Charles Fischer

Bo Nix No. 12 Pick to Denver: NFL Draft Thread of Thoughts and Reactions

See the thread below and give us your thoughts on the NFL Draft.

NFL Logo_Adrian Curiel, Courtesy of Unsplash+.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

If anyone else can jump in...  Here is a link to the picks...

Picks thus far...

1.   Caleb Williams to Chicago Bears

2.   Jayden Daniels to Washington Commanders

3.   Drake Maye to New England Patriots

4.   Marvin Harrison to Arizona Cardinals

5.   Joe Alt, Offensive Tackle with only one sack allowed in two seasons to the Los Angeles Chargers

6.   Malik Nabers, WR to NY Giants

7.   JC Latham, OL, to Tennessee Titans

8.   Michael Penix to Atlanta Falcons

9.   Rome Odunze to Chicago Bears

10. J.J. McCarthy to my Minnesota Vikings  (AAAGH!)

11. Olumuyiwa Fashanu, OL, to NY Jets

12. Bo Nix to Denver!

13. Brock Bowers to the Las Vegas Raiders

14. Taliese Fuaga, OL from Oregon State, to New Orleans Saints

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

Ughh…I will need to watch Bronco football on purpose.

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Oh no! 1
  • Haha 1
  • Mic drop 1

Nix to Denver #12

• Go Ducks! 1

I just hope Denver has a decent O line.

So awesome for Bo. He’s going to be better than the pundits think.

• Thumbs Up 1

Nix Selected 12th Overall by Broncos

EUGENE, Ore. — Oregon quarterback Bo Nix was selected by the Denver Broncos with the No. 12 overall pick in the 2024 NFL Draft on Thursday night.

Nix becomes the seventh Duck quarterback ever to be drafted in the first round, joining Justin Herbert (2020), Marcus Mariota (2015), Joey Harrington (2002), Akili Smith (1999), Chris Miller (1987) and George Shaw (1955).

Oregon has now had a first-round pick in five straight NFL Drafts, with Nix following Herbert (2020), Penei Sewell (2021), Kayvon Thibodeaux (2022) and Christian Gonzalez (2023).

Oregon now has 22 total first-round picks in program history, including 10 since 2013 and 13 since 2000. Nix becomes the first Duck ever to be taken by the Broncos in the first round and the 10th overall to be drafted by Denver, reuniting with former center Alex Forsyth who was a seventh-round pick in 2023.

The fourth Heisman Trophy finalist in program history and fourth Duck to be named the conference offensive player of the year, Nix put together one of the greatest seasons ever by an Oregon quarterback in 2023 to cap his collegiate career. He led the nation in passing touchdowns (45) while ranking second in passing yards per game (322.0), passing yards (4,508) and passer rating (188.32), and he set a new NCAA single-season record with a stellar 77.45 completion percentage (364-of-470).

Bo Nix_Eric Evans of Oregon Football Twitter (2).jpg

Nix set Oregon single-season records for completions, passing yards and passing touchdowns, and became the first Duck ever to surpass 4,500 passing yards in a season. He also threw just three interceptions, becoming the first FBS player since at least 2000 to record at least 45 passing touchdowns and no more than three picks in a season.

A native of Pinson, Ala., Nix left Oregon as the program’s all-time leader in completion percentage at 74.9% (658-of-879), and he is the only UO quarterback ever to post a completion percentage of 70.0 or better in a season, also doing so in 2022 (71.9, 294-of-409). Despite playing just two seasons in Eugene, Nix also ranks third in program history in career completions (658), third in passing touchdowns (74) and fifth in passing yards (8,101).

Nix was also the winner of the 2023 William V. Campbell Trophy, presented to the nation’s top scholar-athlete for the best combination of academic success, athletic performance and exemplary leadership.

Oregon All-Time First Round Picks
2024 – QB Bo Nix, No. 12 (Denver Broncos)

2023 – DB Christian Gonzalez, No. 17 (New England Patriots)
2022 – DE Kayvon Thibodeaux, No. 5 (New York Giants)
2021 – OT Penei Sewell, No. 7 (Detroit Lions)
2020 – QB Justin Herbert, No. 6 (Los Angeles Chargers)
2016 – DE DeForest Buckner, No. 7 (San Francisco 49ers)
2015 – QB Marcus Mariota, No. 2 (Tennessee Titans)
2015 – DT Arik Armstead, No. 15 (San Francisco 49ers)
2013 – OLB Dion Jordan, No. 3 (Miami Dolphins)
2013 – OG Kyle Long, No. 20 (Chicago Bears)
2008 – RB Jonathan Stewart, No. 13 (Carolina Panthers)
2006 – DT Haloti Ngata, No. 12 (Baltimore Ravens)
2002 – QB Joey Harrington, No. 3 (Detroit Lions)
1999 – QB Akili Smith, No. 3 (Cincinnati Bengals)
1996 – DB Alex Molden, No. 11 (New Orleans Saints)
1987 – QB Chris Miller, No. 13 (Atlanta Falcons)
1976 – DB Mario Clark, No. 18 (Buffalo Bills)
1975 – TE Russ Francis, No. 16 (New England Patriots)
1972 – WR Ahmad Rashad, No. 4 (St. Louis Cardinals)
1972 – OT Tim Drougas, No. 22 (Baltimore Colts)
1968 – DB Jim Smith, No. 12 (Washington)
1955 – QB George Shaw, No. 1 (Baltimore Colts)

