HDuck

Four Mt. West Teams Set to Join Pac2?

According to Yahoo Sports' Ross Dellenger, the Pac-12 "is mobilizing its long-discussed plan to rebuild the league with additions from the Mountain West." In particular, per Dellenger, the Pac-12 is targeting the Boise State Broncos, San Diego State Aztecs, Colorado State Rams, and Fresno State Bulldogs as additions to their conference. The Pac-12 board is expected to approve the deal with these four schools by the end of the week.

Dellenger says that Boise State, San Diego State, Colorado State, and Fresno State "are expected to soon apply or have already applied for membership into the conference." With that, the soonest all four programs could join the Pac-12 would be in 2026.

My add...the conference needs to get to 8 members.  Rumors are running pretty hot on Wednesday night that it will likely be UNLV and Air Force from the Mt. West.  And/or Texas San Antonio and another Texas based school such as North Texas or Rice.

Those combos would give "the Pac" potential TV markets:  Spokane (Seattle?), Portland, San Diego, Boise, Fresno, Denver...and possibly adding Vegas, Colorado Springs, San Antonio and Dallas.

Believe it when I see it. The MWC already has those markets, what’s the point of dancing around instead of just adding a couple teams from Texas to the MWC?

Ross also seems to indicate he thinks they will get back their “automatic bid” for the football playoff. That’s not a thing. Lol

Edited by JabbaNoBargain
  • Applause 1

John Canzano also sent out a bulletin stating that there will be announced tomorrow morning. He was chortling about how the announcement is just ahead of the Civil War and the Apple Cup, as if to upstage the games with their own publicity stunt.

So they’ll have four teams from the Mountain West, and two teams that nobody else wanted among the Power-Four?

I just can’t wait to watch Fresno State play Colorado State…

giphy.gif

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

CSU leads that series 10-6.  Kinda surprised at that ratio.   6-2 in last 8.   Obviously I'm not an expert on Colo State or Fresno, but still I would have guessed Fresno might have the edge similar to their 8-6 vs Oregon St.

OSU vs
WSU (48-57-3)
Boise State (6-4)
San Diego State (5-2)
Fresno St (6-8)
Colorado St (1-2)
and, if add:
UNLV (2-3)
Air Force (0-0)

On 9/11/2024 at 11:02 PM, Charles Fischer said:

John Canzano also sent out a bulletin stating that there will be announced tomorrow morning. He was chortling about how the announcement is just ahead of the Civil War and the Apple Cup, as if to upstage the games with their own publicity stunt.

So they’ll have four teams from the Mountain West, and two teams that nobody else wanted among the Power-Four?

giphy.gif

No no no…it’s very different than joining the WAC, err MWC. I still don’t understand the benefit to teams leaving the WAC, err MWC.

• Thumbs Up 1

Memphis and UTSA could be expansion targets.

WWW.MSN.COM

Well, they are all "State" teams so they should definitely Nevada, New Mexico, Utah, Montana...maybe Portland...

The four MW schools must pay their conference $18M to exit. I wonder where they're getting that money from...🤔

Oh Brother 🙄 Shouldn't this still make them a G-5 conference?

Canzano: Pac-12 expanding to six members

announcement expected on San Diego State, Colorado State, Fresno State, Boise State

WWW.JOHNCANZANO.COM

6 a.m. announcement expected on San Diego State, Colorado State, Fresno State, Boise State

Critical Duck, this 'expansion,' if approved by the Pac-12 "Board of Directors 😁" will cost $72M in exit fees plus $40M in addition to the MW exit fees that the Pac-2 when it bought MW game inventory, agreed to pay for poaching MW teams. $10M per team poached. What ROI is expected on this expenditure of $112M? 

Why not simply do a reverse merger with the MW. Are they saving spots for the Pac-10 to come back? 

You can put lipstick on a pig ...  As noted above, this will not bring 'The Pac-6' close to being a Power conference or increase the money networks are paying for game inventory. 

