Charles Fischer

It's Official...HC Jed Fisch to Washington

Mr. FishDuck

Mr. FishDuck

Right.  Because Washington is quite the "destination" program isn't it?

• Haha 1
  • Great post! 1

Mr. FishDuck

Mr. FishDuck

So the fans of Arizona have waited for a winner for how long? Are you feeling sorry for them Huskies?

Mr. FishDuck

Mr. FishDuck

Mr. FishDuck

Would he be at Washington for long?

Fisch Sour Grapes.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

Wow.  You gotta hear this short video...boy, coaches lie through their teeth!

Mr. FishDuck

I don't see it as a good move for him. 

I still think it's better to wait a year and leverage that into a position. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Guess the semantics didn’t work out. That answer was totally shifty and conditional, definitely not emphatic 

Edited by JabbaNoBargain

On 1/14/2024 at 3:07 PM, David Marsh said:

Grab while the iron is hot, no guarantees Arizona wins 10 next year.

• Thumbs Up 3

KU’s Lance Leipold was the preferred (and better) choice of UDub and he gave a thumbs down.  With Fisch at the helm, Duck dominance of the Huskies will continue where we left off in 2021.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/14/2024 at 3:35 PM, Tjack said:

KU’s Lance Leipold was the preferred (and better) choice of UDub and he gave a thumbs down.  With Fisch at the helm, Duck dominance of the Huskies will continue where we left off in 2021.

Wowsa.  Pass up Washington to stay at Kansas?  Whew!

How was Kansas with recruiting?  No. 48!  He would have fit right in with the Huskies...

KANSAS.RIVALS.COM

The definitive source for all Kansas news.

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

I really didnt see this happening but he may need to bring some players--just sayin

Yeah, from Bear Down to bare down, as in an empty locker room.

Edited by Washington Waddler
word choice
  • Wow 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

If Zona promotes OC Carrol and brings in his dad Pete as OC, the Zona-UW pipeline may not flow in the direction the fuskies envision.

I believed him to be one of the top two candidates for the job. I think his hire makes a lot of sense.

It is definitely a move-up for Fisch. He will now be coaching in the P2 and not in the G5+ which is where the B12 sits. The Arizona athletic department is flat-out broke. As noted above, Fisch coached for Carroll in Seattle and he also made a coaching stop at Michigan. Heck of a 3-year turnaround from 0-12 to number 11 in the country. At a place not accustomed to success on the football field. U of A as a Pac member never qualified to play in the Rose Bowl on January 1st.

Now, how many quality AZ players will he bring with him? QB Will Rogers has de-committed from UW so bringing his QB, Fifita, with him would make sense. Watching Fifita play this season I had throwback thoughts of Sonny Sixkiller playing at UW. Fisch brings future pro T-Mac along with him as the number one wideout and Fifita and T-Mac will be right up there with any pass-catch combo in the B1G. 

This guy can recruit. And he can evaluate and coach up 3* talent. I was very happy last season to see the Ducks playing in Tempe and not in Tucson. 

I think he is right up there with the upper tier of B1G coaches. After all, a guy like Fickell at Wisconsin has yet to prove that he has P4 coaching chops. Fleck at Minnesota may have reached his zenith. Ferentz at Iowa is the opposite side of the coin from Riley.  I think this guy will be a far tougher out than many on the board project. He's certainly on par with Locksley at Maryland and Schiano at Rutgers. Rhule has yet to 'prove it' at Nebraska. Braun at NW did a great job in 2023 but does anyone believe that NW, Indiana, or Purdue are going to win a B1G title?

I'm not taking this guy for granted. He has tons of coaching experience at every level.  He connected well with the players at AZ who balled out for him last season. IMO, UW could have done a heck of a lot worse. 

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

On another note: I find Jim Rome’s radio show to be unlistenable drivel as apposed to our local sports show Host Steve Tannen, who I find well informed and entertaining.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 1/14/2024 at 6:41 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

I really didnt see this happening but he may need to bring some players--just sayin

Fisch leaving opens a 30-day transfer window for Wildcats players. I expect that many of his better players will follow him into the Power 2 B1G and out of the B12.  QB Julian Sayin is committed to Alabama. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Signing his new contract while in Tucson.  That's brutal for Cats fans.

WWW.ESPN.COM

Arizona's Jedd Fisch has agreed to a contract to be the next football coach at Washington, sources told ESPN on Sunday, with the deal covering seven years at an average of $7.75 million...

