Steven A

Ultimate Irony, Can-You-Believe-It?

FIRST OFF, remember to keep your comments civil and within Forum Rules!

Brenda Tracy, the victim of sexual assault/violence at Oregon St in 1998, is the root of the reason Michigan State's coach is fired.

And now, Oregon St loses its best coach in years to the dumpster fire that is Michigan St.

I'm not going to call if karma or anything else as Brenda should not have had to suffer either indignity.

I'm just extremely pleased that she has been able to do so much good from such EVIL.

• Salute 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

The connections, the twists, are mind-bending.

giphy.gif

• Oh no! 1
  • Haha 1
  • Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

Crazy.

Et tu, J Smith?

Smitty jumped on the B1G life raft. He did not believe the Pac-2 was ever going to piece together a conference to have P5 status and he opted for the P4. Smart man.

Michigan State does not have a bad history, Sparty made the PO the season it defeated Oregon in E. Lansing.

Smith knows how to develop lesser recruits. I think he is a perfect hire for MSU. And he comes on board when Michigan is losing its top RB, WR, 4 starting OL guys, and its 2 best players on D. And will Harbaugh be there?

I'm a bit surprised that Smith didn't wait to see if the UCLA job would open up. In 6 seasons in Westwood, Kelly is .500, and in paying the first of the Calimony payments on Saturday, he opened the way for Cal to go bowling and in the process saved Justin Wilcox's job.

Considering the OOC competition and with UCLA missing both Oregon and UW this was as bad as Kelly could have done. Future 'star QB' Moore threw 2 more INTs and finished with 8 for the season before the bowl game. The goodwill from the SC win was lost on Saturday.

How can 2 teams in LA play this badly?

• Thumbs Up 1

Michigan State is also the place where they did nothing to stop the sports doctor that molested the entire US Gymnastics team after doing the same to the MSU gymnastics team for years if I remember correctly.

• Oh no! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The irony is when Mariø left, Beavs fan piled on. Called Ducks stepping stone. "We got our guy for life" they said.

Lol... have fun in the Big Sky Beavus. Losers.

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

Couple of things have struck me about this whole thing with Smith. It seems he is not who we thought he was and unfortunately I think OS fans are coming to that realization too. There is a video of him making the rounds on twitter where he openly says he knew he was leaving awhile back.  Not gonna link it but it is easy to find. 

First thing is apparently no one told him it's not a good idea to burn a bridge.  I get the coaching world is different than the jobs we all have but still never burning a bridge is a good thing to keep in mind.  The second thing that seemed odd to me was when he did the interview with Canzano and said his agent was checking things out (not his exact words but close) he showed his hand.  Again we all know how Canzano is when he gets nuggets like that.  Seems the correct response to John would have been something along the lines of ' I am focused on the task at hand and that is the game against Oregon'.  Can't imagine who his players felt when they heard that.  

I totally get the frustration of the OS fans and as Ducks we can certainly relate having endured Slick Willy and Mario.  The net is all these guys lied.   I hope Dan is seeing all this.   I am guessing he is.

Michigan State is also a land grant agricultural college. It was the first agricultural college in the country. It is the second best college in Michigan, much like OSU is in Oregon.

I would say he made a decent choice in moving up, definitely bet he is making more money. In this day and age his contract will probably set him up for life, and even if he fails, he will now know if his shtick stands up at the next level up. I can respect that!

I could see him coming back to the beavs, and they would take him back any day, anyway. Riley led the way with successful beav coaches, leave the safety of corvallis, and then come back with that big ugly tail between your legs.

Unknown.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1

The 2024 Beavers are ranked No. 1......

in talent entering the portal

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/27/2023 at 8:21 AM, Augduck said:

Couple of things have struck me about this whole thing with Smith. It seems he is not who we thought he was and unfortunately I think OS fans are coming to that realization too. There is a video of him making the rounds on twitter where he openly says he knew he was leaving awhile back.  Not gonna link it but it is easy to find. 

First thing is apparently no one told him it's not a good idea to burn a bridge.  I get the coaching world is different than the jobs we all have but still never burning a bridge is a good thing to keep in mind.  The second thing that seemed odd to me was when he did the interview with Canzano and said his agent was checking things out (not his exact words but close) he showed his hand.  Again we all know how Canzano is when he gets nuggets like that.  Seems the correct response to John would have been something along the lines of ' I am focused on the task at hand and that is the game against Oregon'.  Can't imagine who his players felt when they heard that.  