No Comprende. The Pac-2 are Terrific Thieves but get an "F" in Economics 101.

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/11/2024 at 11:02 PM, Charles Fischer said:

You can do that already in the Mountain West! They don't need to move! 

On 9/11/2024 at 10:33 PM, JabbaNoBargain said:

Ross also seems to indicate he thinks they will get back their “automatic bid” for the football playoff. That’s not a thing. Lol

No way the other P4 give them back autonomous standing. This is a G5 conference with a P5 label. 

The label means nothing at this point because we all know what's in it. They won't get their automatic bid. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/12/2024 at 1:33 AM, JabbaNoBargain said:

The MWC already has those markets, what’s the point of dancing around instead of just adding a couple teams from Texas to the MWC?

More TV money per school for these four institutions if they to ditch the bottom tier MWC schools. 

Pete, I think you are being optimistic. CW, FOX, and ESPN already own this game inventory. Pay more because these 4 join up with the Pac-2? 

• Thumbs Up 1

So, let me get this straight:

• The Mountain West Conference (MWC) forms a scheduling alliance with Oregon State and Washington State, after the other 10 PAC-12 universities left the conference, so that they could play football this season.

• OSU and WSU then decide to poach the top four MWC schools with the money that they stole from the departing 10 universities, leaving the MWC on life support.  

Did I get that right?

If so, that is WAY worse than the departing universities giving official notice after the PAC-12 media deal concluded. I don’t want to hear OSU and WSU fans / apologists trying to maintain the moral high ground ever again.   

Edited by OregonDucks
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Taking four MW conference teams, and adding two non-P4 teams

and spending all that money is the most expensive lipstick EVER.

giphy.gif

• Yikes! 1
  • Haha 2
  • Mic drop 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 9/12/2024 at 8:22 AM, OregonDucks said:

OSU and WSU then decide to poach the top four MWC schools with the money that they stole from the departing 10 universities, leaving the MWC on life support.  

Did I get that right?

Yes, and the OSU President said that she, "did not want to do anything unethical."

giphy.gif

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

At the very least this will be interesting conversation fodder for the next year.

One also has to wonder, given the instability of the ACC if Stanford and Cal would want back into the PAC if that conference crumbles after the season.  I'd wager no but crazier things have happened.

What I was getting at earlier…AQ status does not exist, for anyone, because of which conference they are in. You just have to win a conference that will result in you being highly ranked.

From ESPN:

The five highest-ranked conference champions and the next seven highest-ranked teams will earn a spot in the 12-team bracket. There is no limit to how many teams from one conference can qualify. The rules also don't guarantee spots for certain conferences. The champions of the Big 12, SEC, ACC and Big Ten will almost certainly routinely qualify, though, along with the highest-ranked champion from the Mountain West, American Athletic Conference, Sun Belt, Mid-American Conference or Conference USA.

There is no minimum ranking requirement for the five highest-ranked conference champions. There could be a conference champion ranked No. 23, for example, that's the fifth highest-ranked league winner and earns a spot in the playoff -- at the expense of the committee's No. 12 team.

Edited by JabbaNoBargain
  • Thumbs Up 1

So, it will be the 6-Pac?

• Haha 2

Another article - this one in USA Today. Talks about the "What for?" of this proposal.

WWW.USATODAY.COM

The Pac-12 raiding the Mountain West of four schools to stay afloat is another low for college athletics and it sets new standard for...

• Haha 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Whoa! A brutal, but truthful article that summarized it better than I could ever write.

Thanks Canvasback, for posting it.  Terrific piece…

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

I have to tip my hat to the SAD 2 (Stranded Abandoned Delusional) for attempting to stay in the headlines for another week.

This also feels a bit retaliatory because the MW didn't want to schedule games with OSU and WSU next year. So they were left out to cobble together independent schedules but they just decided to pull the trigger and take from the MW to form a slightly better MW... by slightly better I mean they have the best teams from the MW and none of the bad ones so they are now slightly better. 

