FishDuck Article

Is Bo Nix Oregon’s Best Football Player Ever?

As a massive fan of the Oregon Ducks football program, this premise got floated to me a few weeks ago, and my initial reaction was a whole lot different than how I feel today. I pulled Mr. FishDuck from his fun at Bigbambooonline.com to see if his thoughts had changed by season end, and he agrees with me. Bo Nix is ...

FISHDUCK.COM

As a massive fan of the Oregon Ducks football program, this premise got floated to me a few weeks ago, and my initial reaction was a whole...
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Great points to ponder. I didn’t think it was as close before your article. 
maybe Marcus gets the nod for the extra couple years in the program?

A side note: Pro football hall of famer Mel Renfro does not have a w at the end of his name but perhaps he should for, “winner”. 

Also, I would personally not include Dion Jordan on that list based on your criteria but definitely Ngata. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Bo Nix is special and deserves all the accolades Alex used in his article today.  I enjoyed every snap he took as an Oregon Duck.  

Bo and the Oregon fans are fortunate to have Coach Lanning surround him with 4 and 5 star players.  The team this year is competitive with any of the four teams in the College Championship Playoffs.

However, I think we're comparing apple to oranges to peaches.  I remember a skinny kid in my handball P.E. class who had an outstanding career both at Oregon and then later at San Diego, Dan Fouts!  I don't think he was ever surrounded by a complete team of blue chip players at Oregon.

I could also argue for Lamichael James as he is my favorite running back.  He was an outstanding Duck and good person.  

Oregon has had a ton of great football players at Oregon.  So Bo Nix has done a superlative job of making Oregon a national team.  I love everything he brought to the team.

I celebrate and thank him for being the man he is and wish him the best in the future!  GO BO!  

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

Might be controversial, only read if willing to ponder.

I think we need perspective to really pick Nix as the all-time great. Many programs have picked our coaches as the next great coach because of how well they did at Oregon. It was then proven the coach wasn't as good as they thought, just part of the Oregon coaching machine.

Now I think Nix was great and did a wonderful job of picking Oregon as his next stop, with Dilly as his mentor. The problem is we need to see how the next qb does in our system. Will Dillon become the next all-time great, one year qb? Is Oregon just a qb factory with the system that builds up qb's and coaches?

Remember Nix did pretty well before, but struggled in the culture, and system at Auburn. Same guy in the culture, and system at Oregon, and he thrives. Bo had the talent, but Oregon is where he bloomed, and the next guy just might too.

This may be a controversial opinion, but something to ponder, is Oregon again, a qb producing machine. Dillon sure seems to think so, and so does Dante, again. Dante seemed to think CK was the qb whisperer, with Marcus as his proof, and DTR doing pretty well. He saw it wasn't Chip that made Marcus it was something in the water up in Eugene.

I am grateful for the time Bo gave us, but I am also even more grateful for the culture, and system Lanning is again creating. I think we have a qb producing machine, again.

My bet is we haven't seen the best, but I also don't like comparing Oregon players from different eras. They are all the greatest, because they came to Oregon and gave it their all! I love them all, just like my kids, and I won't go down that road of truly comparing. That is fine to do, but just not something I am comfortable with.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

This is from Chuc007, who mis-posted, but wanted to add to this discussion.

Great analysis ! it is hard to disagree. You mention Mel Renfro (Not Renfrow). Mel was like a freight train with dancing wheels. I know, I held a bag as a freshman sacrificial lamb when he came around the corner he  left my jock on the field or he went through me like a hot knife through butter. He was better than Reggie Bush but not Orenthal James aka The Knife. He never really got a chance as a running back at Dallas. He was too valuable at the second toughest position in pro football, cornerback.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

No doubt that I love Bo. He gave us some fun games to watch for sure the last two years.

Is he the best player ever to play at Oregon? IMO No.

Is he the best QB ever to play at Oregon? IMO No. 

There are so many great players to come from this university that it’s impossible to pick one. Bo was definitely the most experienced one however and played with one of the most talented teams ever at Oregon. 

