Charles Fischer

Tough Decisions for Wilner and Canzano...and Us?

They still have a while, but Wilner and Canzano have to decide what audience to serve.  While the Pac-12 exists for this year--they are fine.  But I know that I have no interest in reading about the 2024 Pac-12, nor about the two new Mountain West (assuming) teams.  While they are in the Pac-12, sure.  But not later.

How about you?

Kind of makes you wonder what audience they will serve, because it is certainly going to be segmented.  The four who go to the Big-12 make sense for Wilner, since he lives in Arizona.  But is it a big enough market for him?

Canzano is located in Oregon, and I wonder--will he cover the B1G with Oregon in it?  Will he separate his writings for two separate audiences?

giphy.gif

• Let’s hope! 1

Mr. FishDuck

Please have Canzo cover the PAC-2. He already favors OSU. 

Edited by OregonDucks
  • Oh no! 1
  • Haha 2
  • Mic drop 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

An interesting dilemma.  I would expect the state of Oregon to be 70/30 towards the Ducks, but maybe it is 50/50 and Canzano will have to split his time.  However, other than some times talking to a PSU coach, he doesn't bother with lesser universities.  P4 > G6.

On 9/13/2023 at 3:56 PM, OregonDucks said:

Please have Canzo cover the PAC-2. He already favors OSU. 

Make sure to tune into the Pac-2 Conference Champ Game being played next Saturday in Pullman. 

Canzano and Wilner. 2 very good writers being thrown out with the Pac-12 bath water. 

I believe Canzano has said that he will continue for sure to cover Oregon and UW.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/13/2023 at 1:33 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Canzano and Wilner. 2 very good writers being thrown out with the Pac-12 bath water.

Agreed.

I will keep reading both and listening to podcasts until I don't.

• Thumbs Up 1

I feel they will both become regional reporters. Wilner will cover the SW with a heavy focus on the Arizona teams.

Canzano will focus on the PNW and follow the four NW schools.

They will likely do this until it is clear from their followers that change is needed. Unfortunately, for WSU and OSU I don't feel like this will take much time. Those two schools will not garner much national attention in 3-4 years.

On 9/13/2023 at 1:33 PM, Jon Joseph said:

I believe Canzano has said that he will continue for sure to cover Oregon and UW.

I forgot about Washington in the equation. With all of their fans, he actually could do pretty well just covering ducks and huskies with a perspective within the Big Ten.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

I don't suppose either one are near retirement, are they?  🥲

What a way to have your career upset - by the programs you write about taking their ball elsewhere.  Interesting question.

I know Canzano has said he wants to cover anything of interest on his readers. So that's at least both Oregon schools and a mix of anything else.

We'll see what happens. 

I mean even covering the Big 12 isn't that great of an option because it's still the Big 12 minus it's current two biggest brands. Sure there are lots of other schools but the Big 12 is clearly a tier 2 conference. 

Wilner has already said that he is and always has reported on the West Coast teams (west of the Rockies). He said that he only recently took on the PAC 12 name, and that he will be back to reporting on the West.

On 9/13/2023 at 12:51 PM, Charles Fischer said:

They still have a while, but Wilner and Canzano have to decide what audience to serve.  While the Pac-12 exists for this year--they are fine.  But I know that I have no interest in reading about the 2024 Pac-12, nor about the two new Mountain West (assuming) teams.  While they are in the Pac-12, sure.  But not later.

How about you?

Kind of makes you wonder what audience they will serve, because it is certainly going to be segmented.  The four who go to the Big-12 make sense for Wilner, since he lives in Arizona.  But is it a big enough market for him?

Canzano is located in Oregon, and I wonder--will he cover the B1G with Oregon in it?  Will he separate his writings for two separate audiences?

giphy.gif

I don't see much changing, they'll just drop the conference affiliation and cover the Big Ten more, but they'll still remain left coast centric. 

Edited by Darren Perkins

On 9/13/2023 at 5:43 PM, Jon Sousa said:

Wilner has already said that he is and always has reported on the West Coast teams (west of the Rockies). He said that he only recently took on the PAC 12 name, and that he will be back to reporting on the West.

