FishDuck Article

The Deja Vu Ducks are Once Again Perched at 8-1

For the second consecutive season under second-year head coach Dan Lanning, the Ducks are 8-1 with their only loss coming against a Top-5 team. Last year, the Ducks sputtered to finish 1-2 with losses to bitter rivals Washington and Oregon State, while pulling out a gutsy win against Utah with an obviously injured Bo Nix. This begs the question, how ...

FISHDUCK.COM

Darren Perkins of FishDuck.com wonders how this year’s Oregon team will finish with three games left on the regular season schedule.
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

I think the best term to describe the coming games is throttle. We will be going into the games with the pedal to the metal, full throttle. 

We will also throttle each of the coming opponents like a boa constrictor. A boa doesn't suffocate as much as constricts the blood supply, and then the opponent drops.

The way this team is playing the term throttle should scare the living daylights out of each team. A top defense and a top offense while improving each week. Once they are within striking distance, it is going to be over!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

USC will be a challenge for out Defense, esp. the DB's.  Their QB is one of the very best in the nation and he has fast, talented receivers who can make amazing catches.  This won't be easy for Oregon but O has the coaching, the talent and the momentum to get this done in a deciding fashion.  Finishing these last three games to earn another shot at UW is going to be exciting to watch.  

• Thumbs Up 4

Darren, while anything is possible when the games are played, my feeling is the Ducks win all 3 games.

Last years 8-1 start was built around an outstanding O line, emerging WR, RB and TE's and an experienced, hungry QB.

The Duck D was lost and lacked the freaks and depth ro execute DL's vision and game plan. The final score depended on the O.

Bo gets hurt, the D completely disappears the last 20 minutes of the CW and DL makes some critical in game decisions that bring about a 9-3 regular season. (San Diego here we come)

The 2022 squad was fragile and learning.

The 2023 squad is not fragile and has 22 games of learning under DL and staff.

DL brought in the freaks for the D. Built depth on both sides of the ball and Bo is even better.

Only the Ducks can keep themselves from 11-1 and off to Vegas. This squad was built to dominate.

First things first, beat usc......

Go Ducks....

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Great post! 4
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1

My eyes and heart tell me that they will win out and become the pac12 Champs. But my heart has dropped many times proving my thoughts inaccurate. However, I'm reminded of two seasons, not to long ago, that everything came together and they made it to the championship game. 

So I will remain thankful for the privilege of watching this team, this year. Also for being a part of this great group of Duck fans!

Edited by BigDog
Wording
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 7

Winning out.  These aren't our father's Oldsmobiles.

These Ducks are built different from any others we have seen.

Vs usc, I see a Colorado type start and then a thoroughly demoralized sc in the second half with Williams being pulled down 3 scores in the 4th.

ASU, no problem.

THE OSU, not the tOSU we will face next year and beyond, our Uiagalelei will usher in a CW victory.

Then on to Vegas where the current Ducks - 6.5 will be just like the game in Utah.

Just saying, no prejudice. 

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

Thanks for jinxing us Darren 😛

• Haha 2
  • Applause 1

Thank you, Darren.

Don't forget the impressive comeback win vs. UNC and QB Drake Maye in the Holiday Bowl. A win when Bo was still playing with an injured leg. A win that allowed OREGON to finish with a double-digit win total. Pretty remarkable under a first-year coach in his first year of being a head coach and after being trounced by Georgia in the opening game. 

I have seen very few 'experts' call this game for SC. Stewart Mandel of The Athletic predicts OREGON 56 and USC 28.

USC has nothing to lose here and comes to Autzen ready to let it all hang out on O and perhaps, a D juiced up from saying so long to Grinch.

USC, along with OREGON are the only 2 Pac-12 teams with Blue Chip rosters.

With the 1-loss team log jam in the Committee rankings, OREGON 6, Texas 7, and Bama 8, the Committee will evaluate this game compared to the beatdown of USC in South Bend.

I think the Ducks go 4-0, win the Pac-12, and make the Final 4.

Mari(o) with back-to-back games at FSU and vs. Louisville has a chance to help the Ducks cause.

Texas at TCU will likely again be without QB Ewers and this is a huge game for TCU.

Bama should win at Kentucky, will defeat Chattanooga (DUH,) and should win the Iron Bowl on the road at Auburn.

I would love it if OREGON makes the PO as the #3 seed and plays Michigan or Ohio State in the Rose Bowl. Another chance to beat down FSU in the Rose Bowl would also be nice.

GO DUCKS! BEAT SC!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/9/2023 at 9:30 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Mari(o) with back-to-back games at FSU and vs. Louisville has a chance to help the Ducks cause.

