Log Haulin

Oregon's Recruiting Success: "...the Quiet Part Out Loud."

BROBIBLE.COM

Nike founder Phil Knight wants the University of Oregon to win a national championship in...

Pretty obvious who funds Oregons NIL. Nonetheless, it puts a ton of pressure on DL. Especially on 4th and 3 from 30.

Looks like Oregon is Texas 2.0. 

I love the fact that with the new CFB, Knight is willing to dump a truck load of Cash on that big yellow O at Autzen.

• Go Ducks! 1

"He is supposedly funding..."

"Rick Neuheisel on ESPN CFB XM said he was at a recent coaches event, and it's no secret Phil Knight is supplying Oregon unlimited NIL resources."

So, we have the New Weasel saying something is no secret (something no one else is saying) and a claim of "supposedly"?.

And, it's from something called "The Brobible"?

Now, I'm sure Knight is dumping a lot of money into Division Street, but I would not give this click bait story an ounce of credibility.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

The insiders at other Oregon sites insist that we are not the top NIL bidder every time, thus why we do not have every 5-Star out there.  But we do have a very organized NIL in Division Street, and even USC fans admit that their NIL program has the money but not the organization or total package that Oregon offers.

The coaches emphasize to these recruits the total benefits of playing at Oregon, and it is not all money.  Evidence are players who have received NIL at Oregon and playing their heart out.  In fact I would describe this team as "hungry" and quite a few have a comfortable NIL, and yet will give their best.

It is not so bad.

Ready for Battle_Screenshot from ESPN Video.jpg

• Thumbs Up 4

Mr. FishDuck

On 7/6/2024 at 7:13 PM, Charles Fischer said:

In fact I would describe this team as "hungry" and quite a few have a comfortable NIL, and yet will give their best.

Precisely. The game changed overnight. It's great that Oregon has the "flex" to produce in this new environment. 

Oregon, as a sports business, stepped into the opportunities created very quickly.

I applaud that even if my thinking of what college football now is has a degree of lag with such rapid change in the reality we see now. 

Well done Mr. Knight, even if it's  click bait.

On 7/6/2024 at 7:13 PM, Charles Fischer said:

The coaches emphasize to these recruits the total benefits of playing at Oregon, and it is not all money.  Evidence are players who have received NIL at Oregon and playing their heart out.  In fact I would describe this team as "hungry" and quite a few have a comfortable NIL, and yet will give their best.

Having the highest NIL (payroll) does not guarantee success (see Texas A&M). You also want the right players, who fit the system, want to be in your program, will work hard, and be good teammates and representatives of your university.  

Edited by OregonDucks
  • Thumbs Up 1

Rick Neuheisel seems like a questionable source. Pretty sure he and Phil Knight are not pals. 

Phil Knight, Pat Kilkenny, the Pape family, Jim Morse, and Ed Maletis were the names originally associated with launching Division Street. It’s goal is to help raise NIL funds, but also acts as a braintrust to help monetize an athletes NIL. 

I believe that when an athlete has discussions with Division Street it is more than Phil Knight handing out money. Division Street has the expertise to help athletes brand and market themselves in a large variety of ways. 

The long term connections an athlete can make through Division Street can also prove to be very valuable beyond sports. 

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

It seems to me that Division Street is at the top of the NIL game.  It’s really not surprising, under the circumstances I would be surprised if Division Street wasn’t one of the top NIL entities.  

First and foremost you have Phil Knight.  Along with a number of folks that are former successful higher ups from Nike.  If there is one thing everyone can agree about when discussing the Nike organization it’s that Nike is and has always been an absolute master at utilizing marketing to maximize brand awareness and profits.  What student athlete wouldn’t be drawn to that kind of leadership and guidance?

I’m still trying to get used to the new changes in CFB.  I’m very glad that Oregon has been on top of things and is prospering in the new landscape of college football.  Oregon has been a strong football program for awhile now, but that is changing.  I firmly believe that this program is transitioning into a premier and true powerhouse program in CFB.  