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Booger McFarland has proven that he’s just a mouthpiece who doesn’t do any statistical research. He called Bo a “dink and dunk” passer at Oregon. He probably should’ve pulled his head out of his butt long enough to watch a Ducks game film.

Perfect fit for BO. HUZZAH! 

On 4/25/2024 at 9:45 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

Booger McFarland has proven that he’s just a mouthpiece who doesn’t do any statistical research. He called Bo a “dink and dunk” passer at Oregon. He probably should’ve pulled his head out of his butt long enough to watch a Ducks game film.

He is an SEC guy through and through including his prediction that there was no way could beat Bama and no way Michigan could beat Bama. The 'new B1G' is ahead of the 'new SEC' through the pick Nix.

On 4/25/2024 at 7:37 PM, Drake said:

Ughh…I will need to watch Bronco football on purpose.

Being a Raiders fan I'm not happy about this, for some reason I don't hate the Charges as much as I hate the Broncos. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Glad Denver picked him, I think coaching-wise it was the best place for him.

Now where’s JPJ?? Some center from Duke got picked before him?

On 4/25/2024 at 8:17 PM, Dave23 said:

Being a Raiders fan I'm not happy about this, for some reason I don't hate the Charges as much as I hate the Broncos. 

Grinning Elway is the first thing that comes to mind for the hatred…for me at least.

I had visions of Bo in the silver and black for a hot minute!

• Applause 1

Is Belichick going to just say he has reservations about all the first round QB's other than Williams?

Salary and signing bonus details for Denver Broncos QB Bo Nix

According to OverTheCap, Bo Nix’s contract with Denver is worth $18,613,158. Since it’s a first-round contract, the length of the deal is 4 years, with a fifth-year team option. Nix’s signing bonus is projected to be worth $10,356,840 .

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Former Oregon Ducks QB Bo Nix has been selected by the Denver Broncos in the 2024 NFL Draft. Here are the details of his contract.

Wow, stays at Auburn, may not get drafted. Transfers to Oregon, goes in the 1st round, keep the qb's, and elite transfers coming!

I will also say Denver drafted him for all the right reasons, for both parties, well done!

giphy.gif

• Thumbs Up 3

Couldn't have happened to a better guy!  I was pleasantly surprised at the pick by Denver and thought they may have traded "back" to pickup Nix in the second.  I do believe the "crux" point was 5 quarterbacks taken in first ten picks.  That run of QB's locked Bo into the Denver pick, if Denver was to draft a QB in this draft cycle.

Of all the places he could have landed I believe Denver probably gives him the best situation towards success.  With that team being in rebuilding mode after that disastrous trade with Seattle and an "experienced" NFL QB already onboard to carry the team for a couple years; Bo will have the opportunity to compete without necessarily being thrown into the fire as a rookie.  Probably the best situation for him.  (Unless of course he Earns the right of trial by fire...lol)

The fact that we now shall be getting ten years or more of Mahomes/Herbert/Nix divisional battles, twice a year between each, has me giddy in anticipation of the entertainment value of AFC West football.

Now lets get another half dozen or so Duck Draftees into the NFL over the next couple days.  (Could Franklin drop to the third round and have Denver pick him up as a bookend to Bo?) The Duck force is strong with these playa's!

GO Nix Broncos, Go Duck draftees, Go Duck Nation!

Win the Draft!  🦆🏈🔥

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 4/25/2024 at 8:28 PM, kirklandduck said:

Glad Denver picked him, I think coaching-wise it was the best place for him.

Now where’s JPJ?? Some center from Duke got picked before him?

That one made me raise both eyebrows. A Dukie better than Rimington winner JPJ? The competition level was certainly tougher in the Pac-12 (RIP).

The only thing that I can see is that maybe Barton is a bit bigger and more versatile having played LT for two years and that the Bucs wanted to be able to move him around. Still, hard to argue that JPJ isn't the best center in the draft.

