deschutesduck

Moorhead Hanging Around to Coach at the Alamo Bowl

Could be a real look into how much Mario was managing the offense and play calling

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Like 1

Very cool, and thanks for posting this!

Joe Moorhead_Fox Sports Video.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

But, McClendon is interim head coach. Interesting. 

Looks like an opportunity for football forensics: we will now likely find out how much Cristobal was really telling Moorhead how to do his job.

• Like 2

This is a head scratcher if true.

I can’t see Jo Mo doing this unless money is on the line.

Not sure if he gets a bonus, Uncle Phil is making it worthwhile for Akron, or both.

On 12/8/2021 at 11:22 PM, Duck1984 said:

This is a head scratcher if true.

I can’t see Jo Mo doing this unless money is on the line.

Not sure if he gets a bonus, Uncle Phil is making it worthwhile for Akron, or both.

A big chunk of his salary is on the line should he leave prior to the bowl game.

Because he has zip to do otherwise. Akron's won 3 games over the past 3 years and there is no bowl game for the zips.

Actually I am very grateful for this offer. I like the guy and appreciate what he tried to do. He like AB gave there all, AB put himself at great risk, and Moorhead ended up in the hospital. 

It will be interesting to see Moorhead run the offense without Cristobal around. The Utah game was a real head scratcher, along with many of the games, and it will be interesting to see what Jo Mo does with the team!

Thank you for sticking around and helping these young student athletes who have worked the whole year for this opportunity. It is interesting he seemed to have left before Cristobal and came back after Cristobal left, interesting...... You get it is all about the student athletes, thanks, Go Zips next year, and Go Ducks!

Doesn't matter to me why...good news is good news.

• Thumbs Up 1

Question for the contract junkies.  I believe the departures of both Mario and Moorhead were announced the same day.  Moorhead's contract calls for him to get 70% of his salary if Cristobal leaves.  The $700,000 question---is JM due the payment if he accepts another job before Mario officially leaves?

Moorhead’s buyout should Oregon fire him without cause before Jan. 31, 2022 is 70 percent of his remaining salary or if Mario Cristobal were to leave, UO would owe Moorhead 70 percent of 12 months salary or the remainder of his contract term, whichever is less. There is an offset in either scenario.

We may never know the details, but not much of this seems right.  There is plenty to do at Akron.

Ducks should not owe JoMo anything, as he quit to accept another job before Mario made his decision.

But it would not surprise me if JoMo asked uncle Phil for a shot at leading the offense without Mario holding him on a pass rush like O-line guys often do.

And Uncle Phil made it worth Akron’s while to let JoMo try his mojo on Oklahoma.

Edited by Duck1984

According to an article by James Crepes in the Oregonian earlier this week:

"Each of Oregon's Assistants, including Morehead, have earned a $10,000 bonus for winning the Pac-12 North division.  They also are in line fo a $15,000 bonus for competing in a bowl game with at least seven wins, but must coach in the game to earn that bonus."  Not a huge amount considering what they make, but it would defray some moving expense.

The article also speaks to McDuck's comment above about Morehead's salary going forward.  Oregon would pay that for 12 months, subject to offset of any earnings Morehead makes, termed "mitigation".

The forfeited bonus savings to Oregon by MC leaving early is $700,000.  There are other potential savings should coaching staff leave early for other jobs.

On 12/9/2021 at 8:01 AM, Grandpa Duck said:

The article also speaks to McDuck's comment above about Morehead's salary going forward.  Oregon would pay that for 12 months, subject to offset of any earnings Morehead makes, termed "mitigation".

JoMo quits and gets paid for another year?

Not likely.  

More likely that he is not charged for breaching his contract because he accepted a head coaching gig outside the conference at a non-P5 school.

Edited by Duck1984

Thanks, but why?

On 12/9/2021 at 8:54 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Thanks, but why?

Because the Zips want to keep wearing the swoosh.

On 12/9/2021 at 9:10 AM, Haywarduck said:

Because he has zip to do otherwise. Akron's won 3 games over the past 3 years and there is no bowl game for the zips.

Actually I am very grateful for this offer. I like the guy and appreciate what he tried to do. He like AB gave there all, AB put himself at great risk, and Moorhead ended up in the hospital. 

It will be interesting to see Moorhead run the offense without Cristobal around. The Utah game was a real head scratcher, along with many of the games, and it will be interesting to see what Jo Mo does with the team!

Thank you for sticking around and helping these young student athletes who have worked the whole year for this opportunity. It is interesting he seemed to have left before Cristobal and came back after Cristobal left, interesting...... You get it is all about the student athletes, thanks, Go Zips next year, and Go Ducks!

