CO Duck

Is Camden Lewis Broken?

It seems like Camden Lewis is broken. He has only made 62.5% of his field goals this year, which is the worst of his career. He’s only made 50% of his field goal attempts since the Washington game. During that period, he is 2/7 (28.5%) on field goal attempts of 30+ yards. He also frequently sends kickoffs out of bounds. I understand he is the leading points scorer in Oregon history, but it’s very apparent he has the yips. Oregon has some tough games ahead, and the kicking game might prove to be the deciding factor in those games. Is it time for DL to bench Camden for the #1 kicker in the 2023 class? This is a special team and it would be a travesty to squander the season over loyalty to a broken kicker.

IMG_2595.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 2

Yes.  He's 50/50 at this point.

Do you want to replace him going into CCG with a true freshman? 50/50 says might as well. Camden is toast and the pressure only gets greater from here.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 11/25/2023 at 12:46 PM, Log Haulin said:

Do you want to replace him going into CCG with a true freshman? 50/50 says might as well. Camden is toast and the pressure only gets greater from here.

I'm not sure what the right call is here.  Perhaps Lanning should have had the true freshman kick the 2nd kick in the Oregon State game or replaced Camden weeks ago, when we all saw that he had the case of the yips.

I will not criticize Dan Lanning for going for it on 4th down deep in an opponent's territory, as I'm sure that he has more confidence in Bo Nix and our offense than Camden Lewis.

• Applause 1

The thing is in sure Lewis is practicing the best out of everyone in terms of kicking. But that's not translating to the game and it really needs to. 

Knowing nothing about the other kickers I would want to bench Lewis but I also know that I know nothing about the other kickers. 

So I will default to trusting Lanning because he knows what is going on. 

• Thumbs Up 2

He is cracked, but hopefully not broken. Sounds like our back-up kicker is broken for now.

Anyone know when Boyle gets off the injury list?

Until then I think we suffer from fragile kicker syndrome. That can be terminal, but hopefully will only create non life threatening symptoms.

I also think Lanning got Boyle because he wanted an automatic kicker, or at least a choice if Camden did what he is doing. Unfortunately Lanning has to ride this storm out.

On 11/25/2023 at 1:27 PM, CO Duck said:

Is it time for DL to bench Camden for the #1 kicker in the 2023 class? 

In Dan, I trust. 

But yes, he is currently broken. 

Edited by Desert Duck

He’s not even 50/50 at this point, at least not from outside 30 yards or anywhere that isn’t dead center. I’m not sure a backup could do much worse. 

I feel bad for the kid. He’s been around the program for a long time and has obviously scored a lot of points for the Ducks. But he’s a huge liability right now. Field goals and field position will be critically important in the PAC 12 championship game and the CFP. 

I would maintain it is less the 'yips' and more a technical issue with either his left foot plant or the angle his right foot is hitting the ball. Lewis is consistently pushing the ball right on his FG attempts and even on his PATs. Like a golfer that is struggling with a slice because of club head position at the strike.

I'm sure his confidence to hit the ball square is shaken, but if he can correct the mechanics, he'll improve. Maybe it's because there isn't a good alternative but Lanning seems to be willing to stay with him for now. We fans will have to as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

Have Bo Nix practice place kicking this week to pad his Heisman argument in the CC game.

Yes, I'm kidding.

• Haha 1

Lanning’s loyalty, in my view, is to the best chance of winning. 

Don't hand off up the middle and put yourself in 4th down.  Score TDs, and do it on 1st and 2nd down.  Camden is great on extra points, let him get 7-8 per game!

• Haha 1

At this point I don't trust him in any critical situations, whether it's kicking FGs or punting. He's been terrible at both and it'll endanger the Ducks chances to get into the CFP.

I don't think coach Lanning's loyalty is such he would jeopardize a win for any one person.

My guess is they don't have a good enough replacement for Cam.

So, I think our best bet as fans is to send Mr Lewis positive vibes in any way, shape or form we can.

He is what we got, so someone send him your lucky rabbits foot.

• Thumbs Up 1

doesn't seem like his coaching is working 'real good'.

pretty sure things will work out, hopefully soon!

• Thumbs Up 1

My assumption has been that when Cam kicks it out of bounds he is tactically aiming for the corner to try to limit the field in front of the possible return. It hasn’t worked, especially when Cam kicks it out of bounds. If I’m mistaken, here, and Cam simply cannot kick the ball into the field of play on a kickoff, he has no business being on the field. Time to give the freshman a run and plan for four down territory anything more than thirty yards out. 

I really feel for the kid, and especially the team. 

But right now, I feel like the odds of us making a field goal are just slightly higher than my odds at a craps table in Vegas. 

But I'm still hopeful that whatever switch needs to get flipped in Cam's head, happens by Friday. 

Agreed that Lewis appears to be mentally shot. Like all good athletes who go through slumps, he is capable of turning it around. How about this Friday? I know we have a strength and conditioning coach, do we have a mental conditioning coach?

I just saw him on last weeks coaches show and he seemed arrogant. Bench him. Hes done.

• Haha 1

We're all worried about Camden's kicking and all hoping it doesn't come down to a last minute kick again like in Seattle.  That said, as we all worry - about that time Camden comes in and makes an unbelievable kick no one is expecting him to make.

That's often the way football goes.  GO OREGON!

Moving forward, this is probably my single biggest area of concern for this team. Big Charles has a great saying about greatness showing early. If any remember CL's first year, he struggled with even making extra points (let alone chip shot field goals) despite all of his high school accolades and the promise of a big leg. It became obvious even then that Lewis had the physical attributes for the position, but not the mental.

Unfortunately its deja vu this season, and now the problem is acute, given the stage and the stakes. No way to sugar coat it, the kid is mentally cooked. He's even become a liability on kickoffs given his inability to reliably keep his kicks in the field of play. If I'm Coach Dan'L, I wouldn't trust him from 30 yards if its a pressure kick to tie or win a game, and that pretty much changes your whole red zone strategy.

Yeesh! How did we get here at this most critical juncture of the season? Couldn't it have been addressed earlier, like during a bye week? Coaches must know by now that despite all his practice highlights he's not capable of transferring any of that to game day. Is it now too late to make a change?  And if you don't (or if you do!!) will it ultimately cost us a game and derail a dream season? Damn, what a mess!

We brought in Boyle to compete against Lewis, but he is hurt. I imagine they don't want to ruin the freshman, Meadors a 6* kicker?, by putting too much pressure on him just out of high school. 

I guess it comes down to we have a kicker who is broken and the dawgs have a qb who is broken. I would rather have a kicker who is broken any day.

If Meadors does come in for a field goal it is over for Lewis. Looks like Meadors is 4-4 on extra point attempts this year so they have had him out there a bit.

On 11/26/2023 at 12:16 PM, AlaskaDuck said:

My assumption has been that when Cam kicks it out of bounds he is tactically aiming for the corner to try to limit the field in front of the possible return. It hasn’t worked, especially when Cam kicks it out of bounds. If I’m mistaken, here, and Cam simply cannot kick the ball into the field of play on a kickoff, he has no business being on the field. Time to give the freshman a run and plan for four down territory anything more than thirty yards out. 

I have assumed the same. Personally I'm from the school of thought to kick it high to the 5 yard line to bait the runner into taking it out. Analytics should show you fair catch it every time unless you need a miracle.