Duckley Palace

Even Beavis Fans Don't Want Civil War

BENNYSHOUSE.COM

It is on for the next 2 years, after that I am starting to wonder if we should continue the series. With oregon...

I won't force or recommend anybody look at the link above. But I put it up just for reference of how much this "rivalry" is manufactured by state legislators.

"Body Bag Game" or "Let the Ducks fly to the moon, Oregon State shouldn't do anything to lessen the strain on their wallet" and lastly "The game doesn't mean anything because both teams are in separate conferences now".  These are the most notable opinions from Benny Beavis.

Oregon State fans fail to realize most Ducks fans don't feel like playing Oregon State helps out athletic budget. But hey, why stick to facts when you can live on a cloud of lies?

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

"Oregon State fans fail to realize most Ducks fans don't feel like playing Oregon State helps out athletic budget."

I don't care about the athletic budget. I care about continuing a rivalry that goes back to 1894.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 7/27/2024 at 5:35 AM, SaintPuddles said:

"Oregon State fans fail to realize most Ducks fans don't feel like playing Oregon State helps out athletic budget."

I don't care about the athletic budget. I care about continuing a rivalry that goes back to 1894.

While I disagree with the sentiment, I fully understand those who cling to the past. Do I wish the Ducks could've stayed in the PAC, and received the same benefits we're getting in our new conference? Yeah. But to say this is a rivalry that must be protected beyond conference affiliation. Nah.

Alabama vs Auburn, Florida vs Florida State,  Oklahoma vs Oklahoma State, Michigan vs Michigan State, Georgia vs Georgia Tech, Iowa vs Iowa State, Clemson vs South Carolina, Louisville vs Kentucky, Washington vs Washington State, BYU vs Utah, Arizona vs Arizona State.

Those are in state rivalries in the P4. Oklahoma isn't playing Oklahoma State, Iowa fans don't want to play Iowa State. The main reason is SOS in their ever growing conferences.

If Oregon beats Oregon State, it means nothing. But if Oregon State beats Oregon, that makes Oregon look second rate.

Just imagine Oregon getting off a tough in conference game against Ohio State or Michigan, while Beavis has just played Hawaii or Nevada. You know Oregon State is going to be up for beating Oregon, it's a no lose for them. For Oregon , it could knock them out of playoff contention.

Meanwhile if Florida loses to Florida State, they won't get penalized the same way. That's why I hope Oregon State can get a Big 12 or ACC invite if the "Civil War" has to continue. At least the perception of them being a tougher opponent would help Oregon.

But that's just how I see it. Anybody who has deep affection for this series because of sentimental reasons, or they just hate how there is no such thing as regions anymore. I see where they are coming from. I just don't care. I want Oregon to do well, win championships. A higher seed would help with that.

• Thumbs Up 2

Corvallis, the capital of negativity. 

TROJANSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

It might surprise people outside Corvallis, but Oregon State fans remain unhappy with Jonathan Smith.

Is anyone on the Forum surprised by this? 

Beavis taking 30 million from Oregon should

not be rewarded for his behavior.

giphy.gif

Mr. FishDuck

A rivalry of two in-conference teams makes sense.  It makes less sense when it is out of conference and takes an annual slot as one of 3 non-conference games.

Alabama vs Auburn, Florida vs Florida State, Oklahoma vs Oklahoma State, Clemson vs South Carolina, Louisville vs Kentucky....each of those games for the SEC team is one of four non-conference.

Both Iowa and Iowa State fans have grumbled about using one of their 3 non-conference slots for the same annual opponent.  They have voiced a desire to see more inter-regional opponents.

If UO/UW continues with an FCS, Group of 5, and Power opponents do they want every year's non-conference Power opponent to be OS/WSU?   If OS/WSU slip into Group of 5 status in the next few years, do they want to face UO/UW every year?

Colorado is 68-22-2 vs Colorado State.  Is that what fans want to see developed from future UO and OSU?

Personally, I just think playing annually is a poor idea.  Two years on, four years off, two years on, four years off....  seems like a better compromise?

• Thumbs Up 1

My favorite take is them thinking they’re doing us a favor by agreeing to play us, that we desperately need them for budgetary reasons. Some of them think they could even get 2 or 3 home games for 1 at Autzen because OBD so desperately wants to play them.

I lost all empathy when they blamed OBD for their situation and successfully doing exactly what they continue to try to do. Because no one wanted or wants them, we are back stabbers and they are virtuous. To this day, they would instantly join the ACC or B12 if they received an invite. 

