Solar

Don't Run up the Middle on Short Yardage Plays Against ASU

DO NOT RUN UP THE MIDDLE AGAINST ASU FOR SHORT YARDAGE PLAYS.

UCLA was 0 for infinity doing that, and we haven't been doing so hot in that department lately either.

I was also happy to see Dillingham run the swinging gate formation/play during a regular set of downs. Why not?

Edited by Solar
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/13/2023 at 12:34 PM, Solar said:

DO NOT RUN UP THE MIDDLE AGAINST ASU FOR SHORT YARDAGE PLAYS.

UCLA was 0 for infinity doing that, and we haven't been doing so hot in that department lately either.

I was also happy to see Dillingham run the swinging gate formation/play during a regular set of downs. Why not?

I'll give Dillingham a lot of credit, he is doing everything he can to try to get wins, they haven't had the QB talent to really get going, they're down at pretty much every position, they never even had the motivation to get a bowl game, and he's done better than I thought he would considering all the things going against him. 

Not sure if he'll end up as the answer there, but he's at least thinking outside the box.

I wish I had recorded the UCLA-ASU game so I could watch it.  How ASU was able to stop a Chip Kelly offense would be an interesting thing to watch.  Oregon has at times seemed unstoppable, but not all times. Hard to imagine how ASU could upset O but this is the Pac-12 and stranger things have been known to happen. 

As far as offense goes, the Sun Devils did manage 17 points against what we've been hearing as a darn good defense.  To have won this in Pasadena is also interesting.  Kudos to Kenny D. and his team.  But when the Ducks go down to Tempe all good will goes aside.  It's business.

Dilly has had a few good games from his defense this year. Any kind of offense and 1 less mistake and the huskies would be 9-1.

But shoulda, coulda, woulda dont win games.

Over the years the desert has not been kind to our Ducks. Thankfully this game is at 1 pm and not the dreaded PAC after Dark baloney.

Play clean and sharp and keep ASU Defense off balance and lets put up a big number on the scoreboard. Running up the middle should not be a problem for the Ducks. ....

But thats why they play the games!

This would be a good weekend for the Duck D to pitch a shutout.

Go Ducks....beat ASU....

Side note the Big only has 4 teams with a winning record. Talk about east coast bias when ranking Michigan... ..

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/13/2023 at 1:34 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Any kind of offense and 1 less mistake and the huskies would be 9-1.

Or the refs calling PI on a blatant case of PI on a husky defender holding so much jersey it's stretched out and should have been an easy flag for even a newbie ref. 

That gets called there is no pick 6 and ASU probably hangs on to win. 

Huskies are a lucky team. They're good... But they are undefeated through luck right now. 

I have a feeling that luck is about to wear out. 

• Thumbs Up 3

One thing is for sure, last few games, on 3rd and 1, 4th and 1, we use the Tight End/Jumbo whatever, and we've been stuffed on it several times.  Line up with it, then run something to the edge, have an pitch option, RPO with those bunched TE's leaking out, something.  Everyone knows it's coming, and even USuC's weak D stopped it...penalty saved us on one of them.  Cal stuffed it too I think?  Right up the middle is reminiscent of Mari's pistol plunges that failed all too often.  Surely Stein has better options?  With our talent?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/13/2023 at 2:04 PM, JDuck said:

Everyone knows it's coming, and even USuC's weak D stopped it...penalty saved us on one of them.  Cal stuffed it too I think?

The alignment of that nose guard being right over JPJ was probably enough that there was not forward motion possible to drive the pile. I would say at the very least the player being offside was the factor that stopped that play. If it was any other player being offside I'd agree and say we were bailed out due to a penalty but in this case the location of the offside absolutely affected the outcome of the play.

I do think that we were probably half a yard too far from that play being a safe go ahead though, it works well if its 1 yard or less and we needed 2 so it felt a little far. Then again... I've seen Nix get 3-4 on a QB sneak with the right push.

Then we used the Jumbo formation against Cal twice at the goal line and both were successful touchdowns.

However, we should absolutely start mixing it up a bit. Some variations we have seen before with the jumbo package can be seen in my article below.

FISHDUCK.COM

As Oregon fans, we heard all about physicality from former HC Mario Cristobal over the last four years. Cristobal is gone now...

