Charles Fischer

What Husky Fans Say About Dan Lanning...

Whew!

"I mostly haven’t been impressed with Oregon coaching hires in general. There is always that worry that Phil Knight will use his money as a huge advantage to buy a great coach like he does with facilities and recruits. But it never seems to land a great, experienced coach. Right now he’s overpaying Lanning who tries to tell everyone how good he is because he can’t coach well enough to speak for itself."

"Dan Lanning has an inventory of all those 4 and 5 star players provided by Nike Phil; he has on paper an overwhelming talent edge according to the experts. Therefore he is expected to win. He is going up against the team and coach last year that beat him and all that talent at his home field. Kalen has out coached and out played Oregon since the day he arrived at Washington. Lanning gets paid the big bucks, Kalen is paid a sort of probationary salary, a guy who won everywhere but the argument was he had not been on the big stage.

Lanning had been on the big stage SEC but as an assistant and coordinator. What you see is his record. The argument could be made that a monkey could be hired as coach of Oregon and win with all that talent. So, who has all the pressure on him?  Will he make a dumb call or two from the sidelines due to pressure? Will he go for it when he shouldn't have? Good Gosh forbid, will his mighty ducklings be reduced to duck soup by games end losing by 21? Who has the most pressure on their back?"

Dan Lanning_Jerry Thompson.jpg

"Coach KBD has complete confidence in his longtime coaching staff! Watching the sidelines during a game, he doesn't micromanage but if he sees something of concern he'll pass it along accordingly to his staff member(s) and then goes his way. I don't believe Lanning has that same relationship with his staff and it's reflected at times in his decision making and media disposition! He's appears, periodically, to be 'a cat on a hot tin roof' and that will definitely BITE him this Saturday at Husky Stadium!"

"Anyone giving Oregon the edge in coaching just isn’t plugged in and paying attention. DeBoer’s program is more tested and successful."

"There is a word, Class. Can't buy it, can’t be given to you. If you don’t “get” it you will never have it. Some people just never get it."

"Lanning is a total douche."

Lanning and Marcus Harper by J3P.jpg

• Wow 1
  • Haha 2

Mr. FishDuck

At least the poster spelled "douche" right... amazing what the more academically processed fan base can dream up, in't it?

• Haha 1

The old axiom applies here:  'They are not jealous of what you have.  They are jealous of what they can't have'.  

• Thumbs Up 1

I see this stuff and all I can think is that this may end up being the best Oregon vs Them episode yet.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I have listened to a lot of Husky podcasts this week. Coupled to these comments, I would say that Fusky fan is pretty ignorant about the team in Eugene. 

All I read from those Husky fan quotes are "wah wah cry cry money Uncle Phil wah wah not fair cry cry wah..."

Ben Crenshaw said it best.. I got a feeling..Folks this is going to be epic!!

Great time to be a Duck!!

Husky fan doing their part on hate week.

KDB can't recruit his way out of a paper bag, and once all the players he brought from his previous stops cycle through, there won't be enough good coaching in the world to turn that water into wine.

Anybody got any "Your mama.." jokes?

We've got almost 2 days left. Let's dig deep people.

It's a familiar OLD refrain, is it not?

I don't remember (Pardon my synaptic dysfunction, if I'm wrong... I AM 70) a time in the social media era when this was not the general tone of most posts from the befuddled fuskies.

BTW, is this still common practice?

th?id=OIP.gMhBgrlVZhORb3L3dEsoMwHaGD%26p

Edited by woundedknees
  • Oh no! 1

Both coaches are in year 2 at their current school.  Too early to tell what each coach is.  I believe both are on an upward trajectory, but to have a definitive stance is a bit silly.

I'm still not sold on Jonathan Smith and he is year 6.  

It is curious about UW throwing stones about coaching hires.

Keith Gilbertson 2003-04:  7-16

Tyrone Willingham 2005-08: 11-37

Steve Sarkisian 2009-13: 34-29

Chris Peterson 2014-19: 55-26

Jimmy Lake: 2020-21:  7-6

Bob Gregory: 2021:  0-3

• Mic drop 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Here is a text exchange between my brother (fusky fan) and I.

Screenshot_20231012_153249_Message.jpg.ac349db5682a5279fe73153c1f1f2b46.jpg

• Haha 6
  • Great post! 2

I'd only worry if the Huskies fans were complementary.  Then I'd fear they actually had some sense.