To this hypocrisy I say, sit and spin Beavis.

Edited by JabbaNoBargain
  • Thumbs Up 1

Since the game has been shorn of any co-economic or conference relevance, probably best to let it die after the two year extension, and then play wait and see if anyone misses it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I for one would love to see the game continue, but not every year. 

Maybe every 3rd or 4th year.

My reasons, history for one. It's been around for over 100 years.

2. In-state fun for our state. Many of us work side by side with OSU fans and it's fun water cooler banter, especially for the casual fan.

3.It helps the local economy. 

(And it would make for lower travel costs, for at least 1 game)

4. Most importantly, my biggest reason, is I want to put a regular beat-down on them regularly. Like they were Portland St. After about 10 or so of those, then we can put it away.

But I want to shut down their silly arrogance once and for all!

• Applause 1

The amount of cheese consumed in Corvallis must be incredibly large to go with all the wine-ing going on there.

I saw a large beaver behind my house yesterday, it immediately dove under a large tree lying in the river hiding in fear. This is the kind of behavior I expect from Beavus from now going forward. 

Great to be a Duck.

• Applause 1

The Beavers are going to be at a severe competitive disadvantage, going forward. OSU is going to have a mid-major roster and will not be able to afford to retain a top coaching staff. 

That said, they will be dangerous, especially in Corvallis.  

• Haha 1

Never take anyone lightly, but unless one of their QBs really breaks through, their offense is really going to struggle.

The team slipping under people’s danger alert is BSU in week 2. They’ll be fired up, have an NFL caliber HB and very good QB, not something OSU can say.

Edited by JabbaNoBargain

I want to keep the game around personally because there is tradition with it and in an era that is chucking so much tradition out the window keeping something traditional around feelings meaningful. 

Will it last as a yearly event in the long run? Probably not but we can keep it for now. 

Oddly enough the only way to keep the rivalry game alive in the long run needs Oregon State in a P4 conference. Probably the ACC or Big 12 because they aren't B1G enough of a brand. 

This would at least give the feeling this game is fair or at least mutually beneficial.

If OSU is a Mountain West team then I only see this game hanging around brcause it gives the Ducks effectively a non travel game even when away and it would be a decent payday for the Beavers when they come to Autzen which they would desperately need after the Pac-12 funds all dry up. But the game won't be anywhere near competitive. 

And rivalries do need a back and forth on the field. 

Last year it kinda felt like Colorado and Colorado fans were insisting on a rivalry with Oregon but the reality is there hasn't been that much back and forth in results for us as Duck fans to feel a rivalry vibe. It was a conference game which gave it meaning but not a rivalry game. 

For the Civil War to keep its rivalry feel it would need to feel competitive at some point again. If nothing changed and the Pac-12 survived I don't think Lanning was going to let the Beavers have another win for a very long time regardless.

But if the Beavers are G5 any notion of competition will die quickly and so will the rivalry. 

The last conference game of the season had relevance because of conference standings. It was fun watching the Ducks knock the rodents out of the running for the Rose Bowl the few years they had a chance. 

For me, when the PAC imploded, so did the relevance of having them on our schedule. 

• Applause 1

With 9 B1G games in the immediate future, I think Oregon should cool their jets a bit on scheduling until there is some Playoff Selection Committee experience to judge the importance of a non-conference schedule.

Will the Committee give a preference to a schedule with Power 4 non-conference opponents?

If so, then "Beaver Week" in the 3 non-conference games needs to be examined as to whether teams from Big12, ACC or SEC should be slotted instead.  And, those potential ACC and Big12 teams could be from 6 former Pac12 opponents with West Coast ties.

The Ducks already have Baylor, Oklahoma St and Tex Tech on future schedules.  I would rather see those be retained than OSU come in annually.

OSU would undoubtedly want a home-and-home arrangement which also creates problems in years there are four B1G home games.

Tennessee cycles thru 5 lower level in-state opponents annually.  But, they have four non-conference games and those games are always in Knoxville.   Tenn fills their four with one FCS, and two Group of 5, with one Power 4.   The point is most programs just play one Power 4 opponent whether 3 or 4 nonconference.

Unless OSU falls off the shelf to be regarded as Group of 5 - willing to play annually in Eugene - I don't see using a Power 4 annual slot to play them home-and-home.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/28/2024 at 11:12 AM, HDuck said:

With 9 B1G games in the immediate future, I think Oregon should cool their jets a bit on scheduling until there is some Playoff Selection Committee experience to judge the importance of a non-conference schedule.

