FishDuck Article

It Should Be Bombs Away for the Ducks

Admittedly, I am no maestro of the X’s and O’s. I have a good general knowledge of plays and formations but I will not be breaking down any offensive schemes here on FishDuck.com anytime soon. So, I go with my gut, and it just felt like the Ducks were being a little too “cute” on offense at Texas Tech. Far ...

FISHDUCK.COM

Darren Perkins of FishDuck.com shares his current observations on the Ducks, the Pac-12, and college football.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Darren thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts on a few subjects.

As a fan the excitement from a perfectly placed Bird Bomb for a TD is such a great part of watching the game. Would love to see more of that this weekend.

You are spot on that going vertical stretches the defense and opens up the ground game.

I didn't mind the horizontal, dink and dunk plays against TT. The Red Raiders front 7 were physical and brutal against the run.

In the Ducks first series, Bucky was getting some yards, however the 2nd level hits were violent. The running bscks were going to pay a price for every yard. Eventually, it was difficult to even get a few yards.

At one point, Stein called 3 straight run plays to gain 1 yard. It didnt work. Sending a lone bsck into a 8 in the box front brings back bad memories of MC and even Chip.

Grateful that Stein shifted gears and hit passes to the running backs in space. It was easier on the RB's who caught 15 passes for over 140 yards.

Smart move and in game adjustment. The Ducks need balance on offense. They have the talent for quick strikes. And the talent to grind out long, rime consuming drives to keep the D fresh.

The best D will be to keep Williams, Penix, Sanders and others on the sidelines watching.

Though the game was not competitive, PSU needed the money. The Duck game and Wyoming games brought almost a million dollars to an athletic department that barely raises $15 million annually.

I wish there was a better answer but FCS teams need the money......

As for Tucker, when the investigation is completed, i will just shake my head and be disappointed.

I taught my 5 sons to be respecful with girls (women) and be gentlemen. I asked them how would they want their friends to treat their 3 sisters on a date? (Thankfully, my girls were smart enough not to date any of those boneheads).

Men should akways be courteous, respectful and selfless around girls. If you want a 2nd date then make the 1st date fun for her.

How so many men misread the room with women just baffles me.

Go Ducks....Sarurday will be a great day fo go 3-0 and get ready for a nationally TV game when the high flying circus comes to town.

Blow out the Rainbows early so the backup QB's get more real time game reps. Meaningful game reps.

• Applause 1

I always love your style Darren, although your suggested strategy could have gone really well, or been a disaster.  The game plan was to wear down the big Red Raider defensive line with the side-to-side toss plays and flare passes.  They got first downs and were very effective.

If we did not connect on those Bird-Bombs, then we turn the ball over more often, and give TT more possessions, chances to score and win.  Perhaps part of the game plan was to NOT let that tough offense be on the field as much?  It's a thought...

Stein likes to throw long--more than prior coordinators, but I also sense that our receivers are still learning how to catch the long-ball in game time situations.  With seven dropped balls, and two that were bombs--it is apparent to me that we will get better, but not good enough yet to make a game-plan of it, IMHO.

Fun article, and great ponder-points Darren, thanks.

A Touchdown slips through Tez's fingers...

Bird Bomb Dropped_Screenshot from Fox Sports Video.jpg

• Go Ducks! 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 9/14/2023 at 7:25 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

At one point, Stein called 3 straight run plays to gain 1 yard. It didn't work. Sending a lone back into a 8 in the box front brings back bad memories of MC and even Chip.

Grateful that Stein shifted gears and hit passes to the running backs in space. It was easier on the RB's who caught 15 passes for over 140 yards.

Smart move and in game adjustment.

I don't think enough credit is given to Stein for making adjustments, whatever it takes to win the game.  We did not see that on offense with Mario, and it is refreshing.  Stein had a terrible, injury-ridden offensive line last year, and yet was scoring a boatload with UTSA.  He has a very high upside here as he learns the talents and adjusts to this level of game.

What was our average last year with Dilly?  38 points a game.  How many did we score in this game?  38. Now granted, the last TD was on defense, but last year's average was based on defensive TDs as well.

