Charles Fischer

Oregon Has an INSANE Backup Quarterback...

I know...I got whiplash reading that title as well.  But watch the first three minutes of this video and then tell me what you think?  Have I and others been too harsh?

• Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

I don't think so Charles.  Ty Thompson came into Oregon soooo highly rated - the highest in Oregon history.  Everyone was high on this young man.  If anything, maybe a bit too high and maybe there was too much pressure.  But he's had several years to gel and get better.  He's getting outstanding coaching. He's playing behind some really good QB's and he's been given every opportunity at Oregon to succeed.  

At some point he has to show the coaches he's ready and can get the job done.  Last year, when Oregon really needed him in the Washington game he wasn't ready.  That game was in Autzen, the crowd was there behind him the team was there behind him.  It was such a disappointment that he just couldn't step up and help his team to win that crucial game.  \\

We all want him to succeed.  Oregon has a lot of time and effort invested in him.  I'll give him this: he's been loyal and remained a Duck, disdaining the Transfer Portal.  For that I'll give him the benefit of the doubt just a little longer.  But sincerely, the Novasad kid is looking like he might be able to steal the starting role away from Ty if Ty doesn't take the bull by the horns and ride it to the whistle.

Go Ducks!

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'll say that Ty is looking much more comfortable this year than he has ever looked. He still has flashes of that robotic, deer in the headlights look we saw last year. But once he is settled down he looks like he is getting into a decent rhythm.

I do think he needs to take command of the offense when he is given his opportunity and make it his. But Austin Novosad looks good and is learning fast. I was at the Hawaii game and he has some serious zip on his balls during warm up. I fully expect him to make a serious run at the starting job next year.

Edited by Babyjesus615
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

I really like what I am seeing and there has been a ton of growth.

And, hopefully he has another year of growth before we need to see what he has.

• Let’s hope! 1

I would think it’s almost unheard of for a high school quarterback to attain the level of attention Ty did purely on physically gifts without some indication that he could focus those attributes and lead a team as should be expected of an elite level recruit. It simply comes with the desire to play the position, right?

However, for the majority of his Duck career, that is exactly what appears to have happened.  Until this year.

I don’t know where else to turn except Will Stein for the apparent turnaround in his focus, performance and confidence. It’s almost like he just needed someone to tell him you can do this - to believe in him.

If Stein sticks around next year, the guy might just be right.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/19/2023 at 12:02 AM, Washington Waddler said:

I don’t know where else to turn except Will Stein for the apparent turnaround in his focus, performance and confidence. It’s almost like he just needed someone to tell him you can do this - to believe in him.

I agree.  It’s important to mentor high school talent.  The last coaching regime failed to mentor, exude confidence and growth in our QBs.

T. Thompson is the prime example of this.  They failed him.  Dan Lanning and coaching staff did not give up on him.  

I said this before, I firmly believe coach Stein is what TT needed.  Our QB room just got better because of it.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The "growth" I've seen in this kid in six months is encouraging.  If TT beats out Novosad that will be highly encouraging.  It would mean we're have two outstanding Qbs.

I've seen comfort I've never observed out of him this fall.  He's more decisive, throws with much more authority, and he is making better decisions.

He did show progress in the second half of the Spring game, but that first half was so awful I believe everyone was ready to move on. 

I want to see him when guys are in his face-and he has to make the correct decision.  It's easy when guys are open.  Now we need to see if he can throw guys open, run through his progressions under duress and pull that trigger accurately.  

We actually need him now.  Nothing like having a capable backup.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ty is a tough read. Atleast least in the early part of this season. Previous years it was clear his struggles were in the mental game. Dude has an impressive set of physical talent, that has never been in question.

This year it seems Ty has been poised, but as Mike said, he hasn't been pressed. It will be interesting to see how he responds when it tightens up around him.

It is easy to forget that these are 17 and 18 year olds when they show up on campus freshman year. Some come ready, are battle hardened for differnt reasons and as a result have matured.

Some need time. Maturity levels vary widely with young men. Especialy when put under pressure.  

If Ty has finally come to that place where he can handle the intense pressure that comes with being a college QB at a big league progr'm like Oregon. A few people deserve some credit.

First and foremost, Ty deserves the lyons share. Dude has never wavered from being an Oregon Duck. Things weren't going well, there has been a barrage of outside noise from media and fans. Ty pushed through that and soldered on. That in itself takes maturity and grit.

The last two QB coaches should get some acknowledgement as well. As should Dan Lanning. Lanning more than Dilly or Stein.

But aside from Ty himself, I think Nix has been a huge diffence maker for Ty. We laud Nix for his on feild performance. But Nix is a different Dude with a ton of experiences. Bo has seen it all.

Bo is a peer. An equal on paper. Ty's turn around correlates with the arrival of Bo nix. A peer can reach places authority cannot. Nix is the type that will set aside self and lift another man up. Bo is much more than just a quarterback.

I have new hope Ty will become the next great Duck QB. He has persevered to this point when many would have bounced. Respect. 

I hope he continues to take the next step up. And when he can't,  just take a page out of Buckys playbook and fall forward.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

On 9/19/2023 at 3:12 AM, Mike West said:

We actually need him now.  Nothing like having a capable backup.

Absolutely.  We all remember last year's game with UW and what happened then.  

• Applause 1

On 9/19/2023 at 3:12 AM, Mike West said:

I've seen comfort I've never observed out of him this fall.  He's more decisive, throws with much more authority, and he is making better decisions.

That, and I was highly impressed with many of those throws in the first three minutes of that video. He can ropes-on-a-line, and he can throw sweet lofters that drop into the receiver...as a high schooler.  The talent is there.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

The difficult thing about sports, is you need game experience to really improve.

Especially D1 qb's. They need game reps to learn how to read defenses. Being the #2 QB, it's virtually impossible to get that needed game experience. 

All TT can do is keep practicing hard, and be ready when his opportunity comes. He definitely has the physical tools.

I hope his loyalty is rewarded. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 9/18/2023 at 10:43 PM, Mic said:

I don't think so Charles.  Ty Thompson came into Oregon soooo highly rated - the highest in Oregon history.  Everyone was high on this young man.  If anything, maybe a bit too high and maybe there was too much pressure.  But he's had several years to gel and get better.  He's getting outstanding coaching. He's playing behind some really good QB's and he's been given every opportunity at Oregon to succeed.  

At some point he has to show the coaches he's ready and can get the job done.  Last year, when Oregon really needed him in the Washington game he wasn't ready.  That game was in Autzen, the crowd was there behind him the team was there behind him.  It was such a disappointment that he just couldn't step up and help his team to win that crucial game.  \\

We all want him to succeed.  Oregon has a lot of time and effort invested in him.  I'll give him this: he's been loyal and remained a Duck, disdaining the Transfer Portal.  For that I'll give him the benefit of the doubt just a little longer.  But sincerely, the Novasad kid is looking like he might be able to steal the starting role away from Ty if Ty doesn't take the bull by the horns and ride it to the whistle.

Go Ducks!

Ty will be getting a B1G opportunity next season.

• Haha 1

Ty has looked good in relief. With the limit on practice time, there are only so many practice reps available for the backup QB.

On 9/19/2023 at 10:37 AM, Mic said:

Absolutely.  We all remember last year's game with UW and what happened then.  

Mic, I think that was as much on the HC as it was on Ty. Bad call at a bad time. Punt!

On 9/19/2023 at 2:59 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Mic, I think that was as much on the HC as it was on Ty

Should have called a dang timeout! Let Bo back in for the short yardage play. Watching him jump up and down on the sidelines next to Lanning wanting to go back in was more painful than his injury!

• Applause 1

Thanks for the video and posing the question. I watched the video very carefully, especially the first three minutes. I didn't count, but many of the passes during practice looked like floaters to me. The receivers often had to hold up or turn and catch the ball behind them instead of on the fly. These throws are without defenders on the field. I'm afraid many of these would be picked off. Yes, some of those high school throws are impressive, but that's HS and I'm assuming those are cherry picked highlights.

I am cheering hard for Ty. I love his loyalty and dedication. I have seen improvement this year over the past couple years, but I'm afraid he still has a long way to go. I hope Nix stays healthy, I wouldn't want the Ducks to have to depend on Ty.

Edited by Chris OLeary

I know it’s easy to pile on the guys that left Oregon, but Joe Moorehead didn’t do anything to develop our QB’s while he was here. One only needs to see the vast improvement in Tyler Shough at Tech and AB during the Ravens pre-season to figure that out.

Dilly was great, but his focus was on Nix because they had rapport from a few years earlier. 

The bottom line is TT13 has had 3 OC/QBC’s in 3 years. He seems more comfortable under Stein. Hopefully he sticks around for a minute or two.

Edited by DrJacksPlaidPants
  • Thumbs Up 2

The kid is loyal, he is improving, I give him all the credit in the world.

I would say it is a combination of Lanning and Stein which has done the trick.

I also think when somebody has a goal and works toward it, nothing is impossible, Go Ty!