FishDuck Article

The Ducks of Destiny

Oregon fans let out a sigh of relief Saturday night as Anthony Brown crossed the goal line early in the fourth quarter. The score made it 31-14 and virtually put the game away for the Ducks. Finally, a game that was not going to come down to the final possession in the final minutes or even seconds — a game ...

Read the full article here...

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 2

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Thanks DP for the morning read.

I think being prepared for close, hard fought games is a good way to build resilience and character. These guys have not only fought the opposing team, but the "third team" in zebra stripes too. Also, arguably, the 4th team now up in replay with a lack of camera angles. I saw a twitter post from a duck fan that showed Brown Jr's knee down pre ball strip. Just ridiculous. 

As for the pac 12, maybe it's a better and overall balanced conference than given credit. You have UCLA who handled LSU quite easily, a team that almost took down Bama. You can Colorado who - through their own follies - should have beat a (sleeping?) unprepared Texas A&M team. You know, that same one that beat Bama in a thriller. Then you get Auburn who lost to Penn St, and Tennessee who lost to Pitt. Maybe the SEC isn't all that good this year. Maybe the SEC teams would each have another loss if they simply played 9 games.

I digress....

The Ducks have every opportunity to make it and be competitive. They showed that against Ohio State. The "voters" seem to forget the Buckeyes tossed over 400 yards against the Ducks and still lost. It's not like they didn't move the ball, they just got ran all over. Just like the Ducks have been doing all year - running the ball down everyone's throats. 

The Ducks always play Utah tough. I expect this to be the case this weekend too.

Cheers. 

• Thumbs Up 8
  • Like 1

Great post and response. 

This team is resilient and unified and getting better each week. Healthier too. Big challenges ahead for sure but lots of tough games and several comebacks help the confidence. 

Georgia Alabama and others are not so far ahead as to be invincible. Alabama had 6 yards rushing the other week. Stetson Bennet isn’t special fast and the Georgia O isn’t Dominant. Tosu was beatable at home without the Ducks best player. No team is far ahead of the others. 

I like to remember so many teams I’ve witnessed win championships do so because of the momentum and confidence gained at the end of a season. Those playing best often win even if they weren’t the best all year. 

1-0

just go 1-0

5 more times. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/16/2021 at 6:43 AM, Vandownbytheriverduck said:

Georgia Alabama and others are not so far ahead as to be invincible.

Nope, as much as ESPN and its FPI wants it to be, it isn't this year. Georgia does have gaudy defensive stats this season. So much so that they haven't been tested, and is "6 rushing yards against LSU Alabama" going to be the stresser?  

Since losing at home to Oregon, Oh. St. has had an easy run through Akron, Maryland and Rutgers But Nebraska put up a bit of a fight, then the Buckeyes tore up Purdue. The Buckeyes are an offensive juggernaut this season, certain that they will be able to get enough points to win, and they have, except that one time.

These Ducks are tough, maybe they are a team of destiny

• Thumbs Up 1

It's been a crazy ride with this young, talented group of players. If you can, go back and watch the early games this year. This team has grown immensely.

Because of those injuries players were playing at positions they never had before. True freshmen stepping  up, playing hard and learning on the job. Destiny comes packaged in many wrappings. Some beautiful and others ugly.

IMHO, after rewatching the games, when the young Ducks focused the other team had no answer. (tOSU, UCLA, Colorado, uw, WSU)

In my years of coaching we didn't call it playing down to the opponent. It was a lack of focus both in practice and in game execution. Lack of focus kept passion and intensity from taking the field.

The last 3 games do any of you feel the Ducks lacked focus, passion and intensity? ( Compared to some of the other games, i feel they came to play, dominate and win).

This Duck team only controls how they prepare and execute in the game. They can be 12-1.

As for destiny the story should be told on the field.. However,, that story is controlled by the invitational committee and the cheapskates at Disney. If they don't care about how the quality of the product they were selling was presented with the Duck/WSU game, then I don't expect the IC will truly respect what happens on the field.....

