Charles Fischer

Oregon TV Kickoff at 9:00 AM: Are you IN?

My brain is so wired about Our Beloved Ducks these days, that I am really pondering some off-the-wall stuff.  What if we had a B1G away game, and they wanted to start put us in the noon or 12:30 PM EST slot.  It would be on TV, and because of the attractive time and because it is Oregon...it might be an option someday.

I recall in 2014, when we played Wyoming at home, and the start time was actually 10:00 AM, and people tailgated with Breakfast Burritos and Cinnamon Rolls.  But again, my question is an away game on TV that starts at 9:00 AM or 9:30 AM PST....are you in?

Arik Armstead_Craig Strobeck.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

absolutely ; watching tv is easy.

• Thumbs Up 1

devils-harvest-breakfast-ipa-by-southern-prohibition-brewing.jpg

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Oh yea!  9 am on a Saturday let’s me sleep in and still be in front of the TV in time.

I may have Baileys and coffee instead of Black Butte Porter until lunch time, but I think I could make that sacrifice…

Bloody Mary time!

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

In 2021 when Oregon was at Ohio State we had a 9am kick off that day. 

That was pre-kids for me and I found that an acceptable start time. 

Now I have 2 kids and I'm up before 9 anyways. So 9am kickoff is fine with me. 

I'm one of those people who likes earlier in the day kick offs or later in the evening kickoffs. That way I have most of the middle of my day to do things. 

Granted I usually consume Duck football via the TV and I don't go to many games. 

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

They could be playing at 3:00 AM and I would be watching. That being said, with DVR it is often more enjoyable to just start watching a game an hour or two after it starts anyway. Then you can just fast forward through all the commercials, halftime, etc.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Haha 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

Can’t really be called a true fan if a clock gets in the way of watching a good game. 

Use to watching the morning slot with other teams as is, so heck yes.

Edited by JabbaNoBargain
  • Go Ducks! 1

Just as long as we get rid of the late kickoffs everything else is welcome. I like watching College game day and am always ready for the early games.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Of course. 

On 4/29/2024 at 6:28 PM, TerryM9 said:

Just as long as we get rid of the late kickoffs everything else is welcome. I like watching College game day and am always ready for the early games.

One or two late games would still be nice. Night games have something special about them. 

But being constantly relegated to late night isn't pleasant. 

Even if Oregon gets some late night games the coverage of them the following day would be much greater in the B1G with the B1G network. 

• Applause 1

Is that a question? I'm watching game day at 6 AM. It's always an upper yo watch the DUCKS.

9am. 9pm.  And Anytime in between.  The "time construct" we all live in has NO bearing on a rabid Duck fans viewing pleasures.  Kauhlua and coffee (am),  Fine Oregon IPA's (early pm), or a 12yo bourbon on the rocks (late pm).

I shall be "primed" and ready to let my Duckdom pour out in unabashedly "fan"atical ways, regardless of the time of day/night it is to be released!

Bring on the B1G!  Go Ducks!

🦆🏈👍

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

When the Ducks play WA, USC, UCLA, and Oregon State will probably be the most likely night games. Oh, and OCC games against less-than-top-tier teams.

I doubt most West Coast fans know that 8 of the 14 current BigTen schools are in the Eastern Time Zone, not Central.

Thus, a 9:00 am kickoff is 12 Noon for the home team at those 8 schools.  It is 11:00 am for the other 6.

I do worry about how well visitors from the West can adjust to 9:00 am PT kickoffs.  Arrival on Friday does little to help adjust.

I was in Jerusalem on November 3, 2012 with a church group and found an Irish sports bar (yep, they've got them and it served Guinness. I bought our pastor a pint 😎) that put the USC-Oregon game on for us. It started at 1am local time.

We watched most of Kenyon Barner's record setting rushing performance and the high scoring seesaw until they kicked us out at 4am. We then hoofed it back to our hotel where we watched the last 5 minutes on someone's laptop. Memorable. 

