Charles Fischer

Where Do the Pac-4 End Up?

The problem with Furd is they are that kid all the other kids looked up to and tried to emulate. ASU, WSU, OSU and the rest, all got to feel like the Ivy League west just by being associated with them. Furd's sense of self spilled over to the rest of the conference and seriously clouded their judgement. It is no coincidence that the B12 destroyed the Pac.

First they didn't have schools worthy enough to bring into the Pac when any of them would have jumped at the opportunity. Then the B12 did the unthinkable and brought in some lowly G5 schools to replace Texas and OU. Then while the Pac demanded $50M per school in a media deal, the B12 swooped in and grabbed the $30M that was being offered. Then the Pac still held it's nose up about adding schools even while all the alarm bells were going off.

Even now, Furd is still the anchor around the Pac's neck as it tries to do anything to avoid going under.The only way they got that much power is they where the school everybody else wanted to be. If the Pac had the humility and awareness that the B12 displayed, they would be the undisputed third best conference in the country right now and it wouldn't be close.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I just hope the PAC-4, or at least two members of the PAC-4 for now, end up in the B1G to create a West coast pod of the conference as many have suggested. Thus that would hopefully reduce the necessity of lengthy travel and keep some of the old rivalries alive.

IMHO, the excitement of playing intriguing new opponents and being in a new conference would soon be replaced by fatigue at the thought of having to travel long distances, perhaps even being away for awhile when playing against opponents on the East coast and probably even some players who want to minimize grueling travel schedules entering the transfer portal.

All members of the PAC-4 have good academics, especially of course Cal and Stanford, if that's a primary concern of the B1G.

Edited by OceaniaDuck

STANFORD INFORMS REMAINING PAC-4 TEAMS IT WILL JOIN THE ACC FOR FREE

Stanford University has consistently been behind the conference realignment eight ball.

While the rest of the Pac-12 Conference has abandoned ship over the past month, Stanford was caught napping.

And now it’s paying a substantial financial price. 

According to the Associated Press, Stanford informed the remaining Pac-4 schools that they’re desperate to leave for the ACC. How desperate? 

Desperate enough that they’re essentially willing to join the conference for free. Literally. For free.

The AP’s source said that leaders from Stanford and the other three schools spoke Thursday, with the Cardinal saying they would leave for a significantly discounted portion of the ACC’s media rights fees. Or for none of it, assuming they’re invited.

Seems like Oregon State’s goal of keeping the schools together doesn’t have much hope of coming to fruition.

WWW.OUTKICK.COM

Stanford reportedly told the remaining Pac-12 Conference universities that they would join the ACC for a huge discount or nothing.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

If, in fact, Stanford is willing to join the ACC for nothing, would the Big 10 step up and offer them , maybe with Cal, at a very reduced rate?  Is the Big just sitting back, waiting for the fallout, ready to swoop in to pick up the pieces for nothing?   Adding the SF viewers for pittance makes pretty good sense to me.

• Go Ducks! 1

I have written this earlier, but if the B1G came in and offered just 10 million-the B1G could profit, and we would all benefit from from a bigger western pod.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

OK something tells me the B1G is just not going to let Furd go to the ACC (which could potentially seal ND's eventual football conference should they forego being independent) at a bargain basement price.

I'm with you on this one FD, just offer Furd/Cal $10 million or quarter share or eighth share for that matter it's still better than what they would get in the MWC.  

Then let the rodents and wazoo own the name and merge/expand with the MWC/AAC.

Edited by noDucknewby
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/18/2023 at 10:41 AM, noDucknewby said:

OK something tells me the B1G is just not going to let Furd go to the ACC (which could potentially seal ND's eventual football conference should they forego being independent) at a bargain basement price.

I'm with you on this one FD, just offer Furd/Cal $10 million or quarter share or eighth share for that matter it's still better than what they would get in the MWC.  

Then let the rodents and wazoo own the name and merge/expand with the MWC/AAC.

