Log Haulin

Thoughts on Ty Thompson

It appears the Ducks QB room got better. Perhaps much better. Annoyingly, I have to preface every comment with "it was Portland State". 

TT was solid. Gone were the throws to the feet of his receivers in the flat. He looked poised and his decision making was almost perfect. Ty was going through progressions with no urgency or panic. He was making plays with his arm and feet.

Gone was the panic on his face we have grown accustomed to seeing when he steps out on the field in front of 60k fans. He looked confident, relaxed. It made a difference in performance.

It was nice to see Ty corral a couple bad snaps and not panic. In the past he would have panicked and make poor decisions. Instead TT secured the ball and moved on to make a play. Growth.

His decisions to pull the ball and run were the right decisions. He ran with aggresion and purpose. I think this success loosened him up a bit more. There were a couple plays that he should have pulled the ball and ran but I get it. 

The quick slant to Briant Jr was perfect. Throw was very accurate and quick. Result in a +10 chunk. Ty would/could have missed that throw last year.

TT also hit Lamar in the flat after scanning (or so it appeared) right to left, the entire field. Thats not something TT has done in the past. 

Two plays I am sure TT would want back. He under threw Kasper but drew a PI. So that resulted in a positive play.

TT missed Lamar (?) Down the middle. He could have put it in the air a bit and it's a TD.  Almost picked. Gotta make that play.

Love Thompsons skill. Dude has a strong arm and its clear he is very accurate. He is a big strong kid. Best game he has played in a Duck uni. 

QB room has me a bit more confident in the future if TT's number is called. Hopefully what he showed is not just because of PSU talent level. Can't wait to see him perform v. better competition. 

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Great post! 2
  • Applause 4
  • Thumbs Up 7

I agree 100%

• Go Ducks! 1

He has to keep believing and Stein has to keep feeding him things he can do. He definitely has the arm strength, and feet. 

I just hope the whole mental aspect can come together, as he was a china doll out there in the past. 

He has to believe, lead, and make it happen for the team to get behind him.

Great first step in a new progression for the young man, proud of him! He deserved what happened against PSU!

He has to see the entire field.  I also thought he looked much better.  Scanned the field, and actually attacked the defense for once.  I still think his sense of timing is off, but he looked much better ( but it was against zero pressure- let's see his game when he has to release quick, into tight windows). 

Let's hope he is learning rapidly now, and is finally grasping the speed of the game, and making it show down so he can read and react appropriately.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I firmly believe coach Stein is what TT needed.  Our QB room just got better because of it.

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Two things... 

1. Thompson looked comfortable out there. He knew what he was doing and how to operate the offense. He didna fine job in running the offense for the snaps he got as well. But again, the most important thing was that he didn't look lost out there, he was in control. 

That doesn't matter who he plays against because that is confidence that he knew the playbook. 

He may look uncomfortable for other reasons but last year he stepped onto the field and just looked like a deer in the headlights. 

2. I remember reading somewhere that Stein has given Thompson a tweaked playbook that is designed for him and his skills. It's probably a bit smaller as he doesn't have the experience that Nix does and there are probably plays that give him fewer reads. 

There was one play that was a screen pass that was blown up, which was poor receiver blocking, and Thompson out the ball on his receiver just fine and though the play was for a loss, it feels like that pass was designed to go there no matter what. 

That sort of thing has probably helped Thompson play with more confidence and better.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Ty could not hit a slant pattern for two years if his life depended upon it.  Now he hits WRs in stride? 

Will Stein....

giphy.gif

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

I think TT did a fine job.  But let us please reserve a tiny bit of our enthusiasm for his play ... and also that of the team.  We'll certainly learn more against a team with a pulse.  The PSU game was a great one for us to watch and I was joyous.  But a celebration of expectation should more likely be a modulated atta-boy/team and some hope for the future.  It's a LONG season and the PAC is loaded this year.  Work is yet to be done.

GO DUCKS!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

TT faced a defense that had 50 plus points tacked on to it by the time he entered the game in the third quarter, after Bo got his last scoring drive to start the Third Quarter.  I give him a grade of B for leading the team and making his passes and handing off with no mis ques.  He even recovered from a high snap.  To me, better than previous game appearances under Lanning or Cristobal.  I also believe real game snaps are important moving forward.  He is taller than Bo and I believe heavier but dropping your head to tackles is not wise for a back up.

Getting more real snaps, will hopefully get him up to game speed and working on his progressions.  Developing that routine and getting comfortable in the pocket should help his flow.  He still appears tight and it does not seem second nature to him.

It was very nice to see Novastad out there, I did not watch too much after Bo's last score as the wife put me to work, "with the game in hand". On top of that camera shots from the PAC-12 network sucks.  The caliber of players are obviously second string and bench but college talent.

Oregon, has depth on both sides of the ball, even with a lot of transfers out and New to the Team players.  I am so nervous about our secondary playing loose trying to prevent explosions plays. Watched Bassa chasing RB's from behind, DB's with the backs to QB before turning around and contact with WR or RB's.  No pass from me for the Defensive calls.  With Oregon scoring so much, PSU offense was defeated early and just wanted to get out of Eugene.

This is the Oregon that took the steam out of teams during the Chip and first half of the Helf era.  Force teams to have to pass to catch up.  Then make them make mistakes, fumbles, interceptions and 3 and outs.  Oregon's score a point a minute days.

• Thumbs Up 1

Count me as a Will Stein fan also... as QB coach. Not only did we see improvement in TT, but Novosad was night and day better than what we saw in the Spring Game. Granted Novosad only had the spring back then, but still, he looked confident and put the ball where it needed to be last Saturday.

If TT and AN continue to improve throughout the season, with several opportunities to contribute, and if Will Stein stays with the Ducks for a few years, then we can put to rest the idea that the Ducks will need to continue to poach the Portal for its starting QBs. We want to recruit good QBs out of high school and develop them into D1 superstars.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Barring some absolute major fluke of a performance. It appears Will Stein is absolutely a win of a hire by Lanning. Seems like he has a somewhat more reserved, quiet demeanor (similar to TT). Maybe that has helped him be more relatable in teaching the Xs and Os. I like Kenny Dillingham but he is just about the loudest, most animated OC Oregon has ever had and some kids just don't learn as well under that.

Novosad looked confident out there as well. You could see him not hesitating to check the protection with his linemen. I have no doubt that with a season under his belt he will make a legitimate push to win the job next year. My confidence in how our QB room is shaping up for 2024 has started to really grow.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1

Makes you realize once again just how important that OC/QB working relationship is leading up to game week preparation. Stein had TT ready for PSU. That’s why I’m feeling pretty good about in how he’ll deal with tougher competition. Stein has shown he knows how to put him in a position to succeed.

I remember when Bo first announced he was coming to play at Oregon. Most Duck fans where very vocal about their displeasure. 

The main argument was we have TT. Highest rated QB Ducks have ever signed. Put Ty in and develope him. What if Ty transfers. So on and so forth.

After Bo started winning, Duck fans were elated. For good reason. Dudes a gamer. Bo Nix was a Dude at Auburn. He just needed a supporting cast and the right coach. But Bo was a competitor. 

Back to TT, when he was inserted into games last year it was obvious he was in way over his head. He had been in the progr'm for a while and can't perform on Saturdays.

Ty looked lost. Deer in the headlights was a common descriptor. Passes thrown to the feet of his reciever, fumbles, int. Shoot... the kid could barely corral the snap. It was bad.

Duck fans, including me were hard on the kid. Understandable, we are fans. for whatever reason we seemed to be heavily invested in Ty emotionally.

And then Saturday happened. Development showed up. Ty Thompson looked like a legit college QB.

Ty was Making pre snap reads, progressions, check downs, RPO, corralled bad snaps. 7-8 with a TD. Super encouraging.

Leading up to this game many commented they just want to see development of Ty Thompason. Well thats exactly what we saw. Ty becoming a college football quarterback.

What confuses me is that how some are moving the goal posts on this kid. "It was Portland State, let see him against better competition when the game matters" is a common statement.

For me... I saw exactly what I was hoping to see. Ty has a rocket arm, snipers accuracy and a big body and good legs. And now his mind is starting to catch up. 

I think Ty is our future. Imo TT is going to be a very good college QB. Might even surprise us all and be great.

I really think TT will be ready to start his jr year. With the talent and coaching around him, I believe Ty will win a ton of games. Who know, maybe the B1G title and an NC. Stetson did it, what not Ty.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

Yes and he wants to be here.

• Thumbs Up 1

Novosad looked pretty good for a frosh too.

• Thumbs Up 3

The A-Bomb: Can we relax yet about our backup quarterbacks? No.

We saw some flashes of potential Saturday, but we need to see a lot more.

On its first offensive possession of the season Saturday, Oregon marched down the field and scored on a pass from Bo Nix to his favorite target Troy Franklin. Then, the Ducks did something we haven’t seen in a while, and went for two on a test alignment.

They got it.

It was only 8-0, but the game was already over.

Oregon scored like they were playing a basketball game, and the final of 81-7 was almost kind of…mean?

I’m not totally sure. I am a proud UO alum who bleeds green and yellow, but I got my post-bac degree at Portland State, and I know how much they struggle to push their athletics. I felt a little bad for them.