I couldn’t be happier with the state of my two favorite teams in college football.  My Dawgs who were forever just another fairly strong program has transitioned into a ridiculous powerhouse in CFB since the arrival of Kirby Smart, and might be the strongest program in the country at the moment.  Not to be outdone, Oregon, since the arrival of Dan Lanning, seems primed to follow suit in taking that next step to become a true national powerhouse!  

Had someone told me this would be the case ten years ago, I would have thought they were of their rocker.  Yet here we are!

There are some very intelligent people way out there in Eugene, and they are making all the right moves.  I can hardly wait to see what happens next!  We’ve got some great seasons ahead of us.  Both the Dawgs and the Ducks!

Edited by SoGaDawg
  • Thanks 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Great post! 3
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 5
  • Like 3

Spoiler alert, Brobible's next scoop will be to expose Santa, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy.

• Haha 3
  • Mic drop 2
  • Great post! 1

Keep in mind also that the NIL is handled so well that Oregon doesn't lose players we want to keep for the most part. 

Oregon has one of the best retention rates of top talent in the country as well as a solid NIL program for recruiting. 

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Like 1

What I like is Oregon's recruiting is pulling in guys for their reasons, not just our reasons. Dakorien said he always wanted to take his own path, be different.

We didn't try and convince somebody from Texas who wanted to play football in Texas to come to Oregon. Lanning and his team pull in athletes, but first find out their why.

Division St. helps, but we are much more than NIL, and D street is leading the way in how to help athletes use the NIL process. A process has been opened up, and not surprisingly Oregon is leading the way in how to leverage that, innovate with it.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I have just one question about NIL funds. How are they able to keep the secrets? The offers and the money pass through many hands, and no one slips?

Competing programs must have reconnaissance operations. Families are receiving competing offers, often without contracted professional agents, with teenage boys at the center of the swirl. Those boys never brag to their girlfriends or their buds? Competing programs never ask for proof of that better offer? Moms never share details in their prayer circles? Tax returns never land in inquiring laps? Regrets never recriminate?

Hundreds of offers are circulating each year. Soon it will be thousands of deals done since the beginning of the NIL Age. And all we have are rumors? This is not the version of humanity I understand.

• Thanks 1
  • Great post! 2
  • Like 1

It has already been stated on other sites that Oregon coaches will call other opposing coaches to confirm the NL offer, as sometimes what the recruit is saying is simply bluster.

I have to assume to assume that written within the NIL contract is a non-disclosure clause?  Penalties for blabbing?

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Like 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 7/7/2024 at 7:53 AM, dksez said:

I have just one question about NIL funds. How are they able to keep the secrets? The offers and the money pass through many hands, and no one slips?

Competing programs must have reconnaissance operations. Families are receiving competing offers, often without contracted professional agents, with teenage boys at the center of the swirl. Those boys never brag to their girlfriends or their buds? Competing programs never ask for proof of that better offer? Moms never share details in their prayer circles? Tax returns never land in inquiring laps? Regrets never recriminate?

Hundreds of offers are circulating each year. Soon it will be thousands of deals done since the beginning of the NIL Age. And all we have are rumors? This is not the version of humanity I understand.

It's no secret, they just call it valuation and use collectives like Division Street. Just word games is all, imo.

You don't even have to be among the best players in the highest rated sport going to storied school to cash in. Livvy Dunne and Bronny James were/are top 5 NIL earners.

There are a lot of reasons athletes choose a school. But money, opportunity and connections will always top the list. As will "can you get me to the league?". "Money talks" will never not be a thing.

These come from the collective. And it's not always talent alone that gets you paid. Sanders and James have name recognition and Dunne has beauty. These 3 are top 5 earners at one point.

The game has changed and Oregon has the greatest sports marketing organization in history backing them. That makes a huge difference.

Another note is the NFL, NBA, MLB and most other professional leagues have salary caps. The reason, all these owners know they have no discipline when it come to competing. Left to themselves they would pay way too much for the chance to win it all, beat the other wealthy owners.

