Steven A

Some New Husky Comments for Upcoming Season and Beyond

The following comments were posted after a re-published 24/7 article post spring game "candid comments" on the Ducks.

A couple of snippets from the article . . .

"What I am most interested in seeing is how Dan Lanning has grown as a head coach. He was in over his head in the Washington and Oregon State games last year toward the end of those games.

"As Bo Nix goes, so goes the Oregon offense. If he's healthy, they'll win pretty much every game they play, but the thing is, can he stay healthy?

"As far as their overall season, I think they'll be a double-digit win team, but they've got some tough games.

Give this team to a staff like Kyle Whittingham and they probably go undefeated, but he's at Utah, so we'll see. I like Lanning and think he's a guy who can be successful, but I think he needs a better staff. He's got some good coaches, but there are some important spots on the staff he needs to upgrade. I think he knows that and we'll see what happens after the season."

On to the comments (not as delusional as in the past):

1)  Going to be a fascinating year, watching how it all plays out. They figure to be undefeated when they come to Montlake in October - both of us in the top 10, maybe. But I wonder what happens with the program if they lose 3 or even 4 games this year. On the flip side, it's not a huge stretch to imagine them winning 11 games.

2)  If Oregon loses 3-4 games before the December early signing period, one has to wonder how many recruits will leave and go elsewhere, especially if USC and Washington play in the conference championship game as predicted.

3)  This seems like a tipping point year in the UW - UO rivalry. If we win strong this year, as we should have a good chance to do, our recruiting should continue to pick up alongside continued excellent coaching (hopefully). This may be our time to get the upper hand in the rivalry! We have great coaching, a great city, strong NIL, and an excellent team. I wouldn't be surprised in ten years for us to jump ahead of UO, or at least achieve parity starting last year. Kind of finishing the work that coach Pete started.

4)  It sure could be a tipping point. Here's what I think we need to really tip the scales: a solid win, a significant uptick in Blue Chip recruiting, a continuing trend of recruits transferring out of Oregon, and maybe more chaos down there (loss of position coaches and even PK finally passing on). They have a recruiting steam engine, but it is not built on the same solid foundation as what the Huskies are building and I think sooner or later the Dawgs will overtake them.

On 7/22/2023 at 8:22 AM, Steven A said:

(loss of position coaches and even PK finally passing on).

Wow... classy!!

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks, Steven, somewhat churlish regarding the Ducks but this is to be expected. Ducks bailing out for UW when Oregon suffers 3 to 4 defeats? The Ducks have 45 new players being added to the roster in 2023 and most of the newcomers are an improvement over the guys they are replacing. The Ducks will have a Blue Chip Roster in 2023. UW will not. The media's prediction of the Pac-12 order of finish? Where is Charles with the gift of Baghdad Bob?

I think it is UW and not Oregon that will suffer at least 3 defeats. At USC, vs Oregon in Seattle and 1 of Utah in Seattle or to Oregon State in Corvallis. 

For the sake of the Pac-10, I do want UW to win at Michigan State, a game that will fly under the radar being broadcast by Peacock. Win this game and Penix will have gone 3-1 vs Sparty.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/22/2023 at 11:47 AM, Log Haulin said:

Wow... classy!!

A product of an inferiority complex.

image.gif.f9705b6ed5dce0c71886cd2eedbbf30a.gif

There sure is a ton of hopeful feelings in there. Surpass Oregon with one more win?

Husky Mod Explaining Recruiting.jpg

Ignore what Dan Lanning is doing!

Washington is building the MOTHER of

all Football Programs!

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 7/22/2023 at 8:47 AM, Log Haulin said:

and even PK finally passing on

Hopefully PK outlives that dud(e).

Plus, I imagine that when it eventually happens, PK will be the gift that keeps on giving.

• Applause 1

"3)  This seems like a tipping point year in the UW - UO rivalry. If we win strong this year, as we should have a good chance to do, our recruiting should continue to pick up alongside continued excellent coaching (hopefully). This may be our time to get the upper hand in the rivalry! We have great coaching, a great city, strong NIL, and an excellent team. I wouldn't be surprised in ten years for us to jump ahead of UO, or at least achieve parody starting last year. Kind of finishing the work that coach Pete started"

Seems apropo...

