cartm25

Pac-12 Preseason Media Poll

Agree, or no?

• Wow 1

To me, you could interchange any of the top 5 teams and put them in any order.

USC, uw, Utah and Oregon could not sustain and injury ro their starting QB and still be a 10 win team.

Oregon at 4 is okay because they have 2 unknowns. Can the oline gel and be dominant? Can the defense get off the field on 3rd down?

If those 2 things happen the Ducks will win the PAC in 2023.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Good thing I like being the underdog!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

IMO USC with many question marks on both lines is over rated. 

I love good lines......Washington, Utah, UCLA, Oregon St ought to be tough to play. I like how they were listed.  

Oregon has the talent.......I expect that with their level of coaching they will be in it.......or the top dog. What has me excited about Oregon is the defense. Their pass rush ought to be top notch.  

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

If I had a vote, and the world is rightfully grateful that I do not,  I'd cop out and have Oregon and USC T1. Then UW and then Oregon State. Although with UW playing at Oregon State I could go either way here. I think that Oregon will have a better-balanced O than Troy with Dye gone and I'll believe SC has fixed its Swiss cheese D when I see it. 

Utah's schedule, Oregon, Oregon State, UCLA, USC, and UW is a tough conference row to hoe. Playing at Oregon State and UW and USC; well, a big ask to go 3-0 in these games. This is a more difficult conference schedule than Utah faced last season and its OOC schedule is also tough. Somehow the scribes seem to be overlooking the Oregon D playing a solid game versus the Utes last season and also SC losing twice to the Utes even with the Heisman winner at QB. 

I agree with Charles, let the media sell Puddles short in the preseason and look to have the last Pac-12 as we know it, laugh.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Let’s hope! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 7/20/2023 at 5:16 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

To me, you could interchange any of the top 5 teams and put them in any order.

USC, uw, Utah and Oregon could not sustain and injury ro their starting QB and still be a 10 win team.

Oregon at 4 is okay because they have 2 unknowns. Can the oline gel and be dominant? Can the defense get off the field on 3rd down?

If those 2 things happen the Ducks will win the PAC in 2023.

Great take. But here is a known the media is ignoring, Riley for all of his wins at OK and last season at SC has never fielded a quality D. SC's plus 22 turnover margin in 2022 is likely not sustainable. The Pac-12 this season is deeper than Riley played in the B12 where he had a huge roster advantage except for a dysfunctional Texas. SC has a far more difficult conference schedule in 2023 than it had in 2022 even with playing Utah, UW, and UCLA in LA. I have little faith in the Grinch who stole defense being able to dramatically improve SC's D.

I do agree with your great point that you could argue in favor of any of 5 teams plus, because of its conference schedule, UCLA. It's going to be a heck of a battle for every team in the Pac-12.

• Thumbs Up 3

Ironic, if Riley left OK to avoid the SEC (which I think went into his thinking) this is his last chance at a conference CShip for quite a while.

Good riddance a year early.

• Salute 1
  • Haha 2
  • Applause 1

Here is article from the Pac-12 in case you didn't connect with link in post...

PAC-12.COM

USC has been chosen as the favorite to win the 2023 Pac-12 Conference Championship, presented by 76®, in a vote of 36...

• Thanks 1

Milk toast, Copy paste. Media echo chamber dribble. USC has won nothing in decades. Nothing will change for another decade. Oregon and Washington(🤮) are the teams to beat in the Pac.

Ducks lost 2 games by a combined score of 7. Oregon lost those game, they weren't necessarily beaten. Ducks will be much better and it wont even be close. Not a little better, a lot better.

The experts and their USC love fest is a bore. I hate the Huskies, but I hope they stomp USC into the turf in their own house.

• Applause 3

SILENTLY SURGING!

Let them put Oregon back there... all the better when Oregon kicks all their butts and takes the conference!

USC is a hype machine and always has been. They are almost always picked to win the conference and since the conference went to 12 teams they have only manged to do it ONCE. Oregon is coming for them but let those USC fans relish the idea of being conference champions because it isn't going to happen.

Washington is certainly not going to be the No. 2 team.

Can't wait for the season to start so we can see these Ducks prove just how good they are. It's also a pretty trendy pick to not pick Oregon as well based off a lot of these media polls.

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

TMI.  TMI based on the recent past.  USuC will probably falter a bit, they always get over rated.  Utah will be lucky to be 5th if the QB isn't back from that ACL.  Mutts talent level will catch up to them a bit.  Oregon can use this to motivate.  I think the Duck D will be vastly improved this season, and the Offense will be #1 in the Pac if not the country at least from G5 schools.  Can we beat USuC twice?  (I think so)

• Thumbs Up 2

On 7/20/2023 at 5:25 PM, JDuck said:

Duck D will be vastly improved this season

I feel confident we will probably have a top 30 defense this year. The way they played in the spring game with mixed squads showed some massive potential. They did better in their assignments... That is one thing that will carry over into actual play. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

How about Ducks and Beavs in Vegas for the title???

Pac-12 preseason media poll offers bulletin board material for Dan Lanning's Ducks

Bulletin board material? I wouldn’t be shocked.

Of course, with as much talent as there is in the conference — USC, Washington, Utah, and Oregon State are all ranked in the top 25 going into the year — it would be understandable for any team to stumble a couple of times throughout the fall.

However, Duck fans have high expectations for this team considering the depth of talent on the roster.