I don't think Cal will be able to survive on $10 million like Stanford could, they don't have a similarly huge endowment of funds to dip into for several years.  The B10 would have to offer both of them a decent share or at least Cal (though I don't think Stanford would like that).  I could see the the B10 trying to entice Notre Dame to join if they can pull in Stanford.

This interrogative reminds me of the following story.

Coach - 'Son, I don't understand it. You have all the talent in the world. This is your 5th season here at State and you have yet to break into the starting line-up.

Is this because you lack intelligence; or, because you are too apathetic?'

Player - 'Coach, I don't know and I don't care.'

As to my answer to the question posed by the topic, refer to Player.

On 8/18/2023 at 10:57 AM, kirklandduck said:

I don't think Cal will be able to survive on $10 million like Stanford could, they don't have a similarly huge endowment of funds to dip into for several years.  The B10 would have to offer both of them a decent share or at least Cal (though I don't think Stanford would like that).  I could see the the B10 trying to entice Notre Dame to join if they can pull in Stanford.

Cal really has no options, their ceiling is probably $10 million.  A B1G invite at a drastically reduced rate may allow them to survive until the next round, but aside from that what are their options?  No chance as an independent and maybe $10 million in the MWC/AAC/Pac.  I hope this doesn't happen, but if they can't figure out how to survive on that amount then they probably won't.

If the Big does ultimately swoop in and grab Stanford and Cal, it would obviously be a big advantage for Oregon.  Not just because there would be a western pod of teams so a little less travel, but also because we would likely play them on a regular basis, and Cal, Stanford, UCLA, and maybe even UW are likely weaker teams than many of the Big teams.  That might be a real advantage, especially since UO has a history with the other western teams.

• Thumbs Up 4

On 8/18/2023 at 4:05 PM, noDucknewby said:

Cal really has no options, their ceiling is probably $10 million.  A B1G invite at a drastically reduced rate may allow them to survive until the next round, but aside from that what are their options?  No chance as an independent and maybe $10 million in the MWC/AAC/Pac.  I hope this doesn't happen, but if they can't figure out how to survive on that amount then they probably won't.

My roll of the dice. Stanford will go independent. The ACC will implode. Stanford and Notre Dame will be invited to join the B1G. 20 teams break nicely into 4, 5 team pods. Will the B1G want to split the revenue with more than 20 teams?

If so, then Cal, UNC, Duke, UVA, Georgia Tech, and Miami, all AAU member schools, could be in the mix. I do not see the B1G adding non-AAU members Clemson and FSU. Had Nebraska not been an AAU member school at the time it joined the B1G it would not have been offered B1G membership. Out of the to-be, 18 schools come 2024, Nebraska will be the only non-AAU member. 

The Pac-12 could not afford this academic snobbery. The B1G can.

• Great post! 1

Conference game against Mario? If he lasts that long? See #1

WWW.YAHOO.COM

A look at five predictions for conference expansion for the Big Ten, ACC and SEC.

Kirk Schulz's WSU athletics advisory committee convenes in 'a frank discussion'

THE ADVISORY COMMITTEE Washington State President Kirk Schulz formed, to help identify the school’s best path forward in athletics following the disintegration of the Pac-12, met Friday for the first time in what was described by those on hand as “highly informative” and “a frank discussion.”

A number of committee members asked notably penetrating questions of Schulz, who chaired the Zoom gathering, Cougfan.com has learned.

Neither names nor questions were shared but Schulz was characterized as engaged, factual and unflappable.

Much of the focus, CF.C was told, centered on the fluidity of the college landscape and what options might be available to WSU for a conference alignment, particularly if the on-again/off-again dalliance between Cal, Stanford and the ACC.

Sources declined to detail the options discussed. But the current lay of the land would suggest some version of the following...

247SPORTS.COM

Status of Cal and Stanford looms large

Kirk Schulz says WSU has three options in conference hunt

'Apple discussed putting $100 million in the first year into marketing this'

SINCE THE PAC-12 collapsed two weeks ago, Washington State President Kirk Schulz has maintained a low profile for a president navigating a crisis. In the immediate aftermath, he granted an interview for an ESPN.com story and a California newspaper.

