Charles Fischer

Jonathan Smith...STAY With the Beavers!

I am not real impressed with what I see of the B1G, as they are top-heavy with two good teams, and a pronounced lack of depth beyond there.  What Coach Smith has done at Oregon State with few blue-chippers is amazing.  If he did that at Michigan State--they would immediately jump to the top five in that huge conference.

And we would have to play him AGAIN.

C'mon Oregon State...pony up what is needed to retain him, because you KNOW you will look like the Trailer-Trash that you are, without him.  Your only chance at the Playoff later is with him, and yes--your budget is toast, but it will be worse without him.

And I don't want that smart SOB in the B1G.

Oregon State AD: Retaining Jonathan Smith 'my No. 1 priority' | theScore.com

• Oh no! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

From what I keep seeing year after year is that the B1G is pretty awful after Ohio State and Michigan. I think Penn State was overrated this year, sure they are a top 25 team but not top 15, they lack an offense.

Wisconsin should be good again at some point but they may be a year or two away from being relevant. But who else do they have?

The Pac-12 has been the most competitive and entertaining conference for the last decade easily. We haven't been the best conference or produced any National Champions granted, but in terms of top to bottom and competitiveness there hasn't been a conference that has competed in that department. Sad to see it go but there is still one more game to be played for the Ducks.

The B1G just doesn't look as good from a top to bottom in terms of competitiveness. It will make Oregon's entry into the conference certainly interesting because the Ducks are going to mess up their entire dynamic.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

We are only guessing where is heart is.

If he is looking to upgrade his future he is surely gone. 

If he is as loyal as I think he is he will be a Beavus as long as I’m alive.

I want him to stay along with many of the players because I am sick and tired of hearing the beaver fans whine and complain about how the end of the world is coming. This is almost always followed by its Oregon's fault.

The problem is those who play the victim seldom do well. The beaver faithful need to grow up and do the best with the hand that was dealt, mainly from their own doing. 

OSU is a decent school, but right now they deserve better fans.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Agree totally with Mr. FishDuck on this.  Jonathan Smith is a Duck nemesis.  I have animosity toward the fine gentleman ever since a crappy November night in Corvallis in 1998.

Well, if you watch his press conference from last night at about 2 minutes in he's asked about the Michigan State job. He answered in an incredibly evasive way that basically said, "Well, there's too much uncertainty with the Pac-2 for both my players and myself." (That was summarizing him).

That guy is gone. Who knows if it's to MSU or not.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/25/2023 at 7:37 AM, Haywarduck said:

This is almost always followed by its Oregon's fault

I heard that last night from Fougs and Beavis fans! How OBD should have taken them with UW...because they shouldn't be left behind.

The entitlement that was spewing out of their mouths was sickening. I said at least WSU invested in football before last year. That entitlement carries over to the money they want to steal from the rest of the pac.

I hope Smith goes to MSU! Then the Beavis will totally implode into obscurity they way their school administration strategies led them.

On 11/25/2023 at 8:58 AM, WaterPoloDuck said:

He answered in an incredibly evasive way that basically said, "Well, there's too much uncertainty with the Pac-2 for both my players and myself."

What I basically heard from Smith is: "Show me the money, and I'm outta here."

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/25/2023 at 9:35 AM, criticalduck said:

I heard that last night from Fougs and Beavis fans! How OBD should have taken them with UW...because they shouldn't be left behind.

The entitlement that was spewing out of their mouths was sickening. I said at least WSU invested in football before last year. That entitlement carries over to the money they want to steal from the rest of the pac.

I hope Smith goes to MSU! Then the Beavis will totally implode into obscurity they way their school administration strategies led them.

Sad-Sad Beavers

1. First, you wake up one morning to find that everyone, except you and some school East of the Cascades, have evacuated our beloved conference.

2. You realize that you and some school east of the Cascades are left holding the conference remnant in a wet paper bag.

3. You then realize that you are an absolutely innocent victim (of course), and naturally, it's everyone else's fault... especially that evil school 50 miles down the road... along with some dude named "Phil."

4. You then realize that your next best move is to incessantly blame said evil school down the road that has helped carry your program for decades --- for all of your problems since about forever.

5. You then are forced to the cold realization -- after extensive and nearly perpetual blaming, incessant whining, crying, and moaning -- that no other real conference in the world wants you.

6. You then realize that there is a Plan B option: The "PAC-2" -- and thereby proceed to Step #7.

7. Attempt to pirate, steal, and rob, the remaining cash in the former PAC-12 checking account... all while still blaming said evil school 50 miles down the road... and "Phil" -- but now also mixing in the other 9 semi-evil schools... who also helped carry you for decades.

8. Play said evil school 50 miles down the road in the final official Civil War game.

9. Get your lunch, and dinner (it was a late game) handed to you in final Civil War game, followed by once again by the aforementioned blaming of said evil school 50 miles down the road (and of course, that dude named "Phil").