On 9/14/2023 at 6:54 AM, Darren Perkins said:

I don't see much changing, they'll just drop the conference affiliation and cover the Big Ten more, but they'll still remain left coast centric. 

Wilner and Canzano can do that, but again--not so easy.  I do not care about the new Pac-12 after this year, nor do I care about the teams that went to the Big-12 or ACC.  Do I read blogs that cover those leagues now?  

No.

My point is that the west coast is now highly segmented with the teams in a former conference will now be split among four conferences, and I personally am not going to keep up any of them beyond the B1G next year.  If Wilner and Canzano put out half their content about OSU in whatever conference they are in?  Who cares?  Ditto for Utah/Colorado/ASU/UA, and ditto for Stanford/Cal. 

If half their content is about those schools--they will lose subscribers such as I.  As it is now--I filter out Blazer articles, and at least half the OSU articles.  Not an easy choice for all parties...

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 9/14/2023 at 8:04 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Wilner and Canzano can do that, but again--not so easy.  I do not care about the new Pac-12 after this year, nor do I care about the teams that went to the Big-12 or ACC.  Do I read blogs that cover those leagues now?  

No.

My point is that the west coast is now highly segmented with the teams in a former conference will now be split among four conferences, and I personally am not going to keep up any of them beyond the B1G next year.  If Wilner and Canzano put out half their content about OSU in whatever conference they are in?  Who cares?  Ditto for Utah/Colorado/ASU/UA, and ditto for Stanford/Cal. 

If half their content is about those schools--they will lose subscribers such as I.  As it is now--I filter out Blazer articles, and at least half the OSU articles.  Not an easy choice for all parties...

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out. They'll lose some folks for sure, but no doubt will add some from traditional Big 10 country. Actually, could really be a jackpot for Canzano if he plays to those fans. 

On 9/13/2023 at 8:00 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I forgot about Washington in the equation. With all of their fans, he actually could do pretty well just covering ducks and huskies with a perspective within the Big Ten.

That's OK, Charles. A whole lot of recruits have also forgotten about That School Up North. 😁

On 9/14/2023 at 9:00 AM, Darren Perkins said:

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out. They'll lose some folks for sure, but no doubt will add some from traditional Big 10 country. Actually, could really be a jackpot for Canzano if he plays to those fans. 

Bingo.  Focus on Oregon, Washington, and the B1G, and those writers will attract HUGE B1G audiences.

But THAT is probably out of their comfort zone, however it would be the most likely way to prosper as an independent.

But WOULD Canzano dump the Beavers to write about Oregon’s B1G opponents, of which would then be interesting to Duck fans?

This is a new form of journalism, with a big cross-road in it already for these two writers, and that’s why I find it’s so interesting.

Mr. FishDuck

For awhile I got sucked into Canzano and his very calculated clickbait methodology. But I came to the conclusion he cares not one iota about anything he writes about.  He cares about clicks (all fine as he needs to make a living).  So I find him to be an inescapably insincere public figure and thus don't read him anymore.

I felt that way for a long time, and even wrote disparaging articles about him...

What Not to Do at That Time...

FISHDUCK.COM

How John Canzano inspired FishDuck (Charles Fischer) to make the fan site, FishDuck.com a santuary for Oregon fans from the cesspool of the usual sports media.

Mr. FishDuck

On 9/14/2023 at 9:45 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Bingo.  Focus on Oregon, Washington, and the B1G, and those writers will attract HUGE B1G audiences.

But THAT is probably out of their comfort zone, however it would be the most likely way to prosper as an independent.

But WOULD Canzano dump the Beavers to write about Oregon’s B1G opponents, of which would then be interesting to Duck fans?

This is a new form of journalism, with a big cross-road in it already for these two writers, and that’s why I find it’s so interesting.

oh yeah, he'll still cover the Beavs, I don't think he'll forsake any "local" teams. He could increase his output to cover everything, of course if that ovewhelms him...... he could hire us as contributors!  Bingo!