This past week, he announced an advisory committee would be formed to help WSU decide on its future. But that was about it. Schulz finally spoke out in more detail on Friday in a video with a WSU regent.

In a nearly hour-long Q&A with WSU Regent Enrique Cerna, Schulz dished on a wide range of topics, including Washington State's remaining options for conference affiliation, the proposed Apple deal UW and Oregon turned down, and whether he felt betrayed by his cross-state rival the University of Washington. 

The full interview can be found at the bottom of this article, with a snippet in the video above. But here are a few initial takeaways from the interview...

247SPORTS.COM

'Apple discussed putting $100 million in the first year into marketing this'

OK, I do kind of care. Viewer wise it is Wazzu getting the short end of the stick. In 2022, Washington State came in at No. 41 of the 131 P5/G5 teams ranked by the average number of football game viewers. Wazzu averaged 907K viewers a game. That's punching way above its weight class. 

45. Cal - 857K/ 47. Stanford - 846K/ 57. Oregon State - 624K

And Beavers fans believe their school has the same brand appeal as No. 12 Oregon with an average of 2.21M? Riiiiiiiigth!

FANSIDED.COM

With the Pac-12 on its last legs, Washington State has been evaluating its options. What does the future hold for Cougars? As told in a conversation with E...

Edited by Jon Joseph

Pac-12 collapse: WSU president suggests Fox’s strategy fueled Big Ten’s raid of Oregon, Washington

One of the Pac-12′s longtime media partners had strategic reasons for taking the step that decimated the conference, according to a university president with knowledge of the media rights negotiations.

Washington State’s Kirk Schulz, chair of the Pac-12 board of directors, suggested late last week that Fox might have lured Washington and Oregon into the Big Ten in order to prevent the Pac-12 from signing an agreement with Apple.

“We’ve got just a couple networks that are making the real decisions about who goes where based on the dollars they want to put into it,” Schulz said during a conversation published on the university’s YouTube channel.

“I do think if I was Fox and ESPN, I’m not sure I want Apple in the marketplace, frankly. I don’t want somebody with pockets that are that deep as a rival if I can afford it.”

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

Washington State’s Kirk Schulz suggested that Fox might have lured Oregon and Washington into the Big Ten in order to prevent...

On 8/22/2023 at 1:52 PM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

“I do think if I was Fox and ESPN, I’m not sure I want Apple in the marketplace, frankly. I don’t want somebody with pockets that are that deep as a rival if I can afford it.”

Apple overplayed their hand and ended up with nothing.

In negotiations, you always try to figure out what the other side wants or at least what they are willing to settle for.  

If I’m Oregon (or Washington) there is no way that I agree to a 100% streaming option, at this point in time, with no linear TV coverage. National exposure is still too important (e.g., for recruiting - the lifeblood of a college program). One or both programs might have been willing to entertain Apple’s offer, if there was a linear component (or if Apple or Amazon was offering Saudi level money…)

The PAC-12 commissioner should have known this too and shame on him for not coming to the schools with options. He and the consultant he hired were terrible and put the final nail in the PAC-12 coffin. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 8/22/2023 at 4:52 PM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

Pac-12 collapse: WSU president suggests Fox’s strategy fueled Big Ten’s raid of Oregon, Washington

One of the Pac-12′s longtime media partners had strategic reasons for taking the step that decimated the conference, according to a university president with knowledge of the media rights negotiations.

Washington State’s Kirk Schulz, chair of the Pac-12 board of directors, suggested late last week that Fox might have lured Washington and Oregon into the Big Ten in order to prevent the Pac-12 from signing an agreement with Apple.

“We’ve got just a couple networks that are making the real decisions about who goes where based on the dollars they want to put into it,” Schulz said during a conversation published on the university’s YouTube channel.

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

Washington State’s Kirk Schulz suggested that Fox might have lured Oregon and Washington into the Big Ten in order to prevent...

Thanks, PA. To me. it's about the result and not the predicate. Speculative autopsies matter not. Puddles is partially in the money and will be totally in the money come 2031. 