We absolutely need to see more variation in this package because it is getting too predictable. However, that predictability opens up everything else that can come out of this package as well. I personally love it when a TE sneaks behind the defense and Nix just tosses him the ball for an easy TD/conversion.

• Thumbs Up 3

Philly Tush Push

Everybody who has seen film the last 23 games of the DL era knows what's coming.

If Bo is lined up under center isn't it a high probability that the sneak is coming?

Recognized tendencies can and will be seen by more coaches than the uw head coach.

The last thing i want to see is the franchise QB at the bottom of 1500 to 2000 pounds of big bodies.

I agree that more options should be available in this situation.....

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Mr predictable is now in Miami. I can’t believe that Stein hasn’t done his homework and will get a little more creative. What’s that old saying, fool me once…..

On 11/13/2023 at 2:34 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Over the years the desert has not been kind to our Ducks.

I've heard that comment from many Duck fans over the years, but it never quite set right with me. Therefore, I had to waste a few minutes and look it up. Why? Because I'm a stats Nerd. 

Since 2000:

- At Arizona State, Oregon is 8-3.

- At Arizona, Oregon is 7-2.

So while our Ducks had better not underestimate or overlook this Sun Devil team on Saturday, in reality, the desert has been 73% & 70%, respectively, good to our Ducks for almost the last quarter-century. 

And it's time to take that Tempe stat to 9-3 since 2000.

Edited by Desert Duck
  • Thumbs Up 3

The few losses we have incurred in the desert seem to be memorable because some of those losses derailed some Duck Top 5 teams.

Like the injury to our amazing QB at Arizona or being #3 and losing to ASU.  Not so much the quantity of defeats but the outcome.

To me Alabama and Georgia dont lose to teams they are expected to beat.....neither should the Ducks.

This week ASU could be a trap game for our Ducks. DL and staff seem to keep the players on point, so far.

They should shut out ASU and put up 45 plus points. And TT should be in the game all 2nd half.

• Thumbs Up 1

Stein vs. Dillingham.  This should be interesting.

The problem with these short yardage situations are offenses taking entirely too much time to allow defenses to substitute and get set including calling timeouts.  It's like they're trying to calculate the velocity to orbit the moon in between plays.  It shouldn't be this hard.

3rd and 1, 4th and 1 is not a surprise.  It's going to happen multiple times a game.  Teams should have plays prepared ahead of time for each personnel grouping that can be run as soon as the ball is set.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/13/2023 at 5:01 PM, Desert Duck said:

I've heard that comment from many Duck fans over the years, but it never quite set right with me. Therefore, I had to waste a few minutes and look it up. Why? Because I'm a stats Nerd. 

Since 2000:

- At Arizona State, Oregon is 8-3.

- At Arizona, Oregon is 7-2.

Sorry... meant to say at Arizona is 7-3. Not 7-2.

On 11/13/2023 at 6:08 PM, Mic said:

Stein vs. Dillingham.  This should be interesting.

Actually, it will be Stein and his crew vs. Dillingham and his crew.

Still interesting, but not a fair fight.

If they are playing well and together, this is the best OL that ASU will play against this season.

Good point as I am always a fan of running around the pile for short yardage plays, because it's simple math.   But we will have to see how they respond to our OL as Jon pointed out.  Dan is not as stubborn as MariNo about it, that's for sure.

Gotta record this game: there's bound to be some very interesting and new playmaking going on 'twixt these two offensive staffs.  I look forward to Charles, Coach Boles & Darren Perkins breaking down parts of this one.

Edited by Mic
  • Thumbs Up 1

From Addicted to Quack:

However, when examining their playtype defensive success rates, there’s a big spike in effectiveness at a certain play, which happens to be the most common rushing play in the Pac-12: simple inside zone. That’s because the best defensive players they have are the big tackles Fite and Mallory, and opposing lines just can’t move them when zone blocking, even with combos, and the light but aggressive linebackers can quickly knife in while the OL are occupied with those combo blocks and get TFLs.”

Yep, it’s the one defensive play ASU is good at.

This sounds similar to what we faced against Texas Tech. They had two really big, strong, stout defenders in the middle, which made inside zone read plays difficult.

To wear them out and play to the weaknesses, we threw a ton of plays of passes to running backs out of the backfield, after sending the wide receivers down the field to open up a hole  in the zone pass defense.

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck