FishDuck Article

Oregon’s Offense is Becoming Watchable

Mario Cristobal’s offense has been efficient enough to win, but for fans it has not been watchable. There have been some really fun games during the Cristobal years, the 2019 Pac-12 Championship comes to mind where the Ducks ran over Utah, and we hope they do so again tomorrow. However, that game was just as much about an incredible defense ...

Read the full article here...

• Thumbs Up 2

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Good points and there is truth in what you wrote; we are not there yet, but this is the most progress in the nearly four years of Cristobal.

Devon Williams Background_Craig Strobeck.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

I admit that i did notice a lack of pistol in the last couple of games, which is good considering how predictable it had become for opposing teams to stop.

This offence is gearing up. Hopefully these last couple of games they will play lights out.

Cheers. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks David for sharing your thoughts. The "is Becoming" within your Title suggests the future. I sure hope for a more watchable offense in Oregon's future. I wince more than applaud during most games. "It's not easy being green" said Kermit the frog.

But, I'm happy for the wins, and proud of the foundation and substance of Oregon Football. Hopefully, better days on the offense will dawn ahead. Go Ducks. Go David.

Which creates the question, for me, is it that much harder to develop a passing attack, than a running attack?

I get it you need a qb who can throw the rock, but how hard is it to read zones, get receivers open and the receivers catch the ball, with regularity?

With the running game you really just need a dynamic running back. With a passing game you need a qb who can throw, read a defense, and the receivers get open and catch.

There are many other moving parts, but the main components are much smaller, skill wise, with a running game. 

The offense is getting exciting again because we are seeing innovation on the running plays, which are working.

I don't see the innovation in the passing game, nor the receivers showing real dominance. Certainly the qb seems limited in his passing, but the plays aren't there.  Bubble screens, effective crossing routes, and situations where I just want to watch our passing game in action, aren't happening, thoughts?

• Thumbs Up 3

Great article David.  Agree that games are more enjoyable to watch.  

I especially enjoy trying to understand the early offensive play calls that appear to probe for defensive player tendencies, then look for the adjustments made to attack them.

Seems the Duck coaches are playing chess instead of checkers (pistol plunge).

• Thumbs Up 2

Predictable is the worst adjective that can be attached to an offense and it definitely fit to the offense we were seeing early in the season.  The predictability has become less, and while we can't call the offense vibrant, it has become harder for us, and the opposing defense, to know what is coming next. 

• Thumbs Up 4

On 11/19/2021 at 4:34 AM, Notalot said:

The "is Becoming" within your Title suggests the future. I sure hope for a more watchable offense in Oregon's future.

The next level of both progression and watachability for the offense comes with a solid vertical passing game. I think Oregon has that next year with Thompson or Butterfield. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/19/2021 at 6:59 AM, Haywarduck said:

I don't see the innovation in the passing game, nor the receivers showing real dominance. Certainly the qb seems limited in his passing, but the plays aren't there.  Bubble screens, effective crossing routes, and situations where I just want to watch our passing game in action, aren't happening, thoughts?

I think the offense is really focused on just the run right now. I saw some replays of the past couple of games and saw some crossing routes where the receivers did beat their man... But the play became a run play instead. 

Brown doesn't have the vision or patience for a passing game. Which is why creating so many run plays is working. 

• Thumbs Up 2

David this offense is becoming more watchable. Thankfully...... Nice observation and well explained article. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts with us 

IMHO the JM offense is very sophisticated and difficult to defend. Each formation has multiple but unique options that require the defense to sit back, momentarily, and watch the play unfold. That hesitation, coupled with the correct QB read, allows the offense to move the ball with ease. As 30Duck mentioned "It is becoming harder for us, and the opposing defense, to no what is coming"

The defense cannot be overly aggressive. When they try they take themselves out of the play. For me, a 5 to 8 minute Duck drive is beautiful. Fun to watch...."Becoming more watchable"

The last 3 games our rushing attack, coupled with the Ducks aggressive defense has allowed the opponents about 25 minutes of time of possession. Take out garbage time and Colorado has 14 points, WSU 17 points and the puppies got 16. That's impressive. Ball control and time of possession equal fresh aggressive defenders.

