FishDuck Article

Do Oregon Fans ‘GET’ How Special the 2023 Team Is?

A high percentage of Oregon fans and media sources outside the state do not truly understand how special and unique this 2023 team is in terms of experience. Nothing beats playing time and experience, as that can often be the difference at key moments in games. The savvy players make smart plays, while the newbies still have to learn the ...

FISHDUCK.COM

A high percentage of Oregon fans and media sources outside the state do not truly understand how special and unique this 2023 team is in...
  • Go Ducks! 2
  • Wow 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Indeed this is an experienced group of talented players who have the opportunity to bring a Natty to Eugene. Charles, another great topic to ponder.....

The potential for a special season started once Bo (the QB with the most QB starts ever) announced his return and DL started recruiting and bringing in key players thru the portal to continue getting his guys.

Charles when we talked a few times in the off season, you had a feeling this could be the year for something special.

This squad is filled with smart, experienced players with NFL potential. Unfortuneately, many will be completing their college eligibility as you showed in your list. DANG IT!

Hopefully, those still with eligibility and NFL potential will learn from Bo's decision to return. He has moved from a  projected 3rd rounder to the first round. He made a wise choice and earned himself millions of dollars. Others like Dorlus, for example, stayed, played and has improved his NFL stock......

There is a big difference in being a 21 year old with NFL potential and a 22 year who is NFL ready.

College is a game of Big Boy Football. The NFL a game played by men working for a living........

Choose wisely young Ducks. Perhaps the NIL Collective, Kendall Auto Group or Lithia Motors can gift the Duck starters brand new trucks. The Ute starters were gifted brand new Dodge Ram Trucks.

In this new world of NIL and the portal, championships will be built around Coaches who can recruit at a high level, utilize the portal and develope the talent.

Keeping that developing talent thru 4 years of growth will take saavy boosters or collectives that understand what 20 year olds want.

In the meantime I will enjoy this 2023 squad. We will know just how special this team is very, very soon.

GO DUCKS.....

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Perhaps many fans don't/can't fully appreciate starting the 23' season 5-0. Oregon has a ton of Eeyore fans. Glass is always half empty with these fans. Most fan bases have these fans.

I think most fans of Oregon are starting to see something special brewing out of Eugene. Some here on OBDF saw it before the season started. A win next Saturday will bring a ton more into that realization. 

What gives optimism is the way they have won these first 5 games. Although the competition hasn't been daunting, Ducks have dominated their opponents when the regular rotation has been on the field. As I said before, it's how it looks, eyes don't lie.

It's important to me to stay in the season we are in. This is not close to the same team from 22'. Especially on defense and the Oline. Nor in the WR room for that matter. 

How Lanning flipped the defense from what was last year to this years performance is astonishing. I don't know the final ranking of the 22' D, I do remember at one point they were around 110th in total D. Right now they sit around 7th.

2024 will take care of itself. It will get here soon enough. When it does, we have reason to believe Lanning will have a very talented team in the national conversation.

This coming week is going to be especially fun. Lead up to big games like the one in front of Oregon don't come around often.

This is the first game in 100+ years of this much hated rival with the magnitude of this one. Never has this rivalry game had national implications as this one will.

And the lead up is the funnest part. So for me, I am going to enjoy this week. Stay in the moment and soak in a first time experience (for both fan bases). 

Yep, this is special In so many ways. Go Ducks!!!

HUCK THE FUSKIES!!! 

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

As a Duck homer I always think the Ducks will win and be undefeated. I am grateful Fishduck allows me to have some objective depth to my feelings.

I will say what is exciting is there is potential. I say that because there is still that unexplainable element which makes the truly great teams, just that.

I agree with all that has been pointed out. The wholes have been filled and there is depth. The team is loaded with experience and quite a bit of NFL talent.

A couple parts we don't know yet is just how savvy Lanning will be on the sideline when the game defining decision has to be made, but there is potential. We also don't know how this team will react when that last ounce of effort, and the precise execution of a play is needed, but there is potential.

I suppose we could all just go to some far away surf spot and forget about watching because we know what is going to happen, nah. Lets cherish this season, and appreciate this forum with decorum where we can enjoy the outcomes, even if they defy what we all know is going to happen!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

I feel that this is indeed a special season and I'm glad this article points that out. I also think that this season has been and will continue to be a golden advertisement to any and all elite SEC players wanting to portal to a different school. Former five star players not having the career they hoped for only need to look at Bo Nix to see what can happen at UO. Also great players that happen to be stuck behind other great players in the rotation can look at guys like Khyree Jackson and see what becoming a Duck can look like.

I think after next year, Lanning's recruiting classes will have stocked the cupboards full enough that mass portal renovations won't be necessary.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 10/7/2023 at 7:39 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

I feel that this is indeed a special season and I'm glad this article points that out. I also think that this season has been and will continue to be a golden advertisement to any and all elite SEC players wanting to portal to a different school. Former five star players not having the career they hoped for only need to look at Bo Nix to see what can happen at UO. Also great players that happen to be stuck behind other great players in the rotation can look at guys like Khyree Jackson and see what becoming a Duck can look like.

I think after next year, Lanning's recruiting classes will have stocked the cupboards full enough that mass portal renovations won't be necessary.

Great point, and the formula with our DB's, and edge rushers is one I think we will see repeated. 

If we need more depth, or performance at a position, bring in talented youth and experience and let them compete. I am sure not all seasons will be like the last, or next, but Lanning knows what he wants, and that is, fortunately in line with what the Oregon Faithful expect.

The big thing which hasn't been pointed out is, and fingers still crossed, we don't have big, or even small discipline problems in this program. We have brought in some potential problem players and they have embraced the culture here at Oregon.

Lanning's quiet strength of character is infectious. I am sure there will be an event, actually there was one mistaken event, and he will deal with it swiftly and keep the high expectations. 

Most importantly he is, again, building men of character. This, along with a season to remember, is the most important thing he can do!

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

On 10/7/2023 at 7:16 AM, Log Haulin said:

Oregon has a ton of Eeyore fans. Glass is always half empty with these fans.

Amen my Duck-Brother.  I had many Oregon fans join the forum last year just to vent their frustration on us!  They were not here in the off-season discussing the new coach and staff, and were not here during the wins.  

Nope, they simply wanted to join to complain, and I ended up banning a couple of real Duck fans over their excessive over-the-top negative. You may recall that brought the image below into posts often for those types of fans.

Eeyore_From YouTube.jpg

Oh my....the program is going to the crapper, so I guess I'll go there too.

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/7/2023 at 8:03 AM, Haywarduck said:

The big thing which hasn't been pointed out is, and fingers still crossed, we don't have big, or even small discipline problems in this program.

This is a really, really good point.  I used to fear the off-season!  How he can be both caring and connected with the players, and yet tough on discipline--whew!  It is hard enough with children, but with adults in a high testosterone environment?  I always thought about the difficulty of that...

• Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

Thanks for pointing this out and providing  support for the premise so easy to understand.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yup, this is the year, one to savor one drop at a time, because these stars will not align again this way for quite a while.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thank you, Charles, for this very informative take. A ton of experience that will and will possibly move on. Including Bo, a guy with the most starts at QB in CFB.

But today we have the Portal. I expect with DL's expertise at portal picking and with Division Street coming with NIL money that many of the open spots will be filled by guys with playing experience.

It will also help in 2024 that the Ducks play 8 games in the friendly confines of Autzen and that Oregon will have 4 OOC games before B1G play starts including B1G games vs. Ohio State and games at Michigan and Wisconsin.

It has been a great 5 twelfths of the season so far but next Saturday the rubber starts to meet the road. The next 7 games will be as tough a row to hoe, plus the champ game if the Ducks get there, as for any team in CFB. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Like Joey Harrington said, we'll know a lot more about this team after the Washington game.  This team certainly has the talent and experience to compete for a National Championship, including an experienced and Heisman candidate QB.