If nothing else, the preposterous spread allowed Oregon to give Nix a rest and for backup QBs Ty Thompson and Austin Novosad to see some game time.

They did well…very well.

Thompson was 7-for-8 for 81 yards and a touchdown and Novosad was 3-for-3 for 13 yards. Both looked poised and crisp.

But it was against Portland State.

WWW.ADDICTEDTOQUACK.COM

We saw some flashes of potential Saturday, but we need to see a lot more.

• Applause 1

Novosad may challenge TT as starter next year. 

I don't want to be a Debbie Downer here, but as well as TT played in that quarter, I can't help but wonder if he would preform as well if his team wasn't up by 60 points, where there's absolutely no pressure on him. Not saying he hasn't made strides, and that he isn't talented, only saying that perhaps he doesn't do well under pressure? 

Well, as it is, we'll find out. But I wish him all the luck & success he deserves. Good kid, who stuck around because he loves being a Duck!

• Applause 1

On 9/6/2023 at 12:24 PM, Krsmqn said:

Not saying he hasn't made strides, and that he isn't talented, only saying that perhaps he doesn't do well under pressure? 

Well, as it is, we'll find out. But I wish him all the luck & success he deserves.

That's the $Million question for a lot of us.

I don't want to be a Debbie Downer here, but as well as TT played in that quarter, I can't help but wonder if he would preform as well if his team wasn't up by 60 points, where there's absolutely no pressure on him. Not saying he hasn't made strides, and that he isn't talented, only saying that perhaps he doesn't do well under pressure? 

Well, as it is, we'll find out. But I wish him all the luck & success he deserves. Good kid, who stuck around because he loves being a Duck!

V. BYU last year Ducks were up big. Tt was inserted and went 1/2 5 yds 1 int. That was 2nd unit. Then Bo was reinserted.

V. Eastern Washington TT went 5/7 for 63 yards. 

You have a valid point. But TT looked different. He, for the most part, passed the eye test.

Hopefully Ducks can get a sizable lead in the Tech game. Get Ty some reps on an away game with better competition. 

• Great post! 1

Anything is possible with TT.  I agree that improvement was an important step for Ty. It is not about moving the Goal Posts.  It is about seeing him in Action being in command at the QB position.  Leader of the offense making QB 1 Decisions when stepping in as QB 2.  That can happen at anytime and if he is not ready, next man up.

I remember when Dennis Dixon went down, we went through three QB's in four games to end the season. The Arizona game we lost Dixon replaced by Brady Leaf who got injured in the UCLA game replaced by Cody Kempt and Justin Roper.  Roper started the next season  against Washington replaced by Masoli in the first game of the season. That season, Oregon used Roper, Masoli, Chris Harper and Darron Thomas.

Bigger and better teams are on the schedule. The team has strong depth at RB.  There appears to be capable depth at WR and TE.  The OL has good depth that saw action last year, even after losing 4 starters to graduation and eligibility.  The pieces are there for a competent QB to succeed.

Having the right pieces to match the right scheme with the right Coach with the ball bouncing the right way. Auburn vs Oregon in the BCS Championship game. Was he down, to close to call, officiating.  Is this Oregon's year?  I would like to think we have a good chance.  But How often, does all the signs align.  Remember Dennis Dixon, that was the year?  Until, it wasn't.

where there's absolutely no pressure on him.

No pressure on him just because his team is up by 60???

I'd say he had all kinds of pressure. The fans have been talking down on him for two years. If he can't even perform against a team that is down 60 points he is totally done. That's pressure. There are 50,000 people in the stands and over a million more on TV - that's pressure.

If he wasn't feeling any pressure it is because of far superior coaching from Will Stein - which I believe he got.

Certainly after his first run - and hit - TT was looking comfortable. He did well. I think WS will continue to keep him on a good path.

On 9/7/2023 at 12:26 PM, Jon Sousa said:

No pressure on him just because his team is up by 60???

I'd say he had all kinds of pressure. The fans have been talking down on him for two years. If he can't even perform against a team that is down 60 points he is totally done. That's pressure. There are 50,000 people in the stands and over a million more on TV - that's pressure.

If he wasn't feeling any pressure it is because of far superior coaching from Will Stein - which I believe he got.

Certainly after his first run - and hit - TT was looking comfortable. He did well. I think WS will continue to keep him on a good path.

My bad, I meant no pressure to score. I meant he could just go out there and have fun. 

I see your point tho, but we should agree that both points are speculative. Nobody but TT knows what he was feeling. 

However, he did look sharp, and to your point, I also think Will Stein has done a great job. Let's hope we can hold on to him for a bit. 

• Thumbs Up 1