Babyjesus615

Chip Kelly Leaving UCLA For OC Job At Ohio State!

You know the work environment is bad when you leave a Power 5 HC position for an OC position.  My impression is that Kelly and the UCLA AD really don't like each other.

Make you wonder what Dante Moore knew.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

With the type of talent at Ohio St......ouch!

• Yikes! 1

WOW! Did anyone see THIS coming? Chip on the tOSU sideline when Brutus comes for a visit on 10/12/24 is going to take some getting used to. I am somewhat surprised that Day would hire a guy who does not like to recruit although one reason O'Brien left Bama for the NFL before a brief period in Columbus and is now at BC, is because he wasn't all in on recruiting. 

UCLA finished last in the B1G in 2024 recruiting and has done very little in the portal to date, 75th in the nation. Why not get off of the Bruins not-so-merry-go-round and go with a team with the Bluest Blue Chip Roster in the conference? It will be interesting to learn what Chip's remuneration will be. It will be less than he was making at UCLA but he does get a nice cost-of-living cut.

Fleck? Considering the location, Fleck has done OK as a recruiter. Minnesota finished No. 36 this season. Fleck has brought in and coached up several 3* RBs who have made it to the NFL. Fleck signed Max Brosner from New Hampshire (more NH ties) to QB the Gophers in 2024. Brosner was 2nd team All-FCS QB in 2023. He threw for 3464 yards and 29 TDs. If Fleck is the Bruins guy, I expect Brosner will follow him to LA.

With QB Will Howard transferring to tOSU from K State (2nd team All B12 QB behind Dillon Gabriel) Chip will have a dual threat guy that will fit his run-oriented system. With Judkins coming in from Ole Miss at RB and Henderson returning at RB, the Buckeyes O will be far more ground-oriented than it was under Day with rookie of the year JT Stroud and Justin Fields at QB. After 3 seasons in a row of losing the LOS to Michigan, it does make sense for Day to go more physical on O. 

Is there an off-season in college football?

Chips tenure at Oregon was very impressive because of his offensive genius along with some of the best college athletes to operate with. He had Nick Sabin scared to death until Dixon got injured.

Chip innovation on offense was the most fun to watch in those days IMO. Since that time defenses have evolved and are more capable of stopping it.

That being said he will have a talented group to work with and a huge fan base behind him. 

He won’t be the best recruiter OSU ever had but he won’t be expected to be. Already a high powered offense the Buckeyes probably won’t skip a beat. Could even be better.

The Ducks will find out quick early next season if he has indeed lost his edge.

This came as a shocker to me as well!  Recruiting not Chip Kelly's strong suit.  But, my goodness, with this caliber of talent at his disposal? 

Though weather wise?  "Chip Kelly might be taking a huge pay cut and less prestigious job, but at least he gets to move from Los Angeles to Columbus, Ohio"

Duck fans, college football world reacts to news that Chip Kelly will take job at Ohio State

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Oregon Duck fans had some strong reactions to the news that former UCLA head coach Chip Kelly would be leaving to be the OC at Ohio State.

Seems like coaching college teams in LA might not be that attractive. I expect Usuck will be looking for a new coach sometime in the near future.

Puzzling.

Loved Chip for that moment in time at UO, but he hasn’t exactly been putting up big numbers since his return to college, and it’s not like the PAC has been particularly good on D the last decade.

I really don’t understand this from a recruiting perspective, seems like this hurts tOSU on recruiting no matter how it is spun. The OC connection with recruits is critical.

Edited by JabbaNoBargain

Works for me.

I remember when he was returning to the college game and most people were hoping that he would not return to the Pac 12 and take the Florida (?) job instead.

Well, that worked out pretty well for us, so I'm hoping Kelly 3.0 is the same as 2.0.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

WWW.ESPN.COM

UCLA coach Chip Kelly is expected to become the next offensive coordinator at Ohio State, sources told ESPN on Friday.

Very good observations from The Athletic on Chip's relocation to tOSU. One writer notes that Chip was fed up with not having an NIL war chest and the lack of support from the administration on high. Also, his salaries for staff were not sufficient. USC doubled DC Lynn's salary and UCLA couldn't come close to matching this.