On 1/14/2024 at 2:50 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Right.  Because Washington is quite the "destination" program isn't it?

Softy doesn't seem real enthused about the hire.

Really hope DL is on the phone with T-Mac, that dude can play.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 1/14/2024 at 4:39 PM, Jon Joseph said:

I believed him to be one of the top two candidates for the job. I think his hire makes a lot of sense.

It is definitely a move-up for Fisch. He will now be coaching in the P2 and not in the G5+ which is where the B12 sits. The Arizona athletic department is flat-out broke. As noted above, Fisch coached for Carroll in Seattle and he also made a coaching stop at Michigan. Heck of a 3-year turnaround from 0-12 to number 11 in the country. At a place not accustomed to success on the football field. U of A as a Pac member never qualified to play in the Rose Bowl on January 1st.

Now, how many quality AZ players will he bring with him? QB Will Rogers has de-committed from UW so bringing his QB, Fifita, with him would make sense. Watching Fifita play this season I had throwback thoughts of Sonny Sixkiller playing at UW. Fisch brings future pro T-Mac along with him as the number one wideout and Fifita and T-Mac will be right up there with any pass-catch combo in the B1G. 

This guy can recruit. And he can evaluate and coach up 3* talent. I was very happy last season to see the Ducks playing in Tempe and not in Tucson. 

I think he is right up there with the upper tier of B1G coaches. After all, a guy like Fickell at Wisconsin has yet to prove that he has P4 coaching chops. Fleck at Minnesota may have reached his zenith. Ferentz at Iowa is the opposite side of the coin from Riley.  I think this guy will be a far tougher out than many on the board project. He's certainly on par with Locksley at Maryland and Schiano at Rutgers. Rhule has yet to 'prove it' at Nebraska. Braun at NW did a great job in 2023 but does anyone believe that NW, Indiana, or Purdue are going to win a B1G title?

I'm not taking this guy for granted. He has tons of coaching experience at every level.  He connected well with the players at AZ who balled out for him last season. IMO, UW could have done a heck of a lot worse. 

Sonny Sixkiller; a kid from Oregon that did well in Washington.  I remember hearing the "Ballad of Sonny Sixkiller" on the radio as a kid living in the Seattle area.  That was a long time ago.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/14/2024 at 7:54 PM, Dave23 said:

Really hope DL is on the phone with T-Mac, that dude can play.

That would be hilarious.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think this is a really good hire for the Huskies.  Fisch can build a team.  That much is clear.  Whether he can sustain the degree of success he achieved last year is obviously TBD but there is no taking away that what he did in year 1 was very impressive.  Zona was the 3rd best team in a conference that was loaded.

The fact they were able to land someone like this during the worst period to hire a coach is amazing.  Outside of KU's coach, this is probably the best possible outcome they could have expected.  You have to give their AD a lot of credit for pulling UW's chestnuts out of the fire.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

On 1/14/2024 at 4:39 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Couldn't agree more. One could argue reason Grubb wasn't going to get the job is because the AD isn't stupid. He saw how depleted the roster was. He needed to hire a good coach with a good staff and good players he could bring with him, not to mention someone that can do a lot with a little.

Fisch checked those boxes. This is a smart hire.

I expect all of the best UA players to be in the portal shortly to come along with Fisch and his assistant coaches to play in the big 10.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 1/14/2024 at 3:07 PM, David Marsh said:

Agree, but this is a great hire for UW. I don't know that waiting a year and continuing to grow AZ would get him any better destination or any higher pay. It is a big pay increase for Fisch, and if he can build over the long haul, his future is secure.

• Applause 1

Another coach who will last maybe 2-3 years. He has spent more time in the NFL than in college. Good coach, but the dawgs have hired another guy who will jump ship as soon as his resume lets him.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/14/2024 at 4:42 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Fisch leaving opens a 30-day transfer window for Wildcats players. I expect that many of his better players will follow him into the Power 2 B1G and out of the B12.  QB Julian Sayin is committed to Alabama. 

Not so sure.  Media accounts of his meeting with the players are pretty brutal.  

He basically walked in, said he was leaving and walked out.  Word is the players were 'beyond angry'.  

On 1/14/2024 at 6:00 PM, Haywarduck said:

Another coach who will last maybe 2-3 years. He has spent more time in the NFL than in college. Good coach, but the dawgs have hired another guy who will jump ship as soon as his resume lets him.