Pay millions for the SFO market when Cal and Stanford play in front of empty stadiums? Pay millions for the Corvallis and Pullman markets? 

Headliners play at Caesar's Palace and others are Lounge acts.

image.thumb.gif.5b3539b8b46dfd195292afff2ae3b1e2.gif

On 8/23/2023 at 7:25 AM, NJDuck said:

Chip Kelly Saddened By Collapse Of Pac-12

arizona-v-ucla.webp

https://thespun.com/pac-12/ucla/chip-kelly-saddened-by-collapse-of-pac-12

Yes, it’s too bad that the LA schools bolted for more money, leaving the rest of the Pacific schools hanging. Hope Chip had those conversations with UCLA’s AD during that decision period…

• Thumbs Up 2

NCAA CONFERENCE CHAOS LEAVES MOST FANS UNFAZED: SPORTICO/HARRIS POLL

With the latest convulsions of college conference realignment having pushed the Pac-12 to the verge of death—and stranding programs like Cal and Stanford—Americans’ response is a collective shrug.

A survey conducted this month by Sportico and The Harris Poll, in the immediate wake of Oregon’s and Washington’s decision to ditch the Pac-12 for the Big Ten in 2024, found that 55% of U.S. adults familiar with conference realignment did not feel as if it had impacted their enjoyment of college sports.

Indeed, more members of that cohort (26%) said that conference realignment had actually enhanced their enjoyment, as compared to 18% who felt it had diminished it.

See the Harris Survey results in the article...

WWW.SPORTICO.COM

At the same time, a Sportico/Harris Poll survey conducted in wake of Pac-12 upheaval found most fans are fine with latest...

Too bad these colleges can’t sue the networks for collusion and loss of revenue because of their own greed.

Which teams are most likely to join Oregon in the Big Ten down the road?

Though it appears this round of conference realignment and expansion is over for the time being, I would be willing to put a lot of money on the notion that once next summer rolls around, we will once again be talking about which team is going where.

In the world of college football, there has been so much movement over the past decade that it feels like nothing will stop until we eventually get two major 30-team conferences that look like the NFL rather than collegiate athletics.

There is also the idea of college football adopting a relegation system, much like European soccer, which is starting to catch on with fans.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

If the Big Ten were to further expand down the road, who might they go after? We’ve got a few ideas.

If the B1G wants to compete with the SEC on the football field, then they should add the strongest football programs. Clemson and FSU have both gone toe-to-toe with the best in the SEC and won national championships. 

Forget athletic snobbery. Look where it got Stanford and Cal, and by extension the soon to be extinct PAC-12. 

On 8/23/2023 at 1:08 PM, OregonDucks said:

If the B1G wants to compete with the SEC on the football field, then they should add the strongest football programs. Clemson and FSU have both gone toe-to-toe with the best in the SEC and won national championships. 

Forget athletic snobbery. Look where it got Stanford and Cal, and by extension the soon to be extinct PAC-12. 

Even with Fox driving the bus, the B1G is not going to go after non-AAU member schools. This is one way in which the B1G distinguishes the conference from the SEC. In 2024, Nebraska will be the only B1G school out of 18 members not to be an AAU member university. Nebraska was an AAU member at the time it joined the B1G; otherwise, it would not have gotten the invite. 

B1G presidents would much prefer to add AAU member schools Georgia Tech, UNC, Duke, and UVA over Clemson and FSU. 

Unlike the Pac-12, the B1G can afford to be an Elite Club.

On 8/23/2023 at 10:17 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Even with Fox driving the bus, the B1G is not going to go after non-AAU member schools. This is one way in which the B1G distinguishes the conference from the SEC. In 2024, Nebraska will be the only B1G school out of 18 members not to be an AAU member university. Nebraska was an AAU member at the time it joined the B1G; otherwise, it would not have gotten the invite. 

B1G presidents would much prefer to add AAU member schools Georgia Tech, UNC, Duke, and UVA over Clemson and FSU. 

Unlike the Pac-12, the B1G can afford to be an Elite Club.

