Charles Fischer

Ruh-Roh! USC Fans Unhappy With Oregon Recruiting....AGAIN

My fellow Duck-Buddies...this is some delicious stuff below. Their hatred of Oregon is quite entertaining, but you also learn some things, and the desperation beginning to set in is as rare to see in USC fans, as it is to see Oregon killing-it in recruiting like this.

What they fail to realize is that yes, NIL was not here before.  But neither was Dan Lanning and this smart young, hungry, staff.  (And yeah...I am a sicko, as so many years of beat-downs by SoCal makes me enjoy this WAY too much...)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Dorian Brew commits to Oregon, and I don't even know what to say at this point."

"Just expected (of Oregon) at this point. Sheer incompetence in every level of our recruiting operation."

"Yeah this isn’t even troll level anymore. Genuinely curious what’s going. Still early in recruiting season but tough to make up this much ground on others. This isn’t chess over checkers. This is just us getting outworked, out recruited, and out paid."

"That's a rough one. Oregon wasn't a school talked about with him at all."

"Unlimited money and 0 regulations."

"Money talks bs walks. How many times has Oregon been running 2nd, 3rd or not talked about then comes in and scoops someone up?"

"This is all a joke. It's not really about winning or development because Oregon doesn't win national titles and isn't producing all Americans at his position. It's money."

"And of course he commits to Oregon when nobody was talking about them in regards to Brew. It's not even embarrassing anymore. Our recruiting sucks, plain and simple. I honestly have no idea how anyone can have any faith in our recruiting anymore."

200.gif

"They are legit clowning us nonstop in recruiting. It's tough to watch."

"Yeah doesn't look like much has changed."

"WE ARE NOT A SERIOUS NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP UNIVERISTY ANYMORE 😆

"Shocker... It's the same story every time."

"We are a JOKE. I’ll say it again, I hope the new coach can fix this. CLR is toast."

"USC fails to recruit California players, strikes out on national players, scrambles to fill the class with low ranked players. Rinse, repeat."

"Maybe many kids and their parents really don’t want to be in downtown LA? Day after day after day the news about things happening around campus sure doesn’t help the cause."

"It still pisses me off the Big 10 let Oregon into the conference the same as USC in 2024."

200.gif

Mr. FishDuck just can't help it...

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Cool 1
  • Haha 5
  • Mic drop 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 4
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

SUCs to be them.

• Thumbs Up 3

"You know what? Good for them. They are passionate, they care, they are competent and have the money. All the things we lack to a certain degree. And nobody cares that they have 0 championships, they are at least trying to win one whereas our effort is flat out embarrassing. Stop clowning them for trying to win and clown our team and our people for not being good enough."

"If we are not playing the same game as Oregon, TAMU, Ohio State or every other big hitter, we are gonna be completely irrelevant in a short period of time."

"All that money and no championships. It will eventually drive Lanning crazy. He has players that don’t value the game over a dollar. Couple that with how poor of an in game coach he is and he will never succeed there."

"A team bought by money. We’ll have to see who’s best."

"Well, he ended up at Oregon, not Ohio State. Crystal balls are kinda useless at this point. Usc was in this race. I believe Gerard even said usc is the dark horse. But we are losing all over the place, not just here."

"Oregon waits and then when it looks like we are going to get that recruit they "DROP THE BAG" to F us."

giphy.gif

"I know someone will put that they haven’t won a natty but the truth is with NIL and new age of recruiting. Elite recruits don’t give 2 ****** about “Blue Blood” status or any of that. The Zeroes are a lot closer to a natty than we will be and the gap continues to get bigger because they are kings of NIL."

"Most fans are just in denial and rather pin the blame on Oregon's bag instead of focusing on the poor job USC (coaches, funding, NIL, infrastructure) is doing. Looking at yourself and admitting the truth is always more difficult."

"People have been saying that (there will be a lot of unhappy players) for years but Oregon has done a surprisingly good job of retaining most of their talent. If they end up losing 1-2 players who weren't seeing the field it ends up being a benefit because they clear unproductive scholarships for a chance to bring in young guys who might contribute."

"For D players who are heavily influenced by NIL Oregon's going to always be in a position to close, whether they’re initially in it or not: they have unlimited resources to close any deal plus they’re head coach is a defensive coach who can claim “Georgia coaching” as his influence and what he’s trying to do at Oregon. It sucks but it remains true. It’ll come down to out performing them on the field in order to flip the narrative about SC’s d and Oregon's trajectory towards being close to a title."