I totally get the frustration of the OS fans and as Ducks we can certainly relate having endured Slick Willy and Mario.  The net is all these guys lied.   I hope Dan is seeing all this.   I am guessing he is.

How did Jonathan Smith lie?

I’m not on Twitter, or X, but if he in fact made those comments, he was telling the truth, not lying.

And when he commented to Canzano that his agent was checking things out, wasn’t that the truth?

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/27/2023 at 1:10 PM, DUCKED said:

How did Jonathan Smith lie?

I’m not on Twitter, or X, but if he in fact made those comments, he was telling the truth, not lying.

And when he commented to Canzano that his agent was checking things out, wasn’t that the truth?

When HC's are in play do not expect complete honesty, especially in the midst of negotiation.

Saint Nick was never going to leave LSU for the Dolphins and was never going to leave the Dolphins for Alabama.

And replying with 'no comment' will not work when you have a bowl game to play and perhaps, need to keep your players out of the portal. Along with assistant coaches, I expect a number of Beavers players will follow J. Smith to E. Lansing.

• Thumbs Up 1

It seems the safe answer to questions about leaving a program is, "I love it here."

Followup questions to be answered with questions. "Why would I leave?" "Do you know something I don't know?" Etc.

Just saying something, without really saying anything.

On 11/27/2023 at 9:21 AM, Augduck said:

There is a video of him making the rounds on twitter where he openly says he knew he was leaving awhile back. 

When did Smith say this? A month ago, two months ago? I would really like to see the link to him saying this, and know what date it was.

Because, let's face it, one month in college football today is a long time, especially with all that has been changing in the Pac-12.

But I don't understand why you are suggesting that he lied. Perhaps people just can't handle the truth which is that every coach in the land who has an agent, has an agent who is listening to all inquiries from colleges looking to hire a head coach. The fact that this appears to be news to anybody, is a bit bizarre to me.

Comparing Smith's honest comment to that of Slick Willy or Mario, is unreasonable, inaccurate, and incongruent.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/27/2023 at 8:52 AM, Log Haulin said:

The irony is when Mariø left, Beavs fan piled on. Called Ducks stepping stone. "We got our guy for life" they said.

First of all, they're Beaver fans... so, in other words, they're dumb. 

Second of all, as we all know, nobody has got any coach for life anymore. But, since they are Beaver fans, which means that they're dumb, they may have actually believed the tripe that they spewed. 

Edited by Desert Duck
  • Mic drop 1

Regarding the OSU-MSU irony, what goes around, comes around. Where else would it roost?

Regarding Smith's departure, I really don’t see much difference between his move and when Chip left Oregon. Both struck while the iron was hot, and neither of them were making promises they wouldn’t keep. I’ve never understood holding coaches to some high-minded, moralistic standard that the majority of us wouldn’t keep.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't think Johnathan Smith ever lied about his feelings about Oregon State.  He was a Beaver from the bottoms of his feet to the top of his head.  And I think he'd still be the HC there now if it weren't for the whole fiasco with the end of the Pac-12.  

With just them and WSU left and not even a single game scheduled yet for next season, with the future of both programs completely up in the air like it is, who wouldn't want to jump at a chance like MSU?  He'd been crazy not to take the job.  

I fully expect I'm gonna lose my gentleman's bet with LogHaulin.  OSU does look like it's gonna fade into FBS irrelevancy - unless somehow their AD pulls off some sort of miracle and finds a great replacement for Smith.  But good luck with that for all the reasons stated above.

I started to pay more attention to the MSU situation when I saw Brenda Tracy's name because of the connection to OSU. 

I did read one unflattering story that insinuated Tracy's foundation and Tracy herself were hurting for cash.  There were some texts between Tracy and another person that seemed rather incriminating to me. 

I waited for more of the story to come out, but it's been strangely silent since then. Between recorded calls and texts there is no question that Mel Tucker willfully participated in his own demise. But?.............

If I get some time this afternoon, I'll try and find the original story and link to it.  I don't want to post innuendo or speculation.  Especially, if it calls a person's reputation into question.  But it was a published story.

• Cool 1