miss some games due to injury.

• Thumbs Up 1

Marcus just floats the ball .  You watch a game the longest pass he attempts is 20 yards down the sideline .   Most of the time he is slow getting the ball out . 

Has had to great tight ends on teams he started for .  After the 1st couple of years in Tennessee didn't use them .  

My feeling is that now that Marcus is happily married and proud father to his new baby girl, he will decide not to continue to play football and will move on to the next phase of his life, whatever that may be. 🙂

• Like 1

On 3/1/2023 at 7:27 AM, Duckdude said:

I wonder if even Mahomes, Rodgers, or Brady would’ve fared any better on the same teams Marcus was on. Any team would be lucky to have him as a backup on their team.  It’s a rare starting QB in the NFL that doesn’t miss some games due to injury.

Agree completely, Justin has proven he is an elite talent, but if his franchise doesn't build around him he will never reach the level the three you mention have. Justin will become another Dan Marino, Warren Moon type of talent, or another Duck like Dan Fouts who wowed, but the franchise never stepped up to his talent level.

At this moment Marcus has to make a decision on the route he wants to take. I just hope he doesn't just keep trying to make a franchise, that doesn't know the formula, and isn't committed. That may begin as a back-up, and a rebuild of his skillset, but I do wonder what the next step is. He will always be an Oregon Legend, the next steps, who knows.

I will say I have complete respect, and admiration for who Marcus is and always will be in my mind. He is the ideal every Oregon Duck qb, player should work towards.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I think he should hang it up and get into community service work or start some football clinics or the like. From what I've seen he really enjoys helping people and has the demeanor to bond well with kids.

He seems like he a step behind in the game right now. 3rd time's the charm and it didn't work.

• Thumbs Up 1

MM took a lot of bad hits early in his career and Im sure as a Heisman winner he was a target to be had. The Titans front line was awful back in his early years too.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

FISHDUCK.COM

Marcus Mariota is the greatest Oregon football player of all time. He won Oregon its first Heisman Trophy and still holds most of...

Wrote this a couple years ago. I think the big problem for Mariota is that he needs a scheme that allows for him to run and use his legs, which is really hard to do at the NFL. He has never been a prototypical quarterback for the NFL and what Mariota needs is an offense that that is similar to what he ran at Oregon which isn't truly run at the NFL level because that's not the meta game for the league at this time. 

Herbert has all the tools to be an NFL quarterback and it showed right out the gate for him. Mariota needs a coach and a scheme that fits what he wants to do and what we are really seeing is that there really aren't that many teams out there that he would be a great fit for in truth and the teams he would be a fit for there are already established quarterbacks in those spots. Is he good enough to take those spots away? Maybe. Will he get the chance? Probably not. 

I do think Mariota would make for an incredible coach though and I would be surprised if he makes an appearance at Oregon at some point. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

We've seen many promising QBs destroyed by bad teams (e.g. Carr on the Texans, Harrington on the Lions, Akili Smith with Cincy, or pretty much anyone drafted by Cleveland). 

We've also seen QBs drafted to bad teams who were able to elevate those teams, like Peyton Manning and Joe Burrow.  Not everyone walks into a winning situation like Aaron Rogers or Big Ben.

Sadly, as fantastic as MM was with the Ducks, I haven't seen a lot of that in the NFL.  Yes, he's been on some bad teams, but I've rarely seen the spark that would have the potential to help elevate those teams.  Had he been drafted by the Steelers or Patriots, would he have been more successful?  I believe so - but I don't believe he'd be a franchise QB in any situation.  

Many fantastic college QBs don't make it big in the NFL - Chris Weinke, Tee Martin, Dennis Dixon, Tebow, Famous Jameis, Trubisky, Locker, Wentz, and the list goes on and on.  Time to settle in as a veteran backup or call it a career.  If you last 9 years in the NFL, you did an awful lot right, but I don't see teams lining up to give him a starting opportunity.

• Cool 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

MM as a #2 could be a stabilizing factor for a younger more talented QB. I don't see a team building an offense around him as the #1, but I would like to see him stay in the league a few more years as a backup 

I know he has been playing hurt the last few years, but NFL secondaries have exposed his relative lack of arm strength and he has had the snot beat out of him when he used his legs too much. 

Silly idea, and the offense that Moore will put in place for JH is not one that fits Mariota's skill set, but I would love to see the two on the same sideline in LA. Otherwise a team like SF or KC would be a good landing spot.

Regardless, Duck fans will never forget what Marcus meant to OBD, the blur offense, the Heisman and the incredible run of victories he engineered. He helped build the Oregon brand that has resulted in the success we have enjoyed in the past and should enjoy in the future.

• Thumbs Up 1

He and his fam will probably settle down in Oahu soon. He could get into coaching on the Island helping out young people.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 3/1/2023 at 8:05 AM, cartm25 said:

If Mariota was a 49er, at least he'd be on a team with a Super Bowl-caliber roster.

Good gosh....I don't know which idea I like better--KC or SF, as both are great match-ups for Marcus.  Play it out a few more years!

Of course I'd love to see him being a backup at Philly as well; they do design a few running plays there for QBs!

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Marcus is a very talented QB who could end up being a career backup QB which is still a very lucrative gig.  Best wishes to a great guy.

• Thumbs Up 2

Cooper Rush is a UFA for Dallas.  I'd love for Marcus to come fill that void for a year or two.  I wouldnt hang it up if I can still make millions a qualtiy back up.  No job is paying that in the real world.  Get as much as you can

• Thumbs Up 1

One has to wonder how it would've shaken out had Chip Kelly were able to get MM to Philadelphia when he coached there.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/6/2023 at 11:43 AM, kirklandduck said:

One has to wonder how it would've shaken out had Chip Kelly were able to get MM to Philadelphia when he coached there.

You raise a great point on, qb's especially, players need the right franchise to really thrive. Not sure what player could make it work anywhere, but qb's need the right situation to reach their potential.

The last thing a qb should be looked upon is a savior to fix all a franchises issues. He definitely shouldn't be drafted by a team who isn't going to highlight his strengths. The Titans seldom used Marcus to his strengths, nor did they support him well enough with the players he needed.

• Thumbs Up 1