Saw on Twitter he has had 18 jobs in 24 years.  If the Florida job opens he's gone.

• Thumbs Up 1

What are you thinking Jed Fisch?20240114_175501.jpg.badb71d72cd90a835833885083c6ac9d.jpg

• Haha 2

Mr. FishDuck

Fisch.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

Mr. FishDuck

Three minute meeting?  Pretty cold-blooded.  This helps Dano on the recruiting trail...Washington is NOT about family.

Mr. FishDuck

That 3 minute meeting, if true, is?diappointing on so many levels

That will come back to bite him hard on the recruiting trail. Between camps and social media those remaing players and incoming recruits know each other....

He lost their trust....

Evidently his word is not his bond.

He truly is perfect for the horde up north.

It's okay to take a better job for much more money. Thats good business. Players and their families undetstand that. Players will leave for a better NIL or playing time.

However, players and their families welcomed you and your staff into their homes. You gave them all the reasons to come to AU. You gave them assurances asked them to trust you.......

Aren't they worth your time to answer their heartfelt questions and take some heat?

The pos city in Washington and your future was going to be there 10 or 60 minutes later.

Good luck selling your we are family line in the furure.

Go Ducks.....

On 1/14/2024 at 8:02 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Three minute meeting?  Pretty cold-blooded.  This helps Dano on the recruiting trail...Washington is NOT about family.

I smell another Jimmy Lake type of result over the next 2 years.

I don't think there is really any good way to have that meeting, DeBoer's was 8 minutes long and it sounds like it was even worse.  Either way you are leaving and whatever you say isn't going to stop the feeling of betrayal that comes with leaving so suddenly. 

In all of these cases it's more the fact that a coach is leaving after such a short time at the school, it's one thing when you leave for a better job after 7 or so years, at least then you seen an entire recruiting class through to their senior year, with these guys it's a short hello and goodbye, can't even see much of a journey.  

• Thumbs Up 2

Here we go again, rumors are circling.  Of course his name would be mentioned.  With Arizona's financial woes and I'm sure players leaving, not a good place to start as a head coach.  Let's hope he doesn't bite IF they come knocking.

Oregon OC Will Stein mentioned as candidate for Arizona coaching job

While Stein is certainly a strong candidate with his offensive success at Oregon and his strong recruiting ties in the Big 12 base, mainly Texas, it’s fair to say that there are other candidates who will likely be at the top of the list for the Wildcats.

We will see over the coming days who Arizona chooses to replace Fisch, but it will likely happen relatively quickly.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Oregon Ducks offensive coordinator Will Stein has been mentioned as a candidate for the Arizona Wildcats’ head coaching job.

Arizona Head Coach Hot Board: Top candidates to replace Jedd Fisch

WWW.ON3.COM

Candidates to replace Jedd Fisch as Arizona’s football coach include Barry Odom, Garrett Riley, Jake Dickert and Scott Frost

On 1/14/2024 at 10:16 PM, Duckluv said:

What are you thinking Jed Fisch?20240114_175501.jpg.badb71d72cd90a835833885083c6ac9d.jpg

When in Tucson, at least he didn't pull a Rich Rod!

On 1/14/2024 at 10:57 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Fisch.jpg

Come ON, Rob! This is what all coaches preach and 17 and 18-year-olds buy into. At a basketball school, a school with no CFB modern-day football laurels, Fisch took a 0-12 team to NO. 11 in the country in 3 seasons. Remarkable. 

I think many AZ guys will follow him to UW if invited and that his message will resonate in Seattle. He's in the B1G Leagues so any other job that comes up will have to be a Power 2 job. 

As to the team meeting, that's not the same as him speaking with the guys he wants to bring with him. Unless it's an Irish Wake, why prolong a wake?

I believe that Fisch and UW will continue to be worthy adversaries.  

• Thumbs Up 6

A $240M 'budget miscalculation?' Oops!

THEATHLETIC.COM

College football has become a rotating door. When a popular coach like Jedd Fisch leaves a program, players usually follow.

I just read that Arizona's DC Nansen won't be coming with Fisch to UW, because he went to Texas.

Arizona went from 120th something defensively in 2021 to 20th something in 2023 with him, and certainly their defense and Fifita were the 2 primary reasons for Arizona's success this year.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

MEET JEDD FISCH

GOHUSKIES.COM

Sunday, January 14: Welcome Coach Fisch for University of Washington Huskies Football