Augduck

Rumors of RB Coach Locklyn Being Hired Away by tOSU...

Some grist for the mill here

• Go Ducks! 1

On a pay site--they unfortunately say that there is truth to him talking to them, and perhaps leaving.  Not good...

HC2 coach sideline.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

tOSU's RB coach committed the unpardonable sin (even though it's Easter) of joining That Team Up North.

It would make sense for the Chipper to go after an RB coach whom he is familiar with. Locklyn would be a loss to any team but to a team that you are playing on 10/12/24? Not good. 

It will be interesting to see his contract if he leaves and whether Oregon is willing to match the $ or come close.

Ohio State will return to an emphasis on the run game in 2024. The Buckeyes and the Buckeye fans are tired of being smash-mouthed by Michigan. Chipper will run the ball, especially with 2 terrific running backs on the roster, and a QB who is a run threat. Howard is far more athletic than QB McCord was last season. 

You run a successful program and you will lose quality assistant coaches. SEE: Saint Nick at Bama. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/31/2024 at 11:18 AM, Jon Joseph said:

You run a successful program and you will lose quality assistant coaches. SEE: Saint Nick at Bama. 

Yep, one of the few downsides of great success.  And note this is not a move to a Mid-line P5, or a G5 team; this says a lot again about Dan Lanning finding the gem at Western Kentucky and attracting him to Eugene.

Lanning, Locklyn, and Jordan James_Screenshot from Fox Sports Video.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

I certainly hope he doesn't leave. He's got a great thing going in Eugene and it's not necessarily better at tOSU.

• Let’s hope! 1

His new salary at Oregon for 2024 and 2025 is $400K.

If he voluntarily left before April 1, 2024 his buyout would be $800K.  If he leaves after April 1, 2024, his buyout drops to $400K.  Yes, April 1, 2024, not 2025.

OSU was paying the guy that just left $775K.

Don't expect any news before April 1.

• Thanks 1
  • Great post! 1

It would be reasonable, as well as understandable for Duck assistant or position coaches ro expect the going rate for BIG assistants.

Matching or exceeding competitive offers is very normal in the competive world of business. Especially for talent or productive people.

You want to compete with tOSU you need top level talent on and off the field. Talent is expensive.....

Go Ducks....

Lanning's reaction...... reload and don't miss a beat.

SpLIjxO.gif

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I love coach Locklyn's intensity. Would sure hate to see him go.

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 2

I think he is our best position coach.  He is a jewel on and off the field.  He is the one coach I really want to keep.  Don't let him go to another school as a RB coach!!!

Interesting. I have caught the names Robert Gillespie (RB coach Alabama), Marquel Blackwell (RB coach South Carolina), Stan Drayton (former Texas run game coordinator and current Temple HC), Tashard Choice (Texas RB coach and former RB under Chip in Philadelphia), Deland McCullough (RB coach ND), Curtis Luper (RB coach Missouri), being mention (after Demarco Murray apparently was interviewed and decided to stay at Oklahoma). Seem to be a lot of names floating around this one.

Edited by AnotherOD

Well...bye

I love Lanning, but something is going on with the coaching relationships..

Matin now Lock

On 4/1/2024 at 10:13 AM, Lrod said:

I love Lanning, but something is going on with the coaching relationships..

Matin now Lock

Didn't Martin go back to his alma mater?  If so maybe he gets a pass?

Lock may be getting a 2X pay raise?  Gets a pass from me.

OSU did a smart thing here:  They got a good coach and potentially weakened a team that they may be a little skittish about this fall.  I respect their 4-D chess skill in this case.

• Go Ducks! 1

Well, Lanning probably has a list of potential coaches for every position, so fingers crossed the new guy will make us all (fans, players) happy. 🙂

• Thumbs Up 1

This is a blow, especially going into the thick of Spring camp.  Right before Transfer portal coming up.  😢

Trusting Dan Lanning to bring in the next up and coming new coach with recruiting chops.  He's been excellent at this!

Report: Oregon RB coach Carlos Locklyn expected to take position at Ohio State

Oregon running back coach Carlos Locklyn is expected to take the same position with Ohio State based on a report from 247 Sports' Matt Zenitz.

The college football coaching carousel continues into the spring, as Oregon running back coach Carlos Locklyn is expected to take the same role at Ohio State, according to a report from 247 Sports' Matt Zenitz. 

The news was reported late on Sunday night. 

Ohio State expects to finalize a deal as soon as tomorrow to hire Oregon’s Carlos Locklyn as its new running backs coach, sources tell @247Sports.

After working at places like Florida State, Memphis and Western Kentucky, Locklyn has now developed players like current early-round… pic.twitter.com/4F5H2gJsBH

— Matt Zenitz (@mzenitz) April 1, 2024

Locklyn, fresh off inking a two-year extension with the Ducks, had been Oregon's running back coach for the prior two seasons, overseeing one of the Pac-12's best rushing offenses behind future NFL Draft pick Bucky Irving and talented reserve running backs Noah Whittington and Jordan James. Locklyn was also the main recruiter for redshirt freshman Jayden Limar and incoming freshman Da'Juan Riggs.

247SPORTS.COM

Oregon running back coach Carlos Locklyn is expected to take the same position with Ohio State based on a report from 247 Sports' Matt Zenitz.

I hope they don’t let him go especially to a new rival.

Pay the man!

• Thumbs Up 1

Sounds like big boy football to me!  Think this might become common in the new landscape of college football.  Weaken opposing teams coaching staffs by plucking them away for your own good.  This will tell whether Oregon is ready imo.  I just hope the running backs room doesn't him!😳

tOSU's running back room is in pretty good shape.

Not saying that means someone won't hit the portal but as noted the landscape has changed.

Maybe Lanning will look at someone such as Patrick Cobbs, of N. Texas?

MEANGREENSPORTS.COM

Former Mean Green and NFL running back Patrick Cobbs, a member of the North Texas Athletics Hall of Fame and the...

• Thumbs Up 1

"Another OD...Seems to be a lot of names floating around this one..."

Well, how many of those names float if the salary is similar to the $400K that Oregon just signed Locklyn?  That didn't last long.  If Oregon is willing to pay up, it should have been thinking about it in February when they signed Locklyn to an extension.

Nothing final on this yet but there is a lot of chatter and it seems most of the 24/7 crew believes it will happen.

It would be a shame to lose Coach Lock, particularly to tOSU. His operational knowledge of Stein's offense would be a benefit to them. He develops RBs well and more importantly, they rarely turn the ball over. I'm sure DL has a list of potential replacements that will emphasize ball security, but no doubt about it, this is a bummer.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Football Scoop say's no offer has been made from tOSU to Locklyn.

It is my hope UO matches any offer if/when made. Are you listening Coach Lanning? Get Rob to open his pockets and retain him!

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1