• Haha 1
  • Mic drop 1

On 7/22/2023 at 1:31 PM, woundedknees said:

"3)  This seems like a tipping point year in the UW - UO rivalry. If we win strong this year, as we should have a good chance to do, our recruiting should continue to pick up alongside continued excellent coaching (hopefully). This may be our time to get the upper hand in the rivalry! We have great coaching, a great city, strong NIL, and an excellent team. I wouldn't be surprised in ten years for us to jump ahead of UO, or at least achieve parody starting last year. Kind of finishing the work that coach Pete started"

Seems apropo...

A great city? That's what the locals have to say about Mogadishu. 

Coach Pete. 1 playoff appearance, 0-1. Oregon, 1 playoff appearance, 1-1. Pete got a lot of hangover Boise love that did not all that often translate into success in the Pac. Pete's OKG guys were MIA vs Bama. 

image.thumb.gif.1fd644f4177e0d0ac1518c2bf871f4c1.gif

• Mic drop 1

Anyone else glad U Duh had the opportunity to experience Coach Pete, rather than Oregon?

• Applause 1

On 7/22/2023 at 8:22 AM, Steven A said:

"What I am most interested in seeing is how Dan Lanning has grown as a head coach. He was in over his head in the Washington and Oregon State games last year toward the end of those games.

Defense needed a bit of an overhaul for Oregon after last year's problems. It looks like that has and is being addressed. 

But I'm going out on a rather strong limb here and say if Nix was healthy Oregon wins both those games against Washington and Oregon State. This person makes it sound like Oregon got smashed both of those games but both of those games were lost by less than a touchdown.

A healthy Nix puts Oregon over the top. 

It's also why I HATE the empty set! Never ever ever ever ever ever run the quarterback from the empty set! It's too easy to diagnose and stop! 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I'd say in both loses, Lanning saw his team start to panic, watched the defense crumble, couldn't get them to regain composure, then took some huge 4th down gambles to attempt to regain momentum. Some first season growing pains for a coach on the brink of an 11-1 playoff appearance. Not bad. I'm pretty sure he learned some valuable lessons, consulted with coach Smart and will be the better for it heading into season two. If the D improves like it seems it has, he grows as a coach (unlike Mario) and recruiting holds steady, I'd say the window of opportunity has already slammed shut on both the fuskies and Beavs to move ahead of the Ducks.

The constant yap from the doghouse up north will just make it that much better.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/22/2023 at 10:58 AM, David Marsh said:

This person makes it sound like Oregon got smashed both of those games but both of those games were lost by less than a touchdown.

Yep.  In both games we saw Lanning pass on kicking two field goals in each game, and those would have been winning points for both games.  (Even with the injury to Bo)

Good thing he is...

giphy.gif

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

I like how they talked about how we go as Nix goes, as if they weren't completely reliant on Penix on offense, I mean COMPLETELY reliant on him.  At least we have a ground game to keep us going, take away Penix and they're back to where they were the previous year. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Just the neighbor up norths dog doing a little howling. Nothing to see here.

We just need its owner to get it to shut up. I have a feeling the Ducks, 15-5 over the last twenty years, will do just that this fall.

OfficialCheeryCoati-max-1mb.gif

• Thumbs Up 1

I was stuck in a vehicle with my brother (a beaver) all day yesterday. He basically is saying the exact same spew.

Two close losses have given both our rivals lots of energy, hope, and delusion.

Coach Lanning needs to remind them who has owned the PNW the last couple decades and show them it is not about to change.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well the Beavers should just keep their mouths shut until they:

■ Make the PAC Title Game

■ Win the PAC Title game 

■ Get a CFP invite

■ Win a CFP game

■ Play for the Natty

That would be a,reason to smack talk. However, when the success of your season is measured by a victory over the Ducks......

What can we say..........

As for the fuskies? Well they will now move to the top of the PAC's most dillusional fan base as usuck moves to the most dillusional conference of all, the big!

GO DUCKS......

Only the Beavers would do what they did in 1991....they won ONE game, (went 1-10) over an injured Oregon and they create and distribute a video called...

"We Own the State!"

giphy.gif

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

I expect to hear a lot of howling from up north after the media picks.

Having us at 4th, below them, should go straight to their heads.

Coach Lanning needs to start another 12 in a row this year!

• Cool 1