Edited by Mic
  • Haha 2
  • Applause 1

On 10/12/2023 at 3:15 PM, Hop said:

Ben Crenshaw said it best.. I got a feeling..Folks this is going to be epic!!

Great time to be a Duck!!

Amen our new Duck-BrotherWelcome to the forum, and GREAT first post.

Mr. FishDuck

Our defense is completely different than last year. 

Also I love how Husky fans seem to think they won by like 21 last year, at least it's the way they talk about it. 

And they also forget that one of their players lowered his helmet into Nix's leg. Well of course they'd forget that... That would mean they wouldn't have won otherwise. If it was up to them they'd be head hunting the entire Oregon team. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 10/12/2023 at 3:35 PM, Log Haulin said:

Here is a text exchange between my brother (fusky fan) and I.

Screenshot_20231012_153249_Message.jpg.ac349db5682a5279fe73153c1f1f2b46.jpg

Those look like they were in the bargain bin at the local magician's supply store.

On 10/12/2023 at 4:14 PM, David Marsh said:

If it was up to them they'd be head hunting the entire Oregon team.

This will not be a clean game imo. There will ne some dirty play and it's most likely to get chippy. 

Oregon needs to keep cool. But a man can only take so much. Hopefully Lanning can keep his guys to understand that.

The quote button on Log Haulin’s post doesn’t work so, this is in response to the Husky shoe. Outlet stores are where companies send their merchandise that they can’t get rid of. You will never see a pair of Duck Nike’s in the bargain basement.

• Applause 1

On 10/12/2023 at 4:19 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

The quote button on Log Haulin’s post doesn’t work so, this is in response to the Husky shoe. Outlet stores are where companies send their merchandise that they can’t get rid of. You will never see a pair of Duck Nike’s in the bargain basement.

No, but you will see them on the feet of my nephew who lives in St. Paul, MN.  Don't ask me why he loves the Ducks so much but he does. His dad is Mn born and so is he.  But (lucky for him) his mother was born in Coos 'Bay.

• Go Ducks! 1

Part of being a great coach is also being a great recruiter, and Husky fans know that, lament it, and will gradually accept their fate in future years.

Husky Husky.jpg

• Haha 2

Mr. FishDuck

They’re pretty much doing what we’re doing here. Sitting around trashing their rivals to make themselves feel good about their situation. And both of us are in great situations. One will just be a little greater after Saturday. However, the chance of these two teams playing again in Vegas is pretty good. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I think even Dan would agree that, as a head coach, he is work in progress. That said, I’d take his upside to anyone else in the PAC-12, including DeBoer.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Like 1

On 10/12/2023 at 4:24 PM, Mic said:

No, but you will see them on the feet of my nephew who lives in St. Paul, MN.  Don't ask me why he loves the Ducks so much but he does. His dad is Mn born and so is he.  But (lucky for him) his mother was born in Coos 'Bay.

My Granddaughter in Tennessee Is sporting Duck gear on a regular basis... and her Mom went to Illinois.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

• Great post! 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Hey Charles, I was planning to post this but you beat me to it.

Although there is no question who I am pulling for on Saturday, I really see this game as a "pick em." I would guess the line slightly favors the fuskies because the game is in Seattle, but it is likely a big play in the 4th Q determines who wins. 

As for squabbles over who is the best coach, each has real strengths. I like Lanning though based on his apparent recruiting prowess. You work for two of the master recruiters in the game and it rubs off.

• Applause 1

This is the quote which speaks volumes about the dawg fanbase, "There is a word, Class. Can't buy it, can’t be given to you. If you don’t “get” it you will never have it. Some people just never get it."

The dawg fanbase actually think they have class, and actually were born with it. Well class will be in session come Saturday, and they better be paying attention. It won't be given to you, the dawgs won't have it, and they won't ever get it. 

The status of the dawg program will be exposed to all on college game day. There will be no hiding the fact that the dawgs are the fraud, and their brand is just all bark and no bite! They have no titles, and no entitlement, and actually no class!

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

At my gym in Santa Rosa, CA this morning four DUCK T-shirts were spotted vs zero Fuskie shirts. Is it a sign?

• Haha 1
  • Applause 2