NJDuck

QUAAACK! No. 3 OT JacQawn McRoy Is A Duck

Pinson (Ala.) Clay-Chalkville Top247 offensive tackle JacQawn McRoy announced his commitment to Oregon during a live broadcast on the 247Sports YouTube Channel.

Head coach Dan Lanning and the Ducks beat out Arkansas, Kentucky and Ole Miss for the 6-foot-8, 365-pound McRoy who is tabbed by 247Sports as the nation’s No. 3 offensive tackle and No. 59 prospect overall in the 2024 class.

McRoy took his official visit to Eugene the weekend of June 23 and also visited back in the spring.

“They got a young coaching staff,” McRoy said. “New facilities, you get top of the line everything. I feel like if you get top fo the line everything you’re in the best position to succeed. Plus they have good caring people around you.”

McRoy is commit No. 17 for Oregon in the 2024 class rising to No. 8 in the 247Sports Composite Team Rankings.

247SPORTS.COM

Dan Lanning and the Ducks rise to No. 8 in the 247Sports Composite Team Recruiting Rankings.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Cool 1
  • Applause 4
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1

Thinking back to high school. Can you imagine having to block this guy? Welcome Mr. McRoy!

• Like 1

Where JacQawn McRoy stands among highest-rated OL to ever commit to Oregon

The Oregon Ducks picked up a big-time commitment on Saturday afternoon, landing the No. 3 OT in the 2024 class, and the No. 59 overall player in the nation.

4-star OT JacQawn McRoy announced his verbal commitment to Oregon, becoming the 17th member of the 2024 class that ranks No. 8 in the nation. He is the fourth offensive lineman to join since A’lique Terry took over as the OL coach in Eugene, and the No. 1 ranked OL in Oregon’s current class.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

JacQawn McRoy comes to Oregon as the No. 3 OT in the 2024 class. Where does he stand among the best linemen to ever commit to Oregon?

• Thumbs Up 1

JacQawn McRoy is ranked No. 50 and a 3-Star at Rivals, but it is quite possible that by the end of his senior season--he could be upgraded to 4-Star, as we have seen that occur already on Rivals with the Lanning class.  Bottom line is that the coaches love his ability to move, and with that size--he could be quite potent.

He was offered by Clemson, Miami, and 10 SEC teams including Florida, LSU and Georgia!

If I am one of the two QB verbals for Oregon....I am pretty happy to have this behemoth protecting me!

JacQawn McRoy, four-star offensive lineman, commits to Oregon Ducks -  oregonlive.com

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Massive get

• Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/1/2023 at 3:31 PM, AllOregon said:

Massive get

In more ways than one!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/1/2023 at 6:03 PM, Santa Rosa Duck said:

Thinking back to high school. Can you imagine having to block this guy? Welcome Mr. McRoy!

I can only imagine being blown off the line every single snap

• Thumbs Up 1

National program.

IMHO McRoy was a great get for the Ducks. Incidentally, I saw on one of the Dawgs  recruiting blogs this evening that several OL recruits are ready to pop for Georgia and OT Baker is not one of them. The consensus is that Baker is a Duck all the way. If so, another great OL pickup in Eugene! Your understudy to Nix should have the makings of a great protective front in 25 and 26.

• Thanks 3
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Two things Lanning is after, size and speed. This guy has the size we are after. You can't teach size like that, nor can you teach speed.

I just hope he understand the work it will take to start on the OL at Oregon. Being an elite high school recruit is all about having potential, which doesn't always translate to talent at the next levels without effort, and a special focus. I hope this guy has it!

My take is Conerly will be the secret sauce for the success of the O-line moving forward. A guy that talented leading the way with how you become elite can't be underestimated. 

The three things Oregon needs are talent, coaching and mentoring at every position. Conerly and Jackson provide the mentoring element at the O-line. 

The development of mentoring at every position is something to watch too.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 7/2/2023 at 9:35 AM, Haywarduck said:

Two things Lanning is after, size and speed. This guy has the size we are after. You can't teach size like that, nor can you teach speed.

I just hope he understand the work it will take to start on the OL at Oregon. Being an elite high school recruit is all about having potential, which doesn't always translate to talent at the next levels without effort, and a special focus. I hope this guy has it!

