Pennsylvania Duck

Breaking: Edge Elijah Rushing Flipping to Oregon?

5-star EDGE Elijah Rushing decommits from Arizona; projected to flip to Oregon

Things are starting to move pretty quickly in the recruiting world for the Oregon Ducks.

Sunday night brought a lot of good news for Dan Lanning and his team, starting with the commitment of 4-star CB Sioine Laulea, the No. 1 rated JUCO player in the 2024 class.

However, fireworks started to come after that. A pair of recruiting predictions from 247Sports’ Steve Wiltfong and Blair Angilau came in for the Ducks to flip 5-star EDGE Elijah Rushing, who committed to the Arizona Wildcats earlier this summer.

Minutes later, the news broke that Rushing had officially decommitted from Arizona.

Rushing is rated by 247Sports as the No. 8 overall player in the 2024 class, and the No. 1 EDGE. He was long thought to be an Oregon lean, but surprised many by committing to Arizona instead of the Ducks earlier this summer.

We will now see if he turns right around and joins the Ducks 2024 class. It could happen quickly.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

The Oregon Ducks are now projected to land 5-star EDGE Elijah Rushing, who decommitted from the Arizona Wildcats on Sunday.

Whoa. Potentially huge.

Coach Lupoi at Elijah Rushing's game Friday...

Great possible news. I know his HS teammate had decommitted from U of A and I was hoping the young man would follow suit.

The B1G is a B1Gger draw than the B12 with no teams other than the soon-to-be departed OK and TX ranked.

Oregon never stopped recruiting... and I am sure that the B1G is far more appealing than the Big 12 which is really a secondary tier conference at this point.

• Thumbs Up 1

Coach Lanning and the crew are doing big things on the recruiting trail and I'm here for it! 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Rivals is the harder, and more consistent rating service.  Rushing is offered by Georgia, Michigan, Ohio State, Notre Dame, USC, Florida State, Oklahoma, Texas....anybody who is good.

N.RIVALS.COM

Elijah Rushing - 2024 4 Star Weakside defensive end for Salpointe (Tucson, AZ) on Rivals.com

Mr. FishDuck

Great news to start a Monday morning with. He is not a Duck yet but atleast Oregon has a shot at this guy.

Is Rushing a day one starter talent? Maybe, guess that depends on what Lanning can do in the portal this off season. 

The move to the B1G probably playes a small part IF Rushing chooses Oregon. IMO though, the play of the 23' Oregon defensive front is a huge part IF Rushing actually flips to Oregon.

Lanning has a lot of work to do before the 24' season kicks off. Great start landing Laulea yesterday. Now land Rushing and get a head start on rebuilding this roster for 24'

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Seems to be very little moss under the feet of this coaching staff. IMO Never have the Ducks been so aggressive.

Surprises under every rock!

All signs point to Oregon BUT as noted he does have a lot of offers.

The confidence level of the recruiting prognosticators that he will flip to Oregon is high. Payoff for patience and persistence on the part of the Ducks. There was little doubt that family and his teammate were big parts of Rushing's initial decision to commit to the hometown Wildcats. 

I can't imagine that his change of heart comes without a solid option for where he will land. His father noted that they were not interested in a rebuilding program still several years from relevance. DL knows how to coach up D-line players and put them in the league. Notre Dame, Auburn and Tennessee are not likely to make any headway here. The odds of a Tucson kid defecting to Tempe, and the dumpster fire it has become, has got to be zip-to-none.

The other soon to be B1G suitors, UW and UCLA may have some pull but I don't recall much noise being made by either in his initial recruitment. Perhaps another component of the high stakes game to be played this week in Seattle. 

• Go Ducks! 1

The teeth gnashing at other sites when Rushing announced to Arizona was amazing.  Talk about massive over-reaction, like the Dr. Pepper commercial...

"I am never watching Oregon football again."

giphy.gif

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/9/2023 at 8:51 AM, Augduck said:

All signs point to Oregon BUT as noted he does have a lot of offers.

I have learned to not count my chickens, from the Dante Moore fiasco.   Can't blame them, but the players are just not loyal to any team nowadays.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/9/2023 at 11:02 AM, DuckFan93 said:

I have learned to not count my chickens, from the Dante Moore fiasco.   Can't blame them, but the players are just not loyal to any team nowadays.

In the end...you simply need to have faith that, "Dan will get his."

Mr. FishDuck

It looks like his teammate who also decommitted from Arizona is trending to the Fuskies. Should we be worried about Washington in this recruitment? 

On 10/9/2023 at 11:49 AM, Chuck Duck said:

It looks like his teammate who also decommitted from Arizona is trending to the Fuskies. Should we be worried about Washington in this recruitment? 

Maybe a little. His teammate Wilhite is also an edge player, but a 3☆ that I don't think Oregon recruited. It's a bit more far-fetched to see them both go to UW at the same position. Wilhite is more likely to see the field if not in competition with Rushing. Maybe the Fuskies think if they take one they'll get both. That seems like a reach.

Rushing was willing to turn down playing with his brother who transferred to the 'Cats from Florida and is a backup safety. So he is willing to break with the hometown crowd. I think Rushing goes where the defensive scheme is optimal and his pro potential development is greatest. Right now that is with DL and the Ducks.

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Applause 1

I think everybody else should be concerned about him landing with the coaching staff he was hanging out with less than 24 hours before this announcement. Hint:It wasn't the flea riddled leg lifters!

• Thumbs Up 1

As another thought, I wouldn't be surprised to see him on the sidelines this weekend. If the Fuskies were smart, and if an official visit could be arranged, Rushing might be on the UW side. If he is it's not horrible news, it just gets him there. If he isn't, that's telling. If he's on the Oregon sideline that will be 'dancing in the street' news for the Ducks.

Speculating, wishing and hoping is fun and what fans get to do.....

We all have been taught to not count your chickens before they hatch. Just sound advice.....

One thing for sure, as we saw with TL was in the hen house on the weekend.

I am confident that DL, like the fox or chicken hawk, is firmly planted in the hen house, too.

Get em Dan......

Wiltfong Whiparound: Elijah Rushing, others trending to Oregon; Oklahoma, Louisville heat up; 5-star buzz

News and notes on some of the biggest happenings on the recruiting trail from the weekend.

247SPORTS.COM

News and notes on some of the biggest happenings on the recruiting trail from the weekend.

Prediction: Oregon Poised to Land 5-Star Recruit

The Ducks are surging for Elijah Rushing after he recently reopened his recruitment.

It’s was an eventful weekend for Oregon on the recruiting trail.

After landing a commitment from College of San Mateo (Calif.) cornerback Sione Laulea III on Sunday, the Ducks look like they’re trending for another elite recruit in the 2024 class. 

Today I’m logging a prediction for 2024 Tucson (Ariz.) Salpointe Catholic edge rusher Elijah Rushing to commit to the Oregon Ducks. 

Confidence level: 6/10

To access article, click here.

• Go Ducks! 2

The Duck Defense is really beginning to shape up into a power house. Lanning & Lupoi are doing a great job.

• Applause 1