And this is why the B1G will not catch up with the SEC on the football field but at least the presidents can turn up their collective noses and talk about academics and success of Olympic sports. 

If the SEC adds Clemson and FSU, then the new SEC has won 9 of the past 10 college football national championships. Ohio State is the only outlier. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Report: ACC expansion under serious consideration with major concessions from SMU, Cal, Stanford

According to ESPN’s Pete Thamel, ACC expansion is once again under “serious consideration” by league members. The Cal Golden Bears, Stanford Cardinal, and SMU Mustangs are receiving the most attention as the ACC is looking to add three new schools.

“Sources: The potential additions of Cal, Stanford and SMU to the ACC are again under serious consideration by the ACC,” Thamel said via Twitter. “A small group of ACC presidents met Wednesday morning to discuss financial models that would come with the additions.

“Those models are expected to include significant financial concessions from the school that will be added.”

On 8/24/2023 at 3:01 PM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

Because the money wasn't the issue. Controlling and consolidating college football was the oy thong at play. 

Even if Stanford and Cal go to the ACC there will only be a few years before that conference probably falls apart because their biggest teams want B1G and SEC money that they can never get outside of those conferences. 

I think at this point Stanford and Cal may be discarded again I'd they join the ACC. 

I don't understand Mandel's comment.  ESPN and Fox got what they wanted.  They didn't want 4 of the 12 at that price point:  $31M.   They didn't want to pay $31M x 12, or x 10, if it included WSU and OSU, they wanted a discount below $31M.   The fact they may pay that now is ok with them because they got the 8 teams they wanted.  And, by slow walking it the $31M is less than they might have paid a year ago.

• Thumbs Up 1

👆Exactly.  
Networks wanted to shed the dead weight, why pay $30M each for Beavis and Coug.

Then starting with Colorado, the recent 6 that left the Pac decided the same thing.  Getting watered down by low value partners.  Sad but smart.

Sure sounds like Stanford and Cal will be officially gone any hour now.

WWW.SPORTSKEEDA.COM

The Oregon State Beavers are one of four schools remaining in the Pac-12, which has appeared on the verge of collapse for much of the summer.

P.S. MWC Commissioner Gloria Nevarez reportedly is in Pullman today…

SPORTS.YAHOO.COM

Commissioners of the two leagues will deliver expansion presentations in the coming days to officials from Washington State and Oregon State, sources tell Yahoo Sports.

Edited by AllOregon

After 5-6 years, it is funny how 10 of 12 teams will be making 31 mil.  The ESPN/Fox save for a couple of years.  WSU and OSU really are going to be getting the short end of the stick.

Stanford and Cal would come in earning a reduced share of the ACC’s annual roughly $35-40 million average total distribution—perhaps as little as 25% initially, according to sources—escalating over multiple years, according to a source. SMU, according to sources, would forego their share of the media distribution portion of that pot for multiple years and essentially come into the league earning only from non-media rights distributions such as bowl distribution payouts, College Football Playoff distributions and NCAA tournament units

OSU Board of Trustees is meeting via Zoom right now. Barnes on agenda for Athletics Update including discussion on revenue (can click on his PPT in agenda).

LEADERSHIP.OREGONSTATE.EDU

*Members of the public have the following options for providing comments on action items listed on the agenda: Submit written comments by noon Wednesday, Aug. 23 to trustees@oregonstate.edu. All

Edited by AllOregon

There has been much media speculation the past two days here in the southeast (South Carolina) that the ACC will take in Stanford, Cal, WSU, and SMU tonight, this weekend, or on Monday.

FSU and Clemson will announce departure from the ACC conference in the near future, and are strategizing their moves. They may not end up in the same conference.

Edited by Notalot

On 8/25/2023 at 5:45 PM, Notalot said:

There has been much media speculation the past two days here in the southeast (South Carolina) that the ACC will take in Stanford, Cal, WSU, and SMU tonight, this weekend, or on Monday.

FSU and Clemson will announce departure from the ACC conference in the near future, and are strategizing their moves. They may not end up in the same conference.