It may come to a point where the NCAA, or the alumni, NIL groups agree to NIL caps.

Until then we will see the AT&M's spending like drunken sailors and ending up in the ditch, along with their student athletes. 

That may also put programs into different conferences based on spending. The BIG, SEC, ACC, Big12 have a cap at X, other conferences tier down.

Who knows how it will all play out, but I like how Oregon is doing it for now, and that is all that matters!

Yet again, know your source. Grayson Weir is a cohort of the University of Mississippi, SEC, ESPN relationship. What more do you need to know?

• Thumbs Up 1

5*+ DJ Pickett on Oregon per On3

Oregon: “Oregon has a lot of resources, and it’s somewhere I feel like I can be successful at. That’s a long ways from home, but I’d have less distractions. And it’s an opportunity to get to play early, and everybody in the building, they’re just really cool people. They’ve got the connection with Nike, and after school is over I could get more into the Nike business. They have all the resources, in my opinion. They’re about their business, and they take the defensive side serious. They’re prepared, and they do everything well.”

It's not a leap to conclude that Nike and Knight are behind Oregons recruiting success. 

When Lanning was hired he made it clear that the Knight and Nike connection was a major factor. DL is a great recruiter and hot up and comer. Knight played a huge role in locking Lanning in.

DL snub of Bama and aTm is a direct effect of the Knight factor imo. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Recruits have to be convinced of the TOTAL PACKAGE any school offers. Oregon, Phil, and NIKE have already been there supporting Duck Athletics for a long time, but the final aspect that is putting us over-the-top is Dan Lanning.  He is someone everyone is comfortable with, yet it is clear he is the boss.

His hirings have been outstanding, and been a big part of this surge in recruiting.  Ra'Shad Samples was responsible or highly involved in BOTH our 5-Star commits, and how long has he been here?  Killer-hire by Lanning...

It is not just the money, and it feels like Lanning has put together what Oregon fans would call a "Sweet Spot" for recruiting, while our opponents would call it "the Perfect Storm."

Autzen Entrance_Photo by Eric Evans of Oregon Football X.jpg

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

There is no way to regulate NIL on anybody. Michael Jordan may run into a salary cap in the NBA but not from Nike, Hanes or any of his endorsement deals.

If Big Joe’s Used Trucks in Texas wants to go pay some kid in high school $5,000,000 a year to stand in his lot in Austin and just give the hook ‘em horns sign, there is no stopping that. Is it a wise investment? Probably not but that doesn’t matter.

NIL is just the free market doing what it does. We as fans may have gotten spoiled by the school loyalty of the past but this new system is far more fair to the kids whose blood sweat and tears drive the college sports machine.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 7/7/2024 at 11:33 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Recruits have to be convinced of the TOTAL PACKAGE any school offers. Oregon, Phil, and NIKE have already been there supporting Duck Athletics for a long time, but the final aspect that is putting us over-the-top is Dan Lanning.  He is someone everyone is comfortable with, yet it is clear he is the boss.

His hirings have been outstanding, and been a big part of this surge in recruiting.  Ra'Shad Samples was responsible or highly involved in BOTH our 5-Star commits, and how long has he been here?  Killer-hire by Lanning...

It is not just the money, and it feels like Lanning has put together what Oregon fans would call a "Sweet Spot" for recruiting, while our opponents would call it "the Perfect Storm."

Autzen Entrance_Photo by Eric Evans of Oregon Football X.jpg

+1 on this.  In one of those Texas football podcasts on YouTube, one of the commentators mentioned that he had actually spoken to Dakorien Moore's mother and she said that Oregon's NIL offer was *not* the highest bid.  That's direct evidence to back up that Oregon tends to provide the most *complete* package, not the necessarily the highest cash amount.  It also shows that Moore and his family are smart and recognize that.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1

Just to play the Devils Advocate, What happens if the Phil Knight money dries up? Nike has not been doing particularly well lately and Friday before last, the Nike stock dropped 20% in one day. My back of the napkin calculation suggests that Phil Knight may have been down +/- $8 billion on that Friday.

