Charles Fischer

We Got SNOOKERED by Utah Fans....

We got snookered by the Utah fans?  I should rephrase that to stating that we on the OBD forum were getting the wrong impression of most Utah fans by the wonderful Ute fans who show up here to discuss college football.

I have a friend who is a Utah fan, and he and I have great conversations, but he told me his son, "hates Oregon with a passion, as does most of his friends."  That surprised me, but I brushed it off as a small sample.

Did you hear the Utah fans in the background of the game?  They were booing a good bit of the time when things did not go their way.  There was a play where Evan Williams was coming up to tackle the Utah QB, who then slid low.  Williams then jumped over the top of him to avoid collision/penalty.  When I saw the play in real-time, I thought that maybe Evan was head-hunting?  But when I saw the replay--it was apparent that Williams was trying to avoid hitting him.

That is not what the Utah crowd thought.  Did you hear them booing the officials 15 minutes later because a penalty was not called?

I think the majority of Utah fans are not Oregon-friendly, but we are fortunate to have the exception here in the Our Beloved Ducks forum.

Los Angeles - MUSS Board

• Wow 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Early on CGD there was a sign that read "Bryson Barnes farms Bo Nix's mom". It was super low class. I think espn felt that way too because the sign disappeared after the first few segments.

Utes fan can be as nasty as any fan base. But this was a super low blow. I lost a ton of respect for Utes fan.

By the way, whats with the Harley out of the tunnel Utes? Sheesh!

The coach is top notch, and their state is a beautiful one. Sometimes the student body can't fully reflect the surrounding atmosphere.

I know we shouldn't be tossing too many stones too far, as we do live in a glass house, especially when the state of Utah is concerned.

• Thumbs Up 3

Utah…The land that time forgot.

Some drop dead gorgeous scenery in Utah, but it is one of those “nice place to visit, but I wouldn’t want to live there” states for me. 

For those that have off-road toys, it has some outstanding places to use and abuse that type of machinery. 

As far as their fans, always fun to watch the stands empty out because they know that they have zero percent chance to even make it close. 

Wow, I'm surprised as well. All of my interactions and observations concerning the Utah fan base have been overwhelmingly positive. 

I'd like to think that most Utah fans are first class.. Maybe it was just the adrenaline pumping? After all, at the end of the day, it IS "Us vs. Them", so maybe that's it?

I'll miss Utah... although I won't miss playing them lol 

I haven't had many interactions with Utah fans but they have a first class head football coach.

• Go Ducks! 1

Now they probably hate us more. Neener Neener. Too bad for them.

• Haha 2

College age fans everywhere can do stupid things. So can some adults. They are in the minority thankfully. A year ago there was a lot of criticism directed at the Oregon student section for a few idiots that chanted some very distasteful stuff at BYU.

Even Utah students can get a bit out of hand when they are hopped up on rooiboos herb tea, caffeine free soda and near beer. Boos are just a part of the game 

When DL was interviewed by the CGD bunch, the partisan crowd rained boos down on him. He just smiled, gestured over his shoulder and said, "They're chanting for Bo!"

• Haha 4
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 5

Hard to tell who was booing. My gut feeling was the student section. They had a great deal of passion wrapped up in the day.

Many of them probably stayed up all night to be on site at 0 dark thirty for CGD. They had energy, passion and hope 

Hours later the Ducks literally kicked their teams arse and sucked the life out of the entire Ute fan base.

Consider that they have not been thrashed and dominated at home in forever.

My home was filled with Utah/BYU fans for both Natty games rooting for our Ducks to win.....

Our own student section can be one step above asinine at times, too.

Go Ducks.....

A dog wants to play me pool for money? Count me in!

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Got snookered again!

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/30/2023 at 6:16 PM, EastBayDuckDad said:

hopped up on rooiboos herb tea

…reposted without comment. 🏆

• Haha 1

Utah and Oregon have played almost every year since 2012... This is a rivalry game now. 

We have played Utah more in the last decade than USC and UCLA. 

