FishDuck Article

It’s Beginning to Look a Lot Like 2014

2014 is without a doubt the best season in Oregon history, so far. Marcus Mariota won Oregon’s only Heisman, Oregon won the conference championship and the Rose Bowl, and appeared in the National Championship Game but couldn’t quite seal the deal to bring home the “Natty.” It was a special season and we haven’t reached that height since. There have ...

FISHDUCK.COM

2014 is without a doubt the best season in Oregon history, so far. Marcus Mariota won Oregon's only Heisman, Oregon won the...
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

On 10/31/2023 at 2:05 AM, FishDuck Article said:

2014 is without a doubt the best season in Oregon history, so far. Marcus Mariota won Oregon’s only Heisman, Oregon won the conference championship and the Rose Bowl, and appeared in the National Championship Game but couldn’t quite seal the deal to bring home the “Natty.” It was a special season and we haven’t reached that height since. There have ...

FISHDUCK.COM

2014 is without a doubt the best season in Oregon history, so far. Marcus Mariota won Oregon's only Heisman, Oregon won the...

Just finish the job this time!!! This year's team is built to beat physical teams like Georgia, Michigan, or Ohio State. That 2014 had more flash, but Ezekiel Elliot wore that defense down in the second half. I don't see that happening this year. You guys are better than '14, or '10 imo. 

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

I think there is a big difference between the 2014 Ducks and the 2023 Ducks. I think that difference is glaring.

In 2014 Oregon had the 89th ranked total defense. This years total defense sits at 16th I think.

2014, Oregon ranked 4th in total offense and sit at #2 in the country in total offense.

I could be wrong but that seems like a large gap. To me, this is a better team on paper. But the games have yet to be played out. So thats me putting cart before horse.

I also think Bo is a better all around QB than Mariota was. Probably an unpopular statement. But it's just one mans opinion on a fan board.

This is a super fun year. Hopefully Ducks take care of business because I think this team can win the whole damn thing 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 4

Another big difference, Dan Lanning > Mark Helfrich

I will also say our depth is greater than in 2014, which was another thing that doomed the team as they went into the game against the nuts.

• Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1

Bo might be a better QB than Marcus or Dennis. Dixon was unbelievable in college just ask Nick Sabin he was scared to death of that kid but for an injury he gets a Heisman and a natty. Bo has yet to prove he’s better than those two guys but he has a chance to do it and I think he will. 

Go Bo

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

David it is beginning to look alot like 2014.....

I agree with Log Haulin that the 2023 team, on paper is better. Especially at QB and the D.

In replaying the game I noticed Bo seemed to be getting his team to the line, eyes focused on the Utes D and making multiple audibles.

Marcus had more speed but may not have been an on field, play calling coach like Bo. That is an intangible to consider.

The 2023 D is built to win and maybe dominate. There is not much drop off, if any, when substitutions are made.

They still need to shut down Williams and or Penix to evem get to the CFP. We shall see.

Lots of football ahead though. Fun topic to ponder but much left ahead to be handled.

Before we can compare 2023 to 2014 this years squad must handle business and get to the Natty.

Go Ducks......nothing matters but beating Cal.....

• Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 3

The 2014 team lost its 2 best WRs and its best CB in between the Rose Bowl and the Natty. Then, the day of the Natty, our best RB was inexplicably absent—no one has ever gotten to the bottom of that.

Our D held tOSU to its average, our O was held to less than half its average.

While everyone remembers Elliot pounding us late in the game, it was actually our offense that underperformed. And that’s to be expected when your 3 best skill players are out.

Depth is what won the ‘14 Natty. tOSU was playing its 3rd string QB.

The ‘23 Ducks have waaaaaaaay more depth. It’s not even close. 

• Thumbs Up 4

I would say hold on to the Orgegon qb comparison's. Dixon was lightening in a bottle and Mariota won the Heisman and there is not need to compare against our own. 

Bo will have his time to make a place in our history, but for now he is making that history, no reason to compare or elevate him against our own.

I would put him above this years competition as the season progresses. I guess I just don't like seeing our greats shifted up or down in the history books. There are plenty of competitors to do that against.

Right now I would take Bo over anybody playing college ball in 2023, end of story. He can win the Pac-12 Championship game before the Heisman ballots are due in. At that point he should be rated higher than his completion this year, and I hope he is. 

I guess comparing him against Marcus, and Dennis just tugs at me emotionally, we should go after the competition!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I should have added... 

It's beginning to look a lot like 2014 but without the massive crippingling long term injuries. 

This Oregon team has depth and loads of it. 