Wazzu? WOW! Had not heard this but WA ST had 900K average football viewers in 2022. Better than Cal, Stanford, SMU, and Oregon State.

Seems like the B12 is really whiffing on expansion. CU, AU and ASU have just been about as dormant as can be in football for a long time. OSU seems to have a long term coach that could keep a team in play for the top 25 for the next decade. WSU actually has better media support than the schools the B12 brought in. When all is said and done, I think they will have bloated themselves on empty carbs and passed up the real meat and potatoes that were out there to be had.

Stanford and Cal reportedly exploring the possibility of joining the Big 12

We are well aware of the Pac-12's embracing collapse, but there are still four programs left looking for a home.

Stanford and Cal are in a peculiar position because in one sense they control what Oregon State and Washington State are able to do, but in the other they are also left waiting and hoping.

The two Bay Area programs have been linked to the ACC for a couple weeks now, and while they were just one vote short and there have been financial plans discussed to add them, they have not yet been invited. The clear cut vibes coming from the two programs is that they want to be in a Power 5 program, but they need that interest to be reciprocated.

On Saturday, we learned via a report from the San Francisco Chronicle that Stanford and Cal have begun looking into the possibility of joining the Big 12.

The conference has already taken in four other Pac-12 programs, and has been one of the main aggressors in this latest realignment wave.

WWW.MSN.COM

On 8/26/2023 at 2:05 PM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

Stanford and Cal reportedly exploring the possibility of joining the Big 12

We are well aware of the Pac-12's embracing collapse, but there are still four programs left looking for a home.

Stanford and Cal are in a peculiar position because in one sense they control what Oregon State and Washington State are able to do, but in the other they are also left waiting and hoping.

The two Bay Area programs have been linked to the ACC for a couple weeks now, and while they were just one vote short and there have been financial plans discussed to add them, they have not yet been invited. The clear cut vibes coming from the two programs is that they want to be in a Power 5 program, but they need that interest to be reciprocated.

On Saturday, we learned via a report from the San Francisco Chronicle that Stanford and Cal have begun looking into the possibility of joining the Big 12.

The conference has already taken in four other Pac-12 programs, and has been one of the main aggressors in this latest realignment wave.

WWW.MSN.COM

WOW!!!!

If they actually join the Big 12 that will be huge sign of the times because that will mean they will take an academic step down. The Big 12 is a second rate conference in terms of prestige and academics these days. The Big 12 is Fox and ESPN's tier 2 conference, teams absolutely worth keeping but certainly not worth the full payout.

I could see both Fox and ESPN being ok with shoving Cal and Stanford into the Big 12. The brands are good enough to keep around but not B1G good.

But the desperation for Cal and Stanford are certainly showing now if they are looking at the Big 12 which is pretty much void of any AAU members.

Two of the finest public universities in the land having to settle for the Big-12?

giphy.gif

Where Oregon State would like to go?

Count our blessings Duck-Buddies!

Mr. FishDuck

Oregon State, Washington State not expected to decide conference fate until around Labor Day

The fate of Oregon State and Washington State in terms of their future conference alignment will extend until at least Labor Day if not longer, sources told CBS Sports.

American commissioner Mike Aresco is expected to engage with both schools by Zoom next week. An in-person meeting to both campuses is expected soon after, sources said. Mountain West commissioner Gloria Nevarez has already pitched both schools.

That somewhat clarifies what has become a competition between the two conferences for the two remaining Pac-12 schools in the Northwest, though the interest of the MWC and AAC does not preclude another conference from potentially getting involved.

Oregon State and Washington State are being advised not to make a decision until it is clear what revenue remains to be distributed from what appears to be the dissolution of the Pac-12. That windfall could be upwards of the mid-eight figures, sources told CBS Sports. It remains to be seen whether and how much of that revenue would be split with the other eight Pac-12 schools.

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

Meanwhile, California, Stanford and SMU continue to seek ACC membership

On 8/26/2023 at 8:35 PM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

Oregon State, Washington State not expected to decide conference fate until around Labor Day

The fate of Oregon State and Washington State in terms of their future conference alignment will extend until at least Labor Day if not longer, sources told CBS Sports.

