Mudslide

Carlos Locklyn ... It's A Done Deal

WWW.ELEVENWARRIORS.COM

Ohio State hires Oregon running backs coach Carlos Locklyn as its replacement for Tony Alford.

• Oh no! 3

I wonder if Newland Isaac is as good as advertised.  He has some pretty impressive awards and results.  He helped turn Coastal Carolina from a mid-successful team to undefeated and then Liberty to 13-1.  His team had the nation's highest rushing average.  Hmmm....

Newland Isaac - Co-Offensive Coordinator/Running Backs Coach - Football Coaches - Liberty University (libertyflames.com)

It's going to be a Battle of the Os on and off the field. Lots of intra-B1G coaching poaching going on.

I think that the RBs and their coach would be the first to admit that what they are able to do depends on the skill of the OC to develop and call the right play, the QB to make the correct read and the O-line to create a gap to run through.

If I had to choose between losing OC Stein, OL coach Terry and RB coach Locklyn, I suppose I would have to pick Lock.

I'm not going to claim that the RB coach is not an important part of the offense. What Coach Lock brought to Oregon was high talent players like Bucky, Noah and James, taught them how to hold on to the football and have the right mindset and physical skills to succeed at a high level. Oregon's run game has been huge the last two years and he will be missed in Eugene. But I am confident that DL will find the right guy to come in and fill the shoes and hopefully have the recruiting chops as well.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 4/1/2024 at 4:04 PM, Mudslide said:

I wonder if Newland Isaac is as good as advertised.  He has some pretty impressive awards and results.  He helped turn Coastal Carolina from a mid-successful team to undefeated and then Liberty to 13-1.  His team had the nation's highest rushing average.  Hmmm....

Newland Isaac - Co-Offensive Coordinator/Running Backs Coach - Football Coaches - Liberty University (libertyflames.com)

Isaac might be within reach... His 2022 salary was in the $274,000 range.

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
On 4/1/2024 at 8:35 PM, woundedknees said:

Isaac might be within reach... His 2022 salary was in the $274,000 range.

I would hope so.    His list of accomplishments is pretty stunning.  

Lock was getting almost $400k.

Edited by Mudslide

On 4/1/2024 at 7:04 PM, Mudslide said:

I like your choice Mudslide of Newland Isaac as Oregon's next RB coach.  Here's Ducks Wires thoughts of candidates:

Who replaces Carlos Locklyn as Oregon's RB coach? Top names for Duck fans to know

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Carlos Locklyn is leaving Oregon for Ohio State. So who do the Ducks replace him with?

• Thanks 1

Carlos Locklyn is leaving Oregon for Ohio State; 5 takeaways for Duck fans

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Carlos Locklyn is off to Ohio State. What’s next for the Ducks?

Oregon fans react to RB coach Carlos Locklyn taking job at Ohio State

The timing is a bit unfortunate, as Oregon now looks to replace Locklyn with a new RB coach midway through the spring football season.  The news also left a lot of Oregon fans reacting on social media, som with words of encouragement for Locklyn, and others with frustration.  Here are some of the top reactions after the news came out.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

A lot of Oregon fans are sad to see Carlos Locklyn leave.

While I understand that position coaches move around, it's particularly annoying when one takes the same position to a team in the same conference.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

Locklyn will land on his feet, but if this season disappoints Ryan Day's seat is very hot. The nuts are throwing a lot of money around and if that money doesn't buy improvement Locklyn may have chased a sinking boat.

November 30th is when Day either loses his job, or buys himself one more year.

Call me crazy, but this is the back story few are talking about.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 4/2/2024 at 10:54 AM, Annie said:

While I understand that position coaches move around, it's particularly annoying when one takes the same position to a team in the same conference.

Agreed! But lots of $ reasons for taking the new gig. 

Oregon salary: $400,000.00. tOSU's RB coach salary before leaving for Michigan: $772,500.00.