I think Lanning is improving his game management a bit along with his coordinators. With so much youth it's bound to create some learning curves. 

At this point the plan is simple for the Ducks... Just WIN! 

• Thumbs Up 2

Your 2010 team scored 611 points, while allowing only 243. You had the 24th rated SOS. That was the year Stanford finished number 4, and went 12-1. You had your first ever undefeated regular season, and got your first ever #1 AP ranking. People seem to forget that team, to me this year's team reminds me a lot more of that squad. Your defense held Cam Newton down pretty much the entire game, and lost on a last second field goal.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Fun article David, and your title reminded me of the song...

"It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like Christmas..."

And for an Oregon fan...it could!

Big Stops_Eric Evans of Oregon Football.jpg

• Let’s hope! 1

Mr. FishDuck

I am superstitious so I am not going to weigh in on this.😉

On another site they brought up these stats that are interesting...

Total Sacks:

2014 - 37 (including postseason)

2023 - 27 and counting

Sacks Allowed:

2014 - 31

2023 - 4

The 2023 offensive line might be built better for pass-protection, but that 2014 unit was built to move.  They could block out in open space like crazy...

Royce Freeman_Craig Strobeck.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

January 1, 2024, Oregon vs. FSU in the Rose Bowl. Maybe Time is a Flat Circle?

Thanks, David.

• Haha 2

2022 Trojans - 28 takeaways - 7 TOs by Troy - 1.5 a game net was #1 in the FBS. In 2023, SC's YPP is up and yards surrendered is down but SC is .22 in net TOs.

2014 - Ducks - 1.53 TOs a game was #1. And This showed up versus FSU in the Rose Bowl. 

I'm not counting out SC just yet. 5-1 in the conference and currently in 2nd place, a half-game behind UW, and a half-game ahead of OREGON.

Looking at the polls, UW -3 is a thin spread.  

All I will say is if everything breaks Oregon's way, can you imagine this defense with weeks to prepare for any of the other CFP contenders??

DL will have them so dialed in!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 10/31/2023 at 6:44 AM, Just Ducky said:

Bo might be a better QB than Marcus or Dennis. Dixon was unbelievable in college just ask Nick Sabin he was scared to death of that kid but for an injury he gets a Heisman and a natty. Bo has yet to prove he’s better than those two guys but he has a chance to do it and I think he will. 

Go Bo

I do think Bo will be a better NFL QB than Marcus.   He definitely seems smarter running the game too and should command more respect that Marcus ever did.   Would be nice to have two NFL teams to root for on Sundays again.

• Thumbs Up 2

Ducks at 6

Ohio state 1

7 2024 B1G teams ranked with 4 in the top 10.

8 2024 SEC teams ranked with 3 in the top 10.

But the rankings to remember, come in December.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/1/2023 at 9:06 AM, Jon Joseph said:

7 2024 B1G teams ranked with 4 in the top 10.

8 2024 SEC teams ranked with 3 in the top 10.

But the rankings to remember, come in December.

4 future BIG teams ranked in the top 6. This is going to be a nasty conference. There are 4 teams that will push for a playoff birth. 7 if you count USC, Fusky and Whisky. I think Badgers will be above USC and Husky most years.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/31/2023 at 10:22 AM, Dr Hilarius said:

The ‘23 Ducks have waaaaaaaay more depth. It’s not even close. 

Agree, with one exception: QB.

We've seen how that can play out more than once.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/1/2023 at 12:54 PM, tee duke said:

The issue that will be difficult to hurdle is the QB that Nix is. Expectations of QB play at Oregon is going to be through the roof. Super unfair to the next guy but thats how it goes.

Unless the next guy plays at the level (or close) Nix plays, Duck fans just might lose their minds next year. I have a tendancy to poke at the Eeyors here. Hope I don't get expelled 😁.

Just thought I would drop this little seed now. Should be entertaining watching heads explode😶‍🌫️

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/1/2023 at 12:54 PM, tee duke said:

What makes Nix good is that he has learned to play within the system. He knows the system very well, but he is at his best when he doesn't need to play hero and for the most part he hasn't needed to do so. 

He can manipulate the plays at the LoS like a pro and work the system against opponents. 

I think Mariota had many more physical gifts than Nix, but the difference is also in the systems.

Oregon’s blur offense of the Mariota era fit him like a glove, and Mariota could run it like no one else at Oregon has been able to pull off. 

Nix has a prostyle offense that is pretty complex in its own right. 

But in both cases the QB depth after the first QB was highly questionable. The backups just haven't proven they can operate the systems better than the starters by a long shot. 

• Thumbs Up 1