My bet is he goes early in the 2nd round later today. He also can play at the guard spot but not really suited to be an OT. He has that edge of pure nasty that will make some team very happy, wherever he plays between the tackles.

I would love to see JPJ, TFrank and Dorlus all come off today with Bucky and Tysheem as potential move ups. Still very possible that EvanW goes late rounds and that Oregon will have it's first seven man draft class.

Oh yeah, and to hades with those 'experts' like BoogerMac who call Bo a dink and dunk QB. Like Sean Payton can't recognize the smarts and talent to fit his scheme.

Same bozos that thought JH would get some coach fired (well yep, Lynn got fired, but because LAC needed an upgrade to develop Justin) or that Harbaugh would trade him to move up and take JJMcC in the draft. All graduates of the Bayless-Acho school of clickbait lame sports journalism.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 4/26/2024 at 6:27 AM, Haywarduck said:

Wow, stays at Auburn, may not get drafted. Transfers to Oregon, goes in the 1st round, keep the qb's, and elite transfers coming!

I will also say Denver drafted him for all the right reasons, for both parties, well done!

giphy.gif

Just a $28 million dollar choice, no biggie. Just kidding. Our new transfer qbs are feeling pretty good about their decisions right about now..

Best landing spot possible for Bo. So many comps to Drew Brees, should be a great fit.

Coach Payton is happy to have Bo as a Bronco.

WWW.YARDBARKER.COM

The Broncos weren’t deterred when they saw five quarterbacks get drafted over the first 10 picks of the 2024 NFL Draft. They apparently still were able to get their guy.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bo, whoever Clark Dalton may be please make him eat his words. 

"Freeze up/" Like leading the Ducks to a game-tying FG (Oops) in Seattle at the end of the 4th quarter? Where do they find guys like Mr. Clark?

WWW.YARDBARKER.COM

If you need more proof that the NFL is geared toward offense, look no further than the first round of Thursday's draft. 

Drake Maye an A? Eh? As I recall, Bo and his Ducks beat Drake head-to-head?

• Thumbs Up 1

Bo was "underwhelming at Auburn?" Playing for Dilly, Bo was the SEC Freshman of the Year. This was 'underwhelming?'

WWW.YARDBARKER.COM

A sixth QB has come off the board, and the Broncos are indeed among the teams which have added a new signal-caller.

I trust Sean Payton's opinion more than some obscure 'journalist.'

Denver has 7 picks left in the 2024 draft, many the opportunity to bring in WR help for Bo. This is a deep WR group. Reuniting with Troy would be nice.

WWW.YARDBARKER.COM

As we've seen throughout NFL history, a quarterback's situation is just as important to their success as their ability.

• Thumbs Up 2

Best of luck to Bo!

I'm thinking he'll make some ESPN clowns eat crow.

• Thumbs Up 2

RIP Pac-12. How did 'They' screw 'This' up?

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

Here is the breakdown of the NFL Draft's first round by conference and school

The Big Ten Network is including the four new members in its coverage of the draft. BTN had terrific coverage of the pending Oregon spring game.

CBS Much Too Early 1st Round 2025 NFL draft has eight players being selected from the B1G. 

Notably, 6 of the 8 first-rounders are Buckeyes. Ohio State had one 1st round draft pick, Marvin Harrison, in 2024 but has all of its draft-eligible stud other than Harrison returning in 2024. 

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

It's time for our first look at next year's draft ... and it comes the morning after night one of this year's draft

This guy is not aware of Evan Stewart transferring to Oregon? That would be 8 B1G players drafted in the 1st round including Ezan. I have no idea if this SEC-centric guy, the SEC with 15 1st round picks, realizes that the B1G is expanding to 18 teams. 

Edited by Jon Joseph

JPJ won’t make it past the Cowboys in Round 2. He’s likely to get snatched up before then due to his versatility. 

I’m looking forward to the Bo/Herb biannual matchups. If Bo can grasp Payton’s system then they should have some great games.

Just noted ... an ex-Duck, Trey Benson, went no. 66 to the Cardinals.

Was Troy Franklin’s combine numbers really that bad? I’m scratching my head over the WR’s that have been drafted over him.

On 4/27/2024 at 6:02 AM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

Was Troy Franklin’s combine numbers really that bad? I’m scratching my head over the WR’s that have been drafted over him.

He's too skinny/weak and didn't run the gauntlet drill in a straight line are the two reasons I'm seeing. Could be the teams that were interested in him over thought it and went with a less risky pick and nobody else was really paying attention.

It sounds weird but people are assumed to not be available after a certain point in the draft so if they miss that window they can fall farther than they should.

• Thanks 1

On 4/27/2024 at 6:56 AM, Solar said:

He's too skinny/weak and didn't run the gauntlet drill in a straight line are the two reasons I'm seeing. Could be the teams that were interested in him over thought it and went with a less risky pick and nobody else was really paying attention.