10. Wake up the following morning to  discover that your most excellent head coach, who is also a Beaver alum, is more than likely about to abandon you as well... and join said evil program 50 miles down the road in the B1G powerhouse conference. 

11. Repeat the extensive and nearly perpetual blaming, incessant whining, crying, and moaning, ad infinitum.

The end. And have a nice day. 

Jonathan Smith reportedly has taken the job. 

• Haha 1
  • Mic drop 1

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

Smith was 34-35 during his six-year tenure at OSU and led the program to its third 10-win season in school history

On 11/25/2023 at 11:27 AM, kirklandduck said:

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

Smith was 34-35 during his six-year tenure at OSU and led the program to its third 10-win season in school history

Sad-Sad Beavers

10. Wake up the following morning to discover that your most excellent head coach, who is also a Beaver alum, is more than likely about to abandon you as well... and join said evil program 50 miles down the road in the B1G powerhouse conference. 

11. Repeat the extensive and nearly perpetual blaming, incessant whining, crying, and moaning, ad infinitum.

The next domino is Deboer going to A&M! OBD to the Rose Bowl!!

On 11/25/2023 at 10:37 AM, Haywarduck said:

I want him to stay along with many of the players because I am sick and tired of hearing the beaver fans whine and complain about how the end of the world is coming. This is almost always followed by its Oregon's fault.

The problem is those who play the victim seldom do well. The beaver faithful need to grow up and do the best with the hand that was dealt, mainly from their own doing. 

OSU is a decent school, but right now they deserve better fans.

Lol..Im on one of their forums.  They are in shambles.  Lol

If they didnt talk like the world owes them for everyone leaving, I would have sympathy.  The fanbase is disrespectful as hell

That's a big blow to Oregon State's program.  I wouldn't be surprised if there is a mass exodus of players in the transfer portal, some of whom may follow Smith to MSU.

• Thumbs Up 1

While very happy with the win last night I am still impressed with the level of play JS gets out of his limited talent pool.  The Ducks are so much deeper than OSU has ever been (may be deeper than O has ever been) that it's an overmatch OSU just can't win.  But, boy, are they a game bunch and they did effectively slow and almost stop the run game.  They just couldn't stop both the run and the pass. 

When Smith goes to a team that can stack him with talent like Oregon, watch out!

Edited by Mic
  • Thumbs Up 3

If Oregon State were financially responsible, they should assume that they will get no better than Mountain West annual revenue and pay a coach in line of what Boise State, Fresno State and other non-Power 5 programs have typically paid their head coach and assistants.  It appears that's somewhere been $1 and $2 million per year for a head football coach.

Edited by OregonDucks
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/25/2023 at 10:48 AM, OregonDucks said:

If Oregon State were financially responsible, they should assume that they will get no better than Mountain West annual revenue and pay a coach in line of what Boise State, Fresno State and other programs have typically paid their head coach and assistants.  

Now that Smith is leaving, they may be forced to dial back financially - unless - they get extremely lucky and land their own version of Dan Lanning.  But, even then things will be tough for the Beavers due to their difficulty in recruiting enough talent to compete with the better schools like Oregon.  And when they do get some great players, the transfer portal is always there to see them jumps ship to a better program.

The Beaver future at this moment is looking a little bleak.

It sucks being a fan of a program where you can't even enjoy having massive success. You just know your coach is gonna be at the top of every other programs wish list. It's rare to have a guy like Whittingham stay at a place like Utah for years.

Oregon State fans feel like they've been dumped twice this year. First by Oregon, now with Smith. If they can't keep a Beaver graduate, who can they keep?

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/25/2023 at 11:20 AM, GatOrlando said:

If they can't keep a Beaver graduate, who can they keep?

How about the most determined fans in all of college football? No other fan base has ever had to grind it out for 24 straight losing seasons. That’s at least something for them to build on.

On 11/25/2023 at 12:32 PM, Washington Waddler said:

How about the most determined fans in all of college football? No other fan base has ever had to grind it out for 24 straight losing seasons. That’s at least something for them to build on.

I went on one of their boards to gage their sentiments. Mind you it's fresh news. But Smith is now a money-chasing mutt. He's not wanted to coach the bowl game.

One message went something like this " Smith is a spineless merchant. A LIAR!! HE MUST ENJOY BEING OREGON'S KICKBALL!! GOOD RIDDANCE TO THAT TRASHCAN! HE CAN BITE A ROCK".

They also have a rather unique name for Oregon. I won't say it here, but you can likely imagine what it is.. Makes me appreciate the civility of this board. 

BTW, one poster blames all this on Oregon😂

https://bennyshouse.com/thread/25445/forget-who-caused

Edited by GatOrlando
  • Wow 1

On 11/25/2023 at 12:32 PM, Washington Waddler said:

From 1971-1998, 28 straight OSU losing seasons.

Although, the Ducks were only slightly better through many of those Dark Age years. 

• Thanks 1