I respectfully disagree with some of the juniors you listed with NFL potential.  Tweeners have not done well in the NFL with some notable exceptions.  Even LMJ or DAT, as talented as they were, didn't find much success at the next level.  Hopefully some of those juniors come back, enjoy the college experience and get degrees/NIL.

It'll be interesting to see what Lanning and staff decide to do with the transfer portal next year.

On 10/7/2023 at 11:21 AM, OregonDucks said:

I respectfully disagree with some of the juniors you listed with NFL potential. 

Understood.  I was not projecting them, but I could see a few going with NFL agents in their ear, even if they are not NFL talent yet.  We have seen that often...

Perhaps with NIL...many will return to add to their value, as Bo did.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/7/2023 at 7:39 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

Not just to come here for playing time, but for real development. 

Oregon has the coaches to get that kid to the next level.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/7/2023 at 11:21 AM, OregonDucks said:

Like Joey Harrington said, we'll know a lot more about this team after the Washington game.  This team certainly has the talent and experience to compete for a National Championship, including an experienced and Heisman candidate QB.

I respectfully disagree with some of the juniors you listed with NFL potential.  Tweeners have not done well in the NFL with some notable exceptions.  Even LMJ or DAT, as talented as they were, didn't find much success at the next level.  Hopefully some of those juniors come back, enjoy the college experience and get degrees/NIL.

It'll be interesting to see what Lanning and staff decide to do with the transfer portal next year.

I love Joey, one of my all time favorite Ducks, but he is in error here.

We already know what kind of team we have this year, I think we are all (save maybe Charles) just too afraid to embrace it.

Think about it, the Ducks are better in every area: speed, tackling, running to the ball, one on one DB coverage, rushing the qb, even stopping a running game (take out TS #'s from game 2 and its really good).

Our offense is scoring points like it was 2012 and the d is elite.

We've beaten every team handily except TT. Our first road game in a very hostile environment. But we held on for the W.

This year is special. I don't think there is any doubt we can play with any team out there. That we do know.

But to get there, we now get to go through the meat of our schedule. 

Every game is critical. 

So much could go wrong. 

But so much can go right!

So I'm with Charles, with the leadership we have on the team this year, 2023 is the year of the Duck!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

This coming off-season will undoubtedly find a shark pool of underachieving blue bloods in search of a new head coach circling Eugene thinking DL is ripe for the picking because of 2024’s rebuild.

I think they will find that we are quite prepared and ready for their anticipated onslaught.

When you’ve gone through this process as often as Oregon has, you learn the hard way, and the lessons eventually stick. That’s why this time we settled for nothing less than the character and abilities of a person like Dan Lanning.

There’s plenty of coaches out there who know how to win. It’s finding one who appreciates what is offered, and wants to deliver on that challenge. I see no reason to doubt that DL is that kind of person.

Anything can happen. We’ve been burned often enough to know that. But, add together the knowledge from those experiences with our hard earned success, unique image, facilities, unrivaled backing and recruiting prowess, and I think you could say we’ll be ready to hold onto our guy.

No, we not a blue blood. We’re a New Blood.

• Applause 2

I kinda agree with Joey. Who have we played? Who has anyone played? Dang near lost to TT. Hawaii's not very good. TT was coming off a loss and at home in the heat fired up beyond normal. Pst. Nuff said. CO, way overrated.

Stanford is the P12 bottom feeder. Not being a downer type but I too am waiting to see the WA game. With that being said there does seem to be a feeling about this team. My gut feeling is this is the once in a few years situation where the Ducks have a chance to make the CFP. 

And I don't think it will be there again for a few more years. 

On 10/7/2023 at 12:09 PM, GODUCKS15 said:

I disagree but super curious as to why you think it won't  "be there for a few more years"?

• Applause 1

On 10/7/2023 at 11:32 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Understood.  I was not projecting them, but I could see a few going with NFL agents in their ear, even if they are not NFL talent yet.  We have seen that often...

Perhaps with NIL...many will return to add to their value, as Bo did.

Got it. That makes sense. 