We have ruined each other's seasons and played some amazing games. Thr Utes didn't come to the Pac-12 with an established rival. They were given Colorado by the conference due to geography alone but rivalries aren't one sided but a back and forth. 

There is a whole generation of Oregon and Washington fans who have only discovered our rivalry recently after the 12 years of Duck Domination. 

Oregon and Utah have had a wonderful back and forth ... I think they hate us more than we do them but it's a rivalry. I think as far as they're concerned we've been their biggest rival since joining the conference... Or one of the biggest for sure. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Every single fan base in the country has their share of idiots.

Also, if people didn't already know, Oregon is one of the most disliked teams across the Pac-12. This should come as a surprise to nobody since they have been one of the most successful teams in the Pac-12 over the past few decades.  That is just the way it goes.  There is virtually no team in the conference that doesn't get hyped up to beat the Ducks.

Untitled.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I have some pretty rabid Duck and Beavus friends that have said some things that have embarrassed me including myself. Hard to admit it but I also can be an ars at times. Part of being a fan I guess.

Lord how I try not to be that guy but it doesn’t always work and is the reason I watch the games at home sometimes. My poor wife has to put up with me. I love her for that.

• Thumbs Up 2

I give no credence to a small handful of fans that are boorish. I remember being on the field after Oregon whooping up on U$C. Sanchez was their QB. One of Oregons illustrious students decided to make a sign that referenced a derogatory act with the word 'Sanchez' in it. They also drew pictures as well. The U$C band had to turn around as it was so disgusting. I truly was embarrassed by the 'Oregon Fan'.I was embarrassed for all us fans and hoped we weren't all grouped together as boorish fans.

I'll bet we were.

It's the nature of Fandom. Opposing fans take isolated incidents and paint the entire opposing fan base as such. That in turn translates to emotions about the opposing 'Team'. The Team just plays and somehow we hate 'The Team'. Case in point? Washington voting us out of a position for a Bowl game. We tend to project our emotions for the other team based on isolated incidents of a handful of people or maybe just one.

I'm guessing opposing fan bases think the same. STINKING HUSKIES!!

Don't you just love College Football???!!! 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

A few years back, I attended a game at Rice Eccles against Utah.  It was a black out, but as a Duck fan, I didn't follow the rules.  Can you spot me?

I was treated well by 99.9% of the fans and had a good time tailgating with Utah fans I had just met. 

image.png.562ff9711035342840c0be92e97e57bc.png

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

We'll I'd counter with that time Duck fans chanted "frick' the Mormons." after BYU's Sumataia had ran around the stadium before the game a flag honoring Spencer Webb.

So we can be classless too, and if I were Mormon I'd probably not forget that had happened and wished the worst for the Ducks too.

All water under the bridge. We won't play Utah any any time soon unless we meet in the playoffs.

Edited by Solar
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/31/2023 at 6:28 PM, Solar said:

We'll I'd counter with that time Duck fans chanted "frick' the Mormons." after BYU's Sumataia had ran around the stadium before the game a flag honoring Spencer Webb.

So we can be classless too, and if I were Mormon I'd probably not forget that had happened and wished the worst for the Ducks too.

All water under the bridge. We won't play Utah any any time soon unless we meet in the playoffs.

That was a just a couple of drunk students, (who were condemned by everyone) not thousands I heard in the background.

Oh well.  We have great Utah fans who come to this forum--and that was my original point.

Mr. FishDuck

I sat in Utes section for 2019 PAC 12 championship. Generally civil with the typically ribbing between opposing fans, except one drunk Utes fan who was berating the other Utes fans for not being enthusiastic enough.  I actually had to step in when he got in the face of an elderly couple. Certainly more civil then the fuskies fans.

• Thumbs Up 1

Lots of Mormons live in Oregon, I grew up in a neighborhood full of them. Two of my best friends in high school were Mormons and trust me they were always well behaved. One of them would even drink beer with me. 

There is usually a bad egg in every carton and sometimes athletic events bring out the crazy in some. All in all they’ve always treated me with respect and I always return the favor. Hope they win out.