Thanks for the 'zip.' LOL

Each of the nine assistant coaches has a clause in their contract that provides that when the head coach leaves they can be terminated.  If terminated they receive a percentage of their compensation, either 60% or 70%, for the rest of their contract term or for 12 months, whichever period is shorter.  Right now, the shorter period for all nine assistants is 12 months.  In every case if the assistant finds a job that percentage that Oregon owes is mitigated.  That means whatever the new job pays offsets what Oregon owes.  So they may receive nothing from Oregon if they keep working.

On 12/9/2021 at 12:44 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Very cool, and thanks for posting this!

Joe Moorhead_Fox Sports Video.jpg

Does this = AB starting at QB? I hope not.

On 12/9/2021 at 11:17 AM, Grandpa Duck said:

Each of the nine assistant coaches has a clause in their contract that provides that when the head coach leaves they can be terminated.

Morehead announced that he was leaving prior to Mario’s decision.  

I also have not seen any reports of football coach terminations.  

While negotiations are always possible, I don’t see how Oregon is on the hook for any salary for coaches that walk.

What if this is Joe's interview for the job? What if he took the Akron gig out of frustration of the Cristobal micromanagement regime. AND it also wasn't a done deal that Cristobal was bouncing the Sunday after the Pac-12 Championship game. I believe they were still playing Monopoly with Miami at that time. Perhaps with the job open and no obvious candidate he may be given the shot to call the offense his way. McClendon is the interim HC sure, but that likely won't matter if Joe is calling the offense.

• Thumbs Up 1

I would expect JM to start AB but I don't expect AB to finish the game.

• Thumbs Up 1

Here is some speculation that may help you.  We don't know what Morehead said to Mullens.  Just suppose he said: "I understand that MC is considering leaving.  If he does, and I am terminated, I expect to receive my compensation."   And Mullens replied: "If MC leaves you most likely will not have a job at Oregon.  You are not a candidate for head coach and it is highly likely that whomever we hire will want to bring his own OC."  And Morehead said: "Well, I want my bonuses, so please keep me on through the bowl game."  Then he said to Akron, "I expect to be terminated at Oregon.  When I am terminated I will be right here to start work.  If I am not terminated, I will quit the Oregon job in time to be here for spring practice."

If you were Morehead does that sound like a reasonable employment strategy?  He's not at Akron until he signs.  If you were Mullens, would you keep Morehead on through the bowl game?

On 12/9/2021 at 11:30 AM, Babyjesus615 said:

What if this is Joe's interview for the job? What if he took the Akron gig out of frustration of the Cristobal micromanagement regime. AND it also wasn't a done deal that Cristobal was bouncing the Sunday after the Pac-12 Championship game. I believe they were still playing Monopoly with Miami at that time. Perhaps with the job open and no obvious candidate he may be given the shot to call the offense his way. McClendon is the interim HC sure, but that likely won't matter if Joe is calling the offense.

Thank you for the interesting angle. 

As the world turns these days of our lives, the bold and beautiful are making all my children fall off the edge of night.

• Haha 2

nw77b, I have lots of laughs reading posts.  Your line of soap opera titles is classic, and a good belly laugh.  I also laugh frequently when I am writing posts.  This site is lots of fun.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/9/2021 at 11:39 AM, Grandpa Duck said:

Here is some speculation that may help you.  We don't know what Morehead said to Mullens.  Just suppose he said: "I understand that MC is considering leaving.  If he does, and I am terminated, I expect to receive my compensation."   And Mullens replied: "If MC leaves you most likely will not have a job at Oregon.  You are not a candidate for head coach and it is highly likely that whomever we hire will want to bring his own OC."  And Morehead said: "Well, I want my bonuses, so please keep me on through the bowl game."  Then he said to Akron, "I expect to be terminated at Oregon.  When I am terminated I will be right here to start work.  If I am not terminated, I will quit the Oregon job in time to be here for spring practice."

If you were Morehead does that sound like a reasonable employment strategy?  He's not at Akron until he signs.  If you were Mullens, would you keep Morehead on through the bowl game?

Joe explained at his first Akron press conference that his move started with his agent contacting Akron during the season.  

He made the decision on Akron to be two hours from family, and an hour away from his son playing college football.  He said he left a few zeros off the end of his contract because family comes first.

Joe went home.

• Like 2

On 12/9/2021 at 12:26 PM, Duck1984 said:

Joe explained at his first Akron press conference that his move started with his agent contacting Akron during the season.  

He made the decision on Akron to be two hours from family, and an hour away from his son playing college football.  He said he left a few zeros off the end of his contract because family comes first.

Joe went home.

If you had a serious illness or episode or know someone who did, it might give you a "get with God" moment.  Where you evaluate what is really important.  My father used to tell me all about his dreams of traveling, he and my mom would do once he retired at 65.  How important it was to plan and save so you can finance those dreams in the future.  Sadly, he died of a massive heart attack 18 months before his retirement, never to realize those dreams.  There needs to be balance.  I wish Joe well in his dreams.

• Like 3