QuackAttack

Transfer Portal QB Questions…

Yahoo Sports is reporting that Dillon Gabriel has been offered a transfer portal offer from Oregon. Also Dante Moore has been offered. I get the fact that Gabriel lit it up at OU last year, but why pull the string on a guy with one year left. Moore, now that makes sense. He was a commit last year and flipped. He has 3 years left and would absolutely have 2 years minimum playing time. Is there any logical reason DL/WS would want a QB with only one year of eligibility left? I am baffled.  

One of the most valuable assets on offense is a veteran QB.

A one and done QB may not sound great, but a veteran QB who was among the top 5 QBs in the nation sounds pretty good to me. 

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 7

I agree on the one and done scenario. It would be much better to get at least two years like we did with Bo. But you play the cards you're dealt. A seasoned one and done will be more productive next year vs a Soph with 1 year of experience. 

Big money on the line and the best bang for the buck is Gabriel. Interesting point to ponder is this is TT's 3rd QB transition situation where he's being passed over. Is he just not that good?

You would think that after following Brown and then Bo for two years he'd be ready to take over the job. 

• Thumbs Up 1

If Oregon can get both, it creates a potentially nasty competition in the quarterback room, plus a huge learning and development tool for the younger guys. 

Whoever emerges as QB1 is gonna be deadly, IMO.

• Thumbs Up 2

I use to dislike the idea of getting a player with only one year of eligibility but the world of college football has changed.

I now prefer that Oregon get the most talented players available each year. Even if it is only for one year.

Fortunately, Oregon is attractive to elite players like Gabriel.

I have confidence in Lanning's ability to determine if he needs to recruit someone for one year or promote from within.

Without Gabriel we would enter our first year in the B1G with an unproven QB.

With Gabriel we have an elite QB for our very important first season in the B1G.

• Thumbs Up 1

Gabriel or Moore?

Gabriel for sure.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 12/7/2023 at 11:21 AM, DUCKED said:

Gabriel or Moore?

Why not both if we could get them, but might be asking too much.

I like Ty and his development. It's obvious he's made great strides between his prior time at Oregon and this season. But has he made enough of a leap to give us confidence that he can lead this team to a B1G championship? What bothers me is the same thing another member remarked on the other day, his body language. To me he doesn't exude confidence. You can be a quiet leader and still show confidence in your abilities (Justin Herbert).

Gabriel is a baller through and through. He comes across as a combination of Vernon Adams and Bo Nix. He's definitely a guy who can amp the team up when the game is on the line and get a little extra juice out of all the guys to do what's needed. If Ty can't compete at that level then we have our answer at starter.

Moore seems like he's been taken down a peg or two in the arrogance category and sees the value of development. I said in an earlier post that if he was willing to swallow that pill and allow himself to be built the proper way then I think there is absolutely a place on the team for him. We wanted him to begin with.

Edited by Babyjesus615
  • Thumbs Up 1

A one and done?

Caleb Williams

2022:  333 of 500, 4,537 yds, 42 TDs  (11-3 team)

2023:  266 of 388, 3,333 yds, 30 TDs (7-5 team)

Would any USC fan be unhappy if Williams had been one and done?

If Gabriel transfers in, and it seems probable he will, TT likely hits the portal. So bringing in Moore would be with the understanding he's the #2 and heir apparent. Novosad at #3. 

Moore has a special skillet. He's had a rough start at the college level , and the Chipper did him no favors at UCLA but there is so much raw talent there that he will be elite for someone. He was fantastic in the 2023 All American Bowl, throwing for 3 TDs in the first half for the East team. Novosad started for the West and looked overwhelmed.

If Moore doesn't transfer to Oregon, TT might stick around thru spring to see if he can compete for the starting job. If Gabriel wins the QB1 role, TT would almost surely enter the portal in that late May 1-15 window. If Moore comes in, I can't imagine TT staying past the close of the portal on Jan 2. This is all conjecture but it seems pretty plausible. 

I think it all adds up to DL and staff having some faith in Thompson's ability to lead Stein's offense into the B1G next year, but not enough to just hand the reins to him. Adding Gabriel and Moore pretty much lets us all know that the faith in TT is thin.

• Thumbs Up 1

2024 Quarterback Outlook: Ducks with several options going into Big Ten debut

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

The Oregon Ducks have an open QB1 spot going into their Big Ten debut in 2024, with many options to choose from.