The teams that will drive ratings have the upper hand in making the invitational party. The business and money will drive this Disney destiny train. (Here's hoping for Alabama and Cincinnati to lose)

Go Ducks. Be focused go 1-0 this week. It's the only way to 12-1.

• Thumbs Up 3

"And if practice makes perfect, guess who will have a hell of a lot more practice at winning those kinds of games."

Finally! 

NOW  I  understand exactly what a masterminded, sneaky-good, all-makes-sense now strategically perfect nail-biting game after game ultimate hidden purpose reasoning that has been causing all this stress I've suffered!

Darren you are genius, and thanks to you I am at peace now.  We got it in the bag!

Kevin Costner Nod GIF by Yellowstone

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks DP. This is exactly how we also lost to a lesser team in the Stanford game. Seems like every call or break goes against the Ducks towards the end of games. Will our luck change or is this the new life of a Ducks fan. We can only hope not.

On 11/16/2021 at 7:52 AM, Just Ducky said:

Thanks DP. This is exactly how we also lost to a lesser team in the Stanford game. Seems like every call or break goes against the Ducks towards the end of games. Will our luck change or is this the new life of a Ducks fan. We can only hope not.

I believe we lost to Stanford for numerous reasons

#1 we lost B Williams to a freak injury the day before. And all the other injuries we had

#2 we lost coach Moorhead to the hospital before the game.

#3 we lost our center Forsyth in warm ups which meant we had to jumble our OL again but never used in a game before.

#4 we hadn't played on the road since our huge unbelievable win at tOSU and were not focused for 1st half of the game where we fell behind 17/7, because of all of the above.

#5 our defense came out and shut the Cardinals down totally and our Offense clawed its way back and then we lose CJ Verdel again for the third year in a row. (They had been trying to protect him all season so this wouldn't happen because we all know without him we would be in trouble)

#5 we take the lead and stop them 1 more time with 3 minutes remaining and our driving the ball to close the game out when we get a holding and offside penalty. We punt to them they end up at their 4 yard line with 1 minute and have to score a TD to tie. They were given a 4% chance. Then our nemesis the Pac refs gave them the game. 

Remember these are just kids sometimes things don't work out.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

...all that and it was a very warm day on the farm. That favors the propeller heads. Not an excuse, but another factor.

Death by a thousand cuts.

• Thanks 1

"NO EASY DAY!"

I think the Navy Seals motto aptly applies to Oregon fans under Mario's watch. Especially in 2021 when the quick strike deep ball arrow is not in Oregon's quiver. These Ducks are going to run the clock and grind it out on the ground. The D is going to play solid but not spectacular defense. THIS is a formula that keeps almost every opponent in the game into the 4th quarter. It's tough on us Fans but I think Mario actually enjoys THIS?

THIS is Mario. IT is in the man's DNA. At The U, when it was The U, Mario played for two aggressive, innovative coaches in Jimmy Johnson and Dennis Erickson. He has seen his coaching mentor, Nick Saban evolve with the game. Alabama now plays a lot of 'fast break' O and has sleeker, quicker guys on the D side of the ball. Mario will not do what Nick has done. And another difference between Saint Nick and Mario? Saban's teams show up game after game and rarely play down to the level of the opponent. With Mario? How the team will show up will not be determined prior to kick off.

As a fan it is gut wrenching to live with this kind of ball. But the proof is in the pudding, at least the home pudding. Playing in Autzen, Mario has 1L on his resume. Along with a few boos. The Ducks will win in SLC, defeat Oregon State and win again over Utah in the Pac-12 champ game. Not one of these wins will be easy on the team or on the fans. But at the end of the day, the W is what matters.