Since we don’t know what kind of player he will be at the next level I will reserve judgement till his career ends.  

For now I will give the nod for the best player to Norm, Haloti, Renfrow, Francis, and Fouts. Not sure what order but they were all great. And let’s not forget Bobby Moore and Casey Mathew’s who had a very good pro careers.

QB at Oregon has to be Marcus for obvious reasons. Especially if you want to put nice guy in the formula. Norm and Dan are obviously A grades for complete careers. And what about Herbert if he had a qualified coach? Heisman maybe! He still could end up being the best ever cuz he aint done yet.

Bo, Dl, and Phil have definitely resurrected this team and we are so happy they did. Future is bright in Eugene.

• Thumbs Up 1

Had Mariota stayed in school as long as Nix, we'd be having a different conversation. 

Mariota is the GOAT. There's no denying what Nix has done, but I'll not discount someone who won every major award possible. 

Would I place Nix at #2? Most likely. 

Also, I was saddened to not see LMJ on your list. He was better than DAT.  (Pun intended)

Nix is one of the best to ever wear a Duck uniform.

That’s good enough.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

A little bit like asking which of your children is your favorite.

• Haha 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

As others have indicated above, it's difficult to compare the "best" because there are too many variables.  Even Bo Nix was better with Tez Johnson receiving passes in 2023 that Nix was without him in 2022.  Football takes 11 players to contribute to the performance of each of them at any one moment, and for those on the offense another 11 on defense to get the ball back for them.  In my observation, give me Justin Herbert with today's coaching staff and Nix' receivers, RB's and O-line.  

Herbert is a better runner when the protection collapses.  He has a far better deep pass and delivery under pressure.  Herbert can get the ball away with opponents hanging onto him like no other Duck QB.  He is simply the phically strongest Duck QB ever.  Unfortunately, thanks to Mario, we only had glimpses of his capability before he went to the NFL.

Was Bo Nix one of the greatest contributors to Duck success?  No doubt.  But he had a better coaching, better playing environment and better team mates than any previous Duck QB. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Interesting point to ponder....what if Justin Herbert played at QB at Oregon this year?  Whew!

More Herbert.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

Let’s not forget that Justin, Joey, and Marcus never lost to the mutts and Bo did it 3 times.

• Applause 1

On 1/3/2024 at 10:39 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Interesting point to ponder....what if Justin Herbert played at QB at Oregon this year?  Whew!

More Herbert.jpg

Omg Justin would've DESTROYED the rest of the Pac12 and run roughshod over Texas in that scenario....what a tantalizing dream!

• Wow 1

On 1/3/2024 at 7:57 AM, Krsmqn said:

Mariota is the GOAT. There's no denying what Nix has done, but I'll not discount someone who won every major award possible.

I will also interject that we need to verify total minutes played. Several games that MM played he was pulled after the first series in the 3rd. Bo is great but I will also give the nod to MM. My favorite player is Jeremiah Masoli--he was fun to watch!

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm a huge fan of Bo Nix. But, I am not a huge fan of these types of articles. It was well written and stirs conversation so for that I'm grateful.

As a longtime Oregon fan. I can NOT choose one player as the GOAT. I can choose my favorite. But, I would feel it is impossible to assign the title of GOAT to one player in the schools history. Every year we have a completely different TEAM. Sure, some of the players are the same. But, the skillset and personalities each year brings out a new TEAM.

I will say Bo was this years offensive MVP and for that I am very grateful.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

It does make you wonder...how good would Herbert have been with this offense, these players, and these coaches?  Plug in Dan Fouts?  Whew!  

Dan Fouts off Chargers preseason broadcasts - NBC Sports

• Great post! 1

Mr. FishDuck

Great take. I humbly and respectfully disagree.

Marcus won the Heisman. Bo was perfectly positioned to win the Heisman and came up short in the Pac-12 Championship game. He battled but he was outplayed by a guy who should have won this year's Heisman, Michael Penix, Jr.