Michigan DC, Wink Martindale, is one of the if the highest paid assistant coach in the nation. 2024 - $2.3M; 2025 - $2.5M; 2026 - $$2.7M. 

And nationwide, the cost-of-living in Columbus, Ohio and in Ann Arbor, Michigan is reasonable. Less than the COL in Eugene; Eugene's COL is 24.8% higher than the COL in Columbus. Chip's cut in salary was softened by the COL in LA being 102% more expensive than in Columbus.  

Oregon should hire former Michigan RB coach Mike Hart, who was not happy with being passed over for the Michigan HC job, to complete the RB coach B1G triangle of RB coach hires: Ohio State to Michigan; Oregon to Ohio State; Michigan to Oregon. Can Oregon compete with the asistant coaching salaries paid by Ohio State and Michigan ? 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 2

Something just seems off to me in this story. Coach Lock’s RBs were one of the best groups in the country last year. Even so, he didn’t get the pay increase that the rest of the staff received and was gone just a couple weeks later.

I’m 100% on the Lanning train and back his judgment on these matters but it seems to me that he wasn’t completely sold on Coach Lock for some reason.

I fully expect another home run hire that out performs the last guy. That seems to be how coach Lanning roles.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 2

While I certainly don't love Lock leaving, I can understand the probable reason why ($$$).  I think if OBD can hold onto what I can the "core" coaches (HC/OC/DC) for an extended period then things are fine if a position coach or two changes each season.  Talented up-and-comer coaches are always looking for the next step after all...

Based on the article NJDuck posted, this would be my initial top 3 preferred coaches to fill in:

1. Former Michigan RB Coach Mike Hart.  The Wolverines' rush offense was pretty decent, certainly good enough to help win a national title.  Would seem appropriate to bring him in as he's got a lot of experience against B10 competition.  Little bit weird that he hasn't snagged another gig by now but maybe he's just taking time to decompress.

2. UTSA RB Coach Julian Griffin.  He worked in Will Stein's offense for 2 years at UTSA, producing a pretty darn good rush offense.  That familiarity with Stein's offensive philosophy and schemes would make him the easiest candidate to hit the ground running quickly if he were hired.  Plus he'd probably bring some good Texas recruiting connections.

3. Georgia Offensive Analyst Darrell Dickey.  This one's a little left field given DL's preference for younger coaches.  But given the relative inexperience at HC and OC, bringing in an old hand with 35 years of coaching experience to balance things out for a couple seasons makes sense (at least to me).  High IQ is not the same as wisdom afterall.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

I'm doubtful Whittington will follow Locklyn this time given the stable of RBs already there, but you never know.

Any current RBs could hit the portal given the coaching change, so we'll have to keep our figures crossed everyone stays.

On 4/2/2024 at 10:32 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

Something just seems off to me in this story. Coach Lock’s RBs were one of the best groups in the country last year. Even so, he didn’t get the pay increase that the rest of the staff received and was gone just a couple weeks later.

I’m 100% on the Lanning train and back his judgment on these matters but it seems to me that he wasn’t completely sold on Coach Lock for some reason.

I fully expect another home run hire that out performs the last guy. That seems to be how coach Lanning roles.

Interesting point. Their likely were chemistry issues, maybe even with some of the areas of teaching techniques that weren't what Lanning and Stein wanted him to focus on.

One thing I really loved about Locklyn is his players almost never fumbled. That is not easy to achieve.

• Thumbs Up 4

Hart? Would be a great hire to complete the RB coach poaching trifecta but the salary would have to be in the range of $750,000 and up. 

• Applause 1

On 4/2/2024 at 10:32 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

We don't know. Maybe Lock was talking seriously with tOSU, talked with Lanning about it, and Oregon couldn't match the offer. ???

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1

Lock was not considered a great recruiter.  Sure he got Whittington and Bucky from the portal.  He got Limar and Dowdell from HS but Dowdell left because he knew he would be at least 4th on the depth chart this coming season. 

