Pennsylvania Duck

Ducks in Spring Transfer Portal: Harrison Taggart, Avante Dickerson, Darren Barkins, Sir Mells

What a bummer.  I felt he really showed out down the stretch last year.  I guess the new editions pushed him back down the Depth Chart.

Oregon Ducks inside linebacker Keith Brown to enter transfer portal

Oregon’s first transfer departure of the spring is from the defense.

Inside linebacker Keith Brown announced he will enter his name in the transfer portal Saturday afternoon, the first day of the spring transfer window. The top-ranked player in the state out of Lebanon in 2021, Brown has two years of eligibility remaining.

Brown had 21 tackles with a sack last season, closing the year with seven tackles in the Holiday Bowl when he started in place of Noah Sewell, who opted out to enter the NFL draft. Brown had 15 tackles in seven games as a freshman in 2021.

His departure leaves UO with 90 projected scholarship players for the fall, including seven inside linebackers. The Ducks added fifth-year juniors Jestin Jacobs (Iowa) and Connor Soelle (Arizona State) at linebacker this winter and moved safety Jamal Hill down as well after losing Sewell to the draft and Jackson LaDuke and Justin Flowe to transfer.

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

Brown had 21 tackles with a sack last season, closing the year with seven tackles in the Holiday Bowl.

On the topic of Kieth Brown to the portal, I just consulted the ChileDuck Depth Chart in the repository link on this page. It lists Brown as first at his position but check out this right up of second at his position Jestin Jacobs.

As A Redshirt Freshman at Iowa (2021)
Played in all 14 games at outside linebacker, earning starts in eight contests … Finished the season fifth on the team with 53 tackles and in solo stops with 33 … Caused two turnovers, forcing one fumble and picked off a pass … vs. No. 17 Indiana (Sept. 4): Earned a then-career best grade of 78.0 by Pro Football Focus after making four tackles, including three solo, along with a half TFL … at No. 9 Iowa State (Sept. 11): Started at outside linebacker, earning a career-best PFF grade of 83.9 with an elite run defense grade of 90.1 while finishing with four tackles, all solo, a pass breakup and a forced fumble that led to a touchdown …  vs. Kent State (Sept. 18): Had a career-high eight tackles with three solo stops, holding the Golden Flashes to 264 yards total offense … vs. Colorado State (Sept. 25): Matched career-high with eight tackles, including four solo stops en route to allowing just 250 yards total offense … at Maryland (Oct. 1): Made four tackles, including two solo stops to hold the Terrapin offense to 271 yards … vs. No. 4 Penn State (Oct. 9): Started at outside linebacker, finishing with three tackles (two solo) and first career interception … vs. Minnesota (Nov. 13), Had four tackles, including two solo tackles … vs. Illinois (Nov. 20): Made four solo tackles and added a quarterback pressure to help hold The Illini to 64 net rushing yards … vs. #22 Kentucky (Jan. 1): Finished with four tackles, including two solo tackles, in Citrus Bowl start.

He was injured most of last year and only played in a couple games. I don't have any inside scoop but if Jacobs was starting for Iowa as a redshirt freshman two years ago, I would think he just came in and took the starting job.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sucks to lose Brown. 

Sucks more that he may end up at Oregon state if he wants to stay close to home but leave the Ducks.

• Thumbs Up 1

Duck defensive lineman Treven Ma'ae enters the portal

The junior out of Bishop Gorman High School in Nevada played in all 13 games last season and like Brown, was expected to compete for a possible starting job in 2023.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Defensive lineman Traven Ma’ae becomes the second Oregon defender to enter the transfer portal on the day.

Oregon is losing a member of its 2022 recruiting class.

Cornerback Jalil Tucker, who made one tackle in one game while redshirting last season, announced he’ll be entering the transfer portal Saturday afternoon, the first day of the spring transfer window.

Tucker missed Oregon’s fifth spring practice a week ago but returned on Tuesday and was with the No. 3 defense on Thursday.

A four-star prospect out of San Diego, Tucker was ranked No. 145 overall and the No. 17 cornerback in the 2022 recruiting class. He’s the first high school signee from that class to transfer from the program.

Tucker’s departure leaves UO with 88 projected scholarship players for the fall, including 11 cornerbacks.

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

Tucker is the first member of UO's 2022 recruiting class to transfer

On 4/15/2023 at 7:37 PM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

It's all about starting and NIL related. ME is no longer part of TEAM. 