Rely on Mario for a critical win?  I just threw up a little in my mouth 🤮

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/9/2023 at 6:16 AM, Haywarduck said:

I think the best term to describe the coming games is throttle. We will be going into the games with the pedal to the metal, full throttle. 

We will also throttle each of the coming opponents like a boa constrictor. A boa doesn't suffocate as much as constricts the blood supply, and then the opponent drops.

The way this team is playing the term throttle should scare the living daylights out of each team. A top defense and a top offense while improving each week. Once they are within striking distance, it is going to be over!

Nice, a snake analogy. We shall slither our way to victory!!!

On 11/9/2023 at 6:33 AM, Mic said:

USC will be a challenge for out Defense, esp. the DB's.  Their QB is one of the very best in the nation and he has fast, talented receivers who can make amazing catches.  This won't be easy for Oregon but O has the coaching, the talent and the momentum to get this done in a deciding fashion.  Finishing these last three games to earn another shot at UW is going to be exciting to watch.  

Will be a tough challenge. Of course, hopefully not. Hopefully, their D will not play inspired ball with the coordinator change. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/9/2023 at 6:34 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Darren, while anything is possible when the games are played, my feeling is the Ducks win all 3 games.

Last years 8-1 start was built around an outstanding O line, emerging WR, RB and TE's and an experienced, hungry QB.

The Duck D was lost and lacked the freaks and depth ro execute DL's vision and game plan. The final score depended on the O.

Bo gets hurt, the D completely disappears the last 20 minutes of the CW and DL makes some critical in game decisions that bring about a 9-3 regular season. (San Diego here we come)

The 2022 squad was fragile and learning.

The 2023 squad is not fragile and has 22 games of learning under DL and staff.

DL brought in the freaks for the D. Built depth on both sides of the ball and Bo is even better.

Only the Ducks can keep themselves from 11-1 and off to Vegas. This squad was built to dominate.

First things first, beat usc......

Go Ducks....

Nice breakdown!

• Thanks 1

On 11/9/2023 at 6:34 AM, BigDog said:

My eyes and heart tell me that they will win out and become the pac12 Champs. But my heart has dropped many times proving my thoughts inaccurate. However, I'm reminded of two seasons, not to long ago, that everything came together and they made it to the championship game. 

So I will remain thankful for the privilege of watching this team, this year. Also for being a part of this great group of Duck fans!

Yes, it "feels" as though they should win out. But, ya never know how the ball might bounce. But, I'll take the Ducks to finish 3-0.

On 11/9/2023 at 6:59 AM, Steven A said:

Winning out.  These aren't our father's Oldsmobiles.

These Ducks are built different from any others we have seen.

Vs usc, I see a Colorado type start and then a thoroughly demoralized sc in the second half with Williams being pulled down 3 scores in the 4th.

ASU, no problem.

THE OSU, not the tOSU we will face next year and beyond, our Uiagalelei will usher in a CW victory.

Then on to Vegas where the current Ducks - 6.5 will be just like the game in Utah.

Just saying, no prejudice. 

"Demoralized." I like it. Let's be the team that makes Williams retire from college football. 

Different team, different year mostly different players. But I don't know. They could lose. 

On 11/9/2023 at 8:26 AM, kirklandduck said:

Thanks for jinxing us Darren 😛

I laid out all the possibilities. Except for going 0-3. OH CRAP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On 11/9/2023 at 9:30 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Thank you, Darren.

Don't forget the impressive comeback win vs. UNC and QB Drake Maye in the Holiday Bowl. A win when Bo was still playing with an injured leg. A win that allowed OREGON to finish with a double-digit win total. Pretty remarkable under a first-year coach in his first year of being a head coach and after being trounced by Georgia in the opening game. 

I have seen very few 'experts' call this game for SC. Stewart Mandel of The Athletic predicts OREGON 56 and USC 28.

USC has nothing to lose here and comes to Autzen ready to let it all hang out on O and perhaps, a D juiced up from saying so long to Grinch.

USC, along with OREGON are the only 2 Pac-12 teams with Blue Chip rosters.

With the 1-loss team log jam in the Committee rankings, OREGON 6, Texas 7, and Bama 8, the Committee will evaluate this game compared to the beatdown of USC in South Bend.

I think the Ducks go 4-0, win the Pac-12, and make the Final 4.

Texas at TCU will likely again be without QB Ewers and this is a huge game for TCU.

Bama should win at Kentucky, will defeat Chattanooga (DUH,) and should win the Iron Bowl on the road at Auburn.