We won in a very tough environment, and thus GREAT preparation for going to Seattle and Salt Lake City later.  What I saw was a raw team with a ton of upside left, and Lanning pretty much said the same in the locker room afterward.

Dan Lanning_Screenshot from GoDucks.com Video.jpg

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

Very true, I knew I'd get some pushback, but that 3rd and short late in the game where the ducks pitched to the short side of the field and got stuffed has stuck with me all week. Argh!

Looking for some fine tuning this week against the Rainbows.... I was at that '94 game 🤮. 1-2 start, fire Brooks! 😃

• Applause 1

On 9/14/2023 at 7:25 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Darren thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts on a few subjects.

As a fan the excitement from a perfectly placed Bird Bomb for a TD is such a great part of watching the game. Would love to see more of that this weekend.

You are spot on that going vertical stretches the defense and opens up the ground game.

I didn't mind the horizontal, dink and dunk plays against TT. The Red Raiders front 7 were physical and brutal against the run.

In the Ducks first series, Bucky was getting some yards, however the 2nd level hits were violent. The running bscks were going to pay a price for every yard. Eventually, it was difficult to even get a few yards.

At one point, Stein called 3 straight run plays to gain 1 yard. It didnt work. Sending a lone bsck into a 8 in the box front brings back bad memories of MC and even Chip.

Smart move and in game adjustment. The Ducks need balance on offense. They have the talent for quick strikes. And the talent to grind out long, rime consuming drives to keep the D fresh.

The best D will be to keep Williams, Penix, Sanders and others on the sidelines watching.

Though the game was not competitive, PSU needed the money. The Duck game and Wyoming games brought almost a million dollars to an athletic department that barely raises $15 million annually.

I wish there was a better answer but FCS teams need the money......

As for Tucker, when the investigation is completed, i will just shake my head and be disappointed.

I taught my 5 sons to be respecful with girls (women) and be gentlemen. I asked them how would they want their friends to treat their 3 sisters on a date? (Thankfully, my girls were smart enough not to date any of those boneheads).

Men should akways be courteous, respectful and selfless around girls. If you want a 2nd date then make the 1st date fun for her.

How so many men misread the room with women just baffles me.

Go Ducks....Sarurday will be a great day fo go 3-0 and get ready for a nationally TV game when the high flying circus comes to town.

Blow out the Rainbows early so the backup QB's get more real time game reps. Meaningful game reps.

Just thinking out loud, but in a perfect world, once top power schools break away from other sports, the Portland States' of the world can serve as a farm system where the late bloomers who weren't recruited could develop, then transfer to the top league. 

And the top league kicks down some cash to the developmental league. Like I said, just brainstorming. 

• Thanks 1

Agree about PSU, but against TT I was pleased the Ducks took what they were given, but a little concerned when they tried what wasn't there over and over.

What I would like to see is the Ducks to continue to take what is given, like the sideline pass against TT. This is smart football, exploit the defensive alignment on the field. 

I would also like to see what you are implying, use a weapon few teams can match up against, our receivers, and their ability to go deep. With this they will have to keep the safeties deep and the run game opens up. This is all about dictating the game, something we need to do more of.

The other item I don't want to see is repeated runs for no gain. Maybe we need an analysis about why we had so many runs with no gain, sometimes consecutively. This development caused me a little PTSD, or as I like to call it PTMD, post tramatic MariØ disorder.

We need to see more horizontal passing, and a more effective running game. Both seem to be complementary, and the horizontal passing attack may help create that stronger running game, and help me with my PTMD.

• Haha 1

I wholeheartedly agree with Darren: bombs away tomorrow.  Not only do the Ducks have Troy Franklin but (not to belabor the point) they have another well-seasoned WR, smaller but swift, in Tez Johnson.  If Hawaii tries to double-team Franklin the Ducks should be sending Johnson deep on the other side of the field.  Nix will find one or the other and nothing stretches a field like wide-open WR's on both sides of the field.  Go Ducks!

Edited by Mic

On 9/14/2023 at 8:37 AM, Haywarduck said:

Agree about PSU, but against TT I was pleased the Ducks took what they were given, but a little concerned when they tried what wasn't there over and over.