On 7/7/2024 at 2:37 PM, Santa Rosa Duck said:

Just to play the Devils Advocate, What happens if the Phil Knight money dries up? Nike has not been doing particularly well lately and Friday before last, the Nike stock dropped 20% in one day. My back of the napkin calculation suggests that Phil Knight may have been down +/- $8 billion on that Friday.

Inside sources have hinted that Oregon Athletics is part of the Knight Estate Plan to provide for a long time to come...

• Go Ducks! 1

Mr. FishDuck

Grayson Weir, Sir,

Please exercise just a bit of caution any time you cite ex-coach Rick Neuheisel as a source for an article on an Oregon Ducks supporting site. Coach Neuheisel was a Head coach at Colorado, U of Washington, and UCLA. I can't speak for the majority of Duck fans, but many Duck fans (and others) have experienced Rick's brand of humor, decision-making, truth-telling, and sportsmanship, and learned from it. We learned to question the fidelity of everything Coach Rick said and did, on the field and off that field. 

Coach Rick is smart, and he has a pleasing smile and manner, a mouthful of teeth, and if you are a Duck fan, you can't trust him as far as you can throw him. When he tells you something to be used or referred to for publication, there is a better than 50% chance what he told you may be 180 degrees different than so stated or to which he alluded. Coach Rick is a good guy to keep at arms length. If he has his arm around your shoulder, look out! Spin away! In life, we all meet people like Coach Rick; suggest you keep him and what he says at arms length. 

Suggest anyone associated with "Ole Miss" take that same attitude. You will be a happier camper and sports fan in life.

Thanks and VR,

KCDuck1

PS. You cited Josiah Sharma's rating as the #7 DL. He has that potential, but right now, he is a lot closer to #40; Josiah may get to the top 18 DLs by the end of this football season, but he will want a lot of personal coaching instruction to get there. If he gets that, the sky is the limit forJosiah. He is a talented and capable young player.

Edited by KCDuck1
Grammar correction.

Speaking for myself, I was disillusioned with the John Canzano / Dennis Dodd reporting during the P12 media rights / survivability discussion.

Needless to say, I will no longer automatically accept or dismiss any reporting or sources.

Regarding Oregon / NIL / Money / Phil Knight / Nike / Recruiting / Dan Lanning, I think of it in the following equation:

Money (PK, Nike) + Resources + B1G + Dan Lanning = Oregon is a POWERHOUSE program

Money (PK, Nike) + Resources + B1G + Dan Lanning = Oregon is a STRONG NATIONAL program

Money (PK, Nike) + Resources + B1G + Dan Lanning = Oregon is a NATIONAL program with brand recognition

**IF** you take Money (PK, Nike) out of any equation above = Oregon is a WITHERING program . . . ANY program is a WITHERING program without money.

Please do not misunderstand my statement above. It's not about "PK / Nike", but a comment about MONEY. No program can be a consistent, viable, elite-tier program without MONEY.

**BUT** you also can't be a POWERHOUSE program without the right allocation/mix of Money, Resources, Conference Affiliation, and Coach/Staff.

ALL of the factors working together synergistically produce a product/program that's greater than the sum of its parts.

Here are the things about the Oregon Ducks Football program that make me ECSTATIC:

- MONEY, and lots of it . . . Thank you Phil Knight and Nike for EVERYTHING!!

- Exceptional resources allocated efficiently and effectively

- Being part of the B1G

- Being a forward-thinking, innovative program that takes big swings

- Dan Lanning !!!!!! He recognized that the Ducks had everything needed to be successful. He's passionate, relentless, loyal, fiercely competitive, and only wants the best for the Oregon Ducks

To the simpleton UW fans that say, "You only win because of Uncle Phil and Nike." . . . I say "Yeah, we got it all. What's your point?"

• Mic drop 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1