My take is Conerly will be the secret sauce for the success of the O-line moving forward. A guy that talented leading the way with how you become elite can't be underestimated. 

The three things Oregon needs are talent, coaching and mentoring at every position. Conerly and Jackson provide the mentoring element at the O-line. 

The development of mentoring at every position is something to watch too.

Great take. It's all about the Jimmies and the Joes but without proper coaching they oft times turn out to be Larry, Curley, and Moe's. 

• Haha 2

On 7/2/2023 at 9:02 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Great take. It's all about the Jimmies and the Joes but without proper coaching they oft times turn out to be Larry, Curley, and Moe's. 

It's also interesting the mentality student athletes brings with them to the program. Some come with the idea they have already made it. They got the scholarship, and earned the many benefits. It seemed like Justin Flowe fell into this category. From what I heard about his campus behavior, he enjoyed the 5*accolades. His on field output backed that feedback up.

Others look at it as an opportunity, but don't fully understand what it is going to take to start, and meet the ultimate goal of reaching their true potential. These kids end up, many years from now having big regrets. They become the Uncle Ricos of the world.

The last student athlete comes into the program like Haloti did. He saw the competition in the weight room, Igor killing it, and knew the was what he needed to reach his potential. They strive, and never let up the whole time they are in the program. 

I have a feeling we will see less of the born with elite mentality sticking around, few Uncle Ricos able to stick around, and a culture where competition is rewarded.

This is where having Lanning around for at least 4 years or longer is critical. I see all the indicators we are headed in the right direction, we just need the time, and a few on field leaders who can help take us to the next level.

• Applause 1

Twitter Reaction: Oregon coaches, fans celebrate following commitment from No. 3 OT in 2024

Landing McRoy was a big deal because it further exemplifies the work that OL coach A’lique Terry is putting in on the recruiting trail after taking over for Adrian Klemm this offseason.

After the announcement on Sunday, a load of Oregon players and fans took to social media to react to the news. Here are some of the best reactions.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Twitter Reaction: Oregon coaches, fans celebrate following commitment from No. 3 OT in 2024

Haywardduck,

You mentioned several key things we should want from Mr. McRoy. He's going to slim down, but more important is whether he is light on his feet, whether he has quick feet and great balance; if he has just a bit of a mean streak by which he can bury his opponent or block/dislocate a DE and still get to the linebacker and block him out of each play, then great! He has chance to play, to start, and to advance to the NFL with plenty of post-season trophies, rings, and accolades; and, with a degree.

We need a mentor program within each position grouping, and it's probable the O-Line group has such a program already; they sure had that mentorship last season.

Whether Flowe had that elite mentality or not, I don't know. He was a step slow against UCLA this year, twice, and their RB just got past him. McRoy seems like he understands everyone works and practices hard, or they don't play, regardless how high you are rated. From what McRoy mentioned, the "Law Firm" will take a hard

technical look at him in the weight room, in meetings, and during drills. Attitude and timing are critical.

If McRoy has quick feet and hands and works to develop his pass blocking skills with his teammates with the O-Line "Law Firm" teaching, supervising, and guiding them like big brothers teach and supervise their "little" brothers, we might just have a tough-minded crew that won't be beaten, because they are not only tough-minded, but team-oriented, and they practice daily against one of the future best D-Lines in college football.

VR, KCDuck1

Edited by KCDuck1
  • Thumbs Up 1

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

Coach Dan Lanning secured a commitment from one of the top prospects out of Alabama

On 7/1/2023 at 3:27 PM, Charles Fischer said:

JacQawn McRoy is ranked No. 50 and a 3-Star at Rivals, but it is quite possible that by the end of his senior season--he could be upgraded to 4-Star, as we have seen that occur already on Rivals with the Lanning class.  Bottom line is that the coaches love his ability to move, and with that size--he could be quite potent.

He was offered by Clemson, Miami, and 10 SEC teams including Florida, LSU and Georgia!

If I am one of the two QB verbals for Oregon....I am pretty happy to have this behemoth protecting me!

JacQawn McRoy, four-star offensive lineman, commits to Oregon Ducks -  oregonlive.com

OMG, that blitzing safety looks like a hobbit compared to him !