Whatever happened to the love of teammates and competition? 

You don't start? Compete! Beat out the guy ahead of you. And if you are not talented enough to do so, support him and your team. Don't quit because a situation is injurious to your self-esteem. 

And coaches poaching other rosters today are in my opinion (fill in whatever expletive deleted you so desire.)

And if you do not think roster-poaching is going on; well, the Easter Bunny just paid us a visit. Rumor has it that this caused the Tooth Fairy to enter the portal. 

• Applause 1

Keith Brown is a junior and knows this year is it.  His chances are nil at Money Linebacker with Jeffrey Bassa and Jamal Hill, but the Iowa transfer at ILB must look good enough to him to make him take his chances elsewhere.

It's too bad, but I understand.

Oregon linebacker Keith Brown enters the transfer portal

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

I think we are just seeing what had to take place. Lets face it, a lot of players had to leave to get us to the scholarship limit. We knew it would happen around spring practice. Having said that I hate to see Keith Brown go.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/15/2023 at 6:29 PM, Jon Joseph said:

It's all about starting and NIL related. ME is no longer part of TEAM. 

Whatever happened to the love of teammates and competition? 

You don't start? Compete! Beat out the guy ahead of you. And if you are not talented enough to do so, support him and your team. Don't quit because a situation is injurious to your self-esteem. 

And coaches poaching other rosters today are in my opinion (fill in whatever expletive deleted you so desire.)

And if you do not think roster-poaching is going on; well, the Easter Bunny just paid us a visit. Rumor has it that this caused the Tooth Fairy to enter the portal. 

The other side of things is how many coaches are pushing these kids into the portal. 

I think Brown is one Lanning would like to keep. Though Ma'ae wouldn't surprise me if he is pushed out... Though he did just move positions to try and find playing time.

Tucker is interesting because he is only a redshirt freshman.

I think a lot of kids are looking elsewhere to better themselves but I think some are certainly being pushed out because roster management has never been at such a premium. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Everyone's got to do what they feel is best for them. Good luck to these young men.

Interesting comments from Brown where he said he could've been a portal guy last week. Seems that was in his head already. Be interesting to see where he ends up. 

Wonder if any of them land in South Florida. 

Twitter Reaction: Duck fans react to trio of players entering transfer portal

The transfer portal officially opened up on Saturday in the world of college football, and Oregon Duck fans sure took notice.

In the hours following Oregon’s first spring game of the 2023 spring season, a trio of notable players announced that they would be entering the portal and leaving Eugene.

Among the three, the most surprising was arguably linebacker Keith Brown, a native Oregonian who was seemingly in line to see a significant role on defense this season. Just a couple of days ago, Brown told media members how much playing at Oregon meant to him, and explained that the love for the Ducks was why he had not entered the portal thus far in his three-year career.

The other two players to enter the portal — CB Jalil Tucker and DT Treven Ma’ae — also came as somewhat of a surprise for Duck fans.

A lot of Oregon fans and media members took to social media after the fact to react to the personnel moves for the Ducks. Here are some of the best tweets from the afternoon.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

A trio of Ducks entered the portal on Saturday afternoon, which led to some shocked Oregon fans.

Big Man, Big Transfer. One of Georgia's starting DL guys, well over 300 pounds and played a lot for the Dawgs last season is in the portal and expected to sign with Southern Cal.

If the prediction is correct, Riley will have poached good to very good to excellent players from the ACC, B12, Pac-12, and now, the SEC. 

Can't wait to see the reaction of his fellow coaches when he starts to do the same stuff in the B1G.

......................................................................................................................................................................................................

I agree with David Marsh that some of the players entering the portal have been 'told' to do so by the coaching staff.

But except in this case and I know I am showing my age how about doing something for the good of the team and your existing teammates? How about competing for the starting job where you are instead of bailing out?

Forgive me, but I do not see a higher power within a million miles of the transfer portal.

And, obviously, roster tampering that would draw serious penalties in the NFL is rampant; especially, in college football and basketball.

Edited by Jon Joseph

It's now pretty telling that all of the big body, run stuffing but one-step-too-slow-at-covering-the-crossing-route LBs from the Cristobal days are gone. Brown leaving surprised me since he is an Oregon kid and one would think he'd have been in line to start or get extensive playing time. 

