Mudslide

Oregon Signs QB DILLON GABRIEL per 247SPORTS

247SPORTS.COM

The Oregon Ducks have found their replacement for Bo Nix, once again turning to the transfer portal to land decorated signal-caller Dillon Gabriel.

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Is he good?  I keep thinking Spencer Rattler with the quality of OU quarterbacks (total aside, if true, Gabriel just inverted his school acronym: 1/OU for those mathematically inclined) which is probably unfair but it’s a thing. 

Edited by CalBear95

Huge, just HUGE for next year, for portal recruiting over the next month, for the Oregon Brand…so big.

This could really start some serious recruiting momentum!

• Whew! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

Mr. FishDuck

Well, he was good enough to give Texas their only loss of the season this year.

2023:  30 TDs, 6 INTs, and 12 TDs on the ground.  

He has been described as a left-handed Bo Nix.  Now, that's a comparison that maybe should wait because Bo is special as we all saw.  DG is more of a dual-threat than Bo, but don't think of him as the Jayden Daniels at LSU, he's not that type of runner.

Around 70% completion rate , high QBR (top 5 in the nation) in an offense that isn't as good as Oregons.

LOTS of YouTube highlights, the game against Texas was a fun one.

Edited by Ktmguy2018
  • Thumbs Up 2

This young man is a competitor, and a winner, love the news. I look forward to hearing how he viewed Oregon's program as he grew up.

He seems like a Masoli, Adams type of guy. Too small to be recruited by the top programs coming out of high school, but has proven himself through hard work and talent.

There is also the Mariota connection which all adds up to a pretty exciting future. 

I hope Ty sticks around, competes and stays as the back-up as a mobile qb, who has been hurt before, will need a capable back-up. This also works well with the young guys we have being able to see a guy of this caliber with his history play ball.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

On 12/9/2023 at 11:14 AM, CalBear95 said:

Is he good?  I keep thinking Spencer Rattler with the quality of OU quarterbacks (total aside, if true, Gabriel just inverted his school acronym: 1/OU for those mathematically inclined) which is probably unfair but it’s a thing. 

Yes, he's outstanding. Close to 15,000 pass yards to date and the winning drive against Texas was masterful. He stays healthy vs. Kansas and Oklahoma goes 11-1, plays Texas in the B12 title game, and wins and it would have been Oklahoma vying for the Final 4. 

Check out the metrics and there is a good case for 2-loss Oklahoma to be ranked above 2-loss Oregon (sorry), Missouri, Penn State, and Ole Miss. Based on the final rankings, Oklahoma had this season's best win over three Texas.

Dillon is far more athletic than Rattler, much more elusive in the pocket, and far more accurate on downfield throws.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

For those who do not know....Lanning does this when there is a verbal, signing, or an impending one.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

Getting Gabriel is a pretty big deal and proves, yet again, what an adept recruiter Dan Lanning is. Like Bo, Gabriel is a highly skilled quarterback who is also a mature decision maker and a good leader. I definitely believe that getting Gabriel will help in Lanning’s quest to land several of the other top players he has his eye on. It will be interesting to see what TT and the others in the quarterback room decide to do. 

Edited by latracey
  • Thumbs Up 1

Too bad he isn't about 4" taller.  That said, he has ability, that's for sure.  I wonder now what might happen to Thompson & Novasad?  Transfer Portal?

• Thumbs Up 1

Well if Charle's post is correct and Moore may come in, TT is out of here. There is no point in him staying. He can go to any number of Mid Major schools and start right away. Maybe Oregon State will pick him up, they are in need of a QB now.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/9/2023 at 10:00 AM, QuackAttack said:

Well if Charles's post is correct....

These are rumors and unconfirmed.  But often when there is smoke...

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/9/2023 at 11:14 AM, CalBear95 said:

Yes, as others have stated, he is extremely good.  And as @Charles Fischer pointed out, getting Gabriel onboard early could pay huge dividends in recruiting and the transfer portal.  

IMO this is exactly what the Ducks needed. I truly think Gabriel will not only fit right in, it’s likely that he can help lead another very good and explosive Duck’s offense.  I have been worried about replacing Bo bc let’s be honest, Bo is irreplaceable!  But I honestly think this is a great move!  I’m not going to talk too much too soon, but who knows?  There might be something special brewing in Eugene!!!

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I mentioned both Moore and Gabriel landing in Eugene the other day. It sounds ridiculous. But wow, It just might happen. Thats would be crazy.

What does Oregon do about Akili Smith Jr? Seems it would lay out nicely. Gabriel is 1 and done. That gives Moore a year to learn and develope befor getting 2 years starting. That puts Smith in line to start after 2 years development coming into his soph year.

If Lanning plays this right the QB room is set for the next 5 years. Fingers crossed.

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 12/9/2023 at 8:49 AM, Haywarduck said:

I hope Ty sticks around, competes and stays as the back-up as a mobile qb,

I'm hoping JPJ sticks around to snap the ball to Gabriel, though he is the most NFL ready O-lineman the Ducks have produced since Penei Sewell.

Winning the Rimington will put him into the 2nd or 3rd round but hopefully he feels like an extra year of OBD Pancake Mode would slingshot him into the first round.

Take a look at Dillon Gabriel's Oklahoma highlights on YouTube.  I love the guy already!

Edited by CountryProf
  • Applause 1

On 12/9/2023 at 10:58 AM, EastBayDuckDad said:

Winning the Rimington will put him into the 2nd or 3rd round but hopefully he feels like an extra year of OBD Pancake Mode would slingshot him into the first round

I think he feels robbed that he didn't get his touchdown after the called fumble was reversed in the championship.

So, hopefully he stays to score one and break the tape one last time.  Okay, kinda joking there but I LOVE watching that kid play for OBD.

Dillon seems to survey the field as well as anyone. Let’s face it that was a TT weakness.

Kid doesn’t have great speed but is quick in his reactions to the defense. I’m excited as I was with Bo. 

Time will tell but I like what I see.

Seems like he will be good at throwing Will Stein Bird Bombs.  Strong arm.  I think he'll play like a Vern Adams or a young Russell Wilson.

I also like that when he scrambles he is still looking to throw and does make completions.  Great addition to our Ducks.

Are any of his receivers available?

Awesome addition!!

Make the age jokes, but maturity isn't a bad thing. Make the number of times he's transferred jokes, but that's just the way tho us are today. Gabriel has P5 experience. He's mobile, has a good enough arm, and has leadership qualities.

Yeah he's under 6 foot, but that narrative is drying up today. A lot of programs would be ecstatic to get this guy. Oklahoma didn't want to lose him, and he's a one year guy. He can help mentor any young guy who wants to come be the next guy.