So it doesn't matter what time a game starts for the rabid Duck fan. 9am is just fine by me. I am hoping that there will be fewer 8pm starts, but I imagine we will still get stuck with one when we play USC, UCLA or the Fuskies.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1

As reported on The Athletic -

A B1G game will be broadcast on Friday night, carried on Fox/ FS1/ and/or The B1g Ten Network (BTN.)

Saturday - ALL Times Pacific -

9 AM - Fox/ 12:30 CBS/ Prime Time - Between 4:30 and 7:30 PM - NBC/Peacock.

Games will also be shown every week on BTN.

On 4/30/2024 at 2:14 PM, EastBayDuckDad said:

I was in Jerusalem on November 3, 2012 with a church group and found an Irish sports bar (yep, they've got them and it served Guinness. I bought our pastor a pint 😎) that put the USC-Oregon game on for us. It started at 1am local time.

We watched most of Kenyon Barner's record setting rushing performance and the high scoring seesaw until they kicked us out at 4am. We then hoofed it back to our hotel where we watched the last 5 minutes on someone's laptop. Memorable. 

So it doesn't matter what time a game starts for the rabid Duck fan. 9am is just fine by me. I am hoping that there will be fewer 8pm starts, but I imagine we will still get stuck with one when we play USC, UCLA or the Fuskies.

Kosher Guinness? Who knew?

On 4/30/2024 at 7:58 AM, Chuc007 said:

Is that a question? I'm watching game day at 6 AM. It's always an upper yo watch the DUCKS.

In South Carolina, I begin watching my tape of GameDay at Noon Eastern. Then, watch the games I want to watch on tape without having to watch the Boz police Fansville. 

10:30 Eastern games are viewed on Sunday. 

On 4/30/2024 at 2:23 AM, David Marsh said:

One or two late games would still be nice. Night games have something special about them. 

But being constantly relegated to late night isn't pleasant. 

Even if Oregon gets some late night games the coverage of them the following day would be much greater in the B1G with the B1G network. 

BTN CFB coverage includes post-game coach press conferences.

On 4/29/2024 at 9:28 PM, TerryM9 said:

A Friday night game will be broadcast by NBC/Peacock almost every Friday during the season. We are likely to see a lot of Pac-4 Newbies games broadcast on Friday nights.

On 5/2/2024 at 12:11 PM, Jon Joseph said:

A Friday night game will be broadcast by NBC/Peacock almost every Friday during the season. We are likely to see a lot of Pac-4 Newbies games broadcast on Friday nights.

OK, if it is going to be a night game, then a Friday night game...when there are few options for viewers is ideal.  B1G fans wanting to check out Oregon will watch some and record the rest, thus our viewership on Fridays could be superb.

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

I like a night game every once in a while, then again I don't have kids, so I understand why others hate them.  I like a mix through the season, some 12:30 kicks, some 3:00, some 5:00, maybe one 7:00 at home.  As long as we don't have more than one 9:00AM and two 7:30 kick times I'll be happy.

I'm a huge Liverpool FC supporter, so early morning kickoffs are normal to me, if I can wake up for a 4:30 match against Norwich I can get up and be ready for a Oregon game against Michigan St. or Rutgers or whoever.  Just don't make it a habit

Edited by spartan2785

On 5/2/2024 at 2:38 PM, spartan2785 said:

I like a night game every once in a while, then again I don't have kids, so I understand why others hate them. 

For tv watching I like 7pm games with kids. They're in bed not long after kickoff so the game gets my undivided attention. 

At some point I'll probably end up going to a game with my daughters and I'll probably not want a 7pm kick off for that. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/2/2024 at 2:54 PM, David Marsh said:

For tv watching I like 7pm games with kids. They're in bed not long after kickoff so the game gets my undivided attention. 

At some point I'll probably end up going to a game with my daughters and I'll probably not want a 7pm kick off for that. 

Yeah, I more meant home games, away games are pretty easy I would think as long as you don't get into the power struggle when you need to put them to bed (then again I'm sure for some parents that's a constant struggle 😂)