Steven A

Words Alone Cannot Describe the Utter Ridiculousness of this Face Book Post

I'm speechless. 

IMG_2874.jpg

Height of delusion. Combing the MWC and the Big Sky with a couple Dakotas = super conference?

As someone that lived in Moscow, ID for 10 years, I would be extremely disappointed if Idaho takes the bait and goes back to FBS. They, along with the other Big Sky powers are in a perfect spot and enjoying themselves, don’t mess it up with anything resembling this foolishness.

Edited by JabbaNoBargain
  • Thumbs Up 1

I say go for it. Why not?

Setting aside the brand names and conference reputation, this map is the one that's laughable . . . geographically speaking:

image.thumb.png.6130329f8f4a6834d55a49c31c4d6ec1.png

• Thumbs Up 1

The point of a conference in today's world is to have something people would actually pay money for. There are no sizeable tv markets anywhere on that map.

The future of college football is the joining of the best B1G teams together with the best SEC teams into a true super conference. Add ND and a few ACC teams and that's it.

The remaining schools will have to scramble to make a home from the remaining ashes.

With the advent of paying players now, I don't think many G5 schools will be able to keep up. And call it what you will, the Pac? is now truly a G5 conference. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/13/2024 at 3:09 PM, DanLduck said:

The point of a conference in today's world is to have something people would actually pay money for. There are no sizeable tv markets anywhere on that map.

The future of college football is the joining of the best B1G teams together with the best SEC teams into a true super conference. Add ND and a few ACC teams and that's it.

The remaining schools will have to scramble to make a home from the remaining ashes.

With the advent of paying players now, I don't think many G5 schools will be able to keep up. And call it what you will, the Pac? is now truly a G5 conference. 

I don't know, in terms of TV markets Portland, SF, SD, LV, and Denver aren't bad.  I think it's rather a question of whether those respective teams pull enough eyeballs in those markets.

• Applause 1

Part of me finds it difficult to see FCS power houses like North Dakota want to leave the FCS for the FBS. Sure it's a bigger pond but I think so much of what makes that program tick is that it's a big fish in a smaller pond. They have been kings of the FCS for some time and would they want to trade it out to be a G6 school that rarely gets whiff at the playoff? 

• Thumbs Up 3

On 9/13/2024 at 1:46 PM, cartm25 said:

Setting aside the brand names and conference reputation, this map is the one that's laughable . . . geographically speaking:

Don't forget the ACC

Pac-12 realignment: Stanford, Cal moving to ACC with SMU

• Haha 1

On 9/13/2024 at 1:46 PM, cartm25 said:

Well, at least the conference name isn't geographical like "Pac"...  It's totally fine to have B1G cover the whole country.  What's ridiculous is the "10" part.   They should just drop it and call it "BIG Conference".  😅

Now, ACC is the laughable one as some teams are nowhere near the Atlantic.

Edited by DuckFan93

On 9/13/2024 at 4:23 PM, 30Duck said:

Don't forget the ACC

Pac-12 realignment: Stanford, Cal moving to ACC with SMU

Nice post.

I was really close to showing that map too, but figured the B1G map looked enough like it, haha.

What is laughable is Pac2 used the $ they stole from Pac12 to buy….wait for it….Fresno St., Colorado St, Boise St., and SDSU?!  And to remain solidly in G5?!

I think I just peed myself.

• Mic drop 1
  • Great post! 1

On 9/13/2024 at 5:17 PM, AllOregon said:

What is laughable is Pac2 used the $ they stole from Pac12 to buy….wait for it….Fresno St., Colorado St, Boise St., and SDSU?!  And to remain solidly in G5?!

What got them into this mess was bad management over the decades by their athletic department.

And now with the above stupid strategy?

giphy.gif

Mr. FishDuck

I'll say this, they could have joined the MWC and been just another member.

This way, they have the same teams but they feel better about themselves cuz now they are the leaders.

I don't see any chance the 2 Bay area schools leave the ACC to rejoin. Nor any former to leave Big12.

The Pac? is now definitely a G5 league and gives them an outsiders chance of making playoffs. I don't believe the conference winner will get an auto bid, but will certainly help towards being highest ranked G5.

They still need to convince a media company to put out at least $100 M/ year. Where's that gonna come from?

