30Duck

Will Ty Thompson Start in the Alamo Bowl?

If he doesn't, my head will explode.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

I hear Mario left a note on the coaches desk that said to start AB.

• Haha 18
  • Thumbs Up 1

If someone other than AB doesn't start, I'll tape the game and watch later if if it turns out to be a contest.

There is ZERO reason to start Brown in this game. Zip, nada, none. Brown should have been benched in the 2nd game vs Utah if not the first game vs Utah. He is a gritty, competitive journeyman QB who played at Oregon the same way he has played throughout his time in CFB.

Only a 100% risk adverse coach would have started Brown in all 13 games. A coach who did nothing to have Oregon prepared to play ball in 2021.

• Thumbs Up 7

I think Cristobal, now that I look at it, just wanted to make sure Ty and the rest of the QBs retained the most eligibilty possible.  He knew he was leaving.  

Will he start?  Tough call.  

Everybody wants Ty, but I want to see Ashford and Butterfield just as much.  Plus they have more experience in the offense.. lets start Ashford and split time with Butterfield.  They deserve to audition for Oregon or another University.   

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 2

On 12/8/2021 at 10:02 AM, Jon Joseph said:

If someone other than AB doesn't start, I'll tape the game and watch later if if it turns out to be a contest.

There is ZERO reason to start Brown in this game. Zip, nada, none. Brown should have been benched in the 2nd game vs Utah if not the first game vs Utah. He is a gritty, competitive journeyman QB who played at Oregon the same way he has played throughout his time in CFB.

Only a 100% risk adverse coach would have started Brown in all 13 games. A coach who did nothing to have Oregon prepared to play ball in 2021.

Jon, if you tune in long enough to see AB starting, will you be able to walk away?  

Based on my experience in traffic, most people can’t help but watch the wreck.

• Haha 3

I say with BMac as head coach they should throw some packages in there with Ty and Ashford at the same time. If they get rolling on offense and can develop some tempo, Ty could hit Ashford with a quick pass or reverse. He could use his speed to take the ball up field if available or pass it if that opens up. Might as well put everything on the table and let these kids have some fun to end the season!

• Thumbs Up 1

Winning the Alamo Bowl is not the be all and end all of Oregon football.  I like the concept that these back-up QB's deserve to enjoy the game.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

I  heartily agree with Lrod.  I'd like to see all three freshmen quarterbacks!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/8/2021 at 5:05 PM, Jemangi said:

I  heartily agree with Lrod.  I'd like to see all three freshmen quarterbacks!

Great idea! Start the three freshmen QBs respectively in the first three quarters, and the best one judged by the coaches gets to do the fourth!

Edited by toketeeman
  • Thumbs Up 5

On 12/8/2021 at 10:45 AM, Lrod said:

I think Cristobal, now that I look at it, just wanted to make sure Ty and the rest of the QBs retained the most eligibilty possible.  He knew he was leaving.  

I strongly doubt he kept our young QBs on the bench out of the goodness of his heart.

On 12/8/2021 at 6:07 PM, Buzby said:

I strongly doubt he kept our young QBs on the bench out of the goodness of his heart.

Gotta prepare for tomorrow at some point.

This is mind numbing. I was looking at ABs total yards from scrimmage against Herberts and if ESPN has the stats correct AB would go ahead of Justin with only 200 more total yards from scrimmage in the Alamo bowl for their senior seasons. 

If this is correct it only proves that MC was a poorer coach than we thought and a poor utilizer of talent. 

Makes me me even more excited that MC is gone. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/8/2021 at 6:10 PM, Jarhead1 said:

Gotta prepare for tomorrow at some point.

I believe his tomorrow is in Miami.

If not, why not?

Do you you really want the guy to start his first game in Atlanta vs Georgia? Brown has done NOTHING to 'earn' the start.  Brown is not playing in the NFL. Sitting Brown will not hurt his draft chances.

If I'm TT and I don't start, I am seriously considering heading for the portal and taking teammates with me. 

Of course, if TT has no more upside than AB it doesn't matter and the coaches screwed up signing TT and not coaching him up. On Mario if this is the case. Like so much other frustration with the team and for the fans.

• Thumbs Up 1

Brown went 10-3 and took the Ducks to the Pac 12 championship game.  Did he play poorly for most of the games, yes.  However, to say he did nothing is quite the overstatement.  He had the 2nd most passing yards in the Pac 12.  The 2nd most rushing yards as a QB in the Pac 12.  He accounted for the 3rd most TDs as a QB in the Pac 12.  He won the most games as a starting Pac 12 QB over all other Pac 12 QBs. 

Those are indisputable facts, no matter how much we don't want them to be.

I have never been a AB fan and I never thought he was going to get the Ducks to the playoffs.  However, he has absolutely earned the right to start the bowl game.  I also believe unless he is playing like he did against tOSU or OSU, he should not finish the game.  All of the other QBs have not played in 4 games to keep their year of eligibility, so I would definitely play at least TT if not all of them.

With the likelihood of none of the coaches going to be at Oregon next year, they aren't going to care about Oregon's future.

• Thumbs Up 1

I guess TT will start. MC was probably the reason we saw so little of the freshmen, again on the other hand maybe it was the OC. We’ll never know for sure. 

The kid's a gamer with no NFL upside. Perfect game management at Ohio State. Close wins over inferior opponents. Terrible at Stanford and terrible twice vs Utah. 

I believe it was a mistake to start AB at all this season? But Mario is totally risk-adverse and perhaps, was playing this season more for Mario than for the Ducks? 

Who knows when a 'representative' of Miami first reached out to Mario? After the opening game beat down by Bama would not surprise me.

If Brown gets the start its out of sympathy and the Ducks, playing against Caleb Williams and Bob Stoops, could easily be blown out.

Does this Oregon team have the heart and the will to show up for this game?

I'd bet my ex-wife's half of our ex-house on OU. (Well, if I had an ex-wife and the current one doesn't read my posts, so I don't think I'll be shopping for a new one after 43 years)

That team wants to show Lincoln he made a bad choice leaving.

The Ducks, I don't think they have the same moxie.

On 12/8/2021 at 12:08 PM, Babyjesus615 said:

Might as well put everything on the table and let these kids have some fun to end the season!

Yep! We got nothing to lose. (Except players)

Would Morehead have agreed to stay and coach the bowl game without getting an assurance that he could run the offense?

My guess is that AB will start out of respect, will be given plays that leverage his strengths, then be replaced by one of the young bucks at the end of the first quarter to finish the game.

Morehead is a class act in my view.  He accepted a back seat role without going public with his feelings.

Edited by Duck1984
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 12/10/2021 at 11:27 AM, Duck1984 said:

Would Morehead have agreed to stay and coach the bowl game without getting an assurance that he could run the offense?

My guess is that AB will start out of respect, will be given plays that leverage his strengths, then be replaced by one of the young bucks at the end of the first quarter to finish the game.

Morehead is a class act in my view.  He accepted a back seat role without going public with his feelings.

Moorehead makes $900k by staying through the bowl game if I understand his contract correctly.

On 12/10/2021 at 11:54 AM, swimz said:

Moorehead makes $900k by staying through the bowl game if I understand his contract correctly.

Divide that by about 40.