ESPN? The Pac-12 is ESPN's red-headed step child. The Conference of Champions exists for ESPN to provide late night entertainment for insomniacs and alcoholics bending the elbow in taverns that close late. Can GK fix this? Geography is working against the Pac-12. Perhaps all Pac-12 games should be played in the daylight and streamed all day long? Perhaps the Pac-12 should go all in with FOX and possibly CBS now that CBS has lost the SEC coverage to ESPN? One thing for certain. The Pac-12 either needs to shut down the financially insolvent network or find a media partner to operate the network with professional and not amateur hour,  production values. There is no reason whatsoever for the Pac-12 Network to have its games kicking off well after dark.

As to the refs? They will not improve. Crews in the NFL who make far more money than college refs screw up. It does baffle me as to why refs are immune from having their respective grades made public the week after the game? What does it take for a ref or a crew to be demoted or canned? Does anyone know? The refs at Stanford may well have cost the conference $6M?

Keep on plodding away Puddles. Plod all the way to the Final 4. 

Thanks for the take DP. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

On 11/16/2021 at 4:38 AM, Quackanadian said:

Thanks DP for the morning read.

I think being prepared for close, hard fought games is a good way to build resilience and character. These guys have not only fought the opposing team, but the "third team" in zebra stripes too. Also, arguably, the 4th team now up in replay with a lack of camera angles. I saw a twitter post from a duck fan that showed Brown Jr's knee down pre ball strip. Just ridiculous. 

As for the pac 12, maybe it's a better and overall balanced conference than given credit. You have UCLA who handled LSU quite easily, a team that almost took down Bama. You can Colorado who - through their own follies - should have beat a (sleeping?) unprepared Texas A&M team. You know, that same one that beat Bama in a thriller. Then you get Auburn who lost to Penn St, and Tennessee who lost to Pitt. Maybe the SEC isn't all that good this year. Maybe the SEC teams would each have another loss if they simply played 9 games.

I digress....

The Ducks have every opportunity to make it and be competitive. They showed that against Ohio State. The "voters" seem to forget the Buckeyes tossed over 400 yards against the Ducks and still lost. It's not like they didn't move the ball, they just got ran all over. Just like the Ducks have been doing all year - running the ball down everyone's throats. 

The Ducks always play Utah tough. I expect this to be the case this weekend too.

Cheers. 

Ducks are certainly battle tested. But boy would it be nice to have an easy victory this Saturday. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/16/2021 at 6:43 AM, Vandownbytheriverduck said:

Great post and response. 

This team is resilient and unified and getting better each week. Healthier too. Big challenges ahead for sure but lots of tough games and several comebacks help the confidence. 

Georgia Alabama and others are not so far ahead as to be invincible. Alabama had 6 yards rushing the other week. Stetson Bennet isn’t special fast and the Georgia O isn’t Dominant. Tosu was beatable at home without the Ducks best player. No team is far ahead of the others. 

I like to remember so many teams I’ve witnessed win championships do so because of the momentum and confidence gained at the end of a season. Those playing best often win even if they weren’t the best all year. 

1-0

just go 1-0

5 more times. 

Peaking at the end is definitely key. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/16/2021 at 7:21 AM, 30Duck said:

Nope, as much as ESPN and its FPI wants it to be, it isn't this year. Georgia does have gaudy defensive stats this season. So much so that they haven't been tested, and is "6 rushing yards against LSU Alabama" going to be the stresser?  

Since losing at home to Oregon, Oh. St. has had an easy run through Akron, Maryland and Rutgers But Nebraska put up a bit of a fight, then the Buckeyes tore up Purdue. The Buckeyes are an offensive juggernaut this season, certain that they will be able to get enough points to win, and they have, except that one time.

These Ducks are tough, maybe they are a team of destiny

Yeah, Georgia is very good, but not scary good like some previous Alabama teams. That brings hope. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/16/2021 at 12:18 PM, Tandaian said:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/fpi/_/view/resume  Computers have the Ducks SOS higher than Georgia and Alabama right now.

