GatOrlando

Who is Calling This USC Game?

Arizona is up 10-0, but the color commentator is calling the Heisman race over. Pointing out how explosive the offense is, despite two three and outs. Fifteen total yards, pressure on Caleb. Caleb missing throws as he's completing twenty percent right now. Am I watching a USC fan broadcast? 

Only thing worse is Gary Danielson swooning over Alabama or Georgia.

• Haha 1

Looks like Caleb has been making too many commercials instead of watching some film. 

The Dodgers could use him tonight. They're down ten runs to the Diamondbacks, ironically enough.

On 10/7/2023 at 8:14 PM, GatOrlando said:

Am I watching a USC fan broadcast? 

Yep... 

We have gotten used to it over the years. Usually they are saying that sort of thing when USC hasn't earned anything. Williams at least has last year's Heisman. 

Brock Ostweiler is the color commentator. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/7/2023 at 9:05 PM, David Marsh said:

Yep... 

We have gotten used to it over the years. Usually they are saying that sort of thing when USC hasn't earned anything. Williams at least has last year's Heisman. 

Williams is having a better start than last year. I don't doubt him, but have a little awareness about what Arizona was doing in the first quarter. Give that defense a little credit. Especially the way they played Washington the second half last week.

Edited by GatOrlando
  • Applause 1

On 10/7/2023 at 9:17 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

Brock Ostweiler is the color commentator. 

Is it written in the ABC contract to talk up the favorite? I thought it was Leinart at first, but it's the tall guy who played in Tempe. He doesn't need that Trojan money. The Houston Texans overpaid him when they thought he was the next Peyton Manning.

Williams isn't outshining the Az QB...

3 takeaways from a chaotic triple-overtime thriller that sees USC outlast Arizona

USC found itself down 17-0 early in the second quarter. The crowd inside the L.A. Coliseum was dazed and confused. USC’s first three drives all went three-and-out as Arizona racked up more than 200 yards on its first three possessions.

That set the scene for a truly wild night in Los Angeles.

USC needed triple-overtime to do so, but led by 260 total yards of offense and four total touchdowns from quarterback Caleb Williams, No. 9 USC survived an upset bid from Arizona and escaped with a 43-41 win.

The Trojans (6-0, 4-0 Pac-12) were outgained in the game 505-365. They gave up four sacks and were even in the turnover department.

They were just 3-for-9 on third downs and trailed for more than 30 minutes before finally wrestling control of the game away from the Wildcats (3-3, 1-2 Pac-12).

But having the best player in college football can be a great equalizer. Williams made plays late to deliver USC the win.

Here are three takeaways from the game...

SATURDAYOUTWEST.COM

USC escapes with a triple-overtime win over an upset-minded Arizona team thanks to Caleb Williams.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/8/2023 at 8:07 AM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

But having the best player in college football can be a great equalizer. Williams made plays late to deliver USC the win.

I think this is why Williams will win the Heisman again. He's good but half his team is awful... more than half really. And he gets to put on a highlight reel against inferior competition. Well... maybe not inferior because that implies USC has crushed everyone else and they let Colorado hang around until the last minute last week.

USC is on track right now to probably lose to Oregon and Washington this season at least. 

Notre Dame will be interesting next weekend. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Long time reader, first time commenter!

I'm gonna miss #pac12afterdark. I will, however, NOT miss Pac-12 refs.

Looking forward to next weekend's game against that team up north whose name I won't mention here lol. 

Go Ducks!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

From that saturdayoutwest.com article:

Three plays later, on a third-and-5 where Williams fired incomplete, Arizona linebacker Justin Flowe ran right through Williams and drew a roughing the passer penalty. MarShawn Lloyd ran the ball in for a touchdown on the very next play.

I saw that play, and Flowe was totally out of control in creating a most stupid penalty. Some things don't change.

• Thumbs Up 3

Possible Heisman alert.  The winner of the O-UW game may take the inside track to the Heismann.  Esp. if Penix comes out on top  Caleb not-with-standing.  The WSU kid's all but forgotten and so, it seems, is the Texas QB.