He had a .500 record in Westwood but in 2022 the UCLA O ranked 4th nationally in total O dropping to 32nd in 2023 as the D materially improved. He never was able to get a handle on the QB position in 2023. Sad for the kid but it was fortunate for UCLA that starting QB Schlee was injured and Garbers came in to bring UCLA  back against Boise in the LA Bowl.  But the beat-down loss to Cal after butt-kicking SC?

Great take from Charles and I agree that Stein is the guy but Chip will have weapons on hand in Columbus that he did not have in Westwood and 2024's easiest schedule among the B1G title contenders.

Edited by Jon Joseph

I wonder how many coaches will turn down this job before they find someone.

1)  Live in LA

2)  Bad roster

3)  Live in LA

4)  Joining the BIG

5)  Live in LA

6)  Lack of institutional support and NIL

7)  And did I mention, live in LA

• Haha 2
  • Applause 2

It's been completely obvious for the past 2-3 weeks that Chip desperately wants out of Westwood. His name has been "linked" to every OC job out there.  UCLA is going to get killed in the B1G next year. Chip knows that and he knows he'd be fired after next season. His stock can't get any higher than it is now.

Was kind of half hoping the Raiders hired him and drafted Bo. Hell, I was fully hoping for that, but......

The tOSU twist is troubling though. I don't like it.  But, it is what blah blah blah.........

The regime changes in Eugene means Chip no longer has any insider knowledge of Oregon football.  BUT.  Chip has proven before how formidable his offenses can be with the right personnel. Would have rather seen him return home to New Hampshire as the head man to finish out his career. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 2/9/2024 at 4:04 PM, Steven A said:

Works for me.

I remember when he was returning to the college game and most people were hoping that he would not return to the Pac 12 and take the Florida (?) job instead.

Well, that worked out pretty well for us, so I'm hoping Kelly 3.0 is the same as 2.0.

He is going to have far more talent to work with at tOSU than he had in Westwood. UCLA's last title in football came in 1998 when the Bruins won the Pac under one-time Oregon OC Bob Toledo. I have yet to see an 'expert' predict anything other than a B1G bumpy ride for the Bruins. 

Day and Ohio State are going more smash mouth on O to take back the LOS from Michigan. The tOSU D was terrific in 2023 and should be better this season. And Chip has a run threat at QB and two top RBs to work with plus the usual group of quality pass catchers. The OL needs to improve its play but if it does? Watch out.

On 2/9/2024 at 1:07 PM, Steven A said:

1)  Live in LA

2)  Bad roster

3)  Live in LA

4)  Joining the BIG

5)  Live in LA

I get we’re supposed to despise LA, but LA is amazing if you make multiple-millions a year. Not so much if you’re commuting from Rancho Cucamonga. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Dumb move by Ohio State.  Prediction: he will not average over 35 points a game with the Buckeyes...even with all that talent.

His best years, his peak years were at Oregon.  He has been .500 coach since, and Mora was much better.  BTW Chip...you still have to recruit!

The real question is this....who would you rather have as your OC?  Chip or Will Stein?  My choice, (in a heartbeat) is below...

Stein and Offense_Screenshot from ESPN Video.jpg

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 5

Mr. FishDuck

Not looking good for the Bruins; not much different than in 2022.

THEATHLETIC.COM

UCLA has been plagued by maddening inconsistency, several failed coaching hires and structural roadblocks on the path to modern success.

Ironic? UCLA will be the opponent in the Ducks 1st B1G conference game. Ducks have the prior week off while the Bruins play LSU in Baton Rogue.

Edited by Jon Joseph

An interesting move indeed.

But it's a good move for Chip.

He has had the opportunity to be head coach at several great locations, and at age 60, has decided what might make him enjoy life more.

I'm sure the current era of NIL and transfer portal has made his "love" of recruiting even less so.

Yes, as OC he still needs to recruit, but only for one side of the game, and without the responsibility for everything. 

He still attracts great offensive talent, Dante Moore is a fine example. He was strong Oregon all the way until Chip flipped him.

He also has had great RB's in his system routinely.

I expect he will do well as OC at tOSU. 

Probably not as successful as at Oregon, but I expect better than what tOSU has been of late.

As for $$, I'm sure by now he has saved more then he might ever use. He has learned by now that $$ means little if you ain't happy.

And the move to Ohio should save plenty in taxes and cost of living.

I look forward to seeing tOSU play. Watching fast, hard, finish football is fun and entertaining. 

I'm still glad we have our coaches. Will S. is half Chip's age and just as wiley. And there ain't no one else out there that comes close to our coach DL.

