CO Duck

Cristobal is an Elite Coach

Following Oregon’s second humiliating loss to Utah in as many weeks, I found myself drawn to the growing mob of Ducks fans calling for Coach Cristobal’s head. I even rummaged through my garage searching for my pitch fork, but alas I could only find a plastic rake.

It’s understandable that so many Oregon fans are upset. We’re disappointed that this year’s team ostensibly underachieved. We’re frustrated and bored with an offense that looks like it was stolen from Nick Saban in 2007. We miss the “Oregon brand” of football.

And so we call for Cristobal’s firing. We hope and pray that Miami makes an offer that he can’t refuse…

…We should be careful about what we wish for…

Coach Cristobal is an elite recruiter. Being elite at anything is very difficult. Does he need to evolve as a coach? Absolutely. Does he need to make better personnel choices? A resounding yes. But how many college coaches are really elite at anything? USC spent the last decade searching for an elite coach and finally made a marquee hire, but only after pulling off one of the biggest coaching coups college football has ever seen.

Coach Cristobal’s coaching chops, or lack thereof, are well documented. But he’s learning, and he will learn from this season. Hopefully, he hires a offensive coordinator that will help implement a dynamic offense. I have my doubts, but we will see.

In any event, with MC at the helm, Oregon will continue to be pretty good by playing a boring brand of football with top shelf talent. Oregon will be competitive most years, and every so often they will put it all together and be included in the national championship conversation. If the alternative is roaming the coaching wilderness for the next decade looking for a coach that is elite at anything, is that so bad?

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I think hes already gone.

Wandering in the wilderness, here we come!

I arrived in Miami, from Oregon, in 1971. The Hurricanes became my 2nd favorite team. They were terrible until Coach Lou Saban (Nick's uncle) arrived in 1978. Saban recruited NFL HOF QB Jim Kelly to Miami. It changed everything. Saban & Kelly were gone, but UM beat Nebraska to win the Natty in the Orange Bowl Game (I was at the game) to end the 1983 season. 

Back then, for me, a young guy raising a family, Miami was a wonderful place to live. I loved living in Miami & Miami Beach even more than I loved living in Oregon. 

I totally understand MC's torment right now. So many factors. Most of all, he wants to win another Natty. My prediction is ... he will stay in Eugene. It's the right decision for his future.

• Thumbs Up 1

Beer is cheaper in Florida.

On 12/5/2021 at 12:35 PM, CO Duck said:

Following Oregon’s second humiliating loss to Utah in as many weeks, I found myself drawn to the growing mob of Ducks fans calling for Coach Cristobal’s head. I even rummaged through my garage searching for my pitch fork, but alas I could only find a plastic rake.

It’s understandable that so many Oregon fans are upset. We’re disappointed that this year’s team ostensibly underachieved. We’re frustrated and bored with an offense that looks like it was stolen from Nick Saban in 2007. We miss the “Oregon brand” of football.

And so we call for Cristobal’s firing. We hope and pray that Miami makes an offer that he can’t refuse…

…We should be careful about what we wish for…

Coach Cristobal is an elite recruiter. Being elite at anything is very difficult. Does he need to evolve as a coach? Absolutely. Does he need to make better personnel choices? A resounding yes. But how many college coaches are really elite at anything? USC spent the last decade searching for an elite coach and finally made a marquee hire, but only after pulling off one of the biggest coaching coups college football has ever seen.

Coach Cristobal’s coaching chops, or lack thereof, are well documented. But he’s learning, and he will learn from this season. Hopefully, he hires a offensive coordinator that will help implement a dynamic offense. I have my doubts, but we will see.

In any event, with MC at the helm, Oregon will continue to be pretty good by playing a boring brand of football with top shelf talent. Oregon will be competitive most years, and every so often they will put it all together and be included in the national championship conversation. If the alternative is roaming the coaching wilderness for the next decade looking for a coach that is elite at anything, is that so bad?

62-60 is elite? OK.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 12/5/2021 at 9:45 AM, Just Ducky said:

Beer is cheaper in Florida.

Maybe cheaper, but no way does Florida have better tasting beer than right here in Oregon.

I think Mario can afford it.

BTW, I brew the most delicious beer on the planet in my own garage for about $1.00 per pint!

Sorry, it's not for sale tho.

He is an elite recruiter, maybe. X and O guy, No. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Mario is an elite recruiter, still working on being an elite coach. Saban is an elite coach.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/5/2021 at 10:20 AM, Wood Duck said:

Maybe cheaper, but no way does Florida have better tasting beer than right here in Oregon.

I think Mario can afford it.

BTW, I brew the most delicious beer on the planet in my own garage for about $1.00 per pint!

Sorry, it's not for sale tho.

Didn’t say it was better. I sold beer for over 30 years in Oregon and you are correct. I do know more about beer than politics in sports.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/5/2021 at 11:23 AM, 30Duck said:

Mario is an elite recruiter, still working on being an elite coach. Saban is an elite coach.