Last week Bama had a brutal inter-sectional battle vs 'natural' opponent New Mexico State. This Saturday, UGA plays Chaz South before finishing up with mighty Georgia Tech. And, not to be missed, A+M vs some kind of Inferior View? 

Let's play 9! Let's send the #3 team in the country on the road to play #24 instead of playing New Mexico State in Autzen. BRILLIANT!

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/16/2021 at 7:28 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

It's been a crazy ride with this young, talented group of players. If you can, go back and watch the early games this year. This team has grown immensely.

Because of those injuries players were playing at positions they never had before. True freshmen stepping  up, playing hard and learning on the job. Destiny comes packaged in many wrappings. Some beautiful and others ugly.

IMHO, after rewatching the games, when the young Ducks focused the other team had no answer. (tOSU, UCLA, Colorado, uw, WSU)

In my years of coaching we didn't call it playing down to the opponent. It was a lack of focus both in practice and in game execution. Lack of focus kept passion and intensity from taking the field.

The last 3 games do any of you feel the Ducks lacked focus, passion and intensity? ( Compared to some of the other games, i feel they came to play, dominate and win).

This Duck team only controls how they prepare and execute in the game. They can be 12-1.

As for destiny the story should be told on the field.. However,, that story is controlled by the invitational committee and the cheapskates at Disney. If they don't care about how the quality of the product they were selling was presented with the Duck/WSU game, then I don't expect the IC will truly respect what happens on the field.....

The teams that will drive ratings have the upper hand in making the invitational party. The business and money will drive this Disney destiny train. (Here's hoping for Alabama and Cincinnati to lose)

Go Ducks. Be focused go 1-0 this week. It's the only way to 12-1.

The Washington game they certainly came to play and could have put out of reach earlier except for 2  back-to-back boneheaded 15-yard penalties. Gotta keep that stuff under control, an area to continue to imporve upon. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Wow

On 11/16/2021 at 7:42 AM, 81DuckAlum said:

"And if practice makes perfect, guess who will have a hell of a lot more practice at winning those kinds of games."

Finally! 

NOW  I  understand exactly what a masterminded, sneaky-good, all-makes-sense now strategically perfect nail-biting game after game ultimate hidden purpose reasoning that has been causing all this stress I've suffered!

Darren you are genius, and thanks to you I am at peace now.  We got it in the bag!

Kevin Costner Nod GIF by Yellowstone

That's not to say they aren't playing with fire, see Stanford game. ; )

• Haha 1

On 11/16/2021 at 7:52 AM, Just Ducky said:

As a team that has progressively gotten better as a whole, hopefully the next step is to  improve into a team that can put teams away

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/16/2021 at 8:35 AM, Duck 1972 said:

I believe we lost to Stanford for numerous reasons

#1 we lost B Williams to a freak injury the day before. And all the other injuries we had

#2 we lost coach Moorhead to the hospital before the game.

#3 we lost our center Forsyth in warm ups which meant we had to jumble our OL again but never used in a game before.

#4 we hadn't played on the road since our huge unbelievable win at tOSU and were not focused for 1st half of the game where we fell behind 17/7, because of all of the above.

#5 our defense came out and shut the Cardinals down totally and our Offense clawed its way back and then we lose CJ Verdel again for the third year in a row. (They had been trying to protect him all season so this wouldn't happen because we all know without him we would be in trouble)

#5 we take the lead and stop them 1 more time with 3 minutes remaining and our driving the ball to close the game out when we get a holding and offside penalty. We punt to them they end up at their 4 yard line with 1 minute and have to score a TD to tie. They were given a 4% chance. Then our nemesis the Pac refs gave them the game. 

Remember these are just kids sometimes things don't work out.

And playing close games of course doesn't come without risk (Stanford), but it could be what contributes to a team peaking at the end of the season. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/16/2021 at 9:07 AM, nw777b said:

...all that and it was a very warm day on the farm. That favors the propeller heads. Not an excuse, but another factor.