Moore stated he wanted to go where he would be developed. A year behind Gabriel would do exactly that. 

If both come to Oregon, Lanning needs to man up and let Ty know the moment he finds out. Ty deserves at least that. I have no doubt Lanning will go all in for making sure Ty is in a good situation 

If I was a 5* QB in todays reality i would go to a mid major for 2 years and play. Hit TP and cash checks.

Edited by Log Haulin
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 12/7/2023 at 11:01 AM, Log Haulin said:

Moore stated he wanted to go where he would be developed. A year behind Gabriel would do exactly that. 

If both come to Oregon, Lanning needs to man up and let Ty know the moment he finds out. Ty deserves at least that. I have no doubt Lanning will go all in for making sure Ty is in a good situation 

If I was a 5* QB in todays reality i would go to a mid major for 2 years and play. Hit TP and cash checks.

I surmise that Moore really means that wants to be developed *while* he starts...so I doubt he'll come to Oregon to sit behind Gabriel.  

OBD bringing in just Gabriel is the most likely scenario, I just don't know if TT will stick around for that at this point.  Feels like a 50/50 shot he'll go into the portal and Novasad becomes QB2 by default.

• Thumbs Up 4

I think if Moore wanted to sit and develop he would have gone to the Ducks in the first place.

• Thumbs Up 3

I’m guessing Moore hit the portal to find a destination where he will start. It looks like negotiations with Gabriel are in the advanced stages. If Gabriel chooses Oregon, I’d be really surprised to see Moore also come to Oregon. In truth, competing with and learning from someone like Gabriel would be great to help Moore develop, but I sense that the kind of development he’s looking for comes along with him being the starter.

I personally am not comfortable with Moore coming here, as I believe in the young QB room we currently have, or coming for developing, and Gabriel as a band-aid.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Florida State is being talked about a lot for Moore as is the home-state Michigan.

He was out of his element in year one. On him or Chip and the Bruins staff? He did get the opportunity to start a few games for UCLA and he was a turnover machine. 

Jalen Hurts, as a one and done, transferred from Alabama to Oklahoma and took them to the final four bcs. So, it can work. As for TT, I have wonder what’s going on behind closed doors. He has yet to demonstrate he can see the field at the college level. I cant imagine he’s been promised anything. But he might as well stick around because there is no marquis program that will take him, based on his performance so far. Just for playing time, though,  he might do well to go for a lesser program and try to develop there. Anyway, no doubt Oregon will sign Dante Moore if they can. 

Edited by AlaskaDuck

On 12/7/2023 at 1:41 PM, AlaskaDuck said:

He has yet to demonstrate he can see the field at the college level.

Ty Thompson does have a 77% completion percentage. Limited snaps, I get it but that demonstrates an ability to see the field imo.

Even Bo has locked onto a reciever and threw a bad ball. On one play Bo locked in and missed a wide open Bryant that would have converted on 4th down. Oregon lost that game and had he found Bryant Ducks go victory formation.

We as fans see a fraction of what all of these players do. We only get Saturday's. 99.9% of Thompsons work has been done in closed practices, the locker room and the film room.

If the coaches think a more game time experienced QB is what they want or need, I support that. They would know much more than me about it. 

It appears that what TT needs is snap count. If Ducks take Dillon, TT will run out of eligibility before he sees the field. Times up for Ty and it would be foolish for him to stick around. I hope Lanning has the integrity to tell him as much.

• Thumbs Up 1

Officially neither qb has been offered by Oregon. However it appears they have because Dillon is visiting. 

Ty has great potential, but is unproven. Gabriel is experienced and proven.

As stated previously, an experienced qb is probably the single most important position for wins.

Lanning was hired to get wins and a Natty. Bringing in someone like Gabriel helps towards achieving that.

Ty Thompson, Austin Novosad, incoming Luke Moga are great talents. However, your qb room is never "good enough".

On TT transferring, that is a great question for him. He needs playing time to develop, as all qb's do. There is no guarantee he gets that by leaving. He has spent the last 2 years learning the Oregon offense, to go elsewhere he will have to learn something new.

So, does he stay, or does he go?

Personally, I can see an argument for either choice.

He has a BIG (B1G) decision to make.

I wish him well in his decision. 

• Thumbs Up 2