So let's Go Ducks!!

Bring it on Buckeyes!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Chip may not help the cause but Ohio State's recruiting is doing quite nicely. The B1G could come down to a Battle of the Os year after year.

THEATHLETIC.COM

Can Kalen DeBoer dominate at Alabama? What is Sherrone Moore's plan at Michigan? Can Texas take another step forward?

• Thumbs Up 1

Given the evidence from most all of Chip's post-Oregon career, I can't help but think he's past his sell-by date.

• Yikes! 1
  • Haha 2
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

The era of NIL and the transfer portal has undeniably affected college football's coaching carousel

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/9/2024 at 4:43 PM, DanLduck said:

I'm still glad we have our coaches. Will S. is half Chip's age and just as wiley. And there ain't no one else out there that comes close to our coach DL

Agree!  I'll take Lanning and Stein over Day and Kelly any day! 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Super interesting move.  The most pure talent he's had to work with in comparison to other teams since he was at Oregon.  He doesn't have to recruit as much, he can simply be a guru there, he's working with a former player, I could see it going extremely well.  If I was Day would choose Kelly over Stein since it's a different situation than the one here.  Lanning though is better with Stein (or Dillingham if he was still here) than bring in a guy like Kelly.  

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I dont know weather to laugh or cry for both UCLA or Chip.

Keep in mind this is all happening because tOSU just clustered their OC hire in the last 30 days. Tight ship Day is running…can smell the sweat of desperation.

•  
  • Haha 1

1)  Live in LA

2)  Bad roster

3)  Live in LA

4)  Joining the BIG

5)  Live in LA

The live in LA part is interesting. UCLA is literally across the street from the Bell Aire Country Club, but a measley 4 million a year gross would still leave you looking for a shack in Santa Monica.

Chip on the other hand had enough money coming to UCLA to live the above Sunset Boulevard lifestyle, which is probably why he did get Bruin Fever in the first place.

But the fake superficial personalities and struggles of the job others are mentioning here made the lifestyle a been there, done that proposition.

Just speculation of course.

On 2/9/2024 at 3:08 PM, Solar said:

The live in LA part is interesting. UCLA is literally across the street from the Bell Aire Country Club, but a measley 4 million a year gross would still leave you looking for a shack in Santa Monica.

Chip on the other hand had enough money coming to UCLA to live the above Sunset Boulevard lifestyle, which is probably why he did get Bruin Fever in the first place.

But the fake superficial personalities and struggles of the job others are mentioning here made the lifestyle a been there, done that proposition.

Just speculation of course.

More speculation, does this mean the NFL wasn’t interested?

I don’t think it’s burnout on LA as much as burnout specifically on UCLA, and an even greater burnout on being a college HC in 2024. 

Edited by JabbaNoBargain

On 2/9/2024 at 1:54 PM, Jon Joseph said:
WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

The era of NIL and the transfer portal has undeniably affected college football's coaching carousel

Josh Pate commented after Saban quit that there were many more high profiles coaches that want out due to NIL/Portal. Maybe Chip was one of them, but he likely won't be the last.

My bet would be on Swinney. Clemson will probably fire him for staying old school after next year and Swinney will be done as a HC.

On 2/9/2024 at 3:12 PM, JabbaNoBargain said:

More speculation, does this mean the NFL wasn’t interested?

I don’t think it’s burnout on LA as much as burnout specifically on UCLA, and an even greater burnout on being a college HC in 2024. 

Regardless of speculation, Chip interviewed for NFL OC positions first and then picked Ohio State. Logic dictates the NFL was not interested.

• Thumbs Up 1

IMHO, LA is the best place on Earth to live. 💚

I think Chip will really enjoy letting go of top level operations to just coach football again on one side of the ball.  It could really reinvigorate him again and solidify Ohio St. as the B1G frontrunner and 2024 national title contender.

The other side of the coin is UCLA getting a better head coach with athletic director synergy.  Someone who thrives recruiting, understands and embraces NIL, and turns UCLA into a bigger west coast threat on the field and in recruiting battles.  Will be keeping a close eye on the UCLA replacement hire.  It was so nice to count on mediocrity in Westwood.

• Thumbs Up 2

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

Kelly put UCLA in a tough spot with his late departure, but there are some intriguing names to know

If I were UCLA, I would target top tier coaches in the ACC and Big12 who are on the outside looking in at the Power 2 conferences.

