Steven A

Bear Alexander Leaving the Trojans

Redshirting and out the door.

USC.RIVALS.COM

DT Bear Alexander intends to sit out the rest of the season to protect his redshirt.

• Yikes! 1
  • Whew! 1
  • Thanks 1

Interesting development... 

But Lanning wasn't interested in him the first time around. I kinda doubt he'll be interested this time around. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Indeed, Who cares at this point. Bear has real "head" problems and may never develop into anything meaningful (hope I am wrong though).

• Applause 1

On 9/26/2024 at 1:03 AM, Nevada Dawg said:

Indeed, Who cares at this point. Bear has real "head" problems and may never develop into anything meaningful (hope I am wrong though).

I fear he is the last thing we need...

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Lanning was right not to try the first time, I trust him this time too.

Seems to further confirm Lanning knows who to pursue and who to let go. Not that we get everyone we want, but it is nice to know we aren't just chasing 5* recruits like we use to.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

USC is in a very precarious position.  They have joined a conference with much more elite and desirable schools (Oregon being one of them) and are in danger of just becoming a Wisconsin-West in the B1G. 

Recruiting has become an issue, and keeping their "star" recruits is now a challenge. 

There is a story about a massive, unsinkable ship and an iceberg...can't recall the name, rhymes with Mitanic.  No matter, the parallels are there.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Dan knew this guy from his Georgia days and there was a good reason he passed.

Maybe GeorgiaDawg has some insights but there were rumors he was a 'me guy' and a 'troublemaker'.   This is not my assessment but what was said on social media by some with credentials.

• Thumbs Up 2

Apparently there is still trouble in La-La Land. This kid had red flags two years ago when he transferred to USC and underperformed with the last defensive regime Riley had.

Lynn is a very good DC and I imagine the accountability he demands from his players resulted in Alexander's reduced playing time. This may end up being a plus for U$C but it sure looks ugly right now.

Does anyone know what happens to an NIL deal if the player opts to take a redshirt? After observing the debacle with the QB at UNLV, you would think that those contracts have a clause for this type of eventuality. 

• Thumbs Up 1

$1 says he ends up in Corvallis. Seriously though, I was listening to Dusty Dvoracek this morning and he said he would never let Bear anywhere near his locker room if he were a HC. That's saying something coming from a guy like Dusty. He was known to start a public donnybrook or two back in his day.

I'd be willing to bet that Lanning has already talked with Kirby Smart, probably when Bear was in the portal Georgia, and has already heard an ear full on Bear. Bear's problem in Athens was that he already considered himself a consensus All American as a rising sophomore and was quite chippy in practices with Georgia's grown-men offensive linemen during practices, regularly getting his backside kicked for his efforts. He was convinced, I have heard, that the offensive side of the ball pretty much hated him. I don't want to speak for those on the offensive side of the ball, but I suspect that they considered him a punk and were glad to see him depart.

The tragedy here is that Bear has some real talent and may have achieved that All-American DT status if he had just accepted the challenge and let coach Tray Scott develop him the way Scott has done with so many other Georgia defensive linemen. Bear may turn it around but I fear his upper level now may be the CFL.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

On 9/26/2024 at 10:13 AM, Haywarduck said:

Lanning was right not to try the first time, I trust him this time too.

Seems to further confirm Lanning knows who to pursue and who to let go. Not that we get everyone we want, but it is nice to know we aren't just chasing 5* recruits like we use to.

One of the few 'rules' left in the portal world, you can't play for different teams in the same season. Can't play 4, redshirt, and sell yourself to another team.

This issue has yet to be litigated so soon, as was the case in the 1920s and 1930s, we may see a player being able to play for two or more teams in the same season without attending a class. 

The proposed House Settlement settles nothing beyond the House case. Without collective bargaining and relief from Congress, CFB is a, forgive me, sitting Duck. Reggie Bush could not keep up with the Kardashians and is among the latest to sue over being 'screwed out' of NIL millions.   

On 9/26/2024 at 12:14 PM, EastBayDuckDad said:

Apparently there is still trouble in La-La Land. This kid had red flags two years ago when he transferred to USC and underperformed with the last defensive regime Riley had.

Lynn is a very good DC and I imagine the accountability he demands from his players resulted in Alexander's reduced playing time. This may end up being a plus for U$C but it sure looks ugly right now.

Does anyone know what happens to an NIL deal if the player opts to take a redshirt? After observing the debacle with the QB at UNLV, you would think that those contracts have a clause for this type of eventuality. 

So far, you cannot play 4 games, take a redshirt year, and play for another team in the same season. But 'this' has yet to be tested in court.

On 9/26/2024 at 11:08 AM, Jon Joseph said:

So far, you cannot play 4 games, take a redshirt year, and play for another team in the same season. But 'this' has yet to be tested in court.

I think the defense for against allowing mid season transfers goes to school enrollment. Enrollment closes on classes at some point and athletes moving to different institutions during a season cannot necessarily enroll in classes which is still a major component of college athletics. 

As it stands right now they still need to be students. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/26/2024 at 11:05 AM, Jon Joseph said:

we may see a player being able to play for two or more teams in the same season without attending a class. 

Basketball players at North Carolina did.

• Haha 1

On 9/26/2024 at 8:58 AM, Augduck said:

Dan knew this guy from his Georgia days and there was a good reason he passed.

Maybe GeorgiaDawg has some insights but there were rumors he was a 'me guy' and a 'troublemaker'.   This is not my assessment but what was said on social media by some with credentials.

Meant Nevada Dawg (apologies Nevada Dawg, no disrespect intended).  You confirmed what I heard both publicly and privately.

He has left the team. An airhead.

On 9/26/2024 at 11:44 AM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

I was listening to Dusty Dvoracek this morning and he said he would never let Bear anywhere near his locker room if he were a HC. 

With his "potential," Bear will land in a good program. A lot of coaches just can't help themselves...

Edited by OregonDucks
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 9/28/2024 at 8:50 AM, OregonDucks said:

With his "potential," Bear will land in a good program. A lot of coaches just can't help themselves...

He will land somewhere but I doubt he'll land anywhere better. 

Fresno St.