A few years ago, an Oregon player left early to enter the NFL draft, only to not be selected by any team. Some then mentioned that it would make sense for these borderline players with eligibility remaining, who are considering leaving early, to sit down with an advisor (perhaps someone who has played in the League to discuss what’s best for the player and his family) so that they are not just taking the word of an agent (who likely doesn’t have the best interest of the player in mind). Not sure if this has happened but I’m sure there are a number of Duck football alumni, with NFL experience, who would be willing to talk.  

On 10/7/2023 at 1:02 PM, Log Haulin said:

I disagree but super curious as to why you think it won't  "be there for a few more years"?

Bo's gone.

The team's a senior laden team.

It's not easy to replace the skill set a 5 year QB gives you.

On 10/7/2023 at 4:49 PM, GODUCKS15 said:

Bo's gone.

The team's a senior laden team.

It's not easy to replace the skill set a 5 year QB gives you.

No team in the country can replace Bo. It is what it is. But Lanning will fill the position with a above avg QB. It's what lanning does.

Lanning built this team in a little over a year. Dan sees a problem and he fixes it.

There are studs all over this football team. Lanning put them there, coached them and made them better.

Why are we thinking just because Bo leaves Oregon will be in a rebuild. Coach has done nothing to back that claim. 

We will see over the off season. But my bet is Laning reloads the chamber for another shot next year. He hasn't shown me anything contrary to that.

• Let’s hope! 2

On 10/7/2023 at 5:02 PM, Log Haulin said:

Why are we thinking just because Bo leaves Oregon will be in a rebuild.

Because it is 21 players, (See article) not just Bo.

That is how it looks right now, but after portal season--we will see.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/7/2023 at 6:32 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Because it is 21 players, (See article) not just Bo.

That is how it looks right now, but after portal season--we will see.

I saw the article. A huge chunk of those players were aquired within about 18 months of each other. Lannings been HC for less than 1.5 seasons. 

Most of the Dudes on this team, Lanning brought in. So since Lanning took the job he loaded this team with elite players. Implemented his vision and has them playing at a high level.

There was an article about Ducks being Different. Lanning is the reason. And the Ducks are different in a way that we haven't seen since CK if ever. That is also because of Lanning.

I guess if a rebuild is now defined within the confines of an off season then ok. But to me that is a reload.

I point to what Lanning did last off season to support my argument. Every weakness from last year is now a strength. Every one!

Can anybody here point to a position group that is weak? I don't see one. 

So Lanning didn't show us a rebuild from the time he was hired. He just loaded up in his first full offseason. I don't see that changing.

Dan's been a part of some of the best coaching staffs in the country. Two of them don't rebuild they reload. And Dan Lanning seems to have been as good of a pupil and he is a teacher.

If a one or two loss season is considered a failure (like at Bama) one day at Oregon, how sweet it will be. 

I don't think Lanning is interested in rebuilds, doubt he has the patients or tolerance for it. It's not in his DNA imo. And the proof spans his entire coaching career.

We will see if I am wrong by mid 25' season. 

• Go Ducks! 1

Not meaning to offend, but on paper...2024 is currently a rebuild.  But I also wrote..."forget about 2024 as the future is now."

He may make it a "reload," but we analyze that in the off-season.  For now, I do not want to get off-topic, and that is....this year is special and we should savor it.

Celebration_Eric Evans of Oregon Football X Account.jpg

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/7/2023 at 3:09 PM, GODUCKS15 said:

I kinda agree with Joey. Who have we played? Who has anyone played? Dang near lost to TT. Hawaii's not very good. TT was coming off a loss and at home in the heat fired up beyond normal. Pst. Nuff said. CO, way overrated.

Stanford is the P12 bottom feeder. Not being a downer type but I too am waiting to see the WA game. With that being said there does seem to be a feeling about this team. My gut feeling is this is the once in a few years situation where the Ducks have a chance to make the CFP. 

TT had won 26 home openers in a row before the loss to the Ducks. That was a great comeback in hostile territory

Behind its backup QB, Texas Tech easily defeated Baylor in Waco today. This is still a team that could finish in the top 25.

The win at TT is a far better win than UW's win at MI State. 

• Applause 2