Charles Fischer

Love/Hate USC: Does it Help Oregon?

As much as it disgusts me to write, I have to admit that the media loves to discuss USC, and I am certain a big part of it is catering to the massive number of fans in Southern California. This phenomenon is not going away with Lincoln Riley, because they will either be discussed for how great they are, or how they are not measuring up.

But the bottom line is, USC is going to continuously be in the national discussion, and that just makes me want to hurl. 🤮

Yet it is quite evident that USC fans detest Oregon and our fans, and now that we will both be in the B1G, it should be quite an ongoing rivalry.

Does all the discussion about USC help West Coast exposure, and hence helps Oregon, when we out-recruit them, and beat them on the field?

Juwan Johnson scores vs USC_Eugene Johnson.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

The more SUC fans spew hatred for OBD, the more inclined the BIG will be to schedule their yearly beat down and that’s all right with me.

• Thumbs Up 2

I think it will help us--whether we're cast in the Plucky Underdog narrative for several years (America loves an underdog even though we're not with respect to USC IMHO), and hopefully the established football Powerhouse narrative after that.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm indifferent.  Unless you are a USC, Michigan, Alabama, tOSU, blue blood etc, some other team is always going to be discussed more than your team, whether or not they are actually better than your team.  I guess I would lean towards good, because nothing west of Texas is hardly discussed in college football.

• Applause 1

Oregon just needs to win a National Championship. Then (and only then) will Oregon get the consideration (and discussion) it deserves. No matter how much we want things to be different, they don't work that way in the national media. Fair or not, that's life in American sports.

• Thumbs Up 1

“Checking dates” USC has one more pac 12 championships than the Buffalos who joined 2010.

• Haha 1
  • Mic drop 2
  • Applause 2

I am fine with the media falling all over themselves talking up USuC.  It just makes it all the better when we beat them.

And beat them we will, over and over again, like a dusty old rug from in front of the door. Since 2000 we are 9-5 with one vacated by USuC.

10/14/200- W, 28-17

9/22/2001- W, 24-22

10/26/2001- L, 33-44

9/24/2005- Vacated, L, 45-13

11/11/2006- L, 35-10

10/27/2007-W, 24-17

10/4/2008- L. 44-10

10/31/2009-W, 47-10

10/30/2010-W, 53-32

11/19/2011- L, 38-35

11/3/2012- W, 62-51

11/21/2015- W, 48-28

11/5/2016- L, 45-20

11/2/2019, W, 56-24

12!18/2020- W, 31-24

The more sunshine the media pumps, the better our wins look, while making any loss, not so bad.

• Applause 1

Rivalry? The Ducks have not played the Trojans since the champ game win in 2020.

Puddles is more likely to face off against Traveler in the B1g than in the Pac-12 because the Cali scheduling agreement is going away. 

• Like 1

Sports Hate should always be embraced.  I’ve Sports Hated the Fuskies my entire life and I’m richer for the experience.  

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Haha 2
  • Mic drop 1
  • Great post! 1

I don't think usc getting more hype helps Oregon or the left coast.

Until we beat them.

They have always been a media darling, prob always will. It's Hollywood baby.

Perfect place for neon Dion to end up.

Too many celebrities for sports pundits to rub shoulders and be seen with.

Coach Lanning and his team know what good recruits want and need. As long as he does that, we continue to go good to great.

Let the talking heads do their pontificating, will just win the games.

• Thumbs Up 1

Last 7 games vs. SC. Ducks 5-2.

SC, #8 ranked roster. Oregon is not far behind at #10. But, A+M is up there again and last season I don't believe the TCU roster cracked the top 25. 

Rivalries are much more engaging with a some hating on the other team and it’s fans. Trojan boys and the puppies will be ready made rivalries for us in the BIG. 

Many fans today are not old enough to remember when usc was dominate. The media definitely leans towards them because of potential households their advertisers can reach. 

Oregon winning in the BIG will take our recruiting to the next level. But, any year we can beat both the puppies and the the Trojan boys will be very satisfying to me. 

• Thumbs Up 1

It all comes down to numbers and $'s guys. Los Angeles (and So.California) is a heck of a lot bigger market than Eugene and the lower Willammette valley. Heck, that's a bigger market than our entire state - a couple of times over.  If you think about it, Oregon is the huge over-achiever here, garnering the amount of respect it has against the likes of USC and UCLA.  

• Thumbs Up 1