It sounds weird but people are assumed to not be available after a certain point in the draft so if they miss that window they can fall farther than they should.

Yes, he should have stayed another year to improve, lot of quality WRs this year. That being said, someone will get a great value pick on him…it is hard to believe there were at least 16 WRs better than Franklin last year though.

• Applause 1

He dropped one out of every ten passes thrown to him, and I believe that is the reason.

Troy Franklin_Eric Evans of Oregon Football Twitter.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Add 13 New B1G team picks and the B1G leads the SEC in total picks with more picks to come.

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

The Wolverines have seven draft picks during the first two days of the 2024 NFL Draft

Spread the word to Cyclops, CBS is now a B1G and not an SEC broadcast partner.

To date, the New B1G has 45 players drafted (7 OR + UW, 3 SC, 1 UCLA) and the New Big has 39 including six from Texas and one from Oklahoma. After seven rounds, the New B1G should finish No. 1.

COLLEGEFOOTBALLNETWORK.COM

The 2024 NFL Draft will see 257 athletes find a new home at the professional level, but which conferences were the most prolific at producing next-level talent?

• Applause 1

On 4/26/2024 at 10:39 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Denver has 7 picks left in the 2024 draft, many the opportunity to bring in WR help for Bo. This is a deep WR group. Reuniting with Troy would be nice.

Ask and you shall receive.....by way of the 4th round move by Denver!  

Could this be another Burrows/Chase situation unfolding in Denver?

I think so.

Go Ducks!

• Thumbs Up 1

Interesting drama caused by the bizarre decision-making by Atlanta in taking Pennix.

FANSIDED.COM

The Broncos, Vikings and Raiders were all on the same page. The Falcons created chaos.

Sheesh...

Im a Cowboy fan who supported the Chargers and NOW I have to support the Broncos who in the same division as the Chargers. 😪😪

Herbert vs Nix. Im torn

Eric Mangini was bad mouthing Nix on Cowherd's show.....judging by the "weird reaction" in the Bronco's war room when the pick was made.  Claims they wanted McCarthy instead and settled for Bo.

Seemed unnecessarily disparaging and an odd position to take given Payton's immediate reaction to the pick.

• Thanks 1

2024 draft final number of picks.

New SEC - 73 - Texas 11/ Oklahoma 3. Does Sark have the roster strength and the coaching chops to replace 11 players and justify the preseason ranking at No. 2, 3, or 4? This has to be close to an all-time low for Oklahoma. Oklahoma will be preseason ranked around No. 12 but looking at the schedule, Oklahoma may be fortunate to finish in the top 20.

New B1G - 70 - Michigan with 13 picks did not take the single draft record, 15 picks, from Georgia. UW 10 - one reason along with $10.5M a year why DeBoer left Seattle/ Oregon 9 with a 4th-round surge/ USC 7/ UCLA 2. 

Between the Power 2, 55% of the players drafted in 2024. The B1G and SEC, playoff payouts are well-earned; especially, when you add the playoff appearances by the Power 2. 12 for the SEC, and 9 for the B1G in 10 playoff seasons. The ACC is well represented only because of Clemson.

B12 draft results - 31, with 17 from Texas and Oklahoma. 

ACC draft results - 41, with 16 coming from the two schools litigating with the conference, Clemson and FSU.

I did not include the New B12 and ACC teams. The inclusion of the New ACC's Cal, Stanford, and SMU, and the New B12's 4 corner schools addition, would not make a significant difference to the totals.

Clemson and FSU escape from the ACC and join the SEC, and Notre Dame and UNC, for example, join the B1G, why not a World Series playoff between the Power 2? How much value would other programs add? 

Edited by Jon Joseph

A ranking of draft picks by conferences including new conference member teams.

https://collegefootballnews.com/nfl-draft/college-football-conference-2024-nfl-draft-rankings-which-league-had-the-best-draft

PFF's team draft rankings.

WWW.PFF.COM

PFF grades all 32 teams' 2024 NFL Draft classes after three days and seven rounds of selections.

Denver with an A- grade from folks who watch the players play in detail.

Edited by Jon Joseph

The guy Nix reminds me of is Kurt Warner. Warner and Nix just keep grinding and I think Nix will end up successful just like Warner did. I look at the last two years at Auburn as comparable to Warners struggles after college. Both had to make some tough decisions and sharpen up their games. Agree Nix started out well, and Warner had some great games in college too.

Brees is another one can compare, but I like the Warner comparison a little better. Brees was just underestimated, never really struggled.

In the end grateful he came to Oregon and wish him the best of luck over the long haul! Definitely seems like a young man who will land on his feet.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1