Charles Fischer

Cool! Matthew Knight Arena Court Redesign Reveal

The video is barely over a minute is all, and let's you see it!

Gone is the brown, and between all the green and the "O" 

there won't be any doubt on TV where the game is played!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Cool 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 8

Mr. FishDuck

While it is better, it's still terrible, if they simply went to a design where the trees were on the near camera side of the court it would be fine, but by making the trees all around it becomes cluttered and distracting, very disappointed by this.

Edit: I'll amend my first thoughts after really looking at it...I like the green on the baselines/sidelines, I like the lettering of the "Fighting Ducks" and "Mighty Oregon", I simply don't like the trees that wrap around and then on the far sideline.  I just think you had a way to go in the middle and they failed to find a good medium there. 

Edited by spartan2785

I like it. It will be much easier to watch on TV, which was the main problem.

I found it far less annoying when watching a game in person.

It's bold. 

And it kinda has a new school-old school vibe to it. 

The trees being the new... But just have bold blocks of color gives it a bit of an old look to it. 

Personally... I like it. 

Though I think I would have liked it just as much without the trees and just the bold green. 

One thing is for certain... Everyone is not going to forget where they're playing.

I was hoping that the trees would be gone but I really like this new design.

The truth is that you can't please everyone. I don't believe you could get closer to accomplishing that than they did with this new court.

I do hope everyone understands the Tall Firs aren't the new, or something we should get rid of. The Tall Firs are our history and something we should be very proud of.

I will agree brown trees just made no sense.

• Applause 1

The different color scheme makes the trees less distracting than before, but I still think the trees make the court look too busy.

My biggest problem is that the lines aren’t color contrasted with the trees (i.e., different base color).

I’m a very visual person, so having a green three point line that essentially disappears over the top of a slightly different shade of green trees is distracting.

I do like the solid green that borders the court.

In my opinion, I like it.  Love the flying ducks, Mighty Oregon, and Fighting Ducks.  I think the solid green border surrounding the court is bold along with the "O" helps make the trees in green more of a faded look like a water color affect.

I also agree it brightens up the arena with this new design.

Photos: Oregon Ducks unveil new Kilkenny Court design at Matthew Knight Arena

while the old court featured fir trees of brownish tints surrounding the borders, the new design swaps the brown for green and brightens up the arena tenfold.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

The Ducks unveiled the new Matthew Knight Arena court design on Sunday.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

It has a much better color scheme. It still is honoring people that have had a big impact on a lot of the schools facilities, and the college itself. 

The State of Oregon has always been known for its wood products. So “Deep in the Woods” is Oregon.

It is innovative and some traditionalists may not approve. But, it wasn’t built to appeal to them. 

I'll be the first to admit that I actually liked the previous floor design, even though watching it on TV was sometimes....distracting.

That being said.

TOTAL UPGRADE!  The apple color scheme will be much more aligned with both past and present Oregon BB teams.  Kept the "Tall Firs", but having them actually green, and somewhat more muted, gives more of the impression of being "Deep In The Woods!". 

Lastly, the actual going back to real wood grain court pays omage to the timber industry that is/was so pivotal in this states economics and history.

Only dissenting item of note....NOT use to a Big, B1G logo, plastered on each end of the court.  (Sad PAC Face).

Hopefully the "refreshed" court is not the only thing being "refreshed" in both our men's and women's basketball programs.

Let the new era of Oregon (B1G) Basketball Begin!

GO QUACKERS!

Edited by MicroBurst61
  • Thumbs Up 1

I was hoping they would put in a basketball court; just a basketball court. (Crap!  I have turned into the old guy who yells at kids for walking on this lawn.)

• Haha 1

Doesn't do a lot for me but it's better than the original. It will be interesting to see how it really looks under game lights vs the shadowy look in the video. 

OK....this is going to take some getting used to, as being in the B1G is an adjustment.  

I was jolted a little to see the B1G logo on the court...

MKAFloorRedesign_WebsiteCrop_05.jpg?w=10

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

I see how it could be distracting, but I think

this is cool!

MKAFloorRedesign_WebsiteCrop_03.jpg?w=10

Join the Flock, Baby!  (It is pretty unique!)

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 6/24/2024 at 9:34 AM, Charles Fischer said:

OK....this is going to take some getting used to, as being in the B1G is an adjustment.  

I was jolted a little to see the B1G logo on the court...

MKAFloorRedesign_WebsiteCrop_05.jpg?w=10

B1G was actually the first thing I looked for! I also went to a local Duck Store yesterday to see if there was any new gear with the B1G logo, can’t get it soon enough 😉 

I really like the court design, very sharp. There is a chance the trees will look too busy for me after a while though.

Edited by JabbaNoBargain

Major upgrade.

My biggest issues with the last one were the choice of color and that the trees were too bold. They corrected both. Not only were the old trees brown, but they were also orange, which made zero sense for obvious reasons.

More muted and now in shades of green - I'll take it.

• Cool 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Not sure the concept of a basketball court as a blank canvas for creative minds was such a good idea in the first place. Tendency seems to be to over think it, and crowd as many symbols and icons onto it as it’ll take. That said, I’d agree celebrating the 1st NCAA Championship is a given. Only one gets that honor.

Definitely an improvement. 

In fact, I like it alot.

You know where you are at one glance.

Like the green.

Like the more muted trees.

Love the O.

Sco Ducks!!

• Thumbs Up 2

will be interesting to see how it looks when they are playing the game.

i'm looking forward to that!

It's a MUST read on the insight behind the design of the new court.

Photos of Matthew Knight Arena's new court and a Q&A with its designers

Get special insight from Todd an Quinn Van Horne of Van Horne Brands on the new Matthew Knight Arena floor.

"We also wanted to showcase the wood of the court as opposed to hiding it and having these colors be completely opaque. We wanted the woodgrain to show, show through the beauty of the court. So when we started, we hired a photographer to go out and actually photograph the individual trees. A lot of individual trees within the forest of the Northwest. So there's no clipart, there's no like, you know, Vector Art anywhere else.

These trees don't exist. There's no tree repeated on the court. It's Truly like a natural forest. Then we've got a nod to the flying Ducks, now you know, sort of the V formation of the ducks went into the sky. Quinn has more stories based on that. And then we wanted to surround the core to bring in a big dominant green color, and this whole idea that the grass is damn green in Eugene like Dan Lanning said. Then the whole notion of, you know, let's make this light and bright, and that's what makes Oregon different from any other program. It sort of reflects our environment."

247SPORTS.COM

Get special insight from Todd an Quinn Van Horne of Van Horne Brands on the new Matthew Knight Arena floor.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/25/2024 at 6:24 AM, NJDuck said:

Then we've got a nod to the flying Ducks, now you know, sort of the V formation of the ducks went into the sky.

And the missing man formation for Matt Knight is a really nice touch.

• Applause 1