What I would like to see is the Ducks to continue to take what is given, like the sideline pass against TT. This is smart football, exploit the defensive alignment on the field. 

I would also like to see what you are implying, use a weapon few teams can match up against, our receivers, and their ability to go deep. With this they will have to keep the safeties deep and the run game opens up. This is all about dictating the game, something we need to do more of.

The other item I don't want to see is repeated runs for no gain. Maybe we need an analysis about why we had so many runs with no gain, sometimes consecutively. This development caused me a little PTSD, or as I like to call it PTMD, post tramatic MariØ disorder.

We need to see more horizontal passing, and a more effective running game. Both seem to be complementary, and the horizontal passing attack may help create that stronger running game, and help me with my PTMD.

Yeah, I mentioned on a reply to Charles that the run the Ducks were stuffed on late in game to the short side of the field on 3rd and short really, really bothered me. 

And of course I'm not saying eliminate horizontal/lateral play, it is crucial, but seemed to over use it. 

Also, part it could be my subconscious wanting the Ducks to have more big plays after watching the Fuskies with Penix throwing lasers all over the field. Man, that guy can pass. Gotta outdo those guys! 

• Haha 1

On 9/14/2023 at 8:39 AM, Mic said:

I wholeheartedly agree with Darren: bombs away tomorrow.  Not only do the Ducks have Troy Franklin but (not to belabor the point) they have another well-seasoned WR, smaller but swift, in Tez Johnson.  If Hawaii tries to double-team Franklin the Ducks should be sending Johnson deep on the other side of the field.  Nix will find one or the other and nothing stretches a field like wide-open WR's on both sides of the field.  Go Ducks!

Yup, we should be able to simply out talent (i.e. speed) Hawaii and let our fast guys run loose. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/14/2023 at 8:29 AM, Darren Perkins said:

Very true, I knew I'd get some pushback, but that 3rd and short late in the game where the ducks pitched to the short side of the field and got stuffed has stuck with me all week. Argh!

I wouldn’t call it pushback so much, as simply polite disagreement. With all that you have written, and entertained us with over the years, Darren, I can’t help but smile, when writing, even when disagreeing with you!

I do think you are going to see a lot more Bird-Bombs in the future, and we are going to get better at throwing them and catching them.

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 9/14/2023 at 9:32 AM, Charles Fischer said:

I do think you are going to see a lot more Bird-Bombs in the future, and we are going to get better at throwing them and catching them.

Early in his tenure here, Stein said that he likes to go deep twice a quarter. Though 2 (no more, no less) is not a hard and fast rule, we've come real close to seeing that through 2 games. 8 deep shots in a game is more than the average bear puts up. (Yogi reference)

1st and 10 and 2nd and short are the most likely times to see such shots.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/14/2023 at 9:51 AM, Jon Sousa said:

Early in his tenure here, Stein said that he likes to go deep twice a quarter. Though 2 (no more, no less) is not a hard and fast rule, we've come real close to seeing that through 2 games. 8 deep shots in a game is more than the average bear puts up. (Yogi reference)

Although... one might make the observation that Hawaii is a team that also likes the deep pass and so their defense at practice has probably seen it more often than some other schools.  Perkins is right I think; it will come down to more talent, more speed on the O side of the field.

• Thumbs Up 1

Use our WR's's as decoy for hitting TE's all alone between backers and secondary. That will give our WR's more advantage going deep.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/14/2023 at 11:34 AM, Darren Perkins said:

Just thinking out loud, but in a perfect world, once top power schools break away from other sports, the Portland States' of the world can serve as a farm system where the late bloomers who weren't recruited could develop, then transfer to the top league. 

And the top league kicks down some cash to the developmental league. Like I said, just brainstorming. 

Or, with the playoff possibly going to 16 teams in 2026, why not play an FCS school as Game 1 of the season in the Spring Game?

Then, every P4/G5 school plays Game 2 on what is now Week 0. The little guy gets paid and with 1 idle week, the playoff does not have to run into the middle of January.

Thank you, Darren.

And thank you, Charles, for coming with the Bird Bombs take. But a bird in the hand ... You simply do not want to be all the way with Bird Bombs Away!