Death by a thousand cuts.

... some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant. 

• Haha 1

On 11/16/2021 at 9:17 AM, Jon Joseph said:

"NO EASY DAY!"

I think the Navy Seals motto aptly applies to Oregon fans under Mario's watch. Especially in 2021 when the quick strike deep ball arrow is not in Oregon's quiver. These Ducks are going to run the clock and grind it out on the ground. The D is going to play solid but not spectacular defense. THIS is a formula that keeps almost every opponent in the game into the 4th quarter. It's tough on us Fans but I think Mario actually enjoys THIS?

THIS is Mario. IT is in the man's DNA. At The U, when it was The U, Mario played for two aggressive, innovative coaches in Jimmy Johnson and Dennis Erickson. He has seen his coaching mentor, Nick Saban evolve with the game. Alabama now plays a lot of 'fast break' O and has sleeker, quicker guys on the D side of the ball. Mario will not do what Nick has done. And another difference between Saint Nick and Mario? Saban's teams show up game after game and rarely play down to the level of the opponent. With Mario? How the team will show up will not be determined prior to kick off.

As a fan it is gut wrenching to live with this kind of ball. But the proof is in the pudding, at least the home pudding. Playing in Autzen, Mario has 1L on his resume. Along with a few boos. The Ducks will win in SLC, defeat Oregon State and win again over Utah in the Pac-12 champ game. Not one of these wins will be easy on the team or on the fans. But at the end of the day, the W is what matters.

ESPN? The Pac-12 is ESPN's red-headed step child. The Conference of Champions exists for ESPN to provide late night entertainment for insomniacs and alcoholics bending the elbow in taverns that close late. Can GK fix this? Geography is working against the Pac-12. Perhaps all Pac-12 games should be played in the daylight and streamed all day long? Perhaps the Pac-12 should go all in with FOX and possibly CBS now that CBS has lost the SEC coverage to ESPN? One thing for certain. The Pac-12 either needs to shut down the financially insolvent network or find a media partner to operate the network with professional and not amateur hour,  production values. There is no reason whatsoever for the Pac-12 Network to have its games kicking off well after dark.

As to the refs? They will not improve. Crews in the NFL who make far more money than college refs screw up. It does baffle me as to why refs are immune from having their respective grades made public the week after the game? What does it take for a ref or a crew to be demoted or canned? Does anyone know? The refs at Stanford may well have cost the conference $6M?

Keep on plodding away Puddles. Plod all the way to the Final 4. 

Thanks for the take DP. 

thanks, Jon.  It will be (or should be) such a relief when the new TV contract gets done. There's just no way the premier team in the conference should be playing in the 7.30 slot. Sure, the networks need programming to fill that slot, and I like to be still be watching football late on Saturday, but save it for the teams in the bottom half of the conference or the Mountain West. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I completely agree, there is something comforting about having a lead at the end of the game, even early in the 3rd quarter. This team doesn't seem to understand the fans need for this type of game. 

Some people see conspiracy theories all around, and I think we may have another here. I tend to think it is another plot to give Cristobal a chance to practice on his game, time management skills. It is a brilliant plan to work on this when games aren't really at risk, except at the farm where it went terribly wrong.

Cristobal has Feld help him control himself on the sideline. We all see Feld shadow Cristobal making sure he isn't on the field or too verbose with the refs. This job is extended to the players who also need help. Feld is also seen pulling in players off the field when needed.

I am not sure who keeps the games close for Cristobal, but somebody is out there occasionally calling bonehead plays or messing things up to keep it close. I expect this to stop as the we play better competition and the Cristobal training program can comes to an end. Could be happening, right?

• Haha 1

Always has to be a conspiracy. Ha ha ha

Have u seen MC hair. It's getting grayer every day right in front of our eyes.