Here’s a look at how the full Pac-12 preseason media poll projects the final standings will look like this year out west:

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

The preseason Pac-12 media poll was released on Thursday. Will it be bulletin board material for the Ducks? We wouldn’t be surprised.

USC’s defense was horrible last year.  If the D is even average they will be a handful for anyone.  It will be all about that side of the ball.  

On 7/20/2023 at 5:33 PM, Jon Sousa said:

How about Ducks and Beavs in Vegas for the title???

I think I called it in another forum thread... 

So I'm all for it. Granted for that to happen it will require some craziness to happen. 

On 7/20/2023 at 6:26 PM, David Marsh said:

I think I called it in another forum thread... 

So I'm all for it. Granted for that to happen it will require some craziness to happen. 

No craziness... just Ducks and Beavs playing really well every Saturday.

The media is over looking what we have on the offensive line.  They see Oregon losing 4 veteran offensive line starters from last year's team.  But the team will have some of the best talent in the league on this year's squad.

Marcus Harper, Josh Conerly, Jackson Powers-Johnson (who was really mentored by Alex Forsyth in the center position), along with a handful of other younger players who have some experience playing in games.

Also, Lanning and Klemm brought in through the portal Angilus and Cornelius.

Angilus started 34 games across different spots on the line during his time at Texas.  Cornelius was among the most highly-coveted players in the transfer portal.  With the help of these couple of big time commitments, Oregon's offensive line could be a major strength this coming season.

I think about what Will Stein will produce on the field with a talented experience QB and one of the top receiving corps in the country.  Along with an embarrassment of riches in the running back position, and a really good offensive line leading the charge. 

What Will Stein did at his old school with a depleted front line.  I can imagine what he will be able to do with this front line at Oregon.

Our defense will be a different animal this coming season.  With a wealth of talent everywhere with Burch, Bassa and Jamal Hill leading the way.   Dan Lanning is starting to build layers of players to run the type of defense he is looking for.  He is one of the brightest defensive minds in the country.

Both Charles and coach Boles have presented us with an array of multifaceted offensive and defensive plays that excites the imagination of what this team is capable of doing this year.

I have no doubt what this offense will be able achieve this year.  But what I am most intrigue, which I believe will be the big surprise, is our defense.

So, let the media overlook Oregon.  This only brings fodder to the team.

Go Ducks, Fly High!!

• Thumbs Up 1

Steven Jones was killing-it pulling and blasting people on the offensive line before he got hurt last year.  He returns as a senior, and his replacement during the season, Marcus Harper was blasting people in the Holiday Bowl.  We have four veterans returning on the OL, and we have three superb portal transfers.  The concern about the OL is out of ignorance, IMHO.

Speaking of defensive analysis plays....we have a dandy coming up on Monday.  FANTASTIC Blitz technique by Bassa in our bowl game!

Here is a Bassa sack versus Arizona....

Bassa as a Spy_Joe Jackson Jr..jpg

Mr. FishDuck

On 7/20/2023 at 6:46 PM, Jon Sousa said:

No craziness... just Ducks and Beavs playing really well every Saturday.

Both have to take out Utah and UW. 

Oregon has to take out USC and OSU UCLA. 

Then Oregon will beat OSU in the rivalry game. 

So... Oregon goes undefeated and OSU has 1 loss to Oregon. I can get behind that. 

That's the cleanest way it can go down. 

• Let’s hope! 1

SUC and fuskies sitting right where I want them in the preseason. Also expect both to sitting behind Ducks, Beavs and Utes when it's all said and done.

• Let’s hope! 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 7/20/2023 at 7:20 PM, David Marsh said:

So... Oregon goes undefeated and OSU has 1 loss to Oregon. I can get behind that. 

That's the cleanest way it can go down. 

OR OSU can beat Oregon in the rivalry game and then Oregon wins in Vegas.

Everyone says it´s hard to beat a team twice in one year (ask the 2012 LSU team). ¿Which of the two would you rather lose?

If they were both undefeated going into the rivalry game and split the two games on consecutive weekends, They would both be 12-1. Could they both get an invitation to the invitational???

Edited by Jon Sousa
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/21/2023 at 8:30 PM, Jon Sousa said:

OR OSU can beat Oregon in the rivalry game and then Oregon wins in Vegas.

Everyone says it´s hard to beat a team twice in one year (ask the 2012 LSU team). ¿Which of the two would you rather lose?

If they were both undefeated going into the rivalry game and split the two games on consecutive weekends, They would both be 12-1. Could they both get an invitation to the invitational???

If there is a 12-1 SEC champ and another SEC team finishes 12-1, ditto the B1G, probably not. 

On 7/21/2023 at 5:30 PM, Jon Sousa said:

They would both be 12-1. Could they both get an invitation to the invitational???

If there wasn't anit-pac bias... Yes.

On 7/21/2023 at 5:42 PM, Jon Joseph said:

If there is a 12-1 SEC champ and another SEC team finishes 12-1, ditto the B1G, probably not. 

Right after I wrote it, I realized that this will happen several times in the 12 team playoff future... especially in the SEC and the B1G. 

Going with this scenario, It will be possible for top teams in a conference to play each other 3 times in a year: 1 regular conference play, 1 conference championship, 1 playoff (if both win until they meet).

• Thumbs Up 1

Im going to wait and see how the defense plays because last years was not good. I can see why the media puts Oregon where they did. If Bo gets hurt its all over as well.

Fingers crossed!! Go Ducks!!!!!