• Applause 1

On 10/8/2023 at 8:33 AM, CjAllen180 said:

Long time reader, first time commenter!

I'm gonna miss #pac12afterdark. I will, however, NOT miss Pac-12 refs.

Looking forward to next weekend's game against that team up north whose name I won't mention here lol. 

Go Ducks!

Amen my Duck-Brother, and congrats on joining us and posting!  Do share your thoughts often as the water is great in this Duck Pond...

Mr. FishDuck

The Archie curse looms over Caleb. He is marvelous, his defense isn't. Fair or not, a loss will greatly damage his chances.

On 10/8/2023 at 10:13 AM, GatOrlando said:

The Archie curse looms over Caleb. He is marvelous, his defense isn't. Fair or not, a loss will greatly damage his chances.

It didn't last year... and he had two to Utah. 

Granted... the second one he was injured which is usually an end to a Heisman campaign as well but it was the conference championship game. 

It does feel like the media love him so much they'll ignore short comments that are usually Heisman killers for other players. 

If USC plays like they did last night..... against Oregon........the game is going to be over in the first half. It was a miserable performance. 

I don't know if Riley is going to be around very long. To understand what I mean watch the game but to save time the last two minutes of regulation. 

• Haha 1

On 10/8/2023 at 10:18 AM, David Marsh said:

It didn't last year... and he had two to Utah. 

Granted... the second one he was injured which is usually an end to a Heisman campaign as well but it was the conference championship game. 

It does feel like the media love him so much they'll ignore short comments that are usually Heisman killers for other players. 

It didn't hurt Tebow, or Manziel in their Heisman winning years either. Once you win it, the pressure cranks up. Look at Manziel's statistics.

2012- Heisman winner

295-434 68.0% 3706 yards 8.5Y/A

26 TD 9 Int. 155.3 Rating

2013-

300-429 69.9% 4114 Yards 9.6 Y/A

37 TD 13 Int. 172.9 Rating

Texas  A@M  won 11 games, lost 2 in 2012. They won 9, lost 4 in 2013.

BTW Jameis Winston won the Heisman as a freshman in 2013.

He did actually deserve it, leading his team to an undefeated season, and the National Title. He threw for forty touchdowns, 4,100 yards, and ten interceptions. Any guess as to who kept Mr. Winston from winning it the next year, prolonging the Archie Curse?

• Haha 1

I think Penix is a better passer, Williams is a better fb player.

He definitely is the only reason they are undefeated.

Last year without him, they lose to the Beavs.  They lost to Utah due to him being hobbled and a Grinchy D.

Come to think of it, without a Grinchy D he might not have to put up the stats he does.

• Great post! 1

I've seen enough to put USC in the Pac-12 second tear with WSU and Oregon State. 

Washington and Oregon are clearly the best, most complete teams in the Pac-12.  Saturday is going to a HUGE showdown and perhaps a preview of the Pac-12 Championship Game!

• Thumbs Up 2

All I know about Riley and Williams is what they put on tape.

Williams looks amazing on the field. He looks like a petulant child off the field.

All the shots of Williams on the sidelines show him pouting and not talking to anyone.

Riley too is a pout-machine.

I think if Williams were a better leader and cared more about the team when he’s not playing, the USC D _might_ play better.

The Cotton Bowl collapse looked like a QB, an OL, and a defense that did not want to be on the  field.

Last night Williams actually looked bored.

On 10/8/2023 at 8:13 AM, David Marsh said:

I think this is why Williams will win the Heisman again. He's good but half his team is awful... more than half really. And he gets to put on a highlight reel against inferior competition. Well... maybe not inferior because that implies USC has crushed everyone else and they let Colorado hang around until the last minute last week.

USC is on track right now to probably lose to Oregon and Washington this season at least. 

Notre Dame will be interesting next weekend. 

You can't win the Heisman if your team doesn't win big. USuC won't beat ND, O, or UCLA. 

Can't be the "best" if your team isn't. 

• Applause 1