NYDuck

NIL - The New Reality

I'm sure you've all seen the news about the UNLV starting QB who is utilizing a redshirt after a 3-0 start with Rebels after UNLV allegedly did not hold up their end of the bargain financially. However, a lot of the rhetoric on X and other platforms is shedding an extremely negative light on him.

It certainly is an intriguing headline and I am 1000% certain this will not be the last time we see this happen. 

Interestingly enough, I went to college with him. I am sure more will come out of the story, but just wanted some people's thoughts on this situation. Welcome to the new world, OBD'ers. Buckle up!

• Go Ducks! 1

That might work with some schools or collectives like UNLV. However, I think agents, players, etc. would be very wary of burning bridges with a company like Nike before they even start their pro careers.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Similar to what happened with Jaden Rashada and UF, but this is definitely a first as it was a starting QB in the middle of his season. We obviously don't know the actual details of what the representations the NIL collective promised this kid and what they actually followed through with.

The big question moving forward for this specific player... what program will want him as he flat out quit on his team mid season. What's to say he wont do it again with the next school when he has a great game and then demands more NIL money? 

I am a huge believe these college players should get paid as much as they possibly can as nothing is guaranteed down the road. But this just proves we are still in the Wild Wild West of the NIL world. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Word gets around and NIL collectives who make promises and fail to deliver will ultimately hurt the colleges they support.

• Thumbs Up 1

This is NCAA's own fault for not creating a better framework for NIL to be more controlled. It is basically the wild west right now when it comes to this stuff in college. They want it to be closer to the NFL? well the League has contracts and bargaining agreements that both protect players and penalize them when they violate said agreements. This should be an automatic forfeiture for this year of eligibility as well as the scholarship and any NIL collective money that the school may have provided.

Any time money is exchanged for services rendered there needs to be proper legal language to back that up.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 9/25/2024 at 11:13 AM, QuackyQuack said:

The big question moving forward for this specific player... what program will want him as he flat out quit on his team mid season. What's to say he wont do it again with the next school when he has a great game and then demands more NIL money? 

I am a huge believe these college players should get paid as much as they possibly can as nothing is guaranteed down the road. But this just proves we are still in the Wild Wild West of the NIL world. 

Absolutely agree. The optics are horrible. At the end of the day... he is QUITTING one way or the other. 

However, just saw the On3 report stating he only received $3,000 out of an expected MINIMUM of $100,000.... this changes some things. Obviously we don't know the validity of this report. Very, VERY sticky situation and this will just be the first domino to fall and create a very scary precedent.

• Wow 2

On 9/25/2024 at 8:18 AM, Babyjesus615 said:

This should be an automatic forfeiture for this year of eligibility as well as the scholarship and any NIL collective money that the school may have provided.

Any time money is exchanged for services rendered there needs to be proper legal language to back that up.

That's the issue, the NIL Collective did not follow through with their promises. Not the players fault. He is just standing up for himself and I dont blame him. 

• Applause 1

We have already seen players who were rotational players but with a lot of upside opt to stop playing and preserve their redshirt so they can transfer and get a better pay day elsewhere or just keep their college career going. 

Kris Hudson didn't play last year other than a handful of snaps because he lost his starting spot at Oregon and wanted to transfer in order to try and help his NFL stock. He is now a valuable piece to the Washington State offense. Not sure it will help his NFL stock though playing for the Cougs. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/25/2024 at 9:10 AM, David Marsh said:

Kris Hudson didn't play last year other than a handful of snaps because he lost his starting spot at Oregon and wanted to transfer in order to try and help his NFL stock. He is now a valuable piece to the Washington State offense. Not sure it will help his NFL stock though playing for the Cougs. 

Ditto for Bryon Addison, a safety at UCLA.  We sure could have used him playing Washington in 2022, and 2023...but while he would have played a ton, he wasn't starting.

So now he gets to start for the Bruins.  He sure showed us!

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

There is so much to unpack here. And we don't know the details. But let's be clear if the school only paid this young man 3% of what he is owed HE DID NOT QUIT on his team.

Dan Lanning has a $7,000,000 contract with the Ducks. Think he would still be coaching at $210,000? Of course that would never happen. But you get the point.

The expectation has always been one sided.The player owes the school, but not necessarily the other way around. Well the chickens have come home to roost.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/25/2024 at 10:45 AM, NYDuck said:

However, just saw the On3 report stating he only received $3,000 out of an expected MINIMUM of $100,000

LOL. UNLV fans should start a GoFundMe with a goal of $97,000 before Saturday…

Edited by OregonDucks
  • Haha 2

On 9/25/2024 at 8:45 AM, QuackyQuack said:

That's the issue, the NIL Collective did not follow through with their promises. Not the players fault. He is just standing up for himself and I dont blame him. 

Boy,

I sure hope the College Football leaders nip these issues in the bud, AND maintain some semblance of the game they grew so well (until they made it oh so clear they were totally exploiting the players).

Reggie Bush...suing the PAC12 and USC?  Are you kidding me?  They guy skirted the rules to set up his parents ( and himself)!  Now he wants compensation because he "had to take that route".  

While I agree the NCAA and the school limited his financial opportunities, how do you rear-ends his situation, the. come up with a formula for the average player? They signed contracts after all. What a mess. When is a contract a contract?

In other words, when will the courts enforce the contracts people sign?  How is it just that people can sue to weasel out of their contracts?  This goes on in the NFL all the time. 

In my opinion, if you want market value for your services every so often, sign shorter duration contracts.  Or sign better contracts with incentive clauses.  