It's still the MW. 

• Applause 1

How is what the Pig-2 did to the Mountain West ANY different than what the B1G did to the PAC-12 in taking the four best teams?

Damn..I sure am glad we are in one of two super-conferences!  Whew!

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 9/12/2024 at 10:01 AM, David Marsh said:

This also feels a bit retaliatory because the MW didn't want to schedule games with OSU and WSU next year. So they were left out to cobble together independent schedules but they just decided to pull the trigger and take from the MW to form a slightly better MW... by slightly better I mean they have the best teams from the MW and none of the bad ones so they are now slightly better. 

It's still the MW. 

The conspiracist in me thinks this may have been the end game for the P-2 all along.  We really don't know what went on behind closed doors in their negotiations.  They may have taken a postion that the MWC couldn't possibly agree to (unequal revenue sharing?), then poached their four "best" teams on their way out the door.

Pure speculation I know, but what evil lurks in the hearts of men (or women commissioners) . . .?

Never a dull moment in the new world order of college football.

On 9/12/2024 at 11:22 AM, OregonDucks said:

So, let me get this straight:

• The Mountain West Conference (MWC) forms a scheduling alliance with Oregon State and Washington State, after the other 10 PAC-12 universities left the conference, so that they could play football this season.

• OSU and WSU then decide to poach the top four MWC schools with the money that they stole from the departing 10 universities, leaving the MWC on life support.  

Did I get that right?

If so, that is WAY worse than the departing universities giving official notice after the PAC-12 media deal concluded. I don’t want to hear OSU and WSU fans / apologists trying to maintain the moral high ground ever again.   

Amen, OD. I thought that other conferences that poached teams were REPREHENSIBLE Dirty Birds! 🤣

I'm TO'd that the Pac-2 used the stolen dough for this after shrewdly agreeing to pay $40M more for the MW escapees. How did this happen when you have a brilliant CFO like John Canzano? 

Come 2026, we are more likely to see a B1G/SEC World Series College Football PO than seeing the Pac-Whatever with a guaranteed invite. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/12/2024 at 11:22 AM, 30Duck said:

So, it will be the 6-Pac?

Or Half Pac (depending on your POV)…

Edited by OregonDucks

Finalized next week!?

As most speculate this will reinvent the PAC12 a G6 conference.

The playoffs arrangement could care less about "Group of #" rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic. Those teams are who they are. We may still get beat by them on occasion (perhaps in 2 days) but it's just not P2 level ability on average.

Oh dear . . . I cannot participate in this discussion for long.

I'm having PTSD from all the prior P12 media topics/debates on the OBD. If I have to see more statistics on TV Market sizes, I might just keel over.

That said, I'll get in and out.

1) P2 should just join the Mountain West.

2) Since #1 doesn't appear to be happening, lean into the regionality and keep teams local. Build a league that can build a foundation of rivalries, passion, and tradition.

3) Bring Cal and Stanford back.

OR

Do what should have happened before USC, UCLA, Oregon, and Washington left . . . otherwise you'll slowly be picked apart by the Big Power 2 Conferences anyways. And that is:

4) Combine all the best non-SEC/B1G teams/conferences from coast to coast and form a massive league with divisions (Pacific, Central, and Atlantic) and a playoff to earn a spot or two in the CFP. 

Wolken speaks some truth while OSU/WSU are busy sticking their fingers into the frosting on a year old cake.   Good link for everyone to read.

Dennis Dodd can be a Big12 apologist and curmudgeon, but Wolken generally seems a bit more neutral.  And, he seems to nail this.

On 9/12/2024 at 10:08 AM, Charles Fischer said:

How is what the Pig-2 did to the Mountain West ANY different than what the B1G did to the PAC-12 in taking the four best teams?