Will the Committee give a preference to a schedule with Power 4 non-conference opponents?

If so, then "Beaver Week" in the 3 non-conference games needs to be examined as to whether teams from Big12, ACC or SEC should be slotted instead.  And, those potential ACC and Big12 teams could be from 6 former Pac12 opponents with West Coast ties.

The Ducks already have Baylor, Oklahoma St and Tex Tech on future schedules.  I would rather see those be retained than OSU come in annually.

OSU would undoubtedly want a home-and-home arrangement which also creates problems in years there are four B1G home games.

Tennessee cycles thru 5 lower level in-state opponents annually.  But, they have four non-conference games and those games are always in Knoxville.   Tenn fills their four with one FCS, and two Group of 5, with one Power 4.   The point is most programs just play one Power 4 opponent whether 3 or 4 nonconference.

Unless OSU falls off the shelf to be regarded as Group of 5 - willing to play annually in Eugene - I don't see using a Power 4 annual slot to play them home-and-home.

The problem is Oregon State will never view themselves like a Memphis, USF, Toledo, or San Diego State. At least when it comes to playing Oregon. Try telling Tennessee, Florida, Ohio State, or USC to play a home and home with a G5 in state school. 

Washington State feels the same I would guess. But to me there shouldn't be a home and home just because it's an instate program. I know that hurts the economy in Corvallis, and takes away a game that many feel is a historical rivalry. But I think Oregon would do better with a guaranteed extra home game vs a Mountain West opponent. 

What benefit does Oregon get from playing Oregon State on the road? I mean if they win huge people will just yawn. But if they lose? That could take away a home playoff game, or bye depending on how big the playoff gets.

Prior to 2000 I would say Oregon State and Oregon were at the same level. But it hasn't been close the last decade. Oregon is at the USC, Ohio State, Michigan level. The proof is in what conference we are in.

Oregon State? Nobody wants them. They aren't loyal to the PAC. They just don't have anywhere else to go.

• Thumbs Up 2

Playing Oregon State twice a decade is sufficient in my mind. Certainly no more than every four years. Screw em'. I have absolutely zero sympathy for them.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bevus fans are somewhere in the 5 stages of grief. 

The five stages, denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance 

Well, they did bring potato salad stadium up to the standards of the best high school stadiums recently...

• Thumbs Up 1

I think the best way to look at this going forward is thru an SEC style lens. When/if we fall back to only 8 in-conference games, then we can schedule beavis for the 4th out of conference game. Say around game 9-10 as the cupcake game to rest & heal up for the home stretch. Otherwise beavis can go chew trees for all I care!

Looking for more pathetic Beavis angst? Comedy gold! Still in denial stage of grief it seems.

Hope For Beavis!

Edited by JabbaNoBargain
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 8/2/2024 at 11:26 AM, JabbaNoBargain said:

Looking for more pathetic Beavis angst? Comedy gold! Still in denial stage of grief it seems.

Hope For Beavis!

So Beavis, where are your sources on this?

Beavis looks around the room......"One of the voices in my head" 🥸

I like the fact they have now reverted to attacking schools that voted no in a fictitious news story, backed up with no sources.

Cliff notes version: Big 12 held a straw vote asking it's members if the PAC members should be added. Cincy, UCF, Kansas, West Virginia, and Louisville voted no. (Note the poster put OCF not UCF)

Beavis posters have taken this to mean those schools are concerned with the travel. They are irrelevant, and have never been valuable members. (Despite Cincy and UCF being in a power league that dissolved, yet didn't try to steal from it and picked themselves up to make themselves relevant enough to Garner an invite). If those schools are irrelevant, why would you want to join a conference with them Beavis?

Oh, and a last and very classy post said "I hope the traitorous 10 smell like ______ FOREVER!!!"

Edited by Duckley Palace

On 8/2/2024 at 11:26 AM, JabbaNoBargain said:

Hope For Beavis!

I could see them buying their way into the Big 12. They have a warchest that can do so with all that Pac-12 money. 

I would be surprised if the Big 12 just outright add them. But if they were to pay the Big 12 a bit of money and then forego media money for a year or two I could see them being let in. 

They do have some value... Even in the conference of leftovers.

But it probably won't come for free. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Oregon State makes a more attractive opponent than Idaho or PSU.

• Applause 1