On 9/13/2024 at 6:02 PM, DanLduck said:

I'll say this, they could have joined the MWC and been just another member.

This way, they have the same teams but they feel better about themselves cuz now they are the leaders.

I don't see any chance the 2 Bay area schools leave the ACC to rejoin. Nor any former to leave Big12.

The Pac? is now definitely a G5 league and gives them an outsiders chance of making playoffs. I don't believe the conference winner will get an auto bid, but will certainly help towards being highest ranked G5.

They still need to convince a media company to put out at least $100 M/ year. Where's that gonna come from?

Oh they have the money if they want... 

If they paid the Pac-12 around 35-40 mil per school in media rights Fix and ESPN would be paying close to what they are now ... And probably less in the long run. 

They wanted to destroy the Pac-12 so they pretended like they didn't have the money. 

They could totally pay 10mil out per school if they wanted to. 

On 9/13/2024 at 7:00 PM, David Marsh said:

If they paid the Pac-12 around 35-40 mil per school in media rights Fix and ESPN would be paying close to what they are now ... And probably less in the long run. 

They wanted to destroy the Pac-12 so they pretended like they didn't have the money. 

They could totally pay 10mil out per school if they wanted to. 

I have a very hard time believing that this Pac? can get more $$ without Oregon and UW or Stanford. C'mon man.

• Haha 1

On 9/13/2024 at 7:04 PM, DanLduck said:

I have a very hard time believing that this Pac? can get more $$ without Oregon and UW or Stanford. C'mon man.

I was referring to the Pac-12 that included all the former members. 

This new Pac-12 will probably get 10mil each. 

On 9/13/2024 at 6:12 PM, kirklandduck said:

I don't know, in terms of TV markets Portland, SF, SD, LV, and Denver aren't bad.  I think it's rather a question of whether those respective teams pull enough eyeballs in those markets.

The SF and SD markets can’t even get enough eyeballs in their stadiums to fill out a Mr. Potato Head. Their TV markets are NFL-centric. Vegas and Denver only care about the NFL and Portland only cares about the Ducks and NFL.

• Thumbs Up 1

Don’t discount the small guys… see BSU vs. UO last week.  They can provide for some great entertainment. The more you consolidate the talent into fewer conferences the less NIU’s beating ND’s you have. You end up with a mini NFL which I find quite boring. I would really like to see the PAC survive, but it’s a steep mountain to climb with what’s left out there.

On 9/13/2024 at 7:00 PM, David Marsh said:

ESPN answers to Disney’s Board of Directors. (ESPN, ABC)

The companies long time CEO (Bob Iger) took back the company a few years ago because of declining revenues (stock price). The company has been gearing up to launch a joint venture Sports streaming platform called Venu Sports. 

Iger toyed with selling equity shares of ESPN to the NFL. Capital was probably needed for the joint venture. 

FUBO filed anti-trust lawsuit that has blocked the launch of the new sports platform. 

The PAC12 was forced to renegotiate its expired contract at a time where ESPN has to keep expenditures in check because of uncertainty.  

I guess the point is that the Board of Directors call the shots…I am guessing they are not throwing out any new huge contracts beyond the $7.8 billion contract paid for the CFP. 

We have no idea what college football will look like in 5-10 years. The previous 100 years will pale in comparison to the crazy things we will see.

The good news is if you don't like what you see so far, it will change. The bad news it just might be worse. The great news it will still be football, and Oregon will be in the thick of it.

I know I will be watching, mostly on tv, but I will always love my Ducks!

As for the beavs and the cougs partnering with the above map, that is a joke that would never last, much like many of the leagues. The crazy part is all of college sports is going to completely change too.

On 9/13/2024 at 5:17 PM, AllOregon said:

I think I just peed myself.

And they didn’t even take one of the fastest growing TV markets in UNLV from Vegas. Why not take UNLV?  It makes more sense than Boise. 

Utah State and Eastern Washington are in but New Mexico is out?

UNM is in an immediate market with 1 million people and a real airport 2 miles from campus.  30,000 students too.

Yes, I went to grad school there.

• Thumbs Up 1

And all available to stream from Apple TV(?), or the like for a HUGE television/steaming contract to pay each school 10-15 million dollars each.

Good luck winning super conference games against teams with 60-80 million TV budgets.

Yeah good luck with that.

• Thumbs Up 2