"Stop making it seem like Oregon has the number 1 class in America and cleaning up every 5 star. They lose plenty of recruiting battles to other big time programs."

"This is why I don’t even look at war rooms anymore. It’s pointless. We are quickly becoming a second tier program."

giphy.gif

• Haha 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 6/29/2024 at 6:39 PM, Charles Fischer said:

"It still pisses me off the Big 10 let Oregon into the conference the same as USC in 2024."

200.gif

Mr. FishDuck just can't help it...

"just like USC?", eh?

Seems to me, the Ducks are getting paid half the money, not to SUC!

Great stuff Charles! What SUC will never understand is that Lanning looks like he wants to strap on a helmet and go out there and smack people around himself while Riley looks like he’d rather be sitting by the pool at his mansion.

Lanning’s passion for the game resonates with kids while Riley gives off the classic all hat no cattle vibe.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 2

I really do think the reason he took the USC gig was to avoid the SEC and Oklahoma “quickly becoming a second tier program”….hmmm where have I seen this quote before 🤔 

Edited by JabbaNoBargain
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

At least a few of their fans aren’t brain dead from breathing smog every day. Some are at least smart enough to know that money is not the only reason someone commits to Oregon football. 

Oregon took a risk on a young unproven coach that was hungry to make a name for himself. USC bought a coach, and QB, that dominated the BIG 12.

Hmmmm…the QB moved on, and somehow the future looks much brighter in Eugene. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

Charles and all the other contributors of OBD,

Excuse me, but I was laughing (and crying) almost as hard as the gif with the lady in the green pull-over; those USC fans were really funny, and except for one or two, they were totally clueless. They know something is happening, but they just aren't sure what it is.

The USC fans and the donors ought to start reading something other than the LA Times Sports section or the latest letter from the USC Athletic Dept. Oh, well. It is absolutely enjoyable to watch our Ducks beat their teams, any and all their teams.

Successful recruiting is all year round, and must involve a close and sustained relationship with the athlete and his/her family. Just read the On3 interview with Jordon Davison after he announced his commitment. Jordon laid it out accurately and beautifully. As the old saw states, Ignorance of the Law is no excuse. In this case, Ignorance of the Truth and methodology is no excuse.

Thanks Charles, and VR,

KCDuck1.

Edited by KCDuck1
Grammar correction.
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I read those comments from.the USC keyboard warriors and I can't help but think of the Mark Twain axiom,  ‘ better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt’.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

Death, taxes, and Trojan nation complaining about Oregon being a better program for over two decades now.

"Zero titles!!! No history before the late nineties!!! No high school talent in state!!!! Ugly uniforms!!! No real brand history!!!!"

I'm just wondering if one of our new conference mates designated as blue-blood with feel the same.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 6/29/2024 at 6:39 PM, Charles Fischer said:

"This is all a joke. It's not really about winning or development because Oregon doesn't win national titles and isn't producing all Americans at his position. It's money."

When I read those comments about Oregon/USC and "developing" players, I immediately think about two recent highly rated edge rushers from the state of California.

In 2019, Kayvon Thibodeaux was the #1 player in the state of California and the #2 overall WDE. Came to Oregon and was Pac-12 Freshman defensive player of the year, won the Morris Trophy as a sophomore, and was a unanimous All-American as a junior. He went #5 in the first round, signed a 4 year $32 million dollar contract, and was a PFWA Rookie 1st-team. He followed that up with 11.5 sacks last year.

In 2021, Korey Foreman was the #1 player in the state of California and the #2 overall Edge. Went to USC where he spent his first two years as primarily a backup (11 and 13 tackles) and decided after 3 games into his third year to redshirt and now will be continuing his career at Fresno State.

I guess the comment mentions "at his position" well, Oregon DBs either drafted or otherwise having NFL careers over about the last 15 years:

Jairus Byrd

Patrick Chung

Walter Thurmond III

TJ Ward

John Boyett

Terrance Mitchell

Troy Hill

Ifo Ekpre-Olomu

Ugo Amadi

Thomas Graham

Brady Breeze

Deommodore Lenoir

Jevon Holland

Verone McKinley

Christian Gonzalez

Evan Williams

Included in this group are an 11 year career with three Super Bowl wins (Chung), a 9 year career with 3 Pro Bowls (Byrd), an 8 year career with a Super Bowl (Ward), a 6 year career with a Super Bowl (Thurmond III), an 8 year career (Mitchell), an 8 year career (Hill), and several guys still playing including Amadi (6 years), Holland (40 starts), Lenoir (28 starts), and a rookie last year picked #17 in the 1st round (Gonzalez).