I think it's time for Jimbo Fisher to land another contract 🙂

Edited by mikethehiker

Chip can also be a liability.

I know that if DL announced that he had hired Chip Kelly I would actually be somewhat disappointed with the hire. Kelly’s best years are behind him and he already has stated and demonstrated that he doesn’t like recruiting.

It takes an all in team effort to maintain an elite level of recruiting.

It will be interesting to see if Kelly transitions to the tOSU structure as gracefully as Day hopes he will. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/9/2024 at 4:09 PM, Jon Joseph said:
THEATHLETIC.COM

Who's next at UCLA with Chip Kelly likely headed to Ohio State? Here are some of the candidates.

David Shaw would be an interesting hire. He's a solid coach who could recruit at Stanford despite the academic requirements there. I imagine those would be lower at UCLA, though the athletic department's financials being bad probably puts similar handcuffs to recruiting both players and coaches.

On 2/9/2024 at 7:06 PM, mikethehiker said:

If I were UCLA, I would target top tier coaches in the ACC and Big12 who are on the outside looking in at the Power 2 conferences.

I think it's time for Jimbo Fisher to land another contract 🙂

The timing is a problem for UCLA. Jed Fisch - assistant at UCLA in 2017 gone to UW. J. Smith who grew up in SoCal is at Michigan State. Brett Brennan who played TE at UCLA is now at Arizona, 

Without a change from the higher-ups and more money from boosters for NIL, how good of a job is the Bruins job? Like Miami, you play in a stadium that is not on campus or close to campus. And while they are somewhat relaxed for athletes, academics are not an afterthought like they are in many places in the USA. 

• Like 1

On 2/9/2024 at 7:12 PM, kirklandduck said:

David Shaw would be an interesting hire. He's a solid coach who could recruit at Stanford despite the academic requirements there. I imagine those would be lower at UCLA, though the athletic department's financials being bad probably puts similar handcuffs to recruiting both players and coaches.

Shaw's son is a member of the UCLA football team. But does he want to go into today's world of big-time CFB with the NIL arm tied behind his back? Working for a deep-in-the-red athletic department? It is a public school of course but UCLA's endowment does not come close to Stanford's endowment. 

• Thumbs Up 1

SATURDAYOUTWEST.COM

Chip Kelly is leaving UCLA after six seasons with the program. Here are some of the names who could potentially replace him as the Bruins' head coach.

Bill O'Brien disliked the recruiting portion of the job, he only did two years of it as the head man at Penn State, under heavy sanctions. We think he's a good recruiter because of his tenure at Alabama. I could recruit well enough there. The guys came for Saban.

Chip Kelly is the same, not a recruiting master. But Ryan Day is a great recruiter, and he's an offensive mind. So Chip can just be the guy behind the guy. Probably suits him better, as he isn't that great with the media.

The thing I would say concerns me is Chip's offense. It's a lot closer to Meyer's than Day's. O'Brien was a much closer playcaller to the Ryan Day system.

Can Chip develop a potent air raid? Those five star receivers aren't going to be happy with a run heavy offense. A lot of talent, but a lot of egos that goes along with that.  But let's just welcome him back when he comes to Eugene in the press box, instead of the sideline. Send him some nice jelly donuts, but no milk.

On 2/9/2024 at 1:43 PM, DanLduck said:

An interesting move indeed.

But it's a good move for Chip.

He has had the opportunity to be head coach at several great locations, and at age 60, has decided what might make him enjoy life more.

I'm sure the current era of NIL and transfer portal has made his "love" of recruiting even less so.

Yes, as OC he still needs to recruit, but only for one side of the game, and without the responsibility for everything. 

He still attracts great offensive talent, Dante Moore is a fine example. He was strong Oregon all the way until Chip flipped him.

He also has had great RB's in his system routinely.

I expect he will do well as OC at tOSU. 

Probably not as successful as at Oregon, but I expect better than what tOSU has been of late.

As for $$, I'm sure by now he has saved more then he might ever use. He has learned by now that $$ means little if you ain't happy.

And the move to Ohio should save plenty in taxes and cost of living.

I look forward to seeing tOSU play. Watching fast, hard, finish football is fun and entertaining. 

I'm still glad we have our coaches. Will S. is half Chip's age and just as wiley. And there ain't no one else out there that comes close to our coach DL.

So let's Go Ducks!!