As I have rewatched the games the long passing attack has been there for the Ducks. AB has not connected. The receivers have beaten the defender deep. Should have been TD's. Or big yardage. If those passes had connected we all would have felt excited. 

When I watch the JM offense it's like watching a chess match. Just that moves take place within a 40 second clock.  Enjoy these last potential 5 games because chances are JM will be gone.

I will always keep watching Duck games. They are more watchable now and the future maybe even be more so. Let's hope the future QB's have equal execution ad AB, but better downfield vision.

• Thumbs Up 3

Guest KingT

Good piece, awesome photo by Craig of 7 McGee. Duck fans have been spoiled over the years but I think we would all prefer winning, be in weekly National conversation for CFP and dominate in conference, than stress about flashy numbers. But that's not to say it's an easy transition to a pound-the-rock mentality from the past where exciting chunk plays were the norm. At the end of the day, if this team can own the line of scrimmage and run for 300+ yards a game, then they will keep doing that until someone stops them.

But Moorhead is a really bright signal caller (we saw what happened when he missed Stanford) and he should give us all confidence that if he see more opportunities in the passing game, then he will exercise those options. This year, it appears coaches have designed play calling to 1) the strengths of the offense and 2) address the Defensive posture.

Despite a few moments of frustration with AB, I'm certain that he gives this team the best chance to win, whether by his feet or arm -- I'm also certain the coaches know exactly who's best able to succeed, whether it be RBs, WRs or QBs. So far, it's been a great year and we should be thankful this team and coaches are so committed and dedicated to success. 

On 11/19/2021 at 8:42 AM, KingT said:

Duck fans have been spoiled over the years but I think we would all prefer winning, be in weekly National conversation for CFP and dominate in conference, than stress about flashy numbers.

Just as Duck fans we have come to associate those flashy numbers with being in the National conversation. Do we need a super flashy offense to win a National Championship? No... but it is certainly nice to have one. 

• Like 1

Excellent take, Thank you David.

Ducks have the #10 rushing attack in the nation and are converting 52% of 3rd downs. Good stuff.

1 disagreement. In this so-called Playoff Era, style points do count. A blowout win is better than a 1 point win. I value wins by whether the winning team covered the spread. Oregon has done so in its last 2 games.

On 11/19/2021 at 10:01 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Oregon has done so in its last 2 games.

And Oh. St. has not, and there is a good chance won't in the rest of their games, albeit against ranked teams. 

On 11/19/2021 at 7:46 AM, David Marsh said:

I think the offense is really focused on just the run right now. I saw some replays of the past couple of games and saw some crossing routes where the receivers did beat their man... But the play became a run play instead. 

Brown doesn't have the vision or patience for a passing game. Which is why creating so many run plays is working. 

The offense is definitely focusing on the run right now and I'm sure Utah has seen that too. In earlier games I attended where I could watch the WRs, it was frustrating seeing receivers on any number of routes running 2 steps ahead of their defenders only to see AB not finding them, tucking it, and running. Ideally, you'd like to see more of a combination of passing and running to keep defenses honest.

Passing to set up the run, or vice versa isn't going to happen this year because AB truly doesn't have the "patience or vision to execute a passing attack". JoMo has masterfully developed an offense that fits AB, and the blocking schemes needed to make this successful have been extremely well executed, especially vs the Washington schools.

Utah's defense is a bit bigger, a bit faster, and a bit better, and they have plenty of film to figure Oregon out. If I were them, I would have an element of the defense specifically tasked with keeping track of AB and preventing him from running past the line of scrimmage. That shouldn't be difficult given that Oregon isn't going to be passing down field much. Maybe AB, and JoMo's ability to find the weaknesses in opposing defenses, are just too good to contain. We shall see.

It's going to be interesting to see if Utah turns Oregon's run based offense into predictable, and stoppable. 