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Cool 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Mic drop 2
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 6

Why is this shocking to them?  Oregon has out-recruited USC over the last 15 years.  This is not new. 🤣

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Another USC fan wrote...

"Our recruiting strategy is 1. find guys we like, 2. find guys who like us, 3. offer our NIL, 4. bend over and get f'd by Oregon. NUFF said..."

giphy-downsized-large.gif

• Cool 1
  • Haha 4

Mr. FishDuck

Call.The.WAaaammbulance!

My Dad was a big fella, 6'3"/260 when he played for OAC (Oregon State), in the early 1940's.

If we whined like that as kids, he'd hold out his rather large right hand, and quietly say, "Cry my hand full!"

I think he'd say the same to some of these toejamz.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

"Paranoia strikes deep. Into your life, it will creep." Buffalo Springfield. 

Honey, pass me the smelling salts! Yuck, Yuck, Yuck. 🤣 

• Like 1

On 6/29/2024 at 11:00 PM, JabbaNoBargain said:

I really do think the reason he took the USC gig was to avoid the SEC and Oklahoma “quickly becoming a second tier program”….hmmm where have I seen this quote before 🤔 

Amen. I was surprised that before the 1st season in the SEC with one of the more difficult schedules in the SEC, which will be repeated next year in conference plus adding Michigan OOC, the Sooners gave Venables a bump in pay and a 6 year extension. 

Venables is 16-10 at Oklahoma, 10-8 in the B12. This season OK plays Tennessee, Auburn, Ole Miss, Missouri, + LSU on the road! Plus Texas in Dallas and Bama in Norman. Looking at these opponents I can understand why Riley wanted out. 

As many of us have asked about Mari(o), did any SC folks watch the OK play D when Riley was the HC? 

In the offseason, SC completely overhauled its coaching on the D side of the ball but these coaches are not recruiting closers. And Oregon has more $ than SC. Lanning can't coach, etc. Excuses won't bring the Blue Chip guys through the door.

I've exceeded my Mr. FishDuck GIF laugh quotient for the day,  I have to take a nap. (Something Riley does when recruiting?)

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

I love this stuff. My first game at Autzen was a blowout loss to USC in 1976.  I got sick of hearing

that little ditty their band plays. I normally don't get pleasure from the troubles of others but this is an exception.

Edited by Duxster
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 2

DUH!

SPORTS.YAHOO.COM

USC is not in position to go all the way this year. Merely making the playoff would be amazing for the program.

An obscure insight into the obvious. 

• Haha 1

This USC call in show is so thick with entitlement and hubris I had to turn it off after just 15 minutes. They're completely clueless and OBD lives rent free in their heads.

On 6/30/2024 at 6:29 PM, kirklandduck said:

This USC call in show is so thick with entitlement and hubris I had to turn it off after just 15 minutes. They're completely clueless and OBD lives rent free in their heads.

Fantastic.  It makes all so much sweeter...

• Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 6/30/2024 at 6:29 PM, kirklandduck said:

Oh my…I couldn’t listen beyond the first phone call from Angel. He stated that the education standards are so much higher at SUC. He finishes with Oregon doesn’t send nearly as many players to the NFL.  Implying that they are better at developing players.

I had to fact check that comment.

Turns out Oregon has 42 active players on rosters, and SUC has 37. Apparently, that higher level of education doesn’t include math. 

• Haha 3
  • Mic drop 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

On 6/30/2024 at 6:18 PM, Jon Joseph said:

DUH!

SPORTS.YAHOO.COM

USC is not in position to go all the way this year. Merely making the playoff would be amazing for the program.

An obscure insight into the obvious. 

Seems to imply only being a few years removed from being a contender. Fact check, 4 team playoff lasted 10 years, let’s see…oh yes, zero appearances 🧐 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

From Traveler's mouth.

SPORTS.YAHOO.COM

The numbers don't lie when Oregon and USC football recruiting are discussed.

Nuck, nuck, nuck 🤣.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Haha 1
  • Like 1

I so LOVE the stat below!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

Meanwhile in Trojan land...