The pattern of bulking up speedier players, safeties like Hill and Bassa, and bringing them down into the box now seems to be well established by DL. The two LB system whittles the needed box guys by a third. Jacobs must be the real deal and Soelle a viable option to instigate losing a promising player like Brown. 

A little surprised by Ma'ae leaving as well. I figured he would play a significant role setting the edge for runs on downs one and two and occasionally be called upon to pressure the QB on passing downs. There must be a lot of other very promising and quicker talent in that DL/Edge room.

Of the two Ja(h)lils, Florence always seemed to be a step ahead of Tucker in the DB room. With the transfer in of Tysheem Johnson and Khyree Jackson, Tucker entering the portal is not that much of a surprise.

In the wake of the first spring scrimmage there may well be others that find themselves lower on the depth chart than they want and opt for the portal. I don't fault Tucker, Brown and Ma'ae, they want to play football and it appears Oregon won't be that place. Best of luck to them. They are quality players and hopefully will land somewhere outside of the PAC. There is comfort for Duck fans in knowing that there are better players on the team nudging them out.

Edited by EastBayDuckDad
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I don't think the Ducks are going to have a problem getting down to the scholarship limit with these transfers.

• Go Ducks! 1

On 4/16/2023 at 12:36 PM, EastBayDuckDad said:

Of the two Ja(h)lils, Florence always seemed to be a step ahead of Tucker in the DB room.

I think Jalil Tucker staying in high school to run track hurt him in his development for last season.  Jahlil Florence being with the team last spring really learned a lot of the basics of the position for the college game and elevated his status. I think we will see great improvement from him this fall. Somehow, I always felt Florence was the player they wanted. Remember that Lanning called him as he was walking off the field after winning the Natty!

• Thumbs Up 1

I do think the recruitment of Roderick Pleasant and Daylen Austin may have had an impact too.  Throw in Cole Martin and the current group--it is a tough group to break through.

Daylen Austin

Feature: Daylen Austin Brings Star Power to Long Beach Poly Football –  The562.org

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Guess it's time to demote him from Chief Keith to Assistant to the Assistant sub-Chief Keith

Redshirt freshman S Trejon Williams, former 4-star recruit, no longer with Oregon program

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Redshirt freshman Trejon Williams is no longer with the Oregon program. He was a 4-star recruit but played 0 snaps in 2022.

This is a great example of how Lanning recruited the best he could--getting superb quality, but in the next years improving upon it even more.  Well, that and bringing in a safety via the portal puts a freshman even lower on the roster.

I feel for the coaches with all the time spent recruiting these players, the time spent coaching them--and they leave.  Yet this is what building a higher quality program looks like--a Georgia model for sure.  Still, it makes me wince.

Mr. FishDuck

Or it could be the weather?

Walk On LB elects for transfer portal

Former Oregon Ducks linebacker Keith Brown commits to transfer to Louisville

Former Oregon Ducks linebacker Keith Brown will continue his career in the ACC.

Brown, who entered the transfer portal earlier this month, announced his commitment to Louisville Tuesday night. He visited UL last weekend.

He had 21 tackles with a sack last season and 15 tackles in seven games as a freshman in 2021. Brown has two years of eligibility remaining.

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

Former Oregon Ducks linebacker will continue his career in the ACC.

247SPORTS.COM

Redshirt freshman Anthony Jones entered the transfer portal on Wednesday.

Not surprising I suppose as the OLB/Edge room is now loaded and we all figured that there would be more attrition. Would like to see his HS buddy and teammate Sir Mells stick around for DL depth (and the cool name).

Edited by EastBayDuckDad
Misspell

Oregon LB Harrison Taggart enters Transfer Portal days before it closes

Another addition to the Transfer Portal from Oregon has hit. Oregon redshirt freshman linebacker Harrison Taggart has entered his name into the NCAA Transfer Portal and will look to play his college football at a different program.

The 6-foot-2 linebacker out of Draper, Utah, announced his decision on Social Media Wednesday morning.

"Thank you Oregon football!! I appreciate all of the relationships I have built along the way. Thank you to all of the coaches and trainers who have helped me with my journey in Oregon," Taggart said on social media.

"With that being said I will be entering my name into the transfer portal with four years of eligibility remaining."

Taggart played a total of nine snaps for the Ducks in three games as a true freshman during the 2022 football season. He was slotted at inside linebacker for Oregon but wasn't spotted at spring practice for multiple practices in a row.

247SPORTS.COM

Another linebacker has elected to transfer from Oregon.