Bring it on Buckeyes!

Don't know that it was so much Chip flipping Moore as it was Dillingham leaving.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 2/9/2024 at 5:18 PM, Augduck said:

Don't know that it was so much Chip flipping Moore as it was Dillingham leaving.

Quite true. Dante sure left in a hurry.

Oh so sweet to watch Chip's teams operate at Oregon. The fact that he inherited a boatload of talent from a highly successful head coach, Mike Bellotti doesn't deter those memories. Had Mike stayed for one more year he would have been the winningest coach in Pac 10 or 12 history, not Terry Donahue. Bellotti was pushed upstairs to AD to make room for Chip who was left with a stable of terrific players and assistant coaches.

His biggest recruiting success, LaMichael James, was tainted and led to an investigation and slight punishment for the University, but possible big problems for Chip. These issues plus his hatred for recruiting along with needing to compete with his highly successful brothers on Wall Street made the jump to the pros an easy decision. Too bad he found out the hard way the pros had minds of their own.

Chip's annual foray into the jungles of Africa for three weeks where he brought doctors and nurses on his own dime very needy areas where those services were lacking still sets him aside despite his personality from most all others. I hope OSU scores 60 points a game but none against Oregon.

Best of luck Chip, thanks for the memories!

• Thumbs Up 2

THEATHLETIC.COM

Kelly's move to Ohio State puts the Bruins in a difficult spot, even though they had begun preparing for his departure.

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

Kelly and the Bruins seemed headed for divorce sooner than later

On 2/9/2024 at 8:03 PM, Duckley Palace said:

Bill O'Brien disliked the recruiting portion of the job, he only did two years of it as the head man at Penn State, under heavy sanctions. We think he's a good recruiter because of his tenure at Alabama. I could recruit well enough there. The guys came for Saban.

Chip Kelly is the same, not a recruiting master. But Ryan Day is a great recruiter, and he's an offensive mind. So Chip can just be the guy behind the guy. Probably suits him better, as he isn't that great with the media.

The thing I would say concerns me is Chip's offense. It's a lot closer to Meyer's than Day's. O'Brien was a much closer playcaller to the Ryan Day system.

Can Chip develop a potent air raid? Those five star receivers aren't going to be happy with a run heavy offense. A lot of talent, but a lot of egos that goes along with that.  But let's just welcome him back when he comes to Eugene in the press box, instead of the sideline. Send him some nice jelly donuts, but no milk.

Great take. However, I am fairly certain that after losing the LOS to Michigan 3 years in a row, Day wants to be more physical on O to complement a lot of terrific D players returning to the Buckeyes. Chip will have a dual-threat QB and 2 excellent running backs to work with. The play of the OL has to improve but Chip's run game scheme could help with this. 

I think play-calling wise he is better than O'Brien and is obviously, a great fit with his protegee Ryan Day. With tOSU's receiving corps I expect we will see a good blend of run and pass calls. tOSU starts with 3 cupcakes at home in 2024 which will give Chip and the O time to settle in.  

I would have much preferred for Chip to stay in Westwood. It's not LA, but in Columbus, Chip has far more star power to work with. 

• Thumbs Up 1

A few unrelated things/thoughts…

First, for those hating on LA, with the kind of money these coaches make it can be a great place to live.  I grew up there and detest the place but I’m also keenly aware of what kind of lifestyle that money can buy and why some would find it appealing 

Second, Chip was a little like Billy Beane in terms of innovation which is why they had success at first.  What he did at Oregon was incredibly disruptive and gave the Ducks a huge edge.  Billy Beane was an early pioneer of analytics which, like Kelly, gave him a massive advantage to help offset the small market (read: cheap) philosophy of the owner.  

Once everyone caught up to them that advantage disappeared.  No doubt Chip is an offensive whiz but he no longer has the benefit of a disruptive system.  He’s good of course but isn’t always better than really good DCs.

Barring some massive new innovation like he had at Oregon, isn’t ever going to dominate like he once did when facing a team with relatively equal talent.  That’s a large part of why he struggled schematically in the pros where talent gaps are far less pronounced and the quality of your scheme can have a massive impact

So, Kelly should see a lot of success at OSU against most teams but less so with their peers.  He’s definitely an upgrade at at OC but I don’t think he’s going to be this massive buzz saw that makes other teams’ defensive schemes obsolete. 

• Thumbs Up 1