Toddler-Tantrum.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1

“We used to have an unfair advantage and now we don’t. It’s so unfair!” - SUC fans

• Mic drop 1

On 7/1/2024 at 1:42 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I so LOVE the stat below!

Correction: Oregon ENTERS the B1G with the second most talented roster in the conference (behind only Ohio State). 

image.thumb.png.1e9a8137da9f4329b39b7dc324ed96c5.png

Edited by OregonDucks

Jon Joseph, You asked a great question about whether any SC folks had watched the OK Defense when Coach Riley was the OK HC, and made a great point about coaches Vs recruiters.

Well, I can proudly proclaim I am not an SC person. However, I watched OK play Baylor at Baylor. Baylor blew OK out in the first half - the OK Defense couldn't stop a leaf blown by the wind. It was rather incredible. At halftime, the Baylor coaches and team must have all agreed they were going to win and they could now relax; the OK coaches and team determined they would smoke Baylor in 2d half.

The OK defense showed up while the Baylor Offense did not - they believed the game was over, and for them, and it was. The second half was a complete 180 degree turn-around. CeeDee (?), an OK receiver was unstoppable, the OK Offense passed like crazy, and the OK QB who had attended Alabama (and now plays for the Philly Eagles) passed and ran well. The OK Defense was not as incredible as the Baylor Offense was inept - they could not get that teamwork and momentum applied. OK won. 

You stated, "In the offseason, SC completely overhauled its coaching on the D side of the ball but these coaches are not recruiting closers."

Jon, that's it! Those SC coaches will take the human material they have available, and they will probably play better than last year. But, those coaches have been expecting to show recruits all their Heisman trophies and their renovated facilities, and Viol'e, the recruits become future happy campers in the SC defense. The real problem is there is no daily relationship between the coaches, recruits, and their families; the defensive coaches forgot that all the other teams are continuing to recruit their prospective recruits, and these other coaches/recruiters from UGA, UA, and UT know how to recruit and sustain that recruiting daily, and close. It's not just coaching anymore.

Now, coaches have to prove they (and their team) are "world-class", or at the very least, very good and headed up; and that they can teach these recruits how to become an All B1G and/or AA and go to the League. One weekend visit doesn't get that done for a group of 5* defense recruits. Other than QB, a D-recruit who is big, can move, and is other-worldly twitchy is in high demand, and he might try and set his NIL. SC doesn't have a Division Street NIL organization. We have retired professionals, and they have coaches negotiating. All

this is why Duck coaches and Reps establish relationships with the recruit, with their family, with their coaches, and they stay in touch daily.

Thanks, and VR,

KCDuck1

• Like 1

Only one Ducks sighting - No. 48 😒

USC No.1 is rubbing it in, no? 😍

247SPORTS.COM

A collection of quarterbacks, ballcarriers, wide receivers and defensive stars make up the comprehensive ranking.

On 7/4/2024 at 12:28 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Only one Ducks sighting - No. 48 😒

USC No.1 is rubbing it in, no? 😍

That's why they have history books, so sc can be found.

• Haha 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Any history that occurred before the memory of a seventeen year-old recruit is irrelevant.

• Mic drop 1
  • Applause 1
  • Like 1

Oh no.  There is trouble in paradise.  
At least there is 1 USC fan that is not completely delusional. 

• Great post! 1

“I have a nagging suspicion that Lincoln Riley may not be as good as we thought he was when he showed up.”

- minute 1:03 of video above

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha, ya think??

I’ve been saying Lincoln Riley sucks since he was losing to Baylor at OK.

• Haha 2
  • Applause 1

From Trojan Savior to the Hot Seat after 2 years with a Heisman winner at QB.

TROJANSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Lincoln Riley is the subject of some remarkably wild opinions from national college football commentators.

Maybe the Miami job (not the Dolphins) will open up?

No, no, NO!  Like Clay Helton...we must keep Riley there as long as possible!  

Lincoln knows where he's going!

giphy.gif

• Haha 2
  • Mic drop 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 7/10/2024 at 8:13 AM, Jon Joseph said:

From Trojan Savior to the Hot Seat after 2 years with a Heisman winner at QB.

TROJANSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Lincoln Riley is the subject of some remarkably wild opinions from national college football commentators.

Maybe the Miami job (not the Dolphins) will open up?

So either getting fired or hired away by the Dallas Cowboys? Psychotic.

• Thumbs Up 1