On 4/15/2023 at 8:02 PM, David Marsh said:

I think a lot of kids are looking elsewhere to better themselves but I think some are certainly being pushed out because roster management has never been at such a premium. 

This. And it makes me sad to think players are being pushed out.

Former Oregon Ducks defensive lineman Treven Ma’ae commits to transfer to Baylor

Former Oregon Ducks defensive lineman Treven Ma’ae is reuniting with former UO safeties coach Matt Powledge.

Ma’ae, who entered the transfer portal earlier this month, announced his commitment to Baylor on Wednesday. He visited Waco, Texas last weekend.

The 6-foot-5 Ma’ae steadily gained weight since arriving at UO and moved from defensive end to defensive tackle this spring. The fifth-year junior has two seasons of eligibility remaining.

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

Ma'ae will reunite with former UO safeties coach Matt Powledge

Oregon Ducks cornerback Avante Dickerson entering transfer portal

Oregon is losing another reserve cornerback.

Avante Dickerson, who did not record a statistic while playing in one game and redshirting last season, announced he’ll be entering the transfer portal on Wednesday. The redshirt-sophomore was among the players absent from UO’s practice on Tuesday.

Dickerson made five tackles while playing in 12 games as a freshman in 2021. He has three years of eligibility remaining.

His departure leaves UO with 84 projected scholarship players for the fall, including 10 cornerbacks.

A four-star prospect out of Westside High School in Omaha, Dickerson was ranked No. 122 overall and the No. 8 cornerback in the 2021 recruiting class, according to the 247Sports Composite. He’s the 17th member of that class to leave the program, with six remaining.

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

The redshirt-sophomore did not record a statistic while playing in one game and redshirting last season

Cornerback Darren Barkins continues the portal entrants from Oregon

It’s been quite an interesting day for the Oregon Ducks football program as the seemingly mass exodus into the transfer continues.

This time it’s corner Darren Barkins announcing via  Twitter that he will also be looking for another team to play for in 2023 and beyond.

The sophomore from Spring Valley, Calif. and Mater Dei High School played in eight of the Ducks’ 13 games last season, mostly on special teams. Barkins was credited with three tackles.

A former three-star recruit, Barkins was rated as the 65th-ranked player in the state of California. He’ll have three years of eligibility remaining for his new team.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Cornerback Darren Barkins becomes the fourth Duck to enter the transfer portal Tuesday, just days before the annual Spring Game.

I think every college locker room should post the previous years portal numbers.  How many entered, how many got a scholarship with a new team.  Even break it down by P5, G5, D2, D3, etc.  I know all these kids don't think they will be left out, but it might give them a pause.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's certainly not the purge going on in Boulder but earlier in the week Oregon was ranked 5  in the number of players in the portal.

Again, I think much of this has to do with the late hiring of DL in 2022 and the advice many of these young people are having whispered in their ears.

For some, the grass will be greener. Many others are likely to find a dry spot.

This is the shortcut to a Blue Chip (50% 4* and 5* star recruits on the roster) roster. 

I saw one of the final CBS draft prognostications has Gonzales going 3rd tonight. This could help the Ducks recruit from the portal.

Has the sleeping giant been awakened in LA? (And filled with B1G resolve.)  Riley previously signed the #1 ranked DL Bear Alexander from the portal and yesterday signed the currently portal ranked #2, OL Pregnoa from Wyoming. Both guys had Oregon on the list of possibilities. 

Add this crop of portal guys to the portal guys SC had already signed and SC's adjusted 2023 recruiting class is right up there with Bama and Georgia.

Bama? Hard to believe that Nick had to go to the portal to bring in the potential Tide starting QB from Notre Dame where he joins the new Bama OC from ND, Tommy Rees. 

Former Oregon Ducks receiver Isaah Crocker commits to transfer to Nevada

The contingent of former Oregon Ducks at Nevada continues to grow.

Former Oregon receiver Isaah Crocker, who entered the transfer portal in January, committed to the Wolf Pack on Friday.

The 6-foot-1, 183-pound Crocker, who will be a sixth-year senior with one year of eligibility remaining, did not record a statistic while playing 23 snaps over four games last season. He appeared in 10 games over five seasons at UO and had seven catches for 107 yards, all in 2021.

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

Crocker reunites with former Oregon linebackers coach Ken Wilson, who enters his second season as Nevada’s head coach...