Well, the B1G didn't pay the thieves money for taking the four schools. The four "forfeited" their FARE share...and with those shares the thieves stole four teams from another conference. So what they did is twice as bad as what happened with the B1G.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

Mr. FishDuck

Mr. FishDuck

Pac-12 Conference: Nine schools to watch for further expansion plans

WWW.ON3.COM

With the Pac-12 now at six schools, the conference needs to add at least two more for FBS status. Who are the top contenders?

On 9/12/2024 at 8:21 AM, Pete said:

Pete, I think you are being optimistic. CW, FOX, and ESPN already own this game inventory. Pay more because these 4 join up with the Pac-2? 

MWC media rights deal is up in '26 

Paying 110M to survive as P-12 is just dumb, except I guess the 2 thieves wouldn't be able to use that dough we earned for them if they were to join MWC...  Now I guess we will see with MWC do with that money.  Maybe they can buy the 4 traitors back.  What's the exit fee for 6pac?    Wouldn't that be hilarious?  🤣

Edited by DuckFan93
  • Haha 1

Andy Staples, Ari Wasserman debate how Pac-12 revival could impact ACC, future conference realignment

On 9/12/2024 at 12:10 PM, cartm25 said:

3) Bring Cal and Stanford back.

Going to be honest this probably wont happen. Stanford won't be caught dead in the same conference as Boise State and Cal is in the same boat. 

The thing here is that these conferences do share resources academically as well as the athletic component. Upon joining the B1G, Oregon got access to the entirety of the conference library system. 

Cal and Stanford don't see the value in most of these MW schools on an academic level.

• Thumbs Up 2

So instead of going to the Mountain West they are paying to have the MW schools come them using their piggie money. I read a ridiculous article from the Athletic speculating on FSU and Clemson going to the PAC. Nothing's changed, it's still a G5 rowboat trying to make it seem like it's a possible Yacht. With enough fairy dust and unicorn tears it can happen.

• Haha 2

The announcement at this moment, prior to the instate rivalry games, is hysterical. Talk about throwing gas on the fire! Just what the Ducks and Dawgs need, a little more incentive to put on a beat down!

Now I really want to see us put up at least 50!

At the end of the day, this new conference of G5 teams will still need some media group to put up a lot of $$.

At least a $100M/year. Most likely a streaming platform at that.

Is that even likely?

Whatever sympathy was left for the old P12 is gone now. No one wanted them last year, how does adding G5 schools make them more desirable. This is truly a desperate move by peops who can't accept the reality of the truth, no one wants you!

• Applause 1

Wow.  What to say about this?

I don't think it is necessarily a terrible idea to try and rebuild the PAC with the best MWC and AAC teams available.  Then you ensure that you are the Top G5 conference and likely have access to the playoff most years.  I know some say they will get cut out next round, but I have my doubts. 

However, as another poster pointed out, where is the media rights money coming from and will it be any better than the MWC money?  Seems like a big risk for the 4 teams leaving the MWC if there is no set deal on the table, unless OSU and WSU are footing the bill, which I guess is likely.   

Edited by GeotechDuck

I feel kind of bad for Boise. They were on the verge of joining the Big East right before that league collapsed. They've punched above their weight for over two decades and built a brand unique and lasting. Smurf Turf. Hook and ladder, beating multiple big brands like Oklahoma, Oregon and Virginia Tech. 

Sadly their academics are terrible and they have a tiny television market with no immediate top 50 markets nearby. So now they are jumping onboard a conference that was at one point considered an equal to the B1G. But the PAC is like a BLT with no bacon, no lettuce and no tomato. It's just stale bread at this point.

Hopefully the Big 12 considers then and they can at least join a real Power conference instead of the Piggly Wiggly. A distant third yes, but a P4 league still.

AMEN, Bama Hammer, and Also Get Tony Petitti On Board. 

BAMAHAMMER.COM

Let me be clear that I have nothing against America's West Coast. It is home to some of the nation's most extraordinary landscapes. In college football's histor