On 11/16/2021 at 10:21 AM, Haywarduck said:

I completely agree, there is something comforting about having a lead at the end of the game, even early in the 3rd quarter. This team doesn't seem to understand the fans need for this type of game. 

Some people see conspiracy theories all around, and I think we may have another here. I tend to think it is another plot to give Cristobal a chance to practice on his game, time management skills. It is a brilliant plan to work on this when games aren't really at risk, except at the farm where it went terribly wrong.

Cristobal has Feld help him control himself on the sideline. We all see Feld shadow Cristobal making sure he isn't on the field or too verbose with the refs. This job is extended to the players who also need help. Feld is also seen pulling in players off the field when needed.

I am not sure who keeps the games close for Cristobal, but somebody is out there occasionally calling bonehead plays or messing things up to keep it close. I expect this to stop as the we play better competition and the Cristobal training program can comes to an end. Could be happening, right?

You think MC's doing a rope a dope on other teams? 🙂

• Haha 1

From past history, MC and his staff get the players UP for good opponents. Thankfully.......

Thankfully any game from here on out will be good opponents. With a dose of DP Destiny each opponent will be better.  Bodes well for MC and the warriors.

I really hope the Ducks play well enough and don't get shut out of the Disneyland Invitstional.

Why?  Call me crazy but this team will fight Georgia, Bama, Ohio State or whomever, tooth and nail. Just call em an underdog and it's on.

Our own paranoia sometimes puts us Duck fans on the defensive. We worry about this team can do, etc ..

Make no mistake about it, this team brings alot to the table. Any team we play knows what we did to tOSU in the Shoe. When properly motivated it appears they can bring it any time.

Georgia, Bama, Utah and Oregon State have not faced the schemes and game plans the Ducks bring. Just ask tOSU how difficult that task is.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/16/2021 at 10:52 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

From past history, MC and his staff get the players UP for good opponents. Thankfully.......

Thankfully any game from here on out will be good opponents. With a dose of DP Destiny each opponent will be better.  Bodes well for MC and the warriors.

I really hope the Ducks play well enough and don't get shut out of the Disneyland Invitstional.

Why?  Call me crazy but this team will fight Georgia, Bama, Ohio State or whomever, tooth and nail. Just call em an underdog and it's on.

Our own paranoia sometimes puts us Duck fans on the defensive. We worry about this team can do, etc ..

Make no mistake about it, this team brings alot to the table. Any team we play knows what we did to tOSU in the Shoe. When properly motivated it appears they can bring it any time.

Georgia, Bama, Utah and Oregon State have not faced the schemes and game plans the Ducks bring. Just ask tOSU how difficult that task is.

It is almost mind boggling at times to think how well they played at Ohio State after seeing how crummy they have also played this year. It does make it exciting. 

• Thumbs Up 1

DP it is mind boggling. It has caused the fans angst, nervous anticipation and in game anxiety.  The post Stanford week was the worst. We controlled that game for 59 minutes, especially that last 29. 

So glad the players stay focused to the end of the game. It took 00 on the clock and 2 weak calls by officials to give the Ford an opportunity.......

Positive thoughts that we go 1-0 this week. Positive thoughts that the officials bring their A plus game and ABC brings enough cameras.

Edited by HappyToBeADuck
  • Like 1

On 11/16/2021 at 10:21 AM, Haywarduck said:

Some people see conspiracy theories all around

Yeah, I have heard that too, but just hope that it doesn't backfire again like the Furd game...

On 11/16/2021 at 12:33 PM, Duck 1972 said:

Have u seen MC hair. It's getting grayer every day right in front of our eyes.

.....So, yeah,

but all this means is that he gets to be...

1750380164_ScreenShot11-16-21at05_31PM.PNG.7501b8cb3ece200c8238d4eb3a9caa7d.PNG

and I get to be.....

meh-grandpa.gif.b422266d23e0219470813961e9880965.gif

• Haha 3
  • Like 1