Worse, the NFL owners can't "collude" to 

restrict those negotiating ploys ( and some NFL owners are so stupid, they bid up the price for certain players- which in my opinion exposes just how much they STILL exploit the players).

I don't want 45 premier college teams mimicking that financial arrangement.  I loathe watching the NFL, until the semi finals for that very reason.  Seeing a player I've never heard of sign a $200M contract ( all the power to him actually), while seeing another player get mad because his ego tells him he's better (bolstered by the fact he's been to the Superbowl and three AFC title games) infuriates me.  

This UNLV kid is another unknown, already milking the system instead of suing the collective.  Worse, the public doesn't get to see the details of the contract- to determine what is just or unjust.  We already know kids are using the portal as leverage, and it is only going to get worse.  All so mostly anonymous kids that looked great at their local, mostly ordinary high school.

I'm all for setting the players up so they get rewarded for what really is a dangerous sport.  And if the colleges do this right, some kids will set up the next five to ten years for themselves, even if they never go to the NFL.  Heck I'm ok with players playing up to seven years now.  What a way to stick it to the NFL for preying on kids' hopes and dreams knowing less than 5% of them will never sign an NFL contract.  

Of course, setting up that kind of arrangement has to be carefully crafted, as agents and family members already blow up these kids' minds towards illusions of grandeur ( look at the Sanders kids- especially the defensive back- he's a marginal talent at best, and might not make an NFL team). Look at this UNLV kid.  Bad career move  in my mind.  Sue the damn collective.  Expose the game some, so players and families ( and CFB fans) get a grip on how the game is being played.  

• Great post! 2
  • Applause 1

On 9/25/2024 at 12:51 PM, Mike West said:

look at the Sanders kids- especially the defensive back- he's a marginal talent at best, and might not make an NFL team)

He could win the Heisman and match Johnny Football's NFL career.

• Haha 2

NIL, conferences, playoffs, transfers, actual student athletes, non revenue sports, we will see how these all play out over the next few years. All of them will look like nothing we have seen before, and that isn't just NIL which was really only seen in select conferences and programs in the past.

Take a look and have some coffee. And remember don't look directly at the sun!

images-10.jpeg

• Haha 2

Hell of an agent. Mr. Agent, I have been promised orally by an assistant coach, nothing in writing, that I will be paid $100K to transfer from Holy Cross to UNLV.

His agent didn't check with the UNLV NIL collective to confirm the offer and get it in writing. Well done Sir!

When Tark was at UNLV there was no problem paying the players, other than a few nudges from the NCAA. 😁

• Thumbs Up 2

These kids will run the gamut of being responsible with NIL funds to help set up their future, to squandering monies amongst their posse, and wonder what happened to all their friends when the funds run out. 

Potential lawsuits definitely deter any organization that tries to provide oversight. 

Sports fans want the sports they love to be sheltered from disputes over money that changes the game.

Way too late for that…conference realignment, player disputes, and all other problems that the pursuit of money creates are here to stay. 

A lesson in basic contract law - put it in writing, man!  Even a piece of napkin is better than nothing.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/25/2024 at 2:34 PM, Drake said:

Sports fans want the sports they love to be sheltered from disputes over money that changes the game.

This is it, exactly. Ignorance was truly bliss for me.

Every day now, along with covering the games, sports media is generating stories about contracts. NFL, NBA, MLB, not to mention, NIL. $30-60 million a year are what the stars are making, and I know I'll hear somebody tell me, "Now his family is secure." You think?

The NFL does have problem internally. The big $$$ are going everywhere, except to the running backs. The best contracts are the second ones. By that time an NFL RB is worn down. He's not getting a new deal.

The NBA is the worst. I cannot watch an NBA game anymore. Back in the 70's, Walt Frazier and the Knicks were my first favorite team. The' 77 Blazers, NBA Champs, started the next season, 50-10, before they were crippled by injuries.  "Showtime" with Magic and the Lakers and Bird and the Celtics, in the *80's. Jordan and the Bulls in the 90's, with the Pistons and the Knicks. Now, it's Load Management.

The Commissioner knows that interest is down for the regular season, so now there's a mid-season Playoff. Of course, with $$$ for the winning team. The NFL finally realized their All-Star game was a joke, so they replaced it with NFL players playing Dodge Ball.

The NBA is still playing the game, kind of. The average score now is 240-239. The Slam Dunk Contest, used to be something. Jordan, Domonique Wilkins, Clyde Drexler, Vince Carter. Now it's players nobody ever heard of. There isn't enough money in it for the stars to compete and none want to be embarrassed by not winning.

I will always be a fan of the Ducks and college sports I still watch the NFL, it hasn't eroded like the NBA has. The WNBA isn't really much better. Sabrina and the New York Liberty advanced to the 2nd round last night, I didn't watch. 

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Agree I don't care how the Ducks win, as long as it is legal. Pay the NIL, go to another conference, lose a couple games, but win the big one!

I just wish Dante had received another year with our Ducks. If there is a coach who deserves a break and a championship it is Dana Altman. 

Bottomline, Go Ducks and who cares about all the garbage going on in college sports, just give me great Duck athletics!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Just a few updates here that I saw last night. A Reb's running back is also utilizing his redshirt... and he claims it was not due to NIL. Also, the DL on USC Bear Alexander is doing the same.... granted he bailed on UGA and is already bailing on Lincoln Riley & Co.

What a time to be alive.... jeez. Madness will ensue! 😅 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/26/2024 at 6:29 AM, NYDuck said:

granted he bailed on UGA and is already bailing on Lincoln Riley & Co.

Bear would be a perfect fit at Colorado.

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1