I think there is one glaring omission in your contenders for Oregon's best player ever. Dan Fouts. He didn't light it up in college but had the best NFL career of any Ducks player. He represented UO with class on the field and later in the broadcast booth. And in the NFL, Dan and Coach Don Coryell revolutionized how The League plays offense.

But based simply on college play, Heisman winner Marcus Mariota was the best all time Duck and will be the one Duck, to date, showing up in NYC for the Hesiman Award ceremony year after year.

Bo deserves a whole lot of love but a Heisman winner will be remembered far longer than a guy who balled out and finished 3rd. 

Thanks again, Alex. Fun to ponder.

On 1/3/2024 at 7:47 AM, Charles Fischer said:

This is from Chuc007, who mis-posted, but wanted to add to this discussion.

Great analysis ! it is hard to disagree. You mention Mel Renfro (Not Renfrow). Mel was like a freight train with dancing wheels. I know, I held a bag as a freshman sacrificial lamb when he came around the corner he  left my jock on the field or he went through me like a hot knife through butter. He was better than Reggie Bush but not Orenthal James aka The Knife. He never really got a chance as a running back at Dallas. He was too valuable at the second toughest position in pro football, cornerback.

I looked up 'freight train with dancing wheels' to see if that great line had been said before. What came up was your Fishduck post. I nominate freight train with dancing wheels as the best line of the year, and it just might hold up for the next 362 days!

I want a freight train with dancing wheels in our backfield this coming season! Wow Chuc007 keep them coming!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I gotta go with Marcus

Great ponder point and well written article Alex, thank you!

Talk about a loaded question.  However, like many of my fellow Duck Buddies on here, I think it is a question with no correct answer.  There are just too many variables.

Bo got to play under a perfect storm!  When is the last time OBD had such a loaded receiver room?  

What would the record books look like had he played for Rich Brooks or Mike Bellotti? Would Bo have put up the numbers he put up with WT’s O line?

What would his numbers have looked like if Mari-no-O was the coach?  How about if he had LMJ, Bobby Moore, DAT, or a Rolls Royce in the backfield?  Again, just too many variables.

Dont get me wrong, I think Bo is, well, Bo-Dacious!  He gave us a boatload of great memories and outstanding football.  A student of the game, he may have understood his offense schematically like no one else.  

I look forward to watching him play on Sundays and hope he gets a team that can let him shine.  At the end of the day,  I think he is destined to be a coach when he is done playing.

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1

On 1/3/2024 at 7:55 PM, PittDuck said:

" I think he is destined to be a coach when he is done playing..."

I've been thinking that as well. Perhaps someday he'll return to the team as a GA, then QB coach, eventually the OC... The guy may end up being a coaching legend, too.

Imo, Bo is in the top 5 Oregon players. "Where" is just an opinion that needs no defense because it literally is an impossible task because different eras/schemes/opportunities etc. so vastly determine a player's production.

This being said, I love Bo because I had a mostly negative reaction when he committed to the Ducks...boy, was I wrong. Bo was better and then some. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 1/3/2024 at 11:13 AM, DUCati855 said:

I'm a huge fan of Bo Nix. But, I am not a huge fan of these types of articles. It was well written and stirs conversation so for that I'm grateful.

As a longtime Oregon fan. I can NOT choose one player as the GOAT. I can choose my favorite. But, I would feel it is impossible to assign the title of GOAT to one player in the schools history. Every year we have a completely different TEAM. Sure, some of the players are the same. But, the skillset and personalities each year brings out a new TEAM.

I will say Bo was this years offensive MVP and for that I am very grateful.

No player at Oregon has achieved what Mariota has, before, or since.  That should speak volumes. 

I agree that teams are different each year, but records and achievements stand alone throughout the years. Nobody has achieved as much as Marcus Mariota in Oregon football history, and that alone makes him the greatest player to ever don an Oregon uniform. Period. 

I love Bo Nix but he didn’t win a conference championship and was 0-3 vs. the hated Huskies.

Therefore, there are a handful of modern Oregon QBs that I’d take over Bo. 

Edited by OregonDucks