American commissioner Mike Aresco is expected to engage with both schools by Zoom next week. An in-person meeting to both campuses is expected soon after, sources said. Mountain West commissioner Gloria Nevarez has already pitched both schools.

That somewhat clarifies what has become a competition between the two conferences for the two remaining Pac-12 schools in the Northwest, though the interest of the MWC and AAC does not preclude another conference from potentially getting involved.

Oregon State and Washington State are being advised not to make a decision until it is clear what revenue remains to be distributed from what appears to be the dissolution of the Pac-12. That windfall could be upwards of the mid-eight figures, sources told CBS Sports. It remains to be seen whether and how much of that revenue would be split with the other eight Pac-12 schools.

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

Meanwhile, California, Stanford and SMU continue to seek ACC membership

Cue, the Lawyers.

image.gif.5b280782d033412d041e6146b8efe8ed.gif

Report: Big 12 'has no intention' of adding remaining Pac-12 members

Despite the Big 12 reportedly emerging as a spot for Cal, Stanford, Oregon State and Washington State, Action Network’s Brett McMurphy reported the opposite.

The Big 12, which expanded with the additions of Colorado, Utah, Arizona and Arizona State this summer, won’t pursue two more Pac-12 schools for further expansion. Oklahoma and Texas will move to the SEC in 2024, giving the Big 12 a totally new look.

The conference also expanded prior to this year by adding new members UCF, Houston, BYU and Cincinnati.

“Despite various reports to the contrary, Big 12 has not had conversations w/any of the Pac-4 schools & has no intention in engaging w/those schools, multiple Big 12 sources told Action Network HQ,” McMurphy wrote on Twitter.

WWW.ON3.COM

Despite the Big 12 reportedly emerging as a spot for Cal, Stanford, Oregon State and Washington State, Action Network’s Brett...

On 8/27/2023 at 2:59 PM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

Report: Big 12 'has no intention' of adding remaining Pac-12 members

Despite the Big 12 reportedly emerging as a spot for Cal, Stanford, Oregon State and Washington State, Action Network’s Brett McMurphy reported the opposite.

The Big 12, which expanded with the additions of Colorado, Utah, Arizona and Arizona State this summer, won’t pursue two more Pac-12 schools for further expansion. Oklahoma and Texas will move to the SEC in 2024, giving the Big 12 a totally new look.

The conference also expanded prior to this year by adding new members UCF, Houston, BYU and Cincinnati.

“Despite various reports to the contrary, Big 12 has not had conversations w/any of the Pac-4 schools & has no intention in engaging w/those schools, multiple Big 12 sources told Action Network HQ,” McMurphy wrote on Twitter.

WWW.ON3.COM

Despite the Big 12 reportedly emerging as a spot for Cal, Stanford, Oregon State and Washington State, Action Network’s Brett...

Maybe no intention of adding the last four for full payouts. I could see Fox and ESPN not wanting to pay 30 mill for these four.. because they weren't willing to do so the PAC would still be alive. 

• Let’s hope! 1

This smells like negotiating tactics on all or 1-2 of the Pac4s part. And that’s smart.

ACC decision on Stanford, Call, SMU possible today.

SPORTS.YAHOO.COM

Three weeks of deep exploration into a three-team expansion plan including Stanford, Cal and SMU appears to coming to an end.

Stanford and California to ACC decision delayed...

No surprise here. In 2024 I agree that the field will have five not six automatic champ qualifiers with seven, not six, at large teams.

FANSIDED.COM

The College Football playoff is planning to ignore the Pac-12 when it comes to playoff consideration. What else can this conference endure before it completely.

I don't pretend to have a clue what will happen to the 4 remaining teams but this I know: they all deserve respect.  They did not deserve what's happened to them and it's a dirty, rotten shame (imo) this whole thing is going down the way it is.  It's also, (again, my own opinion) a sad commentary on what's happening in America to collegiate amateurism and sports.  In fact, I'm not certain I will ever be as enthused or excited about the Fall season rolling around as I have been for the past 50 years.