Edited by latracey
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 11/19/2021 at 10:19 AM, latracey said:

Utah's defense is a bit bigger, a bit faster, and a bit better, and they have plenty of film to figure Oregon out. If I were them, I would have an element of the defense specifically tasked with keeping track of AB and preventing him from running past the line of scrimmage. That shouldn't be difficult given that Oregon isn't going to be passing down field much. Maybe AB, and JoMo's ability to find the weaknesses in opposing defenses, are just too good to contain. We shall see.

Which creates a dilemma for the defense... to stop the run requires a LOT of personnel. WSU were sending a full seven to stop the run and it didn't work. So will Utah sell out to stop the run? If they do they may slow the run but as we saw against UCLA and Colorado, Brown can still pass the ball well enough to get it to play makers. Or... maybe Oregon just continues to run the ball with success. 

Utah doesn't have a stellar run defense this year... they will need some help to stop Oregon's run game but maybe that means they get beat on passing routes because the safeties are brought closer to the line of scrimmage. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

On 11/19/2021 at 2:05 AM, FishDuck Article said:

Mario Cristobal’s offense has been efficient enough to win, but for fans it has not been watchable. There have been some really fun games during the Cristobal years, the 2019 Pac-12 Championship comes to mind where the Ducks ran over Utah, and we hope they do so again tomorrow. However, that game was just as much about an incredible defense ...

Read the full article here...

Call be old school, but I've never cared for East-West football or this basketball on grass (7 on 7) that everyone seems to play. I like this power running stuff that Cristobal preaches.

Mike Tyson said it best..."Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth".

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/19/2021 at 10:33 AM, David Marsh said:

So will Utah sell out to stop the run? If they do they may slow the run but as we saw against UCLA and Colorado, Brown can still pass the ball well enough to get it to play makers

Great analysis DM. Wazzu’s bringing the house strategy got me to wondering if JM’s practices had AB working screens a bit more this week.

I’d also say that the addition of Cardwell’s speed after C.J. went down, and the addition of TJ Bass’s down field blocking ability has helped ignite this resurgence of interest.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/19/2021 at 7:13 AM, Quackanadian said:

I admit that i did notice a lack of pistol in the last couple of games, which is good considering how predictable it had become for opposing teams to stop.

This offence is gearing up. Hopefully these last couple of games they will play lights out.

Cheers. 

It’s been pretty much all year. And would have been last season too had the staff been afforded and off-season. That’s because the Shotgun is what Coach Moorhead has designed his offense around.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 11/19/2021 at 11:22 AM, Washington Waddler said:

I’d also say that the addition of Cardwell’s speed after C.J. went down, and the addition of TJ Bass’s down field blocking ability has helped ignite this resurgence of interest.

Cardwell looks really good the past couple of games. He has some incredible vision... dare I say better than Dye's? And Dye has better vision than Verdell. 

Carwell also looks like he may have that extra gear. I love Dye but the biggest problem with Dye is that he has great acceleration but his top speed isn't that high. So many of Dye's big runs end up with him being caught from behind before the end zone. Verdell has a bit of a higher top speed as his big runs can make the end zone, look at what he did to Utah in 2019 and what he did to Ohio State this year. 

Cardwell has had a good few 20+ yard touchdowns but I really want to see him rip off a run of 40+ for a touchdown. I want to see his top speed. 

• Thumbs Up 1

This week would be perfect.

On 11/19/2021 at 1:09 PM, 30Duck said:

And Oh. St. has not, and there is a good chance won't in the rest of their games, albeit against ranked teams. 

OH ST covered vs Purdue.

On 11/19/2021 at 6:54 PM, Jon Joseph said:

OH ST covered vs Purdue.

Ah, good job, OH. ST

On 11/19/2021 at 12:07 PM, David Marsh said:

Just as Duck fans we have come to associate those flashy numbers with being in the National conversation. Do we need a super flashy offense to win a National Championship? No... but it is certainly nice to have one. 

Flashy no. Balanced? A passing threat? More yards on offense? More PPG? All that added to more rushing yards. Yes. Yes. Yes.

Run Utah into the ground. Stop the Ute's passing game and QB scrambles. This feels like a Duck Day to me.