Exactly. He’s still a work in progress. But, how many college coaches are actually elite at anything? Recruiting, Xs and Os, player development, etc.? Not many, and even less are elite at more than one of those skills.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/5/2021 at 11:21 AM, VegasDuck said:

He is an elite recruiter, maybe. X and O guy, No. 

Completely agree. But he can learn, or hire guys that are Xs and Os guys. In which case he will need to cede more control to those coaches. I think his biggest weakness is he’s too stubborn. For example, he stubbornly stuck with AB when AB obviously was ineffective. 

Wonder how many decades before he becomes an X and Os guy?

On 12/5/2021 at 10:38 AM, PittDuck said:

Wandering in the wilderness, here we come!

I hope not. But that’s what happens in college football. Look at Texas, USC, Miami, FSU, Nebraska, etc. All big-time programs with winning traditions relegated to mediocrity for years (decades?) because finding a good coach that is elite at something is really, really hard.

On 12/5/2021 at 10:37 AM, 1Ducker1 said:

I think hes already gone.

That seems to be what most of the reports are saying.

On 12/5/2021 at 11:12 AM, Jon Joseph said:

62-60 is elite? OK.

He’s elite at some things, but not all. It could be worse, he could be average at everything.

On 12/5/2021 at 12:09 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

Wonder how many decades before he becomes an X and Os guy?

Or truly cedes control to an X and O guy…

On 12/5/2021 at 11:12 AM, CO Duck said:

Or truly cedes control to an X and O guy…

He wont though, thats the problem.

With Mario we win some games and play ugly football -Im not satisfied with that. Winners always strive to move forward and good coaches dont lose to a mediocre team by 28 in a conference championship. Im not sure his recruits are any stars by the way they played against Utah--but hey thats my opinion and I have watched a lot of losing seasons of Duck football. we are all welcome to our own opinions.

On 12/5/2021 at 9:35 AM, CO Duck said:

I even rummaged through my garage searching for my pitch fork, but alas I could only find a plastic rake.

Made me smile....I do love humor in writing, and I only wish you would post more often.  Fun read, and makes me want more...

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Miami would fire him if his team performed like Oregon did the PAC 12 CG. Does Mario really think that any administration that treats Manny Diaz this way will suddenly show patience with him? Doubtful. The Curse of the Duck is strong with coaches who exit this program. My guess is it will follow MC to The U.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 12/5/2021 at 11:50 AM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

The Curse of the Duck is strong with coaches who exit this program. My guess is it will follow MC to The U.

Yes, I will go out on a limb right now and say that Cristobal lasts maybe 5 seasons at Miami and ends up being fired with a roughly 35-25 record over those years. No NY6 bowl games and no ACC championships.

Edited by C J

It takes a special Coach and a special quarterback to win a championship in football.  The other players matter, but not nearly as much.

The Ducks may have been a special quarterback away from beating Stanford and Utah in the regular season, but also lacked a special coach to get a Pac12 championship and a CFB playoff invite.  

Coach C is a genuine and admirable man, and possibly the hardest working coach in college football.  He wins recruits.

His attention to detail and focus on the little things may be his blindside.  As a game coach, he seems to lack the ability to see or feel shifts in the emotions of the players.  

I wish him well in Miami.

• Thumbs Up 4

On 12/5/2021 at 12:19 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Made me smile....I do love humor in writing, and I only wish you would post more often.  Fun read, and makes me want more...

Thanks, Charles Fischer. If only I had more time…work, wife, and kids seem to command most of my attention. Responsibilities are the worst. 

On 12/5/2021 at 2:07 PM, C J said:

Yes, I will go out on a limb right now and say that Cristobal lasts maybe 5 seasons at Miami and ends up being fired with a roughly 35-25 record over those years. No NY6 bowl games and no ACC championships.

I’d be curious to know how often it works out for a native son that returns as a head coach. It seems the hype is almost always greater than the results. MC should consider how returning to Nebraska has worked out for Scott Frost. Scott Frost the player was a two-time national champion quarterback. A true legend in Husker lore. Coach Frost is a pariah whose coaching seat is awfully warm right now. Husker fans are literally (they’re in Nebraska, after all) grabbing their pitchforks to run him out of town.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

MC is elite at making $$$ too bad he cant make an offense.

On 12/5/2021 at 11:19 AM, 1Ducker1 said:

He wont though, thats the problem.

With Mario we win some games and play ugly football -Im not satisfied with that. Winners always strive to move forward and good coaches dont lose to a mediocre team by 28 in a conference championship. Im not sure his recruits are any stars by the way they played against Utah--but hey thats my opinion and I have watched a lot of losing seasons of Duck football. we are all welcome to our own opinions.

I really don't think Utah is a mediocre  team.

Time will tell because Ohio State is slightly better than Oregon this year.

On 12/5/2021 at 6:55 PM, Mike West said:

I really don't think Utah is a mediocre  team.

Time will tell because Ohio State is slightly better than Oregon this year.

They lost to Oregon St.