I was told his recruiting chops were considered below average  by multiple people with contacts in the AD so he may have been looking around.

On 4/2/2024 at 1:51 PM, Augduck said:

Lock was not considered a great recruiter.  Sure he got Whittington and Bucky from the portal.  He got Limar and Dowdell from HS but Dowdell left because he knew he would be at least 4th on the depth chart this coming season. 

I was told his recruiting chops were considered below average  by multiple people with contacts in the AD so he may have been looking around.

I do not doubt you, but how does he fail upward then?

Dan will hire well.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

The fact that Lock’s guys didn’t fumble is a huge selling point for him. I also get the sneaking suspicion that Chip and Gary Campbell were involved.

• Thumbs Up 1

Im with Lanning- Time to move on and get better. Theres a reason Oregon didnt offer more $$$$, and it wasnt for the lack of it.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 4/2/2024 at 2:08 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Dan will hire well.

Charles, are you actually implying that the tOSU job is a step up from OBD?  😉 That sounds almost sacreligious coming from our faithful leader LOL. 

In all seriousness, I understand the money is likely much better, but other than that still seems like more of a lateral move than a true step up.

On 4/2/2024 at 6:18 PM, SilverDuck said:

Charles, are you actually implying that the tOSU job is a step up from OBD?  😉 That sounds almost sacreligious coming from our faithful leader LOL. 

Gotta keep it real. How many national championships has Ohio State won? (And we have not won any)

How many times have they been in the playoffs in the last 10 years compared to us? At the present, they are a step higher, until we prove otherwise.

And this year is the beginning of that step for OBD!

• Thanks 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

My thought is that there is a "structure" to any program's coaching staff; and, Oregon didn't feel the need to blow up that structure to keep the RB coach.

I'm certainly not at all affiliated with the Eleven Warriors web site; but, I found it when Oregon was heading to play tOSU it was a decent site.

There are at least 2, if not 3 long threads about tOSU's RB coach dating back some time and it is pretty clear Locklyn was not a primarily target in the search.

Doesn't really matter except possibly to the point grabbing Locklyn isn't exactly some huge grand slam kind of move. Other coaches pretty much obviously targeted ahead of CL.

The real advantage IMO is forcing Oregon to work to scrub anything CL might know from its playbook before the teams face. And I believed Oregon will do that. Some familiarity with the playbook and players won't kill Oregon but it is something for a guy up against it; and, Day might be coming close to that point (others probably will have an opinion there).

Just like at DBs, if Oregon grabs a young hotshot recruiter to fill the void and grow into the spot? It very well may not the home run tOSU fans think and Oregon very well may improve in that spot.

Not bag on CL as I do think he a good eye for the position; but, is that quite such an asset for a program that doesn't exactly recruit a lot of diamonds into the rough?

I read a few of Lanning's comments following the move - and despite everything - I feel pretty good Lanning is playing chess with a bunch of guys playing checkers. If Oregon felt going to bat for it's RB coach was the line, I tend to believe the response might have changed. The fact it didn't? To me suggests Oregon is fairly comforting pivoting.

Edited by AnotherOD
  • Great post! 3
  • Applause 1

I'm of the opinion that playbooks aren't necessarily in need of scrapping because another team knows it. Formations can produce several plays with misdirection baked in. It really comes down to execution. Route running is paramount. Blocking is essential. Spead is mandatory. Now, the QB can slaughter the other team even if they know the playbook inside and out. 

I'm going with Offensive Line play and QB uprightness. If DoG is what everyone thinks he is then he should shred the other team regardless. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/3/2024 at 7:14 AM, 1Funduck said:

I'm of the opinion that playbooks aren't necessarily in need of scrapping because another team knows it.