Let's Go For 2! Does anyone else recall kicking an extra point not being an option in Lincoln, Nebraska? The 2 points put up against TT was a lucky, lucky, lucky, conversion. 

I certainly respect coach Timmy Chang who took Hawaii to the Sugar Bowl when he was playing QB for the Warriors. But Hawaii comes in with a one-trick throw the ball O and an L versus Stanford in Honolulu. I see this as a 'get well' game and not a 'trap game' before Prime comes to town.

Aloha! It will be 'hello' Hawaii followed by an emphatic, 'goodbye!' 

• Thumbs Up 1

Moving the football by connecting on the long pass is always exciting. Many pass plays have routes that send at least one receiver downfield to “ stretch” the field. Since the deep receiver occupies DBs, other receivers have more space in which to work. 

Some defensive play calls allow a QB the time to throw downfield, and some don’t. Nix is a dangerous QB because he is smart, an accurate passer, and a real threat to run on a broken pass play.

Short, or long passes? I say allow him to take what the defense gives, and just score points. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm with Charles that I don't think we could have gotten away with any more low percentage deep pass plays than we did.

Because of penalties and ineffective runs we were behind the stick bad for most of the game making it too risky to spend a down on a high risk play.

Without being behind the sticks so much in future games it will make more sense to throw deep ball more often.

Edited by Solar
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/14/2023 at 8:52 AM, Darren Perkins said:

Yup, we should be able to simply out talent (i.e. speed) Hawaii and let our fast guys run loose. 

I hope that the offense can really work on the run game against Hawaii. The big guys up front should dominate Hawaii’s front 7. Pound Hawaii into submission and then do the same to Colorado!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/14/2023 at 10:12 AM, Duckhart said:

Use our WR's as decoy for hitting TE's all alone between backers and secondary. That will give our WR's more advantage going deep.

I've been saying it from the beginning about the Stein offense; power plays and pulling to get good running yardage. The running threat pulls defenders in the box which then leaves one-on-one matchups on the perimeter, thus throw long.  Then, the medium range drag routes are open all day.

Technically....just throwing the Bird-Bombs achieves this with even just completing one every game.  The threat opens it all up...

Tez scored on a nice wheel route due to vacated DBs

who went deeper...

Many more to come': Tez Johnson scores first touchdown for Oregon football  - oregonlive.com

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Bird- bombs?

Why not Bo- bombs!

Those passes, when caught, look so effortless. But seeing two outstanding receivers, Troy and Tez, each have one slip through their hands, was a reminder of just how difficult catching those missiles can be.

High risk and reward. 

I'm sure we will see plenty as the season progresses.

I too think this was more like our first game. Their O-line and especially their D front 7 were vastly improved over PSU. 

Thus our run game lacked its usual pzaz.

A question for our OBD group, does utilizing so many RB's so often, effect their game flow vision? 

After rewatching the game, I thought our D line did very well. We often only rushed 3 and still brought pressure. We did lose containment a few times, but mostly early on, and I don't think we expected TS to run so much. I'm encouraged going forward.

Lastly, I hope our young men can learn from the sad story of coach Tucker. No one is immune from temptation, so it's up to each individual to stay strong and be of sound character. 

Now, bring on the Warriors!

• Thumbs Up 2

Don't forget QB runs (or lack thereof). Nix didn't run at all for the first three quarters and I believe that contributed to the offense sputtering in the second and third quarters. When he pulled the ball and ran a few times in the fourth the offense started moving again.

• Thumbs Up 2

It's occasionally fun to ponder play calls after a game, especially the early games.

Were the plays because of the opponent, and what the opponent had shown in earlier games?  Were plays called as in-game adjustments?  Were players injured?  Was the lack of confidence in a play/player due to practice that week?  Were coaches trying to limit scheme they have shown so as not to tip off a future opponent?   And, so on.

Sometimes there are reasons 3 straight dives into the middle of the line may not be as bonehead as it appears.

Likewise, sometimes an opponent defense just comes with a game plan that was not prepared for, or their talent was underestimated.

Happy I don't have to make decisions and have players execute them for me within a 40 or 25 second playclock.  Or, lock in a play only to see one my linemen false start which changes my whole down and distance calculation.

• Thumbs Up 2