I would love it if OREGON makes the PO as the #3 seed and plays Michigan or Ohio State in the Rose Bowl. Another chance to beat down FSU in the Rose Bowl would also be nice.

GO DUCKS! BEAT SC!

Very good, thanks for breakdown!

• Thanks 1

On 11/9/2023 at 9:50 AM, kirklandduck said:

Rely on Mario for a critical win?  I just threw up a little in my mouth 🤮

I had that same thought, no puking in mouth, just muttered, "fricken Mario."

• Applause 1

On 11/9/2023 at 10:31 AM, Log Haulin said:

Different team, different year mostly different players. But I don't know. They could lose. 

I more afraid of USC than OSU. Trojans have a puncher's chance. I think the Ducks control OSU for a solid home win. 

• Thumbs Up 1

One of the key differences this year is that Bo can run more than 4 yards to secure a first down if we need him to.  So hopefully no Deja Vu for the remaining 3 games.   Go Ducks!

Edited by DuckFan93

On 11/9/2023 at 10:41 AM, Darren Perkins said:

I more afraid of USC than OSU. Trojans have a puncher's chance. I think the Ducks control OSU for a solid home win. 

I can see why, Caleb and that offense can score points.

I don't know if its been said yet, i haven't been on here much lately,but I have a key to the game I think will be a major factor. Especially late in the season with USC already playing 10 games.

Fatigue. Ducks players have played half the football USC players have played up to this point. USC has been in some exhausting games as of late. They look exhausted both physically and emotionally.

To me, that is a major factor and advantage Oregon. But we will see. Ducks could still lose 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

On 11/9/2023 at 11:17 AM, Log Haulin said:

I can see why, Caleb and that offense can score points.

I don't know if its been said yet, i haven't been on here much lately,but I have a key to the game I think will be a major factor. Especially late in the season with USC already playing 10 games.

Fatigue. Ducks players have played half the football USC players have played up to this point. USC has been in some exhausting games as of late. They look exhausted both physically and emotionally.

To me, that is a major factor and advantage Oregon. But we will see. Ducks could still lose 

Yeah I agree. I think this is going to go like an exaggerated version of very unevenly match teams where the underdog punches for all they are worth at the beginning of the game taking a lead for a while but then the exhaustion kicks in and you realize it's just been a game of "ropado" to quote Muhammad Ali and the real beating commences.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/9/2023 at 10:29 AM, Darren Perkins said:

Let's be the team that makes Williams retire from college football.

I think he has one left in him after us, ucla.

Then walking the sidelines in El Paso for his "last college" game.

• Haha 1

On 11/9/2023 at 9:50 AM, kirklandduck said:

He maxed out helping us when he left.

• Whew! 1
  • Haha 1
  • Mic drop 2
  • Great post! 2

On 11/9/2023 at 11:54 AM, Steven A said:

He maxed out helping us when he left.

I remember how depressed I felt when Mario left so soon.  Not 'cause he was so good but because it was right on the heels of Taggert's departure and I worried Oregon was gonna be trapped in a revolving-door coaching situation.  If I had known what we were getting in Dan Lanning, I'd been doing handstands and somersaults.  And as everyone on this site has said:  What a trade UP we got!

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 11/9/2023 at 6:16 AM, Haywarduck said:

A throttling Duck D is the key from here on out, IMO. Foot on the throat, start to finish. Choke the opposing offense into submission.

No Mercy.

Edited by woundedknees
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Darren, thanks for the parallel thinking on 8-1 seasons, but I'm seeing apples and oranges in 2023 v 2022.

Offense:

1. Healthy Bo running a more balanced offense that minimizes risk to him.

2. Improved WR skill and depth. 

3. Near elite O-line making up in raw talent what they may lack in experience.

4. Noah W. aside, healthy offense across the board.

Defense:

1. Significantly improved edge and LB play with more pressures, sacks and havoc.

2. Better interior play to stop the run and pressure the QB. Rogers, Taki and Dorlus (when he lines up there) are hard to stop inside.

3. A slight edge to DB and safety play, man on man skills and depth. Even with Gonzo gone, 

4. Did I say depth? Looking across the Pac-12, defensive leaders nearly all have 10-25% higher snap counts and tackles than the Duck 1s. Especially true against U$C (see "Tale of the Tape" article). To me that means a lot less wear and tear late in the season for Oregon.

Special Teams

1. Place kicking is an issue, yes.

2. Punt game dramatically better.

Not saying all this adds up to easily running the table, but the 2023 Ducks have a healthy elite offense paired with a very good, deep and opportunistic defense.

Oregon needs to play to capabilities, minimize penalties and avoid mistakes to win out. Starting tomorrow night.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1