Most of the plays in a playbook are the same for all schools.  An Inside Zone Read is an Inside Zone Read for all schools for example, but the question is...when are they running it?  The playbook does not tell the opposing DC that, nor which 40 plays in the playbook (out of hundreds) are in the game-plan for this game, IMHO.

ngcb2

• Applause 2

Mr. FishDuck

I mostly agree with the above posts.  But I'd also posit that Michigan and the New England Patriots demonstrated that knowing what play is coming is a big advantage.

On 4/2/2024 at 5:12 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

The fact that Lock’s guys didn’t fumble is a huge selling point for him. I also get the sneaking suspicion that Chip and Gary Campbell were involved.

How would Chip and Campbell be involved?

I know Locklyn had him at practice on occasion but not following how they would have been involved.

On 4/2/2024 at 2:08 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Dan will hire well.

One might say Dan's predecessor falls into the failing upward category. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Whole lot of poachin' goin' on!

SPORTS.YAHOO.COM

The Ohio State Buckeyes have poached a running backs coach from another Big Ten program.

What a world man. Ten years ago we wouldn't likely know who Locklyn was. A RB coach, not a coordinator. But today we know the salary it takes to poach him.

Charles is correct when he speaks on the playbook being inconsequential. After all, if you are making at least half a million a year coaching, you should know what an inside or outside read is. You should know zone blocking or what RPO means. A RB coach isn't dialing up plays in game anyway. He is doing the coaching all week.

Footwork, ball handling, learning audibles. Reading defensive positioning to determine if the linebacker is coming in to rush or dropping out to cover. 

It's not knowing the playbook that got Michigan in trouble. It's about knowing the signs. They had scouts go to other games with equipment to spy on signs. These guys were paid to do this. Harbaugh knows Day's playbook. What he shouldn't have known was the signs to signal the exact timing of those plays.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/3/2024 at 11:23 AM, Augduck said:

How would Chip and Campbell be involved?

I know Locklyn had him at practice on occasion but not following how they would have been involved.

We only see that Lock had him to practice on occasion. We don’t know what kind of personal relationship they developed in the past couple of years. If anybody knows what it’s like to be a minority football coach in Eugene it’s Gary Campbell. He could provide the kind of mentorship that Lock might not find within the staff.

Chip may have reached out to Campbell to gauge Lock’s interest or to see if Campbell thought he might be a good fit for Chip’s coaching style and offensive philosophy. Smart coaches often use their personal relationships as part of their candidate search. The interview is part of the process but it’s not the only factor.

Everybody needs to remember that just because a coach is successful in Eugene doesn’t mean he is going to succeed elsewhere. It’s not always because they don’t perform well. Sometimes they take a job with a head coach who isn’t doing too well. Klemm and Donte Williams are two recent examples. However, I have high hopes for Dilly.

Agree I don't really mean playbook. Right now I'm sure tOSU has a group of coaches, analysts, and staff pouring over every offensive and defensive snap Oregon has ran for at least the last two seasons.

They will have viewed and recorded essentially Oregon's offensive playbook and probably will have every play available to be viewed and reviewed at the push of a button.

I'd say it's more about understanding what offensively Oregon likes to do down and distance, how it scripts it's plays, what it likes to go to in certain field positions and with certain time on the clock. Obviously personal on both sides of the ball (where the coaching staff feels good, and where it might be concerned -- strengths and weaknesses), audible design and philosophy. Prior to this year obviously signals (and I'm sure there are a series of line of scrimmage signals/calls planned to be used once the helmet communication cuts out, that will require extra attention now). Anything extra you can show or do that requires a team to used it's prep time up, should add up to an advantage.

I would say it's one thing to study and try to understand and prepare for a philosophy; and, quite another to have someone who knows it to absolutely confirm things.

Not to say it is an insurmountable obstacle, only that it will require work. Was it Ryan Day's primary motivation? I'd agree likely not. However, with much chatter last year his seat might be getting warm, I'm sure having special insight into what has to be considered tOSU's statistically most difficult opponent, can't hurt. Obviously adding Chip who studied and prepared to play Oregon in 2022 is similarly a resource.